The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Just checked, site's already back up!
Quote from spanks :The sound is gnarly. It backfires like mad too. Its got a real grunt to it. It has a big tendency to understeer, but then snaps into oversteer big time if you stand on it. I don't think this setup is too grand but it sure is fun haha.

I'm pretty jealous right now. A great V8 engine sound is one of the main things I was hoping for with this car, sounds like they came through?

6 more hours of work to go...
I don't have time to grab video atm I really shouldn't be on the computer anyways..but I think they nailed the sound.

Not only the sound of a v8 but the unique sound of an LS series engine.

Its got the low end grunt sound, but then just absolutely screams and makes awful noises as it gets to redline. Its wonderful

The indycar is kind of fun. I think it will be addicting. It feels extremely sterile and easy to drive. It started to come alive the more I pushed it though. Setup is going to be everything on making that car work. I can't wait to see what the masterminds decide to do with it.
Quote from spanks :I don't have time to grab video atm I really shouldn't be on the computer anyways..but I think they nailed the sound.

Not only the sound of a v8 but the unique sound of an LS series engine.

Its got the low end grunt sound, but then just absolutely screams and makes awful noises as it gets to redline. Its wonderful

The indycar is kind of fun. I think it will be addicting. It feels extremely sterile and easy to drive. It started to come alive the more I pushed it though. Setup is going to be everything on making that car work. I can't wait to see what the masterminds decide to do with it.

I have a L76 V8 in my car and it will be awesome to have something that sounds similar sim racing.

Of all the days my company had to throw a meeting at lunch they HAD TO DO IT TODAY. At least I get free BBQ.
ok really gotta go now haha

Quote from spanks :ok really gotta go now haha

Nice, in all the screenshots I saw the headlights were yellow, looks like that's not always the case.
I've just had a quick race round Mosport with the Corvette. It really is very very very good. Got to go my wifes waiting on us going to Edinburgh so can't play with it more today. Damn personal life always gets in the way!
there is a laguna Seca hosted server up if you guys wanna jump in it. sofar fastest guy is down to 1'21's.

Did some lapping on Corvette and thought it was ok but once I got into Indycar.... that's a high rev'ing heaven on wheels!
Just watched that video of the 'Vette at Mosport. Really not impressed by the graphics, looks like just NR2002/2003 to me... I thought the graphics were supposed to be better?

In either case the track looks nice, if not a little barren (test session?). Wish this game was economically viable for me. I want a good Mosport
Tracks enviroment look little different depending on what session you're in, during practise sessions there's no crowd, some on qualify and full crowd during races. Also on that video it seems that graphics details are set fairly low, there's no track or cockpit shadows for an example.

During the race, track looks something like this:
Attached images
iRacingSim 2009-10-30 21-04-49-66.jpg
iRacingSim 2009-10-30 21-04-22-75.jpg
Quote from Crommi :Tracks enviroment look little different depending on what session you're in, during practise sessions there's no crowd, some on qualify and full crowd during races. Also on that video it seems that graphics details are set fairly low, there's no track or cockpit shadows for an example.

Ah ok, I thought it looked a little.. ehm... bland. I'd love to see it shine on race day with max graphics. Anyone got a vid?
I've only had a go in the Corvette so far. I'll start with the positives. The sound is absolutely wicked. Awesome, I love it. The modelling is great, and the immersion factor is probably the best in a sim yet.

The negatives for me are the tyres. I'm probably going to be alone in this as usual, but for me it feels like rFactor gave them their tyre model for this car. It feels like the max slip angles are at around 2 degrees. You can feel it through the FFB, in the way the centering force goes up from nothing to max with only a tiny amount of steering. The car is either constantly in understeer mode, or suddenly turning into uncontrollable oversteer without any warning. There is no middle zone. This is most apparant when testing on the skidpad. I tried to set every value in the setup to an extreme oversteer bias, and only then does it show a tiny amount of balance during cornering. However it's impossible to run with this kind of setup as you'd expect, as if you get the car to slide with more than 5 degrees of yaw, it's game over. It's rFactor all over again.
Quote from Crommi :During the race, track looks something like this:

Do you have your settings up high? I can't put my finger on it, but something about the graphical style still doesn't do it for me.
Now had a drive in the Dallara. Oh my god. This thing is ****ing awesome. I have nothing more to say.
Quote from DaveWS :Now had a drive in the Dallara. Oh my god. This thing is ****ing awesome. I have nothing more to say.

I was quite sceptical after a few laps at Road America.......

However, after driving Indianapolis, Sebring and Laguna... I am hooked. I'ts fantastic fun!

Oh my.. If Dave likes it... let's see the times come down
Quote from MAGGOT :Do you have your settings up high? I can't put my finger on it, but something about the graphical style still doesn't do it for me.

Yeah, I got details at max for replay mode where I took those screenshots.
But the graphics engine is still very much work-in-progress as other stuff takes priority over eye-candy.
There's recent comment from staff about graphics as they are right now:

Quote :There is an issue with contrast and color balance. We're working on graphics updates that deal with that, and true HDR lighting, DOF blurr, etc. We've had higher priorities right now, but all of that stuff is on our todo list. I've been able to play around with the contrast and color balance and it makes a huge difference.

Our track surface shaders are very lame right now. :-) The only objects with shaders doing anything complicated are the cars.

Shawn Nash, iRacing Staff
http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... &start=0&tstart=0

Reassuring comments, indeed. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I was never a massive fan of the NR2003 graphics engine anyways; it was very nice but just seemed off to me, but I can definitely deal with it. After looking at the monthly cost breakdown, this doesn't seem too, too expensive, so I may consider it. I still have that Radical promotion in my inbox (awaiting me to setup an account to use the code), but I don't have a credit card with which to set up the account. More tempting every day, though.
wonder how long, if ever before iracing goes DX 11 or 10.1 The default set for the Dallara pushes like crazy.
Damn...looks like I may have to find my sim racing gear and get back into iRacing....

*waits till pay new company gets it's fingers out of it's arse and pays me*
Quote from MAGGOT :Reassuring comments, indeed. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I was never a massive fan of the NR2003 graphics engine anyways; it was very nice but just seemed off to me, but I can definitely deal with it. After looking at the monthly cost breakdown, this doesn't seem too, too expensive, so I may consider it. I still have that Radical promotion in my inbox (awaiting me to setup an account to use the code), but I don't have a credit card with which to set up the account. More tempting every day, though.

i just got the promo code and redeemed it yesterday but i was using my crap computer so yeah will test it soon on good computer lol
Quote from Gabkicks :The default set for the Dallara pushes like crazy

I agree. Almost all default setups in iRacing are understeer central. The first thing I did in the Dallara was remove the front ARB and reduce the front tyre pressures. Whether or not it's realistic to have to make such adjustments is a different matter... Either way, the Dallara has enough setup options to keep Einstein busy for a year.
I think you need to use his theory of relativity to figure it out too

They posted on the forums that they just didn't have enough time to put decent setups together and they may add some over time. The cars were really worked on right up until they were made public...marketing team vs dev team decision?

Either way they're both a huge blast.

I may have just failed (or close to it) my linear algebra midterm but at least I've got iracing! Hmmm
Quote from DaveWS :The negatives for me are the tyres. I'm probably going to be alone in this as usual, but for me it feels like rFactor gave them their tyre model for this car. It feels like the max slip angles are at around 2 degrees. You can feel it through the FFB, in the way the centering force goes up from nothing to max with only a tiny amount of steering. The car is either constantly in understeer mode, or suddenly turning into uncontrollable oversteer without any warning. There is no middle zone.

Out of curiosity, how do you know this isn't accurate? Maybe these cars/tires really have low slip angles and are a bit "snappy"? After all, iRacing just tuned their tire model, so I believe they have some kind of idea that this is a better model than the old one..?

Seems to me that many simracers expect all race cars to have an extremely large and smooth transition from max traction <---> no traction. (LFS is extreme in this regard)
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG