The online racing simulator
Borderlands - xbox 360, PS3, PC
(138 posts, started )
is anyone else excited for this? i know i am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkmLE6n8bH0

Quote :Gamestop
Lock, Load, & Face the Madness ! Get ready for the mind-blowing insanity, as one of four trigger-happy mercenaries, taking out everything that stands in your way. With its addictive action, frantic first person shooter combat, massive arsenal of weaponry, RPG elements and four-player co-op, Borderlands is the breakthrough experience that challenges all the conventions of modern shooters. Borderlands places you in the role of a mercenary on the lawless and desolate planet of Pandora, hell bent on finding a legendary stockpile of powerful alien technology known as The Vault.

around 17 million weapons RPS (roleplaying shooter)
what more could you ask for
Nooooooo... Looks crap with that draw crap, and meh, no.
Quote from Bose321 :Nooooooo... Looks crap with that draw crap, and meh, no.

i think it looks awesome, its different
Quote from Bose321 :Nooooooo... Looks crap with that draw crap, and meh, no.

I wasn't sure about the style until I heard his justification for it at the end of the clip. I can deal with it.

I think this game could be incredibly good, or a complete failure. I'm interested in trying it out; which is a big deal as I hate RPGs. My only real nit pick from watching the video is that the environment doesn't draw me in. I get the desolate aspect, but there doesn't look to be anything of interest to it. We'll see how it pans out. I know I want to try it out.
i tough this was bordellands, and reading the first few lines from your post i was confused
The gameplay in this video looks extremely static and dull. I wouldn't mind the looks, but the gampelay just looks like a big turn off. The guns lack punch, both visually and in audio, and in effect on the enemy. It just looks like a generic shooter from the late 90ies to the early 2000s. Who cares about character developement and an open world if the gameplay itself is shallow?
Looks fairly interesting, but ingame footage shows a game that is not really polished up. HUD looks too messy and info is scattered around, obscuring your view. I like the art style but you really need to use some colors to make it work; it's very difficult to see gray monsters against gray backround, even with black silhuettes.

Quote from mutt107 :around 17 million weapons RPS (roleplaying shooter)
what more could you ask for

From what he described, items are basically generated on the fly. Basically same kind of system as you'd see in any MMOPRG or dungeon crawler, closest comparison would be Hellgate: London.
I like that kind of graphics, but I hate arcadish and futuristic shooters
I was really interested a while back, but then they changed the art style and was meh. I don't really like the cartoon-looking stuff, like Crackdown. It gives me a bit of a headache after a while. Must be the black borders.

It will probably get lost in the melee this year, what with Modern Warfare 2 and ODST.
#11 - Byku
For me graphics are little turn off, they could make it dark, hostile etc, instead they've made it cartoonish.
Cel-shaded graphics are not inherently upbeat. I'd say most actual comics tend to lean towards unpleasant. I've only read one full series of graphic novels (Neil Gaiman's fantastic Sandman) and they're pretty dark. Besides, that graphical style works really well for cyberpunk stuff.
Quote from LFSn00b :Why does it look a bit like a F3 ripoff?

because it is?

Anyway, how can this guy say "we're doing so much original stuff" when what they're basically doing is "post nuclear FPS with RPG elements" which sounds a lot like something Bethesda has done before...
Only good addition is the cars, and Im not even sure it's going to be a big part of the gameplay
woulda been better if they had made firefly the game. Now that would have pwned.

PS if you don't know what firefly is it was a tv show
Looks quite cool, might give it a try.
just bought it, its awesome!!!
I bought it as it was only 40$ CDN. Still haven't played it yet but I will in a little bit here.

BTW guys, in Canada at Future Shop, WalMart and Game Stop it's only 40$ for a few days/weeks (It was today at least). Then chances are in a few weeks if you still dislike it, you can trade it in to something like EB for more than you bought it for.
Wow! This title totally snuck up on me - it's fantastic! I was playing it for a few hours with a buddy today, and that is seriously more fun co-op than Halo and Left 4 Dead. I was a bit skeptical about a quarter million guns... but it's done really well! There's enough variation in the guns that they all feel unique. Collecting new guns is strangely addicting and fun. Nothing beats the first time you find a really powerful shotgun and blast a Skag (split-face dog thing) to smitherines in one shot. There's tons of enemy types, too, and that keeps firefights frantic as you try to counter every tactic being thrown at you.

You definitely need to bring a friend to get the most out of this game though. Single player doesn't have the same zest. Still fun with one person though. I would imagine 4-player co-op to be an absolute blast, judging by how much fun 2-player was.

It's really nice to finally play something good, without all the hype bringing things down. This game is pretty much a summary of the last decade in gaming: it's got WoW talent trees, it's got Call of Duty-solid gunplay, it's got Fallout 3's open world (though not quite that open, though I'm only in the first area still), it's got leveling, it's got the 4-player co-op, it's got the immersion factor, it's just got everything (except a really robust deathmatch multiplayer).
4 Player Co-Op is really awesome. As a lower level with a higher level it's overwelming but most guys are pretty good and will drag you along and help you level very quickly.

I have started a Co-Op Campaign with the GF though, I'm so much further but I still drag her through the initial quests as it's finally a Co-Op game that I want to play.
Went to rent it today but they didn't have it =(

I'll just wait for the PC version methinks.
#21 - JJ72
Somehow not interested at all, a looting game with weapon upgrade just isn't my sort of thing, preordered L4D2 instead.
Good to hear this turned out well.. I think I might rent it for PS3 if I can acue enough funs from the change hidden in the sofa. If it's good enough I'll pick it up once I get a paycheque...
Going to get this asasp
I think it's utter cr*p if im honest

Has to do with expectations a bit since he first screens I've seen of it looked like this (about a year ago)
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xb ... nds-20070822054714189.jpg

and the first trailer looked like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3iEuTuKvdU

it all summed up to a Fallout 3 clone with mad max style racing, and death race violence. BUT, what we have is a boring, and trying to be funny cartoonish shooter with a primitive leveling system (YAY RPG), and mediocre at best gameplay... I've played for about 2 hours and that's all Im going to give it. Even the guns look pathetic, sound pathetic, and there is absolutely no atmosphere to it (if im in the post nuclear future (which is neat clean, colourfull and tidy here) shooting a rifle, i'd like it to at least sound like it's dealing damage). Seriously, i'd rather play Fallout 3 with a motorcycle mod... and I will
Soon as they develop a mmoww2 game, fps, ongoing with stat/rpg-style development (that looks modern, not like something from 1998) i`m there. otherwise, i`m still developing other racing games for fun.

(138 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG