The online racing simulator
Quote from blackbird04217 :Own the game, but have never been able to successfully play it more than 5minutes which is a shame because I think it would great fun.

Just play it without mods, I can mostly play until I feel like quitting, it almost never crashes.
I've never tried playing with mods, and it doesn't even run on my new computer. I've given up, but I won't throw it out either.
Try a fresher install =P.
I now use a I4-mod pack, it makes me lose my normal I4 textures, but I have much more options of building an engine => more fun.

It's also nice to just buy an expensive wreck (22K), which can handle a V10, but start with an I4 in it. (+ cheapest suspension, wheels, parts etc.)
It's a lovely game.
I can't find a copy of it anywhere, even if I did I doubt it would run on my PC.
#30 - senn
Quote from tristancliffe :Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks, combined with Ricardo Wave. Sure one of the few adult examples? Put aside a good month for each component (well, the complex ones, like cam profiles and piston shapes, and combustion chamber shape, and port geometry...).

Should be ready to 'run' in a year or two.

If you want a game, then you might as well stick to "Turbo Stage 4 Kit", because that's as realistic as it'll get.

I think i'd need an engineering degree to be able to use those! Might be a fun way to learn about the finer points of what makes a good engine though.
-
(BlakjeKaas) DELETED by Bob Smith : that site hosts lfs vob mods
the problem with Street Legal Racing: Redline is, that the community is split and some people play/make mods for version 2.2.1 which is outdated, while others play "2.3.0 LE"

I have SLR:R 2.3.0LE and it is modded to hell, my garage is so full of cars that it takes me more time to find one of my cars than it does to accidentally destroy it speeding.

2.3.0LE never crashed once on me. Live Edition is the newest patch with 2.3.1 being worked on. ( haven't checked for an update in months though)
Quote from Forbin :Something a bit more... scientific.

Engine Analyzer Pro

I think this was the licensed back end of the engine calculator in MCO.

MCO was awesome, that they closed it makes me reluctant to buy any game not usable offline.
I have SLRR 2.3.0 LE and it is great fun! I picked up a battered old cheap Eclipse at the Used Car Showroom and have turned it into an AWD 1674bhp monster! I hate it when I lock up and smash into a wall and I lose the whole front of the car along with the engine, and have to re-build it and buy a new engine kit. It crashes after about 4 hours of play for me.
Attached images
SLRRISFUN.jpg
I just use the normal cars, I love it when you find a battered up Race-version of a car.
Because you have multiple engine options: I4, V6 and V10.
So you start of with a normal I4, and when you feel like spending money when your car is complete, you swap it for a V10!
After that, Find yourself an American car, or a pick-up. Fix it, sell your old car, and put a BIG V12 in it.

I had the luck to find a pink slip race when I needed cash for a V10, problem solved =D
That ain't a motor. This is a motor.

Quote from shaun463 :I have SLRR 2.3.0 LE and it is great fun! I picked up a battered old cheap Eclipse at the Used Car Showroom and have turned it into an AWD 1674bhp monster! I hate it when I lock up and smash into a wall and I lose the whole front of the car along with the engine, and have to re-build it and buy a new engine kit. It crashes after about 4 hours of play for me.

Loosing the engine in an accident sucks more when it took you ages to custom build and tune from scratch.

if you are locking up you shouldn't have bought such big brakes. :P
I remember playing the first one without realising how detailed the damage was. I took a slope too fast and then my car stalled, I towed it back and repaired the damage but it still wouldn't start. I was stumped, so I rebuilt the whole car, turns out the oil pan had fallen off. :doh:
Quote from Shadowww :Steam doesn't supports modding games, (if you modify some file Steam automatically redownloads it), so putting SLRR on Steam would be quite useless.

Steam is made by the Valve guys! Just think of Counterstrike or Day of Defeat that were both mods for there Half Life and now you can buy them officially at Steam. These guys have absolutly nothing against moding.

So of course you can mod steam games I would even go that far and say VALVE stands for MODS!

HL2 Mod every HL2 fan should try. :--> http://www.cinematicmod.com/cm_10.php
Quote from funRacer[83] :Steam is made by the Valve guys! Just think of Counterstrike or Day of Defeat that were both mods for there Half Life and now you can buy them officially at Steam. These guys have absolutly nothing against moding.

So of course you can mod steam games I would even go that far and say VALVE stands for MODS!

HL2 Mod every HL2 fan should try. :--> http://www.cinematicmod.com/cm_10.php

1st: C-S and DoD on Steam are not mods. Those are games. They have own GCF's.
2nd: I am not talking about HL2 mods, for which Valve does provides official SDK.
#41 - senn
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :If anyone could give me some information related to finding a version of SLR that actually works I would be very grateful for the PM. I remember playing the first one without realising how detailed the damage was. I took a slope too fast and then my car stalled, I towed it back and repaired the damage but it still wouldn't start. I was stumped, so I rebuilt the whole car, turns out the oil pan had fallen off. :doh:

HAHAHAHA obviously it doesn't have the "pour fluid in the top, comes out the bottom" visualization :P
Quote from senn :HAHAHAHA obviously it doesn't have the "pour fluid in the top, comes out the bottom" visualization :P

Nope, it's quite awkward to remove parts sometimes, I'm sure that's accidental but it does simulate real life quite well. The only problem is my game keeps crashing.
Quote from Shadowww :1st: C-S and DoD on Steam are not mods. Those are games. They have own GCF's.
2nd: I am not talking about HL2 mods, for which Valve does provides official SDK.

You got it totally wrong I was trying to explain to you that Valve (the guys who developed and own Steam) are positive about modding so they won´t forbid modification for Games released on there platform. Counterstrike and Dod were just examples for you to better understand. They both were mods when they were released and done by some modders and now they are both a part of Valve.

So if some developers don´t want that there games are modable that has nothing to do with Steam and valve.

You said this: "Steam doesn't supports modding games, (if you modify some file Steam automatically redownloads it), so putting SLRR on Steam would be quite useless."

So I was just explaining to you that what you have written is totally wrong.
Quote from funRacer[83] :You got it totally wrong I was trying to explain to you that Valve (the guys who developed and own Steam) are positive about modding so they won´t forbid modification for Games released on there platform. Counterstrike and Dod were just examples for you to better understand. They both were mods when they were released and done by some modders and now they are both a part of Valve.

So if some developers don´t want that there games are modable that has nothing to do with Steam and valve.

You said this: "Steam doesn't supports modding games, (if you modify some file Steam automatically redownloads it), so putting SLRR on Steam would be quite useless."

So I was just explaining to you that what you have written is totally wrong.

You didn't explained that's totally wrong at all.

Try getting non-GCF game (like GTA IV, for example) and modifying it's files (in SteamApps\common\game name). You will see they will be replaced with original ones when you start the game.
Quote from Shadowww :You didn't explained that's totally wrong at all.

Try getting non-GCF game (like GTA IV, for example) and modifying it's files (in SteamApps\common\game name). You will see they will be replaced with original ones when you start the game.

Are they also replaced if you mark them as read only?
Is there a demo for slrr?
Quote from amp88 :Are they also replaced if you mark them as read only?

Yes. But if you make them read-only by removing write access, Steam just refuses to launch the game.
Quote from Shadowww :Yes. But if you make them read-only by removing write access, Steam just refuses to launch the game.

Hmmm, interesting. Another reason not to like Steam. Thanks for the info.
Quote from amp88 :Hmmm, interesting. Another reason not to like Steam. Thanks for the info.

It's reason to like Steam. It prevents most common wallhacks and other shits. You should NOT modify game anyways (executables and DLL's).
Quote from Shadowww :It's reason to like Steam. It prevents most common wallhacks and other shits. You should NOT modify game anyways (executables and DLL's).

That should be up to the game designers though. The game itself should do checking for legal files rather than the framework that launches the game.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG