The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from MadCat360 :What is wrong with iRacing's transmissions? Does it not have a clutch or something?

It doesn't have a transmission really... No clutch modelling, all you have to do is pull a paddle and it will magically change gear.
Quote from DaveWS :I'll just have to learn to cope with how it is and deal with it I guess, nothing more to say.

Dave, I've just been reading about this oversteer issue with interest because what you're experiencing in iRacing is something I've always had in LFS, ironically enough.

I've spent hours messing with the FF and controller settings in LFS to sort it out but have been unsuccessful, and the main symptom is this massively over-exaggerated counter-steer effect, similar to what you're getting with the Mazda in iRacing.

Curiously enough, I also saw it with nkPro after they released the patch but I was able to fix that with just a few tweaks to the FF settings, so although I can't cure it in LFS, I'm still sure it comes down to that (iirc it was the speed-sensitive steering setting that cured it in nkPro).

While I do agree there seems to be a specific issue with the Mazda in iRacing, could it be that it's being exaggerated on your particular setup due to this issue, which would explain the disparity between you and other users?
Quote from durbster :Dave, I've just been reading about this oversteer issue with interest because what you're experiencing in iRacing is something I've always had in LFS, ironically enough.

Hmm, do you have any wheel compensation set (above 0.00) in LFS? Because if wheel turn is set less than 720 degrees in LFS the steering becomes less sensitive around the center if you use well above 0 wheel comp.

I think the reason there is some disparity between me and other iRacers is because my driving style is more suited for LFS. In iRacing you have to drive like Jenson Button, i.e. no mid corner steering wheel corrections, at least in the Mazda.
Quote from DaveWS :Hmm, do you have any wheel compensation set (above 0.00) in LFS? Because if wheel turn is set less than 720 degrees in LFS the steering becomes less sensitive around the center if you use well above 0 wheel comp.

It's been a long time since I fired LFS up so I can't really remember to be honest. I'm pretty sure I've tried everything. It doesn't help that I've got an ancient wheel; the old Ferrari one - still going strong after nine years!

Quote from DaveWS :I think the reason there is some disparity between me and other iRacers is because my driving style is more suited for LFS. In iRacing you have to drive like Jenson Button, i.e. no mid corner steering wheel corrections, at least in the Mazda.

Curiously that's exactly how I feel about LFS. In iRacing (which I've only played at mate's house, admittedly) and nkPro I feel quite comfortable chucking the cars about aggressively but in LFS, anything other than silky smooth results in comedy oversteer.

How strange
I have noticed that iRacing does require much smoother driving, and mid corner ajustments only really go badly in iRacing, while in LFs they all seem to be possible.
I'm inclined to agree a bit with Dave on this issue. To me, the Mazda doesn't feel completely 'right', and the aero model feels much less sophisticated than what I remember of LFS' model. It's all a bit moot for me to talk about, since I'm not a race-driver and I don't know what a real Star Mazda feels like, but all in all, I just can't get a feel for the car, and I don't think I ever will. The Solstice, Skip Barber, Spec Racer, Late Model etc all feel fantastic on road courses, but the Mazda feels detached and I never have a clue what the car is doing at all.

When I learn a new track in the Skippy I can keep it on track and gradually increase my pace until I am up to speed, but in the Mazda I will spin and spin and spin until experience or trial & error teaches me what speeds are possible. It's quite frustrating and although I know there's a problem with the driver, I can't help but feel that there's something lacking in the car as well. It's not hard to drive - it's much, much easier to drive than the Skippy, but I can't connect to it, and I can't feel where the limit is and when I'm about to step over it.

Case in point: When I drive the Skippy around a new track, after 10 laps I can figure out roughly what my optimum lap would be after a week of practice, and roughly how far I would be off from the top qualifying time. In the Mazda, I never know until I look up the qualifying charts, and then it's always shocking to see that there's another 1-2 seconds to gain on top of my estimate. It's like I always need visual confirmation from others to determine what my own maximum pace could be, and it feels absolutely impossible to sense the limit of the car.

It's a bit of a shame really, because I can't seem to step away from the Skippy as there's no series out there which is more interesting to me.

- The SRF is great, but driven around dead-beat tracks and the competition seems to be rather stale in comparison to other classes.

- The Mazda doesn't feel right (see up) although it seems to be the most competetive class with some degree of activity.

- The Radical just feels like utter bile. I really wouldn't want to be caught racing it dead.

- The Daytona Prototype was pretty much stillborn in my mind; way too little activity and races at bad times. The car itself feels 'alright', but I don't like the lazy revving engine and silly low-power in first gear. Here's an endurance-class race car that is beaten off the line by a damn Solstice for the first 50 meters: it's sad. I know I can gear the car to spin the tyres off the line, but for example the Chevy Truck has a worse power/weight ratio, and it spins like a maniac into 2nd with similar gearing. It just feels like they wanted to make standing starts retard-proof really.

Anyway, ramble ramble, I'm done
its funny i used to hate the radical but in the last two weeks i've come to like it and even have a slight crush on it

i've become comfortable with it and am even using SPs setups now with out any modifications to calm the rear, when you get it right you can balance the front and rear nicely
Quote from Liff :Tim Wheatley said this yesterday: "Transmission and drivetrain will be worked on considerably, to the point where you can damage them or lose time/speed by doing things in an incorrect manner. Those items have not been implemented yet, however."

At last! Dont know how i missed that.. I scan the iRaing forum like a hawk, but still cant see that...got a link?

Nice to know that they are getting round to it at last anyway. Now if they do something about some open servers so we can actually use the content we buy more than 1 or 2 weeks a season, I'll be interested in re-subbing at some point.

@jertje Good post, i couldn't agree more. Especially about the "retard proof starts"
The lack of transmission modeling is the single most annoying thing for me as well. So it's great news that they are apparently working on it! Better late than never. Until it is implemented I'm not sure I'll re-subscribe.. for the Corvette (which has a manual H-gate in real life) proper transmission is going to be essential!
Quote from Gnomie : for the Corvette (which has a manual H-gate in real life) proper transmission is going to be essential!

..Flat shifting the Lotus '79 is a crime as well
I'm killing to see the Vette...

What you guys think about the Lotus' sound?? I didn't like it...
Quote from buck77 :I'm killing to see the Vette...

What you guys think about the Lotus' sound?? I didn't like it...

The problem apparantly lies with the software, but the sound has the potential to be near perfect. Here is a comparison of the actual recording used and the iRacing version: http://www.soundwaveconcepts.c ... _Then_iRacing_Samples.mp3 (posted in the forums)
That's pretty much as close as it gets tbh. It just seems like the iRacing interpretation is slightly more high-pitched.

Edit: you'll notice that the YouTube video sounds quite similar, but the in-game engine sound is washed out slightly by wind noise etc. I still think it's fairly accurate, if a bit 'clean' sounding at worst.
Quote from Jertje :The problem apparantly lies with the software, but the sound has the potential to be near perfect. Here is a comparison of the actual recording used and the iRacing version: http://www.soundwaveconcepts.c ... _Then_iRacing_Samples.mp3 (posted in the forums)
That's pretty much as close as it gets tbh. It just seems like the iRacing interpretation is slightly more high-pitched.

Edit: you'll notice that the YouTube video sounds quite similar, but the in-game engine sound is washed out slightly by wind noise etc. I still think it's fairly accurate, if a bit 'clean' sounding at worst.

Now you got a point!

Well, let's wait until it can be in our garage!!!
Quote from Jertje :The problem apparantly lies with the software, but the sound has the potential to be near perfect. Here is a comparison of the actual recording used and the iRacing version: http://www.soundwaveconcepts.c ... _Then_iRacing_Samples.mp3 (posted in the forums)

From that sample you posted wide open throttle sounds pretty good, what's missing IMO is the pops, crackles, and off throttle tone/sounds. It's just... too digital. Honestly though I couldn't care less, I just want to drive the thing.
Quote from The Moose :

No point having those cars and wonderful tracks if you hardly ever get to use them either.

I'll be back when the core simulation is being improved, rather than them just milking the content cash cow. Oh... and when there are servers that we can actually enjoy using our content on.

There's a rapidly growing thread in the England section of the forums with more people..long time and short time customers, that are voting with their wallets and not re-subbing either. It's a real shame and i will miss it initially, but there's just not enough substance to iRacing.

Ditto my friend, I feel the same way about iRacing. They need to improve the core sim & stop watering down the categories with even more cars.
I'm glad to hear people getting fed up of it (like a new toy) & voting with there wallets.

I think iRacing will sit up & take note as more & more racers fail to renew. Knowing them they will start waving special offers under our noses to tempt us back. Maybe if the sim has improved a lot by the time we get Brands/Oulton i might go back.

I am still impressed by the constant improvement by the devs & the way that input from the racers is listened to & in the most part, implemented.(or at least worked on) You always get the feeling that this time next year it will be a much better race simulator.

As it stands, the pricing structure is iRacings biggest downfall. A few months skippy racing should be around $30 - $40 tops. Charging us for every decent track & for cars, ontop of the monthly subs is just to much.
At the end of the day it is only a simulation & many of us just cant justify paying over the odds.
Quote from The Moose :..Flat shifting the Lotus '79 is a crime as well

Yeah, I guess. Frankly I don't really care too much for formula cars (never have, in any sim), but I know there's plenty of people who do.

How much work can it be to make at least a crude, temporary solution? It's probably more difficult than it sounds, but I'm sure they have coders who are capable of doing something about it..
Quote from Gnomie :How much work can it be to make at least a crude, temporary solution? It's probably more difficult than it sounds, but I'm sure they have coders who are capable of doing something about it..

Dunno, but if that lazy git Kunos can make a good job of it on his own with nKPRo, iRacings crack team of coders shouldn't have a problem
Quote from Gnomie :How much work can it be to make at least a crude, temporary solution? It's probably more difficult than it sounds, but I'm sure they have coders who are capable of doing something about it..

That's never a good idea with software. If you just put in "a quick hack" it will always come back and bite you on the arse later on.
I bring good news once again. It's now been too long for me to remember since I last won a race, and I've yet to win any so far edit: in the Mazda, despite almost winning the first one I raced in. Anyway, here's a short replay cut of someone outbraking themselves and plowing me off the track on lap 2...

http://www.mediafire.com/?cznevwyhfcy
Transmission modeling isn't too big a deal for me, since I'm not a true enthusiast, and I'll just program some macros to do whatever it takes to implement clean shifts at the touch of a button (with the CH USB controllers I use, that button can be translated into lift throttle, depress clutch, shift gear, modulate throttle, release clutch, return throttle control back to controller position, with appropriate delays between each action), the equivalent of an aftermarket no lift sequential shifter setup such as an XTRAC.
At last. After 2 more shocking races earlier today, it's finally clicked together. Led start to finish with a new PB, and no incidents, long may it continue. *prays*
Quote from DaveWS :At last. After 2 more shocking races earlier today, it's finally clicked together. Led start to finish with a new PB, and no incidents, long may it continue. *prays*

about time grumpy bar Steward
At least you moaned with good backup.
You wait forever for one bus to come along, then 2 come all of a sudden. I was a little bit luckier to win this one though. Volker was in it, on pole obviously, with me 2nd. On lap 2 (iirc) he made an error in the final corner, and I slipstreamed passed down the straight, and then went on to stay infront for 11 laps, until the inevitable happened and I made a small error myself. Luckily I kept a comfortable 2nd until lap 17 where he span off in the treacherous (sp) T3, and handed me the victory (which I almost threw away with 3 laps to go..).
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG