The online racing simulator
Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :
Diesel tuners do it ALL themselves? They've installed dynos in their garden sheds, bought the software and hardware for remapping ECUs (and/or chipping), and built a bigger turbo themselves (as opposed to buying one that's bigger, but not at all matched with the flow characteristics of the exhaust, thus worsening performance)? Ha ha ha ha, yeah right.

You're just taking the piss now. You don't like diesels, and it's for no good reason. Diesel is for MEN. That's why. Diesel pulls trucks, pulls huge ships over the oceans and power cranes and huge electric generators, what does petrol do? Gift Americans the opportunity to dry up the worlds oil reserves with crappy 3l V8's that produce 90bhp and power Stihl saws and petrol strimmers.
...errr, petrol lights on fire easier.

The professional pyromaniacs choice
Diesel is for dirty men (in quarries), Seamen (ha ha), and builders that can't lay bricks (crane operators). Petrol is for people that want to get to work. Or fly to other countries. Or go motor racing. Or enjoy driving.

I don't hate diesels at all. I appreciate that in the right applications - earth movers, the stuff you mentioned, 4WD cars - diesel is the better bet. Low revs, lots of torque. Not that bothered by how quickly you do the task, just bothered about doing it at all.

Things that you want done quickly - fun driving (incl. motorsport), flying planes, cutting down trees in your garden - are best powered by petrol.

The above assuming that petrol and diesel IC engines are the only two forms of power, which of course they aren't. Electric motors are fantastic these days (except in cars, when so much is lost even if, on paper, the electric option should be as good or better)...

Apologies to people who work in quarries, in the shipping/naval trade, or who operate cranes for a living.
Quote from tristancliffe :Diesel is for dirty men

Being Dirty means you have worked hard. Being always clean means you haven't worked at all. It's a middle eastern expression. Diesel has it's right to be in a car just as much as petroleum. Diesel is finding it's way into mainstream motorsport now too, and not just the Paris-Dakar. There was a TDi Golf racing in the VW Motorsport cup and I believe it did very good indeed. Diesels can be quick, maybe not fast, but around UK circuits at least, out and out speed isn't really a nessacity, unless you are racing on the IOM

Not to mention the TDi SEATS, and the TDi Audi R10 at Le Mans, and (my enemy) Peugeot. Also many people are racing Diesel BMW's. I would say that Volkswagen definately have started the ball fully rolling for Diesel but that's just my opinion and that's obviously why I like Diesel powered vehicles and race spec Diesel engines.
Quote from BlueFlame :Being Dirty means you have worked hard.

What is the resident tramp in my local high street doing when I don't see him?

Quote from BlueFlame :Being always clean means you haven't worked at all.

I hope that should I ever have to have an operation, the surgeon dosen't have that attitude.

Quote from BlueFlame :Diesel is for MEN.

What?

Quote from BlueFlame :dry up the worlds oil reserves with crappy 3l V8's that produce 90bhp and power Stihl saws and petrol strimmers.

This seterotype, while probrably quite relevant in the 70s, is getting a quite out of date now. Diesels will still dry up the worlds oil reserves however.

Diesel, its not pretty, it spews pure cancer out of the exhaust pipe, but it gets the job done.
Quote from 5haz :What is the resident tramp in my local high street doing when I don't see him?

I hope that should I ever have to have an operation, the surgeon dosen't have that attitude.

Diesel, its not pretty, it spews pure cancer out of the exhaust pipe, but it gets the job done.

It's a saying, theres people who work hard every day, maybe work 2 jobs and don't even find time to clean themselves. Somebody works 1 hour and has a shower everyday. Or someone born into a rich family.
Quote from BlueFlame :Being Dirty means you have worked hard. Being always clean means you haven't worked at all. It's a middle eastern expression. Diesel has it's right to be in a car just as much as petroleum. Diesel is finding it's way into mainstream motorsport now too, and not just the Paris-Dakar. There was a TDi Golf racing in the VW Motorsport cup and I believe it did very good indeed. Diesels can be quick, maybe not fast, but around UK circuits at least, out and out speed isn't really a nessacity, unless you are racing on the IOM

Not to mention the TDi SEATS, and the TDi Audi R10 at Le Mans, and (my enemy) Peugeot. Also many people are racing Diesel BMW's. I would say that Volkswagen definately have started the ball fully rolling for Diesel but that's just my opinion and that's obviously why I like Diesel powered vehicles and race spec Diesel engines.

How many of those diesel racing cars would have been successful with the same rules as the petrol cars? Why have diesel engines only won motor races where they are favoured (quite massively) for political and media related reasons (but not environmental reasons)?

I can see that the Paris-Dakar run, even with equal rules, would possibly favour diesels.

Only rich people are clean? When did we return to the Middle Ages?
Quote from tristancliffe :How many of those diesel racing cars would have been successful with the same rules as the petrol cars? Why have diesel engines only won motor races where they are favoured (quite massively) for political and media related reasons (but not environmental reasons)?

I can see that the Paris-Dakar run, even with equal rules, would possibly favour diesels.

How can the rules be set the same, you say it yourself, Diesel and Petrol are NOT the same engine, so they MUST be treated differently to make it fair. I bet you think Diesels should enter a race without a turbo because of equal rules. Well it's not equal rules, the turbo's aren't even that big anyway, it's not like they boost the output by THAT much is it?
Yes. When was the last time you drove a diesel without a turbo? But even with different regulations they don't need to give such a huge advantage to diesels. And it clearly is a huge advantage in LeMans, WTCC, BTCC (although they were actually a bit closer to parity; but only a bit)...

"Even though the rules are different, to support markedly different engines, the rules can still be equal rules" - can't remember the source, and it's a paraphrase anyway.
Quote from BlueFlame :How can the rules be set the same, you say it yourself, Diesel and Petrol are NOT the same engine, so they MUST be treated differently to make it fair. I bet you think Diesels should enter a race without a turbo because of equal rules. Well it's not equal rules, the turbo's aren't even that big anyway, it's not like they boost the output by THAT much is it?

If the diesel engine needs a turbo to perform well, it's inferior to a petrol engine.

I recently drove a car with a naturally aspirated diesel engine. It was a Toyota Hi-ace, 2.5l i4 with 80bhp. What a powerhouse.

Face it, diesel engines are only good for fuel economy.
Quote from tristancliffe :Things that you want done quickly - fun driving (incl. motorsport), flying planes, cutting down trees in your garden - are best powered by petrol.

actually diesel engines are rather well suited and get used in small planes
modernish ppl type planes have constant speed props anyway so the engine is rather irrelevant

also kerosine is more or less identical to diesel and i wouldnt exactly call an f16 slow or boring
Quote from Shotglass :also kerosine is more or less identical to diesel and i wouldnt exactly call an f16 slow or boring

No they're old and grody-looking. Unless I'm thinking of a different heckylopter.
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes. When was the last time you drove a diesel without a turbo? But even with different regulations they don't need to give such a huge advantage to diesels. And it clearly is a huge advantage in LeMans, WTCC, BTCC (although they were actually a bit closer to parity; but only a bit)...

"Even though the rules are different, to support markedly different engines, the rules can still be equal rules" - can't remember the source, and it's a paraphrase anyway.

My Felicia was a 1.9 nonturbo diesel. With 60horses. With a standard KKK turbolader for VAG TDi's, the same engine only gets 90bhp but fuel consumption is tripled.

It's like asking a Greyhound to race your pet Alsatian. They are both the same, but you can't treat them in the same category (on racing terms). Like an athlete, you feed them differently to a regular joe.
Quote from thisnameistaken :No they're old and grody-looking. Unless I'm thinking of a different heckylopter.

F16 is a fighter, you might be thinking of a Hind, man those things are so ugly they are hot.
Quote from BlueFlame :My Felicia was a 1.9 nonturbo diesel. With 60horses. With a standard KKK turbolader for VAG TDi's, the same engine only gets 90bhp but fuel consumption is tripled.

What?, can you please explain that statement?
Quote from danowat :What?, can you please explain that statement?

I meant, fuel consumption is divided by 3 :doh:
Either you are deliberately trolling, or you are just completely oblivious about how engines actually work.......or both.

Either way, the mind boggles.
Quote from danowat :Either you are deliberately trolling, or you are just completely oblivious about how engines actually work.......or both.

Either way, the mind boggles.

What are you going on about? In my last post I haven't said anything about how an engine works, I stated fact. A standard 1.9 VAG TDi gets 3times more miles per gallon than a VAG Diesel with no turbo.
Quote from BlueFlame :What are you going on about? In my last post I haven't said anything about how an engine works, I stated fact. A standard 1.9 VAG TDi gets 3times more miles per gallon than a VAG Diesel with no turbo.

Oh dear.
Quote from BlueFlame :I meant, fuel consumption is divided by 3 :doh:

ORLY?

Skoda Felicia 1.9 Hatchback, 63 BHP, 44 MPG.

I would love to see your 132 MPG VAG engine

The smallest VAG car I could find with a 1.9 TDI was an A3, which isn't really a competitor - the Polo has the same 1.9 SDI giving 64 BHP and 50 MPG.

The A3 1.9 TDI ranges from 90 to 130 BHP, giving you betwen 53-55 MPG depending on model. Not quite 3 times...

Either that or you drove the Felicia and got 18 MPG (1/3rd of 54...) which would explain a lot.
Quote from Jakg :ORLY?

Skoda Felicia 1.9 Hatchback, 63 BHP, 44 MPG.

I would love to see your 132 MPG VAG engine

The smallest VAG car I could find with a 1.9 TDI was an A3, which isn't really a competitor - the Polo has the same 1.9 SDI giving 64 BHP and 50 MPG.

The A3 1.9 TDI ranges from 90 to 130 BHP, giving you betwen 53-55 MPG depending on model. Not quite 3 times...

Jak, the bloke is an idiot, he knows NOTHING about cars.

He's deliberately trolling.
My maths failed, but I'm man enough to make the mistake and not google everything to prove I am right but when do you hear of the statistics of cars being spot on, especially with MPG, my Felicia did like 20 to the gallon, and I'm a tentative driver. Everything I know is from learning myself, not from reading books or having an education. Some of us weren't that lucky.
Some of us didn't need luck to read a book or two. Just a library.
Well I could pretend I know everything and use wiki and google but I don't, if I am a retard well then I am an honest retard. Over the internet you can never prove you know anything because you could easily have just googled it.

I think it's sad though, I basically get outcasted because I have assumed something and I am wrong, on this forum, I never come away from it, having learned something. (unless I debate with a German because they seem to speak sense, shotglass as one example)
Never owned a diesel myself, not planning to change that any time soon either. To my eyes, they are "work" engines. Good in trucks, vans, lorries and rest of that bunch, but very un-exciting in passenger vehicles. Several of the cars I've driven in my jobs have been diesels, haven't been fond of single one of them.

It's pretty pointless to drive a diesel in my country if you don't drive much aswell, as every diesel engined passenger car gets a heavy yearly diesel tax slapped on top of it. Sure the diesel pump prices are a bit cheaper (something like 30 cents/ltr cheaper), but if you drive very little in a year, petrol cars are actually a LOT cheaper to run!

Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG