The online racing simulator
Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
Heh... How about a 944?
Mine gets 34mpg average.
It is far faster than 12.5 0-60
Best of all, it cost me total about $1800 after towing it home, replacing the bent valves and machine work to the head.
Quote from ajp71 :It's not going to be terribly fun or characterful. I wouldn't bother spending this much time worrying about fuel economy given the insurance and purchase prices you are looking at. Assuming fuel cost is £1.10/litre and you do 15000 miles a year a car that does 40mpg rather than 30 is only going to save you about £600 a year. You could easily go and buy something more interesting thats cheaper to buy/insure and put the money towards the fuel instead.

Just made a spreadsheet that works this out for me and i've just realised that at this end of the market a 45 MPG diesel will take a year or two to pay for the extra, which makes it a bit pointless. Petrol ones seem cheaper, too.

Any more petrol suggestions, saloon-y, over 32 mpg and RWD?

The 340 I was looking at when I first got my car but the whole thing seems a bit too dated.

BMW 318 seems ok, but they are all £2,500 ish which is more than I want to spend (decided £3k is excessive, looking ideally under £2k now). Not sure how easy it is to work on tho...

Also liked Shotglasses option of this - shame its so far away. Insurance is about £150 more, and fuel would be around £600 more... but worth it, surely! Only problem is i'm geussing anything that goes wrong is going to be mega expensive to fix, surely?

Anything else you can suggest?
Insurance on an import would be rediculous (afaik - all the mainstream companies quote me £5k unless theres a special broker you know of...).

EDIT - And now i've come back full bloody circle - 156, 2L. Insurance is similar, more power, more performance, slightly more fuel, more equipment, £1.5k. So many choices!
Quote from Jakg :Also liked Shotglasses option of this - shame its so far away. Insurance is about £150 more, and fuel would be around £600 more... but worth it, surely! Only problem is i'm geussing anything that goes wrong is going to be mega expensive to fix, surely?

Had one for 6 years, and it's a fun car. I don't think parts are much more expensive than for other cars, but with that age you have to expect stuff to break sooner or later, so repair costs could be high. Especially if you have to put in a new turbo. Also rust could be a major problem. And it's also rather thirsty on fuel, unless you drive around like an old granny. But that's not fun in such a car.

I now have a diesel car, and are very happy with that. Can drive for ages before refueling.
It might be one of those tricks to get more views. Like you put a up a silly price so the car appears on one of the first pages.
Quote from shashdev :This has to be a fake:
http://www.autoweb.co.uk/WSCarDetails.asp?cdID=7113302

Rx7 for 2000? Think he forgot the 1 infront of the 2000? I live in the US, but I would buy that in a second for up to 10000 dollars.

"ENGINE IS RUNNING BUT THINK IT COULD NEED WATER SEALS REPLACING"

Thats a by-word for "hi, my mate Dave tuned it up and now its ****ed. He fixed it up enough to start so I could put a low price on this and get it shifted before it blows up in my face"

EDIT - In Durham 268 miles from me.

Rx7 for 2000? Think he forgot the 1 infront of the 2000? I live in the US, but I would buy that in a second for up to 10000 dollars.

Their used car market over there is stupidly cheap. Not only that, but they have stupidly low miles on the cars. Look at Pearcy's post. I wouldn't expect any one of those cars to have less than 160,000 miles on them. They wouldn't have much life on them where I am as they would be a pile of rust in the next 2 years.
Quote from mrodgers :Their used car market over there is stupidly cheap. Not only that, but they have stupidly low miles on the cars. Look at Pearcy's post. I wouldn't expect any one of those cars to have less than 160,000 miles on them. They wouldn't have much life on them where I am as they would be a pile of rust in the next 2 years.

Our country is a lot smaller than yours.

But our mileage is generally done at lower speeds, so the engine's probably done a lot more revs than the mileage suggests, because there are 60 million of us living on a tiny island - imagine the traffic.
I'd like to know which car is cheapest on insurance in the UK at a young age.

That's about it's worth to be honest, once you factor in the cowboy modifications.

There's a 1998 with 80,000 miles on Autotrader for £3995. So consider it's 4 years older, has 40,000 more miles and has likely had some bodging done to it, and you get to this price.
Quote from BlueFlame :I'd like to know which car is cheapest on insurance in the UK at a young age.

Modern, safe Group 1 insurance cars - Toyota Aygo, VW Fox, Chevy Matiz etc.
Quote from Minimaxman :Modern, safe Group 1 insurance cars - Toyota Aygo, VW Fox, Chevy Matiz etc.

Looked on a Fox for a 19year old and it was still around £2000.
Its because your in liveepoooool
Those used car prices are stupidly cheaper than what we get over here, even with import taxes included. If only you drove on the other side of the roads!
Yeah, the car prices there are ridiculously low compared to what they are here. For example, a Nissan GTR R35 costs about £60,000 there I think. Over here it costs close to £200,000! Insane!
Quote from arco :Yeah, the car prices there are ridiculously low compared to what they are here. For example, a Nissan GTR R35 costs about £60,000 there I think. Over here it costs close to £200,000! Insane!

But Norwegians earn more money conpared to other nations, so what maybe expensive to us is probably just normal for you guys
True, the wages may be a bit higher here, but car prices are still way higher here compared to other countries when taking that into account. The reason is that we have a lot of taxes on cars. And I mean a lot! Especially on more powerful cars, as the taxes gets bigger and bigger the more powerful the car is.
Yeah, but how's that free laptop? We in the rest of the world can get cheaper cars by the hundreds of thousands, but you can get a laptop with all the taxes you pay. You definitely get a laptop.

I think I remember TVE saying something about laptop computers being supplied by the government via taxes.
Was he drunk when he said that? I've never heard of such a thing...
But we got free health care, so I guess it kinda makes up for the ridiculously high car prices. Even in Sweden, our neighbor country, car prices are half of what they are here, and they don't earn half of what we earn here.
Quote from arco :Was he drunk when he said that? I've never heard of such a thing...
But we got free health care, so I guess it kinda makes up for the ridiculously high car prices. Even in Sweden, our neighbor country, car prices are half of what they are here, and they don't earn half of what we earn here.

The schools give students free laptops. You don't get that in England for instance.

Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG