The online racing simulator
Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
I'll Stick to my good old Pinto, or should that be OHC or EAO, or T-88
God only knows what the Focus 1.6 had in it then! I'm certain though that our 1.6 was a Zetec/Mondeo derived engine that didn't look like the one in the photo on that wiki page. It was the 110bhp model though so maybe the 100bhp 1.6 was based on the Yamaha/Puma/Fiesta engine?
Something like that, yeah. The Focus generations hang around for so long they end up having all kinds of different powerplants from what I can see. Beware the diesels of course, because they're mostly French PSA (Pretty Sh*t Automobiles) engines.
The 1.6 was 110bhp? Our 2.0 is only 125bhp, and then they managed to squeeze a 1.8 in between the two!
Quote from Minimaxman :The 1.6 was 110bhp? Our 2.0 is only 125bhp, and then they managed to squeeze a 1.8 in between the two!

2l and only 125bhp? That's pathetic.
Quote from BlueFlame :2l and only 125bhp? That's pathetic.

Dude, it's a family hatch, a cheap one at that. What do you expect?
Hes not having a go at the bhp figure really, but the bhp per litre is pretty shite.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Hes not having a go at the bhp figure really, but the bhp per litre is pretty shite.

Exactly, especially when you can get more bhp from a 900cc bike.
Comments made by people who know diddly squat about engines ^
Quote from BlueFlame :Exactly, especially when you can get more bhp from a 900cc bike.

Stick the powerfull 900cc bike engine in a mid sized hatchback and see what happens , you'll then understand why a bike engine can be 900cc and have lots of horsepower, and an engine that has to push a heck of a lot more weight can't.
Quote from danowat :Stick the powerfull 900cc bike engine in a mid sized hatchback and see what happens , you'll then understand why a bike engine can be 900cc and have lots of horsepower, and an engine that has to push a heck of a lot more weight can't.

The engine still has more horsepower, regardless of torque and regardless of what vehicle it's in, as that does not change the horsepower. Torque is what matters, yes, but what he's talking about is a petrol engine, it should easily get 100bhp per litre. Any engine that doesn't will be bad on fuel consumption.
Quote from BlueFlame :The engine still has more horsepower, regardless of torque and regardless of what vehicle it's in, as that does not change the horsepower. Torque is what matters, yes, but what he's talking about is a petrol engine, it should easily get 100bhp per litre. Any engine that doesn't will be bad on fuel consumption.

Oh dear

I take it you don't have a grasp on hp vs torque then.
Quote from danowat :Oh dear

I take it you don't have a grasp on hp vs torque then.

An excess of torque and an excess of power are the same thing (bad fuel consumption)
If you have a small amount of power but a big engine, you are stressing the BIG engine therefore using more fuel than you would in a smaller engine with more or the same ammount of power as you don't have to drive with as much vigor on the throttle because you have more power thus not stressing the engine and using less power but this theory only works if the subject doesn't have an excess of torque or power.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again........Oh dear.
Blueflame - so wrong on every count. Please don't discuss engines if you don't understand the first thing about them.
Well then tell me how I'm wrong then.
More torque = more power at any given revs.
Less power/litre != Worse Fuel Consumption (F1 has a high hp/litre, but hardly does 80MPG)
Excess of torque or power (whatever an excess is) != Worse Fuel Consumption
Low power from a big engine != Lots of stress on said engine.

Essentially, you could have written "sdlfsdfhsoijfsaij'asmf#'wqe-34=2934i2 2432-i4293u42j4" and been just as correct.
Quote from tristancliffe :More torque = more power at any given revs.
Less power/litre != Worse Fuel Consumption (F1 has a high hp/litre, but hardly does 80MPG)
Excess of torque or power (whatever an excess is) != Worse Fuel Consumption
Low power from a big engine != Lots of stress on said engine.

Essentially, you could have written "sdlfsdfhsoijfsaij'asmf#'wqe-34=2934i2 2432-i4293u42j4" and been just as correct.

I didn't say high horsepower gives good mpg, so where you drew that from I don't know. If you have the throttle opened fully in ANY engine, you are using the maximum fuel possible because it's under maximum stress, providing you are in gear and moving, and in the correct gear to be going as fast as possible. An unpowerful engine will take longer to reach its max speed, therefor being under maximum stress for longer than a more powerful car. When talking about BHP one assumes figures of performance, so for this theory we use rough and harsh throttle inputs, like on, or off. Like I said, excess, over 300bhp is excess horsepower. 200bhp is more than enough, so for this subject we say 200bhp is perfect bhp output. 200bhp in a 2000cc engine is quite mediocre. But I bet it gets a better mpg number than 125bhp from a 2000cc engine. That's 75 horse power, thats effectively another car, that's missing. And that is what I was originally saying.
Oh dear.
My miata had an 1.8l engine with 140hp. My S2000 has a 2.0l engine with 240hp. I didn't care for mpg in those cars, but of course i'll always try and see how much i can get out of a car... just out of curiosity.

How do you explain the miata had much better mpg than the S2000. By your (confused) logic it should be the other way around.
Quote from jibber :My miata had an 1.8l engine with 140hp. My S2000 has a 2.0l engine with 240hp. I didn't care for mpg in those cars, but of course i'll always try and see how much i can get out of a car... just out of curiosity.

How do you explain the miata had much better mpg than the S2000. By your (confused) logic it should be the other way around.

I have not said that cars with more horsepower per litre get a better MPG, you people don't read.
Quote from BlueFlame :I have not said that cars with more horsepower per litre get a better MPG, you people don't read.

right...

Quote from BlueFlame :200bhp in a 2000cc engine is quite mediocre. But I bet it gets a better mpg number than 125bhp from a 2000cc engine. That's 75 horse power, thats effectively another car, that's missing. And that is what I was originally saying.

Quote from jibber :right...

Yea, comparing a Ford engine to, ANY other. Of course it will get better mpg
Quote from BlueFlame :I didn't say high horsepower gives good mpg, so where you drew that from I don't know.

I drew them from here:
Quote from BlueFlame :...it should easily get 100bhp per litre. Any engine that doesn't will be bad on fuel consumption.

Quote from BlueFlame :If you have a small amount of power but a big engine, you are stressing the BIG engine therefore using more fuel than you would in a smaller engine with more or the same ammount of power as you don't have to drive with as much vigor on the throttle because you have more power thus not stressing the engine and using less power but this theory only works if the subject doesn't have an excess of torque or power.

Quote from BlueFlame :If you have the throttle opened fully in ANY engine, you are using the maximum fuel possible because it's under maximum stress

Wrong
Quote from BlueFlame :An unpowerful engine will take longer to reach its max speed, therefor being under maximum stress for longer than a more powerful car.

But it'll also use less fuel per bang...
Quote from BlueFlame :When talking about BHP one assumes figures of performance, so for this theory we use rough and harsh throttle inputs, like on, or off. Like I said, excess, over 300bhp is excess horsepower. 200bhp is more than enough, so for this subject we say 200bhp is perfect bhp output. 200bhp in a 2000cc engine is quite mediocre. But I bet it gets a better mpg number than 125bhp from a 2000cc engine. That's 75 horse power, thats effectively another car, that's missing. And that is what I was originally saying.

All I can say to this block is WTF. It's just bollocks.

Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG