The online racing simulator
Quote from samjh :Neither of the two FP sessions are reliable indicators of real performance. FP3 is closer to the truth, but still a little off.

and this year it's not like we'll get a true indication even in qualifying~

some cars are ought to be better at heavy fuel long run than low fuel single lap pace, or vice versa.
Don't forget they've added several new corners in an infield section, thus making the track longer and different from last year.
Quote from JCTK :some cars are ought to be better at heavy fuel long run than low fuel single lap pace, or vice versa.

Indeed. Bridgestone has stated that the fastest four (Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, RBR) have similar tyre wear characteristics, but Sauber has the advantage in tyre conservation. The Renault engine is known for being fuel-efficient, contrast to Ferrari, which is rumoured to be fuel-hungry. There are whispers that Williams might reintroduce KERS some time during the season, although it seems very unlikely.
Quote from Rudagar :Don't forget they've added several new corners in an infield section, thus making the track longer and different from last year.

I think he's refering to how different last year's FP1 results looked compare to qualifying/race...
Quote from samjh :Indeed. Bridgestone has stated that the fastest four (Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, RBR) have similar tyre wear characteristics, but Sauber has the advantage in tyre conservation. The Renault engine is known for being fuel-efficient, contrast to Ferrari, which is rumoured to be fuel-hungry. There are whispers that Williams might reintroduce KERS some time during the season, although it seems very unlikely.

Ferrari are always fuel-hungry~ but Shell has their "fuel economy formula" to compensate~
(well that's what Shell's PR dept is going to say anyway~ XD)

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams reintroduce their KERS (once they get more testing of it with the Porsche), since it's still allowed in the regulations and the teams won't stay this united forever (especially since they were the first team that got kicked out of FOTA last year), especially when it comes to performance gains~

the good thing is that Williams' system is light, so would be much less a compromise on handling and setup of the car~
Quote from samjh :Neither of the two FP sessions are reliable indicators of real performance. FP3 is closer to the truth, but still a little off.

With less tyres to play with as well it's even harder to read.
Actually you're right. Q3 qualifiers have to race on the tyres they used to set their fastest Q3 lap, so we could possibly see a lot of Q3 drivers getting stuck in traffic after their first and early tyre stop.

Quote from JCTK :the good thing is that Williams' system is light, so would be much less a compromise on handling and setup of the car~

The smaller mass is an advantage, but the disadvantage is that their flywheel system can affect the car's handling adversely. The flywheel is a heavy mass rotating at tens of thousands of revolutions per minute. The gyroscopic effect could possibly cause unwanted stability.
That traffic being the HRT cars they lapped 5 times before the first pit stop.
Quote from samjh :Actually you're right. Q3 qualifiers have to race on the tyres they used to set their fastest Q3 lap, so we could possibly see a lot of Q3 drivers getting stuck in traffic after their first and early tyre stop.

The smaller mass is an advantage, but the disadvantage is that their flywheel system can affect the car's handling adversely. The flywheel is a heavy mass rotating at tens of thousands of revolutions per minute. The gyroscopic effect could possibly cause unwanted stability.

The force would be equal and in all directions. If it was a big massive hammer you'd have a point but it's just a disc spinning smoothly.
Downforce has to be remvoed imo, F1 is still over 10 seconds faster then GP2 so theres quite a bit to play with.
Based on those statistics, I was right, we are in a for a good season of racing. So far, the changes have worked to improve racing, it's not at 1983 standards but better than it was. Which is what I've been saying.
personally, I think that they should make a list of changes, then leave it. The established teams will have a big advantage in adapting to new rule changes, so new teams are way off the pace...when they are way off the pace, they have trouble getting funding, then die. Then repeat cycle. Leaving the rules alone for a bit would allow new teams to catch up to the established teams in terms of pace, and hopefully be able to stick around for longer. Then maybe rule changes could come into effect, but only one or two at a time. Everyone would be able to adapt fairly well and the laptimes would be closer. Closer laptimes should theoretically equal more passing opportunities.

Changes I'd like to see:
- mandatory stops
- narrower front wing, wider rear, but limit downforce and turbulence a bit
- limit the length of the cars...2010 cars look like pencils
- tyre compound changes to match mandatory stops
- smack Tilke in the face - doesn't really help now, but it would make me feel better
- oust Bernie - I'm convinced nothing good can come from anyone named that after Bernie MAdoff. Plus, he's insane and actively tries to kill the sport at every turn to 'improve spectacle', but only has made it worse
-get rid of the Bahrain parade grounds, and bring back a real track like Indy or Belle Isle

Then just leave it for at least two years.
still haven't decided whether I like refuelling or no refuelling.
after that, DON'T MAKE SWEEPING CHANGES for reasons I explained earlier.

Quote :Based on those statistics, I was right, we are in a for a good season of racing. So far, the changes have worked to improve racing, it's not at 1983 standards but better than it was. Which is what I've been saying.

yeah, but there was no passing at the front, where the cameras are trained all the time. more than half the passing was Sutil and Kubica working their ways through the field after the lap 1 spin also.
Quote from BlueFlame :Based on those statistics, I was right, we are in a for a good season of racing. So far, the changes have worked to improve racing, it's not at 1983 standards but better than it was. Which is what I've been saying.

I lol, last year there where less cars and there wasn't 3 teams over 4 seconds off the pace, this is where the overtakes are coming from(other then mechanical issues).
Quote from Mustafur :I lol, last year there where less cars and there wasn't 3 teams over 4 seconds off the pace, this is where the overtakes are coming from(other then mechanical issues).

Who cares, racing is racing, doesn't matter if you are 1st 5th or 26th.
Personally id like to see, a special event at some random track, where the F1 drivers and or test drivers have a once off event to just race, with refueling tire changes and everything back to the fun
Its full proof like a all star event.
Dont even ask me what im getting at cause it sounded better in my head.
too early to tell yet, apart from anything else due to testing regs, new tech regs and a lot of new driver team combinations there was a large desire by almost everyone to make sure they saw the chequered flag. add in the fact that they are on a run of fly away races which means that the supply chain for replacement parts can be a nightmare and front wings etc begin to look like they're made from unobtanium and are as common as hen's teath (or if you're a new team hen dentists).

lets wait till this season's over and also discount the new teams when we're looking at the spread between fastest and slowest cars to make it a fiar comparison
Quote from BlueFlame :Who cares, racing is racing, doesn't matter if you are 1st 5th or 26th.

It matters for the fans though! We only care about racing in the top 8 or so really.

Loved the stats. Shows, to me, that the real killer was the standardisation (and limiting) of engines to a 'spec', and the stepped floor.

If everyone has the same power, and grip that is reduced by following a car, then passing is going to occur less.

The days of Ferrari having a crap chassis but a lot of power, versus a Williams with a decent chassis and less power are long gone, but it produced more overtaking...

Ally that with tyres that are far too durable overall, but far too punishing of pushing (and yes, you can have both!!! In circa 1983 they pushed like mad all race, and the tyres lasted the distance - although granted tyre and car development have made both more sensitive to problems, plus the driving standard is undoubtedly higher).

And last but not least, as I alluded to in the previous paragraph, all the drivers are much closer in terms of ability. Even the rubbish ones are pretty damn close to the good ones, compared to the spread in the 80s.
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.
Quote from BlueFlame :Who cares, racing is racing, doesn't matter if you are 1st 5th or 26th.

The problem is there hasn't been adequate investment in new broadcasting technology by FOM so you can follow the race for 26th. IMO TV broadcasting is next to redundant and the internet is the future. With the internet the possibility of being able to follow whichever driver you want atc... is massive and would be a huge improvement over what we have now.

Of course broadcasters won't be too happy but that's tough shit, that's just business.
Quote from yalpllitsi :ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

+1
Quote from yalpllitsi :Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

Omg...... lol you just ruined the thread.

Formula One Season 2010
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG