The online racing simulator
Live For Speed - Collateral Collision
(157 posts, started )
Quote from chucknorris :No skidmarks?

Yes, that was the next problem because of large amount of actors and multiple shoots from the same place, it would look bad with lots of skidmarks there... The take had to be restarted everytime to erase te skidmarks.
Quote from chucknorris :No skidmarks?

Our cars were that well fitted with electronics and ABS that skidmarks were a highly unlikly occurance, in addition to our highly skilled drivers, and to ensure consitancy on the repetitive use of the same 1Mile bit of motorway we washed off any marks.....
Quote from hadesko :Well, yasterday i just read the comments here, everyone was like "yay awesome!!!" so i expected something really good, but this time, i didn't get it...
I don't like it, really...camerawork was abit crappy in some scenes, you should record with more camera smoothing! Also the effects, (well if there were some) were not that good. But i must admit that action was very nice. Oh and sync with the car sounds was good also!
Overall it was proper video, that i can watch once, and it's enough.

cant please everyone, life would be too easy huh?

could you be constructive and more specific on what scenes were "a bit crappy" just for the future in case there is a sequel
Wow, awersome job What to say, everything looks so great and realistic that it's really hard to find drawbacks

There are just two points that made me tilt a little bit :
  1. ie, at 3:29 of part 2, you see no cars in the background. I know it's because of the limit of 8 cars on the dragstrip, but then I think you should have filmed the scene in another angle, because it doesn't look very realistic to have such a compact traffic in front of...nothing.
  2. 5:18, part 2 : I can't imagine someone driving on a public road with such an hard ride height
Anyway, once again, fantastic job, I really enjoyed the whole thing, the noice adverts, the realistic skins, the UF1 flying, etc, etc...
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Wow, awersome job What to say, everything looks so great and realistic that it's really hard to find drawbacks

There are just two points that made me tilt a little bit :
  1. ie, at 3:29 of part 2, you see no cars in the background. I know it's because of the limit of 8 cars on the dragstrip, but then I think you should have filmed the scene in another angle, because it doesn't look very realistic to have such a compact traffic in front of...nothing.
  2. 5:18, part 2 : I can't imagine someone driving on a public road with such an hard ride height
Anyway, once again, fantastic job, I really enjoyed the whole thing, the noice adverts, the realistic skins, the UF1 flying, etc, etc...

indeed part 2 at 3:39, obviously that crash was filmed seperate, with numerous attempts to get it right, having traffic in the background would of caused the filming to take much longer (considering that crash alone took about 3 hours..) in addition as you mention, there is a limit to 8 cars, we needed cars on the other side of the strip and our side, unfortunatly something needed to be comprimised, and considering traffic behind the white car might of interupted the collision course, we made the decision to have that area clear.

2: 5:18 totally agree!, unfortunatly on part 1 4:46 too. This is due to the lack of equipment, there isnt any air cannons in LFS...
#56 - Migz
I started downloading this as soon as it was publically released, and watched it as soon as it had been downloaded last night.

Now i sort of liked it, indeed it was a great film, it was put together well, the music went great, the crashes were great, the driving was great, the sounds were great. It was all great, but it didnt exactly have me on the edge of my seat, other movies ive watched have left me going :| WHOAH! At the end. Yours just left me sort of, well that was pretty good but i was expecting yours to leave me running for tissues to wipe up all the....*AHEM*.
It's not a bad movie, but for some reason it wasnt that exciting for me.
But still, id love to see a second one anyways
Quote from Migz :I started downloading this as soon as it was publically released, and watched it as soon as it had been downloaded last night.

Now i sort of liked it, indeed it was a great film, it was put together well, the music went great, the crashes were great, the driving was great, the sounds were great. It was all great, but it didnt exactly have me on the edge of my seat, other movies ive watched have left me going :| WHOAH! At the end. Yours just left me sort of, well that was pretty good but i was expecting yours to leave me running for tissues to wipe up all the....*AHEM*.
It's not a bad movie, but for some reason it wasnt that exciting for me.
But still, id love to see a second one anyways

Cheers for the feedback! - which movies in particular, or an example scenarios that "left you on the edge of your seat?"
#58 - Migz
Obviously all the Teh Carl movies.

Then having a quick look to try and find some of the old movies i liked there was these.

Welcome To LFS 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKfipLHtP4

RTN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?g ... p;hl=es&v=G7IjUrG73Cg

Design Dudes - Two Years Of Creative Madness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?g ... p;hl=de&v=eNCGZmX9__M

Live For Speed S2 - Why I Play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvj0iY1Zig

Short Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2w6ZviyQWU&fmt=18

But i cant really compare your movie to any of the others, because yours is more an action movie.

But i dunno, it seemed a bit empty? At heart all your was, was two guys racing about making other cars crash. Maybe some sort of storyline wouldve helped.

Maybe the main driver is an ex pro racer, and the other guy is just some idiot with a powerful car. Therefore throughout the whole movie you would see the ex pro racer doing unbelivably skillfull driving such as perfect racing line, weaving in and out of traffic beautifully, perhaps even getting the back out and drifting around a corner or two. While the other guy who is less skilled but has the more powerful car manages to not crash but was only managing to keep up due to him having a more poweful car?

Or you could of had lets say three people on the bad guys side? And they're all terrorising the first driver, but one by one the first guy manges to take them off until he gets to the third and final guy who is the leader/best driver.

I dunno im crap at ideas, but what you made was just a movie full of driving and crashing. It was good driving, and good crashing, and even a good movie but i dunno it was just missing something?
Quote from Migz :Obviously all the Teh Carl movies.

Then having a quick look to try and find some of the old movies i liked there was these.

Welcome To LFS 2

RTN

Short Movie

But i cant really compare your movie to any of the others, because yours is more an action movie.

But i dunno, it seemed a bit empty? At heart all your was, was two guys racing about making other cars crash. Maybe some sort of storyline wouldve helped.

Maybe the main driver is an ex pro racer, and the other guy is just some idiot with a powerful car. Therefore throughout the whole movie you would see the ex pro racer doing unbelivably skillfull driving such as perfect racing line, weaving in and out of traffic beautifully, perhaps even getting the back out and drifting around a corner or two. While the other guy who is less skilled but has the more powerful car manages to not crash but was only managing to keep up due to him having a more poweful car?

Or you could of had lets say three people on the bad guys side? And they're all terrorising the first driver, but one by one the first guy manges to take them off until he gets to the third and final guy who is the leader/best driver.

I dunno im crap at ideas, but what you made was just a movie full of driving and crashing. It was good driving, and good crashing, and even a good movie but i dunno it was just missing something?

no, no, some good ideas there! indeed, its difficult to compare, and compete with things like lfs 2 etc, but there totally differant genres, agreed, teh carl had a better theme, but in terms of driving, action and crashes, we differ in opinion.

i do agree on the fact we had no major theme or storyline, perhaps in the future we will, but for this movie, being our first, we just wanted to see what we could get out of lfs, keeping it simple, yet creating it as actioned packed as possible. but look at bullit or ronin, do they really have a storyline, or does everyone know them by their car scenes
#60 - Migz
Quote from unknownrisks :no, no, some good ideas there! indeed, its difficult to compare, and compete with things like lfs 2 etc, but there totally differant genres, agreed, teh carl had a better theme, but in terms of driving, action and crashes, we differ in opinion.

i do agree on the fact we had no major theme or storyline, perhaps in the future we will, but for this movie, being our first, we just wanted to see what we could get out of lfs, keeping it simple, yet creating it as actioned packed as possible. but look at bullit or ronin, do they really have a storyline, or does everyone know them by their car scenes

Thank you.
Yeah you would have the better driving, action and crashes but you just need that one last thing to make it WHOOOOOOOT haha.

but fair enough, i do look forward to seeing your next movie in a few years haha.

Oh and id never heard of Ronin nor Bullit, but having just watched some clips on youtube i know want to watch both.
#61 - TG44
ok i finally got to watch it now.. and WOW! I mean, usually i get bored if i watch a game video this long. but this is great! i like how you kept almost the same damage on the cars for all the tracks you used to make this.

The end confused me quite a bit though.. first the fxo comes down from the highway on SO and then all of a sudden it's on the dragstrip getting hit by an uf1, and then it's on SO again? oh wait, had to watch it again.. didn't notice it's a different FXO... man that got me confused..

but overall this is one kickass lfs movie and especially one kickass lfs chase movie! good work guys.
You have to imagine that the movie isn't taking place inside LFS; otherwise it is quite jarring when you see the cars appearing in different words. Anyone who didn't know LFS would easily be convinced.
definately worth the wait!!!! that was incredible!!completely loved it!

i think i kow how to get a less obvious roll over setup...have the damper all of the way up, front and back, rebound damper, none at all...sway bar i am not quite sure, and have the suspension stiffness and the ride height, give the suspension room to grow, and dont make the suspension too tight.

(i origionally took the rollover XFG as a jacked up one)
Quote from logitekg25 :definately worth the wait!!!! that was incredible!!completely loved it!

i think i kow how to get a less obvious roll over setup...have the damper all of the way up, front and back, rebound damper, none at all...sway bar i am not quite sure, and have the suspension stiffness and the ride height, give the suspension room to grow, and dont make the suspension too tight.

(i origionally took the rollover XFG as a jacked up one)

perhaps, but with less ride height, perhaps it wouldnt roll so much/as well? -its something to consider next time
Quote from Migz :Obviously all the Teh Carl movies.

Welcome To LFS 2

RTN

Short Movie

I should explain that my intention was to make it feel like an authentic movie car chase, nothing more nothing less, which isn't something that is done very often here since LFS is, afterall, a racing simulation so I appreciate that it won't appeal to everyone.

As for the lack of plot, this was all deliberate. It works on the same basis as Duel and Grindhouse - you don't know why the other driver is so intent on chasing his target down which adds to the suspense factor. So I don't feel my desired effect would have been quite as accomplished.

As a response to a few other criticisms, I did my best to iron out any possible flaws but there were some things that were simply unavoidable at the time. We tried various setups but the ones we used in the end had the desired effect, so I was happy with them. There are probably many other goofs that nobody has mentioned too, which for a project of this ambitious nature (bare in mind too that this was our first ever LFS movie) is inevitable. As Mp3 Astra said, try to imagine it outside of LFS
Quote from unknownrisks :perhaps, but with less ride height, perhaps it wouldnt roll so much/as well? -its something to consider next time

if you set the damper all the way, if you have a attempt to recover the roll, the lifting of the outer side will jack it up, and the damper will not let it down fast...i will test it in the XFG later.
That was really nice. I see lots of work done to make this short "film". Good work guys...maybe the ending could of been different, I was waiting for something like they crash etc. But those sound effects etc. were really good.
we tried that but it looked shit cause of limitations in lfs. What we wanted to do was have the rb4 smash into the fxo and flip him.
Quote from andRo. :That was really nice. I see lots of work done to make this short "film". Good work guys...maybe the ending could of been different, I was waiting for something like they crash etc. But those sound effects etc. were really good.

As Luke said, we were considering that but to be honest I felt that the final ending actually worked out better, as I triumphantly drive off into the distance after causing such chaos.
Absolutely awesome. If only LFS had those sound effects. The camera work was also epic

Although a shame that whoever filmed it had Draw rubber set to OFF
Quote from JO53PHS :Absolutely awesome. If only LFS had those sound effects. The camera work was also epic

Although a shame that whoever filmed it had Draw rubber set to OFF

Trust me it would have been shite.

In between takes there were people drifting and doing donuts everywhere.
how hard would it be to edit in skidmarks? i wouldnt know

EDIT: and another suggestion, when most people shift out of park/neutral, they step on the brakes (in the begginning) and when he stops to let the other guy go in the parking lot, he seemed to SLAM on the brakes...and you said earlier you made it without knowing why the guy was chasing her/him (high heels in begginning?) on purpose, do you have an idea why?
Quote from logitekg25 :how hard would it be to edit in skidmarks? i wouldnt know

EDIT: and another suggestion, when most people shift out of park/neutral, they step on the brakes (in the begginning) and when he stops to let the other guy go in the parking lot, he seemed to SLAM on the brakes...and you said earlier you made it without knowing why the guy was chasing her/him (high heels in begginning?) on purpose, do you have an idea why?

Now you're just nitpicking But as was stated before, skid marks were disabled since the tracks were covered in them which wouldn't look good for takes. And I don't really understand your other point to be honest.
yes i am nitpicking =P if you got the finished product and just edited in skidmarks how would it be? also i noticed the skin for the rb4 said celica...it looks a lot like a supra instead do you know why the guy was chasing him/her?
No, the suspense comes from the fact that you don't know why the Toyota is chasing the Vauxhall. As I said before, this works on the same basis as the movies Duel and Grindhouse: Death Proof.

Live For Speed - Collateral Collision
(157 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG