The online racing simulator
LFS progress timeline
(104 posts, started )
God damnit it's all Scawen's wife and kids fault! Draining his will to live and work on LFS, FUEK!! Damn beasts!
I think that the patch would have been out by now, but Scawen hasn't been able to get to work due to the snow.

Quote from Dac :For all the "true" fans who are trying to take the moral high-ground in this, how long exactly would you be willing to wait for a significant update, 3 more months? a year? 5 years? I seriously doubt you would be willing to wait 10 years.

There is no moral high ground. There is waiting patiently like alot of us knew we would have to, finding other things to do and keeping an eye of lfs for the updates of what is going on or new patches and then there is whining. Even if we have to wait 10 years, making a thread like this is not going to get it release any sooner.

Quote from Bean0 :I think that the patch would have been out by now, but Scawen hasn't been able to get to work due to the snow.

Ah, good thinking that man. I never thought of that
The point of this thread wasn't to complain about LFS progress. After all, we knew this kind of stuff was bound to happen considering the history of the game. The point was to create an actual timeline of events b/c I'd never seen one for LFS before. And to have fun watching you all duke it out. My opinion is that LFS is a good game that could be a great game if more work was done towards releasing new patches. Ok, you can continue the war now.
Quote from jrs_4500 :The point of this thread wasn't to complain about LFS progress. After all, we knew this kind of stuff was bound to happen considering the history of the game. The point was to create an actual timeline of events b/c I'd never seen one for LFS before. And to have fun watching you all duke it out. My opinion is that LFS is a good game that could be a great game if more work was done towards releasing new patches. Ok, you can continue the war now.

Attached images
16865_389387385034_884980034_10427043_2295403_n.jpg
LMAO thats class!!!!!! best picture ever!
Quote from tristancliffe :(and racing sims if there were any good ones to play that didn't cost as much as a season of real racing ...

:rolleyes:
Quit being a goof. But at least you finally admitted it's good!

Quote from jrs_4500 :The point of this thread ... to have fun watching you all duke it out.

So you're a self proclaimed troll; duly noted - thanks. Like it wasn't obvious.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo ::rolleyes:
Quit being a goof. But at least you finally admitted it's good!

So you're a self proclaimed troll; duly noted - thanks. Like it wasn't obvious.

Hmmm, it would appear I did say that... It's not quite what I feel. If it wasn't for the high fidelity tracks then I don't think it would have half as many players, and more people would moan about the physics.

Besides, when I play it I tend to use Silverstone (or Brands Hatch if I paid again), and that's as smooth as LFS tracks anyway, so I don't get that jiggly feeling

I'm also happy to change my mind. I did with nKP. I could even with LFS when the new physics come out (they might, might be worse!), and I could when I next donate some money to the iRacing staff... But for now, it isn't for me.
Quote from tristancliffe :Hmmm, it would appear I did say that... It's not quite what I feel. If it wasn't for the high fidelity tracks then I don't think it would have half as many players, and more people would moan about the physics.

Not sure about that. I can't speak for the high downforce vehicles because I just don't race them much, I enjoy the slower cars a lot more. Maybe it just gives my brain a fighting chance to be fast on a circuit or something. But there's zero question in my mind that the tintops and weakling cars perform notably better (by better I mean more realistically) than in LFS. You're also on the wrong side of the pond to take full advantage of iRacing, just like I was with LFS when it was my mainstay sim-fix.

For me personally, between the graphics (both sims are over exposed and funny looking, iRacing just far far more detailed), sound, and physics I've moved mostly on to where I'm happy at the moment... Anyone compelled to rant about the development speed here (or lack thereof; which isn't factually incorrect but is unable to be affected by it's repeated forum "exposure") should just find something else fun to do for a while!

Or maybe get nVidia 3D Vision; you'll forget it drives strangely for a while because it'll at least be in 3D!
this is just like waiting for black mesa source (half-life remake) they take a long time but the extra time that they take creates a better game. (hopefully. otherwise it's time to panic about this simulator going into history)
I know what LFS is not.

It is not Racing Legends. And I thank Moses for that every time I fire LFS up.

btw, I have some swell RL swag for sale if your interested.
heh, no it's not. Racing Legends is probably of higher caliber in it's current state, considering the state it was in 4 years ago... And sources tell me it's been trickled on since then
#64 - senn
i just googled that....last news in 2003...oh dear :/
No kidding. But did you see the 3D renderings of the working engines? That is sweet. last I heard (3 years ago) you had to keep an eye on wires around the engine to make sure they didn't melt or wear out and so forth. Some crazy ideas at West, they were (are?) making it so that you could simply be a race engineer on a team and work on the car whilst your driver made the most of it etc
#66 - senn
nuts. I doubt it'd still be inproduction, the forum link is dead, as are most of the links on that site. Someone probably forgot it was there. Last post from a dev was in 2004.
http://www.west-racing.com/forum/index.php?topic=2395.0

Probably normal life took over, had a couple rug rats, got old and fat, end of dream.
Quote from Dac :For all the "true" fans who are trying to take the moral high-ground in this, how long exactly would you be willing to wait for a significant update, 3 more months? a year? 5 years? I seriously doubt you would be willing to wait 10 years.

There is no "moral high-ground" to try to take really... Its more like pointing out things that are so obvious that they probably slipped past the whiners and their limited capabilities to see the big picture...

Like i posted before... For all we know there is 6 major things going on that are announced at this moment, and that is without counting for bug fixes, language support and minor stuff like that.

S3 is being developed as we speak and probably have been for some time since scawen actually used the word s3 in a post.

Your right about 1 thing, i wouldnt be waiting for 10 years. But then again i wouldnt need to either... updates are coming this year and i estimate s3 within the next 2 years...

Why am i so certain we will not be abandoned? because its too much money invested and earned through LFS, and besides that its their baby project... i doubt they will just pull the plug and call it a day.
Nice. Calling people who don't share your view whiny and mentally retarded. Always makes you look like a tough guy and wins any Internet dispute immediately.
Quote from Kalev EST :Nice. Calling people who don't share your view whiny and mentally retarded. Always makes you look like a tough guy and wins any Internet dispute immediately.

Aaah but you seem to forget 1 important thing about the internet.

"arguing in the internet is like winning special olympics, even if you win your still retarded" doenst make me better really

If you constantly complain, that makes you what? calm? quiet? no it makes you whiny! or in other words a crybaby that doesnt get what he wants when he wants it.

And yes you probably are retarded if you think that what you get in term of patches is the only thing being worked on. And if there is no patch its no development?

seems like you are taking this personally for some reason
This thread will get closed in few days anyway...
Quote from AcesHigh :Aaah but you seem to forget 1 important thing about the internet.

"arguing in the internet is like winning special olympics, even if you win your still retarded" doenst make me better really

If you constantly complain, that makes you what? calm? quiet? no it makes you whiny! or in other words a crybaby that doesnt get what he wants when he wants it.

And yes you probably are retarded if you think that what you get in term of patches is the only thing being worked on. And if there is no patch its no development?

seems like you are taking this personally for some reason

If you complain about people complaining then by your logic, you're whiny too? And I have never thought or said the devs aren't working on anything but when there's nothing to show for that work...
I'm pretty sure there will be something to show for that work. Just not at the time the impatient people want it to be.
Got a feeling the next patch will be worth the wait,I wouldn't be that surprised if it was the patch to end all patches and I wouldn't blame them either.
Do a shopping with toddlers sim next ..fantastic reference material here.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :No kidding. But did you see the 3D renderings of the working engines? That is sweet. last I heard (3 years ago) you had to keep an eye on wires around the engine to make sure they didn't melt or wear out and so forth. Some crazy ideas at West, they were (are?) making it so that you could simply be a race engineer on a team and work on the car whilst your driver made the most of it etc

From my poking around I heard the ideas you talk about above; I haven't seen any evidence that this stuff was; physically based or simulated, nor that it actually happened. I will say I found where they stated they wanted that level of detail in the simulation; but I haven't seen any form of physical update including a moving car; let alone one based on the high details they aimed for. or are aiming at.

My point is "ooh, nice renders". But where is the rest of everything that matters?

----------

Also I am very late on this response but way way back up above there was some iRacing talk going on where feelings were felt that iRacings slower cars were better than LFS physics. . . My opinion, (with only a month of experience in iRacing - single player at that; so take as you wish), LFS has far better physics as far as 'feeling' goes, but iRacing has MUCH higher density tracks that are far beyond LFS. Tire sounds were better in iRacing though I would give LFS the better tire feeling/physics overall as well as LFS is more polished for stalling, clutch-temp (simulated accurately with real values? IDK) and more features overall; where as iRacing can't even stall the car.

My point is I think LFS car feeling and features added to an iRacing track environment with iRacing's tire sound feedback would be superb - I am waiting for the laser scanned track in LFS to see the differences.
Quote from jrs_4500 :LFS progress is getting slower. I'm not going to quit playing LFS any time soon,

Reminds me of an expression from Texas. "Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya". (Translate; don't let the door hit you you in the ass on your way out) (short translation; good gtfo)

So a car got delayed. Waaaaaa. But if you read the dev update, there's good reason for it and the end result is going to be an even better LFS. If you can't wait, too bad.

I get this mental image of Scawen standing in a room, he says "VW" and 1,000 Chihuahua's come out and start humping his leg begging for a VW.

LFS progress timeline
(104 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG