The online racing simulator
Ladri di biciclette (The Bicycle Thieves)

A neorealism film, set in troubled post war Italy. It's not going to be happy, is it? Just incredible though, so beautiful and so powerful. The ending made me cry...goddamn...

Seen a lot of good films recently, mostly through LOVEFiLM, which I thoroughly recommend. Can't be bothered to find the list, but it included the rather wonderful The Third Man, and the pretty good The Damned United.

Just finished downloading Sátántangó. The reviews speak for themselves. I'll get back to you on it when I've got a spare 8 hours to watch it.

EDIT: Almost forgot Un Chien Andalou. A groundbreaking film, surrealist and incredibly shocking when it first came out (1929). Nowadays the shock value is tiny, apart from that eye scene! But seriously, watch it.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Mou Gaan Dou (aka Infernal Affairs)

The inspiration for The Departed (or a blatant rip off depending upon your point of view) showing once again that some of the best scripts over the past 10 years have been coming form Hong Kong and the far east area. Have always kept an eye on films from this region ever since discovering Jackie Chan long before anyone seemed to know who he was, and it continues to bring talent and good scripts. The references to other classics such as Hard Boiled are there to be seen, and a gentle nod to one of the greatest far east directors John Woo, who thankfully seems to be heading back to Hong Kong to work on a couple of projects.

If you have seen The Departed, chances are that this movie may pass you by, but if you haven't then I can't recommend this any higher.

A far better film than The Departed, IMO.
Quote from AstroBoy :Das Boot. Really hammers home just what it must've felt like to be on a sub during WW2.

It's a LONG WAY TO TIPPERARY, It's a long way, TO goooo.
It's a LONG WAY TO TIPPERARY, to the SWEETEST gal I knooowww
SkiN
Pineapple express wow what a laugh. A good funny movie full of laughs straight through.

Also watched death proof. now there is no plot to it, it's just car chases and killings, after the first 30 mins. But the final car chase is great fun to watch.
Moon.

It's brilliant!
Recently I saw....

The Hurt Locker

Pretty decent war flick, nice bit of tension and some nice arty direction, well worth a watch.

Terminator Salvation

Run of the mill, nuff said.
Breathless (Korea 2009): 9/10
I Love You, Man: 7/10 (funnier than I expected)
The Boat that Rocked: 7/10 (waaaay too many subplots but lots of fun)
I can recommend Die Hard 4.0.
Fun movie.
Three that spring to mind at the moment all worth watching but for completely different reasons:

New: District 9 http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/

Wasn't quite sure what to expect. Turned out to be nothing like I even thought I might expect !! Started off a bit odd, but turned out to be a very good film.

Not quite so new: Banlieue 13 (District 13) http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0414852/

Slightly dumb but entertaining futeristic/gangland French film.

On the old side: Le Placard (The Closet) http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0243493/

I'm not usually a fan of French films, (he says posting a second one), but this is a brilliantly subtle (and not so subtle) farce. Well worth a watch if you can deal with subtitles.
The new Bruce Willis movie Surrogates is awesome
The movie Die Welle is awesome too.. Not new though.
Quote from danowat :Hmmm.......do you not think the narrative should have explained in a bit more depth the above points?......

Nope. Because that would have made it just like all American films that treat the watcher like an idiot and explain every last detail.

Quote :
Don't get me wrong, its a good film, but the plot holes are gaping.

No gaping holes. Just lack of needless explanation. All that's needed is the application of a bit of imagination and thought to work out how the scenario came about. i.e. You don't need to be told that CJ was some kind of "team leader" or "techie" in their particular social structure to work out that he clearly wasn't a dumb "worker" like the majority were, and that's how he knew what needed to be done to get home.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :The Fountain

This is the kind of films I really enjoy, although granted it's not a film for everyone as a lot of people will think it is difficult to follow (which tbf it is). Beautiful cinematography/visual effects, powerful writing, wonderful direction and heck even Hugh Jackman (who is second only to Jason Statham as actors I loath) is on top notch with his performance. I can only say that if you liked Donnie Darko then give this a try, but if you are looking for a switch off and watch movie then avoid.

This will be viewed in 10/15 years time as a cult classic I feel

+1 . I love those kind of films. Not sure I really got a handle on it completley, but I love films that leave me wondering.
Quote from danowat :Recently I saw....

The Hurt Locker

Pretty decent war flick, nice bit of tension and some nice arty direction, well worth a watch.

Terminator Salvation

Run of the mill, nuff said.

I didn't think Terminator Salvation was run of the mill, I thought it was a pretty good sequel.
I finally got to watch a few movies I was wanting for a long time:

District 9: as weird as interesting. The final action sequences took too long though, became a somewhat regular movie. All things considered I really enjoyed it.

Up: simply mesmerizing.

The Thing: not scary anymore these days, but a pretty good movie. The non-CG effects are very well made and kept me wondering how the hell they did that. Should have been a blast at that time!

On a side note...
Quote from BlueFlame :I didn't think Terminator Salvation was run of the mill, I thought it was a pretty good sequel.

I thought it was the noisiest movie I've ever seen. And better than T3 but worse than the others.
Quote from de Souza :
I thought it was the noisiest movie I've ever seen. And better than T3 but worse than the others.

It's hard when Terminator 2 sequeled(or prequeled? :P) Terminator 1 and it was a better movie than the first.
Quote from de Souza :

Up: simply mesmerizing.

The Thing: not scary anymore these days, but a pretty good movie. The non-CG effects are very well made and kept me wondering how the hell they did that. Should have been a blast at that time!

The original 'Thing', called 'The Thing from Another World' was on TV the other night. I didn't get to see all of it because I was busy, but it made me hunt out the updated John Carpenter version on You Tube. The remake is one of my favourite movies, a definite classic.

Also saw Up a few weeks back. I really enjoyed it but lost a bit of interest half way through the movie, perhaps because I was very tired. The short film preceding it was actually more fun than UP I thought- forget what it was called but it was the one with the stalks and cloud creatures. Fantastic!
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

Typical Terry Gilliam production. One of those films that doesn't seem to make much sense, but it makes you concentrate harder on what is happening. I really enjoyed it, even though it was a bit strange. It's quite Monty Python like in places, which is expected being produced by Gilliam. Interesting how they managed to finish the film off too with the death of Heath Ledger complicating things. Would recommend it, but would not expect anyone and everyone to enjoy it.
Just watched "La Femme Nikita" again. Great movie. Only watch the original not the crap Hollywood remake.
Armageddon

Superb movie.

I have seen it millions of times and it still has me on the brink of wiping a tear at the end.

Pick Of Destiny.
It's fun if you like that kind of humour and it's awesome if you like that kind of music.
Quote from Stefani24 :Pick Of Destiny.
It's fun if you like that kind of humour and it's awesome if you like that kind of music.

Jack Black is a legend. Being a Tenacious D fan I thought the film was right funny, especially as I wasn't exactly sober when I watched it the first time.

Watched 'Metal - A Headbanger's Journey' last night. More of a documentary but it was quite interesting. Norwegian satanist's are fudged up, burning down churches because they hate everything to do with christianity. I had no idea it was that bad.

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG