The online racing simulator
Quote from UncleBenny :Seeing as Brad intentionally wrecks someone every week it seems, I don't feel all that bad about it. It's one thing to rough a guy up and move him up the track to make a pass, its another to dump them week in week out. You'd think with all the work Brad does with his bumper, he'd be better at it by now. Of course, Denny intentionally wrecking him won't actually fix anything, would still be a little satisfying to see though. I don't think he'll actually follow through on it.

Guess we'll just wait and see.
Ugh

NASCAR goes WWE
Quote from DieKolkrabe :NASCAR goes WWE

Right. How is this any different than any other sport? In hockey teams carry grudges all the time. Football rivalries? Guys getting pitches thrown at them in baseball?

Oh, because its Nascar, so we should compare it to the made up sport of wrestling.
well nascar has always been criticized as "forcing competition conditions". Lots of convenient caution periods to bunch the field up. Double file restarts to stimulate competition. Lucky Dog rule, etc.

Much like WWE. The only thing that NASCAR lacks to compare to WWE would be the (forced) drama and the rigged results. (But NASCAR's getting that said drama). Drivers being allowed to do what ever they do just to put on a show. HEY LETS WRECK EACH OTHER NEVER MIND THE RACING, JUST BASH EACH OTHER AROUND

Of course this isn't necessarily MY opinion. Just regugitating what I've read in other forums. I will admit tho that NASCAR does look like it's forcing competition in comparison to F1 or IndyCar. While those series just "let be what it will be". (Of course the irony of this comment is that FIA legislate the crap out of F1...but eh...pick your side folks :shrug
Quote from UncleBenny :Right. How is this any different than any other sport? In hockey teams carry grudges all the time. Football rivalries? Guys getting pitches thrown at them in baseball?

Oh, because its Nascar, so we should compare it to the made up sport of wrestling.

Yes, but do you see football players fighting every rivalry game? Hockey players jawing every shift? A pitcher throwing three pitches at a batter? The list goes on

Since to me that's on the same level as Denny and Brad's feud, I agree with Lizardfolk, people look back at past races/seasons and claim they were rigged
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Hockey players jawing every shift?

Actually I do see Hockey players fight every game. It's sorta why my roommate watches it

The idea that NASCAR forces competition (chase for the cup, overblown team/driver drama and convenient cautions mainly) has been an old one actually
I don't know, I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories out there saying Nascar is rigging races. I wouldn't put it past some of the higher ups at Nascar, but whether I like some of them or not, I do think the majority of drivers have some integrity and they would not stand for it if races were being rigged.

I don't like some of the forced competition things either. I don't like the chase. I don't like the lucky dog. I don't like the random "debris" cautions. I would argue the double file restarts one though. There are plenty of short tracks that have been using double file restarts forever, I don't think its just to increase competition, to me it just makes more sense to do it that way, and Nascar should have been doing that forever. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they used to do it a while ago, I don't know though. Starting with the lapped cars on the inside always seemed like the dumbest rule to me.

I see F1 as just as bad though. Seems like every time I get a chance to watch a race, all they talk about are two things: who is on what compound tires, and who is carrying what fuel load. I realize this is "strategy" but I prefer actual racing to passing each other in the pits.

I don't mind the drama in Nascar so much as long as it doesn't get too out of hand, and this Brad/Denny thing hasn't gotten to that point for me yet. I enjoy the fact that some drivers actually have personalities, even if they are acting like spoiled brats all the time. Better that, than robots driving cars around in a circle. The fact that I have an opinion on most of the drivers on the track gives me something to watch no matter what's going on, even if its not my favorite guy who is involved in the action. Jeff Burton just made a pass? He's a respectable guy, I can support that. Oh no Michael Waltrip in the wall again? Good, didn't like him anyway.
Quote from lizardfolk :Actually I do see Hockey players fight every game. It's sorta why my roommate watches it

Nobody cares about Toronto :P
Quote from UncleBenny :Oh no Michael Waltrip in the wall again?

Thank god it's a very common spectacle!
Quote from UncleBenny :I don't know, I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories out there saying Nascar is rigging races. I wouldn't put it past some of the higher ups at Nascar, but whether I like some of them or not, I do think the majority of drivers have some integrity and they would not stand for it if races were being rigged.

I don't like some of the forced competition things either. I don't like the chase. I don't like the lucky dog. I don't like the random "debris" cautions. I would argue the double file restarts one though. There are plenty of short tracks that have been using double file restarts forever, I don't think its just to increase competition, to me it just makes more sense to do it that way, and Nascar should have been doing that forever. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they used to do it a while ago, I don't know though. Starting with the lapped cars on the inside always seemed like the dumbest rule to me.

I see F1 as just as bad though. Seems like every time I get a chance to watch a race, all they talk about are two things: who is on what compound tires, and who is carrying what fuel load. I realize this is "strategy" but I prefer actual racing to passing each other in the pits.

I don't mind the drama in Nascar so much as long as it doesn't get too out of hand, and this Brad/Denny thing hasn't gotten to that point for me yet. I enjoy the fact that some drivers actually have personalities, even if they are acting like spoiled brats all the time. Better that, than robots driving cars around in a circle. The fact that I have an opinion on most of the drivers on the track gives me something to watch no matter what's going on, even if its not my favorite guy who is involved in the action. Jeff Burton just made a pass? He's a respectable guy, I can support that. Oh no Michael Waltrip in the wall again? Good, didn't like him anyway.

You reminded me of something, thanks

What NASCAR needs is personalities.

I'm not advocating them swearing on live TV or flipping the bird on camera, but being themselves. Who cares if they don't thank 1000001 sponsors after a race? I don't for one, I know it'll affect the paycheck, but I feel NASCAR is too commercial, too plastic.

IMO, Dale Sr (and Richard Petty in the second bit) was one of the hardest and roughest racers, but he interacted with fans, he took time to talk to them, to sign autographs, see how their day was going, talk over issues, yet you could laugh and joke with them, according to drivers who were around in the 80s/90s. He had a personality, so did most of the drivers in that era,

People have compared Kyle with Dale, to me there's no comparison. Kyle's just a corporate suit who drives cars and whines, when was the last time you saw him stop to talk to a fan?
True, Nascar is just too corportate now for the most part, and I can't see it every going back to the way it was unfortunately. I'm sure there are still drivers that will talk to fans, I'm just not sure how easy it is to get access to them now, compared to back when Sr. and Petty were driving.

Funny story I saw on the iRacing forums about someone meeting Justin Wilson of the IRL:

"At the Indy car race at Homestead a few weeks ago, I was standing in the pits for their second practice run. I was at the Z-Line car, and Justin Wilson walked up. He was talking to his crew chief and others, then started getting into his fire suit a few feet from me.

"Hi, my name is Jack Backus", I said to him. "Hi" he politely replied. I then said "Thanks for wrecking me at Indy". He looked at me puzzled, and said "Wrecked you?" "In the Lotus 79 at Indy during the practice on iRacing" I replied.

He started laughing loudly, took a few steps towards me and held his hand out. "Sorry if I wrecked you". As I was shaking his hand I told him all was fine. His crew had that look of 'who the heck is that guy?'."
Quote from UncleBenny :True, Nascar is just too corportate now for the most part, and I can't see it every going back to the way it was unfortunately. I'm sure there are still drivers that will talk to fans, I'm just not sure how easy it is to get access to them now, compared to back when Sr. and Petty were driving.

Funny story I saw on the iRacing forums about someone meeting Justin Wilson of the IRL:

"At the Indy car race at Homestead a few weeks ago, I was standing in the pits for their second practice run. I was at the Z-Line car, and Justin Wilson walked up. He was talking to his crew chief and others, then started getting into his fire suit a few feet from me.

"Hi, my name is Jack Backus", I said to him. "Hi" he politely replied. I then said "Thanks for wrecking me at Indy". He looked at me puzzled, and said "Wrecked you?" "In the Lotus 79 at Indy during the practice on iRacing" I replied.

He started laughing loudly, took a few steps towards me and held his hand out. "Sorry if I wrecked you". As I was shaking his hand I told him all was fine. His crew had that look of 'who the heck is that guy?'."

great story... I can imagine it...
#438 - Zay
Jimmie is SO gonna win.

P.S grats to hornaday
Well, Denny did bump Brad like he said he would, only ended up hurting himself though when Nascar held him for a lap. If you're going to dump a guy to prove a point, you should probably do a better job making sure he actually gets some damage in the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jtVQ8cBWlU
Man, he sucks at crashing people.
Or maybe BK is just really good at not getting crashed.
Quote from UncleBenny :Or maybe BK is just really good at not getting crashed.

Props to him then. It seems like that is a good thing to know nowadays.
So when are they going to crown me, season champ?
Quote from UncleBenny :Well, Denny did bump Brad like he said he would, only ended up hurting himself though when Nascar held him for a lap. If you're going to dump a guy to prove a point, you should probably do a better job making sure he actually gets some damage in the process.

Am I seeing this right?

This guy intentionally wrecks another driver and is just held in the pits for one lap? That's ridiculous.

He shouldn't get anywhere near a race car for the rest of his life if he can't control his emotions.
Quote from UncleBenny :Well, Denny did bump Brad like he said he would, only ended up hurting himself though when Nascar held him for a lap. If you're going to dump a guy to prove a point, you should probably do a better job making sure he actually gets some damage in the process.

Hmm, back in 1993, 1999, drivers got into each other (Earnhardt at Charlotte, Hamilton at Bristol) spinning people out, they got five lap penalties
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Hmm, back in 1993, 1999, drivers got into each other (Earnhardt at Charlotte, Hamilton at Bristol) spinning people out, they got five lap penalties

NASCAR's too fricking soft when it comes to this...and yet they gave Tony Stewart a penalty for "aggressive driving" when he came down on Bowyer some years ago?

You dont intentionally take out someone by being in front then coming down on the person's nose...

NASCAR...stop acting like FIA and start holding your own ground...
Quote from lizardfolk :NASCAR's too fricking soft when it comes to this...and yet they gave Tony Stewart a penalty for "aggressive driving" when he came down on Bowyer some years ago?

You dont intentionally take out someone by being in front then coming down on the person's nose...

NASCAR...stop acting like FIA and start holding your own ground...

Didn't Keselowski not receive a single penalty for any of his incidents? I'm not sure, haven't seen anything about him getting penalised.
Quote from h3adbang3r :Didn't Keselowski not receive a single penalty for any of his incidents? I'm not sure, haven't seen anything about him getting penalised.

Yup. BK didnt even get so much as a slap on the wrist and Hamlin only got a 1 lap penalty. :rolleyes:
Quote from h3adbang3r :Didn't Keselowski not receive a single penalty for any of his incidents? I'm not sure, haven't seen anything about him getting penalised.

Because Brad never "intentionally" crashed Denny.
Quote from PMD9409 :Because Brad never "intentionally" crashed Denny.

But penalties like that have the "aggressive driving" label, not the "intentionally wreck" label. They can totally still slap BK with that penalty and still can cover themselves if the driver says "he never intentionally wreck someone"

Regardless of whether it's intentional or not (and i think it's pretty obvious that it is), it's still way too aggressive to be clean racing. It's just like the move twice rule in F1. Whether or not you intentionally weaved or just changed your mind mid move, FIA will still slap you with a penalty whether you intentionally blocked unfairly or not

NASCAR 2009 Season-Talk Chat
(467 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG