The online racing simulator
there will be no LFS in 10 years, there will be no LFS even in 5 years. Correct me after 5 years, if I'll be wrong
Quote from iFastLT :Ok, then devs will upload more video previews of scirocco

More realistic.
Quote from DevilDare :Not really, no.

Not for Scawen anyway, he has a family with 2 kids so....

That's 3571,43 pounds per month. I don't have a family myself so I don't have "first-hand experience" but that sounds like (more than) enough, IMO.
Well I thought we are talking about living off for the rest of his life on 300k.

And I dont think he makes 3k every month.
Quote from DevilDare :Well I thought we are talking about living off for the rest of his life on 300k.

I don't think that license sales will stop suddenly.

Quote from DevilDare :And I dont think he makes 3k every month.

No idea and I don't really care anyway.
Quote from Torben :You bought an S1/S2 licence for not even an beta Version of a game

Although the dev's call these "alpha" releases, these are "beta" releases, according to the the terminology used by the rest of the computing world:

alpha build of the software is the build to the internal software testers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S ... _release_life_cycle#Alpha

Beta is a nickname for software ... released to users for software testing before its official release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S ... e_release_life_cycle#Beta
Scawen has lost his programming skills?
Else i don't know why people speculate about his income
Quote from Torben :It is not an excuse, but a fact...

Then, like you say FFS, get the f*** out of here and have a look at different games.. or, get a life

It is an excuse.

And if you could read you might see that i am not complaining about LFS, just the mindless fanboys that spout the same tired rubbish .

And the old "get a life bullshit" is a very ordinary way of defending you argument.
Quote from richo :It is an excuse.

And if you could read you might see that i am not complaining about LFS, just the mindless fanboys that spout the same tired rubbish .

And the old "get a life bullshit" is a very ordinary way of defending you argument.

Define 'fanboy'. Please.

It's getting awfully silly to call someone who doesn't like moaning about development speed or new content and so on a fanboy. I'm getting bored myself reading the same replies all over again. Specifically this type: "Shut up, fanboy! Not that I play or care about LFS but you fanboys need to stop protecting the devs, as I'm getting annoyed of this slow speed". Yeah it all comes down to this in most of the replies containing the fanboy insult.

To remind you my 1st wish: Can you please define 'fanboy'?

Edit: Also a few replies back some guy that was totally out of arguments just swore at me and then started explaining how LFS could get better, suggesting ideas and after that he suddenly says that he isn't playing LFS anymore. An exact example of my point.
I'll still be lapping Blackwood, wheel in one hand, glass of Sprite in the other, with mother popping on every so often to tell me to go and get a job. Sod the rest of you, all you ever do is crash into me anyway.

The term 'fanboy' is not an adequate substitute for a good argument, it is a cheap shot and if you use it you are a tosser without exception and should seriously considering leaving the PC to go sodomise yourself with a rubber baton
-
(broken) DELETED by broken
I debated whether or not to join this topic, but succumbed in the end.

What will LFS be in 10 years?

Not very far from what it is now.

For me (and I can speak only for me), LFS is the only racing sim I play because I won't rent it like iRacing demands.

The only problem is... I don't play it anymore. Oh, I've tried. I stopped playing regularly in (I think) Nov 2008, and in November or December this year I set my wheel up again, thinking a year's abstinence would've re-ignited my fire.

But it didn't.

I didn't recognise any of the servers, other than the always-reliable (and superbly clean) Dead Men Racing, but that isn't always populated. I didn't recognise any of the racers, the regular names I used to see when I was racing actively weren't to be seen. Worst of all, it felt as though everyone around me was a complete liability based on some of the racecraft I saw. Instead of relishing a battle when side-by-side with someone, I would find myself dreading getting too close to someone. I didn't know them, I didn't trust them, regardless of how fast they were or what team colours they were dressed in.

The other big downer was that I'd lost my collection of setups since 2008, and one thing it taught me is that you can drive on the absolute tyre-cooking limit, but someone with a locked diff will cruise right past you.

I hunted around for some interesting combos where my lack of setup library would be less of a hindrance, and in the process reminded me of LFS' other significant flaw. The only thing you're guaranteed to be able to choose from is either cruise, drift, or GTR@AS3. Pass me the tylenol.

I tried a few different servers, but my, insim controlling apps have profligated an awful lot whilst I've been away. On some more popular servers I even had messages flashing up telling me my stats weren't going to be aggregated on that server because I was too slow compared to the server record. Yeah, sorry, I probably forgot to weld my diff up. I know the reason I was slow, but what about the new player who genuinely is slow, even if he gets given a fast setup? How is that going to encourage them?

In the end, I ended up on the [TC] Montana cruise server a few times, just for the fun of throwing an LX car around. Then I got bored of driving with people half my age who can't even drive a real car, and haven't played LFS since.

Some "comeback". Why didn't I feel the magic again?

Part of the problem is that it's nearly 2010, and apart from some subtle physics revisions, LFS still largely feels, looks and sounds the same as the title released in 2005.
Another is that as the community has grown, it seems to have got younger, by a far greater margin than what I've got older by. I think this is evident both on the forum and on the track.

There are people who say, "if you're bored with it go play something else", I believe this includes the devs. Well, I've tried that. I've not just played something else, I've spent countless hours tied up with work, with friends, with family, doing photography, following other interests, and still felt decidedly non-plussed after coming back to LFS. Besides, I've been around since S1 days. What will it do to the LFS community if everyone that has supported and experienced LFS for several years just buggers off until something significant happens? Truth be told, I think the extent to which that has already happened has damaged public pick-up racing a fair bit in LFS.

I'd like to blame it on the devs for not communicating their plans and current positions, but Scawen recently gave a (very informative, genuinely welcome) status update and yet now at Christmas we have a flurry of bitching threads, bemoaning the lack of progress and VWS. I'd like to blame it on the lack of content, but we have plenty that the public pick-up racing community never touches - i.e. anything outside it's comfort zone. I'd like to blame it on the community, but many of the older, more experienced, mature guys that were here from the start are only doing what Scavier asked them to do - go away and stop complaining until they feel like coming back.

If there's one thing the devs can do (other than the obvious: get the updates, advances and new content coming sooner rather than later. And as a patient customer I really don't want to start hearing about house moves, renovations, families and suchlike. We were told to expect some great releases this year, but I haven't seen any yet) it's to re-engage with the community. At the moment they seem very... distant. In the past we've had LX month with the associated skinning competitions and officially run servers. We've had teaser pictures and promotional sites. It felt like there was a genuine passion and excitement about these new things. I don't sense that vibe any more. Now it feels like there's so much more could be done by which the devs could re-engage with the game at the community's level.
Quote from STROBE :The only problem is... I don't play it anymore. Oh, I've tried. I stopped playing regularly in (I think) Nov 2008, and in November or December this year I set my wheel up again, thinking a year's abstinence would've re-ignited my fire.

But it didn't.

I didn't recognise any of the servers, other than the always-reliable (and superbly clean) Dead Men Racing, but that isn't always populated. I didn't recognise any of the racers, the regular names I used to see when I was racing actively weren't to be seen. Worst of all, it felt as though everyone around me was a complete liability based on some of the racecraft I saw. Instead of relishing a battle when side-by-side with someone, I would find myself dreading getting too close to someone. I didn't know them, I didn't trust them, regardless of how fast they were or what team colours they were dressed in.

Interesting post, I have been through this experience myself more than once in LFS over the years. In deed it is the whole pick up racing thing with people you know that has always been the x factor in LFS for me. Not tied into a league but not racing with strangers.

My first experiences were jumping onto the SRT server (which later became Team400) with the numerous friendly characters around at that time. It is teams that run and admin public pick up servers that have provided the fantastic racing environments in LFS over the years. The reality is there is still servers out there that do provide those environments but they don't stay static, it takes a lot of dedication, time and effort to run such servers and as a consequence they wane and die over time but others come along and replace them.

This though makes it quite difficult for a returning old player to find a place to fit in as he has these reference points which were established after months (probably even years) of LFS time, and is hoping to fit right back in with minimal effort. The reality is though to get back some of that early magic you have to more than likely put in several months of effort to find and develop a group of guys you race with regularly again, and this can be frustrating for an experienced player.
Quote from STROBE :We were told to expect some great releases this year, but I haven't seen any yet

This is what I was wondering about in the other (in my opinion, much less offensive) thread which got mysterylocked quite rapidly soon after.

What happened to the good releases this year? Another plan/priority change is my strong guess.
Quote from Matrixi :This is what I was wondering about in the other (in my opinion, much less offensive) thread which got mysterylocked quite rapidly soon after.

What happened to the good releases this year? Another plan/priority change is my strong guess.

Yeah, Scawen talked about this in the last 1 or 2 update posts, where fixing one thing lead to another, and another, etc. It's pretty obvious that he *meant* to finish the tire physics this year but it turned into a much more complex thing than he had originally thought.

For those unsure of what I'm referring to, (re)read this thread/post. If people still are upset about this I'll personally get dekojester to come around and personally facepalm at them.
I think most of us were quite aware that Scirocco wouldn't make it out in 2009 after reading about the new tire physics in august, but people were also expecting some other significant patches this year while waiting for it.
Quote from STROBE :I debated whether or not to join this topic, but succumbed in the end.

Not very far from what it is now.

For me (and I can speak only for me), LFS is the only racing sim I play because I won't rent it like iRacing demands.

The only problem is... I don't play it anymore. Oh, I've tried. I stopped playing regularly in (I think) Nov 2008, and in November or December this year I set my wheel up again, thinking a year's abstinence would've re-ignited my fire.

But it didn't.

(...)

Very interesting read, 100% agree with you. I mean, what happened? I'm reading forum posts instead of driving...
Quote from hariel-HUN- :Very interesting read, 100% agree with you. I mean, what happened? I'm reading forum posts instead of driving...

Why are you asking us?

Just go drive if you find this so strange. What's stopping you?
Attached images
LFS_iRacing2.jpg
Quote from 5haz :I'll still be lapping Blackwood, wheel in one hand, glass of Sprite in the other, with mother popping on every so often to tell me to go and get a job. Sod the rest of you, all you ever do is crash into me anyway.

The term 'fanboy' is not an adequate substitute for a good argument, it is a cheap shot and if you use it you are a tosser without exception and should seriously considering leaving the PC to go sodomise yourself with a rubber baton

The term is 100% correct when people blindly jump into defend something that didn't require defending, as soon as someone says anything different to the status quo the old standbys reappear.

As for your witty rebuke, where in that statement is a "good a argument" ?

That is an attack and a very ordinary attempt to i might add, oh sorry thats right its an Alpha attack or i haven't read all possible combinations....
Quote from Seb66 :CRG fanboy

well...one of the best chassis out there...no doubt
Quote from richo :The term is 100% correct when people blindly jump into defend something that didn't require defending, as soon as someone says anything different to the status quo the old standbys reappear.

These people are called mindless twats, and I admit there are a few of them on this forum, however...

People often place the term fanboy on anyone who disagrees with them, regardless of the context, that is just as mindless.

Quote from richo :As for your witty rebuke, where in that statement is a "good a argument" ?

It is my opinion that the term has come to be ridiculously over used, its rather similar to how in politics everyone seem to think its fine to add 'ist' on to the end of a word and use that as a counter to another argument, people now use it as a cheap shot and it indicates a lack of imagination and immaturity in those who resort to using it.

The word has simply become a universal insult that people use when they don't have anything to counter what the other person is saying, regardless of the situation. In a way it has lost its meaning through overuse, anyone can say it and think it makes them look clever.

Quote from richo :That is an attack and a very ordinary attempt to i might add, oh sorry thats right its an Alpha attack or i haven't read all possible combinations....

Speak in English!
you know the saddest thing about this whole thing is. as soon as the the new patch with the physics comes out, almost all of you will forget it was over a year late with nothing in between but changes like

Reduced minimum speed in SHIFT+U mode to 0.1 m/s

(292 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG