The online racing simulator
Lol, i cant believe u's are still busting ma balls over something that happened 4 years ago....

Anyways, Where are you getting ur quotes and how old are u? On 3 different sites i looked at for a 1.9tdi A3 after just passing test @ 17 is about £3800 FC... 4k ffs

An Astra SXI 1.8 16v with all extras is £3100....

Insurance is going to be mental high whatever u get for ur first car...,, Why not spend just a little more and get something Sporty and fun?...
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I quite like rovers. Dont kill me!

Me too, we have a 420D. We also have a 1.9D Opel Zafira, but Rover pwns Zaf. Goes much smoother and faster than the Zaf, that engine is awesome.
My first car was '88 Pug 205 1,9D. That's naturally aspirated 44kW of diesel 'power' for you . It was quite a good car to learn to drive, except for seizing front brakes and crappy rear suspension.
Quote from Foilpact :Lol, i cant believe u's are still busting ma balls over something that happened 4 years ago....

Anyways, Where are you getting ur quotes and how old are u? On 3 different sites i looked at for a 1.9tdi A3 after just passing test @ 17 is about £3800 FC... 4k ffs

Insurance is going to be mental high whatever u get for ur first car...,, Why not spend just a little more and get something Sporty and fun?...

buy a car/van - don't have give anyone lifts, cheap insurance and tax. Plus most car vans are normally decently sized engines with a little bit of poke in them ( i.e focus tcdi xsara hdi etc )

though i know everyone wants a flash car a.s.a.p just tint the windows all round ( light front, dark on the back ) and your sorted.
Quote from Foilpact :Lol, i cant believe u's are still busting ma balls over something that happened 4 years ago....

Because you're doing quotes for policy's that are FC and not TPFT.

I think I am going to go down the Corsa/Civic/Saxo route, I want something cheap now lol. Can't be assed with spending like £2k on insurance, stupid for a first car really, will wait until I am 19/20 and get a BMW E30 or something similar.
The thing with those cars is their popularity with young drivers, so the insurance still wont be cheap enough for you not to grumble at it, beggers can't be choosers though.

As for FC over FPTF there really isn't that much of a differnce, when I was looking for my first insurance the differnce was no more than £100.

On elephant it was actually cheaper going FC, you really should be going FC anyway, you do a lot of backroad driving, which no doubt are going to have farm animals and deer running accross them at night, and they sure as hell aint gunna be able to give you their details after you send them 30 feet through the air.

Backroads also suck for other idiot drivers parking, only yesterday I went over a hill on my local backroad to Falkirk and there was a van and 3 cars pakred on the road with car coming the other way, only doing 60mph and I couldn't stop before the van, so had to slip by the van and between the parked cars, not fun.
Anyone know of any nippy 1 litres? The reason why I want a nippy car is that going through country lanes+deliverying means you want speed to get the food to the customer as quick as possible but I may also be delivery round town also.

Any ideas of what is nippy but pretty cheap for a 17yr old to insure?
If you want something that's going to have a bit of go about it then it's gunna be a 1.2sxi corsa, or a 1.4i VSX saxo. Both doing 0-60 in around 11 seconds.

The saxo is group 5, the corsa group 3, but if you want the cheapest to insure then your better getting a 1.0 12v corsa, it's a group 1, 0-60 in 16 seconds. My first car was a 1.2 corsa trip, 0-60 in 16.8 seconds and that felt nippy enough, had it on some long journeys and it overtook cars ok, was easier with a run up though.
1L Yaris does 0-60 in a touch over 13s. Not sure what class it's in insurance-wise, but it was €600 a year for me to insure, at 17 Get the 3 door VVTi if you're getting one, they're pretty much the quickest and most reliable 1L around
Quote from Bawbag :If you want something that's going to have a bit of go about it then it's gunna be a 1.2sxi corsa, or a 1.4i VSX saxo. Both doing 0-60 in around 11 seconds.

The saxo is group 5, the corsa group 3, but if you want the cheapest to insure then your better getting a 1.0 12v corsa, it's a group 1, 0-60 in 16 seconds. My first car was a 1.2 corsa trip, 0-60 in 16.8 seconds and that felt nippy enough, had it on some long journeys and it overtook cars ok, was easier with a run up though.

I was thinking of looking at a Corsa, will have to get the Corsa B though.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :1L Yaris does 0-60 in a touch over 13s. Not sure what class it's in insurance-wise, but it was €600 a year for me to insure, at 17 Get the 3 door VVTi if you're getting one, they're pretty much the quickest and most reliable 1L around

Rob, I am looking to spend about £600 to £1,000 on a car, not £3k lol. Also for it to be only 600 a year, are you on your parents insurance?
Quote from sam93 :Rob, I am looking to spend about £600 to £1,000 on a car, not £3k lol. Also for it to be only 600 a year, are you on your parents insurance?

It's the old '98-'02(?) Yaris. Like this one. Shouldn't be any more than £1,000 for a '98 one

And yes, it's on my parents insurance. I'm doing this for the first year, and next year I'm going on my own policy
If your going for a corsa B then your just aswell going for a 1 litre, most of the 1.2's are only 8v, the 1litre has 12v meaning they are actually a little faster.

They are both group 2, however the 1.0 get's 50mpg when the 1.2 only does 41, it would actually be quite pointless to go for a 1.2 when the 1litre beats it everywhere.
my first car was fiat uno 999cc. It is great car, as long i dont lift off, cost me £500 on insurance. Even that was dear in 1997.
just get the cheapest car, because you are likey to stack it, statically and learn working on it, instead taking to expenisve garage. 2 bird to kill on 1 stone.

I suggest nissan micra I know those are granny car. but they rally them, in small class. very strong car, love to rev.
Hmm, I was curious to see how much it would be if one of my parents took a policy out on a car and put me down as a main driver - I done 3 quotes.

Quote 1: BMW 316i E36
TPFT - £1,271.37
FC - £1,474.90

Quote 2: Honda Civic 1.4i (96-98)
TPFT - £1,246.52
FC - £1,446.02

Quote 3: Vauxhall Corsa B 1.2 16v
TPFT - £1,012.94
FC - £1,175.00

I think it may be worth asking one of my parents to see if they would take a policy out for me and I will obviously pay it.
Yea the 1L 12v Corsa is miles better/faster than a 1.2 8v.. My sis had a 1.2 8v and i thought it was fked until i drove another one and it was th same...

How about the new shape Micra?.. Had one a few years ago as a hire car and its easily th best handling of th small cars, Much better than the old understeer deathtrap model.... Quite stiff and sporty feeling too considering it isnt a sporty model...

Plus it will be really cheap to insure and has 70bhp in the 1L instead of the 55bhp in the Corsa 1L....
Quote from sam93 :I think it may be worth asking one of my parents to see if they would take a policy out for me and I will obviously pay it.

You should, for the first year anyway. It is of course "slightly" dodgy in the legal sense, but I've yet to see someone be done for it

Quote from Foilpact :How about the new shape Micra?.. Had one a few years ago as a hire car and its easily th best handling of th small cars, Much better than the old understeer deathtrap model.... Quite stiff and sporty feeling too considering it isnt a sporty model...

Have you not seen this TG review?
Thats the cc tho.... It fails just like every other convertible car out there... I.E. Astra, BMW M3, Magane CC....ect ect... That CC to the Micra is the same as the new Tigra is to Corsa... a 2 seater handbag version...

EDIT: The Micra CC does have rear seats... For maybe dolls and teddies...
Quote from Foilpact :How about the new shape Micra?.. Had one a few years ago as a hire car and its easily th best handling of th small cars, Much better than the old understeer deathtrap model.... Quite stiff and sporty feeling too considering it isnt a sporty model...

its also a real competitor for the ugliest car ever made
you should get a Renault "Le Car", then hook it up with nitrous, and throw some dubs on that bish!!!!

lmfao0o0ooo!!!! joking but that would be hilarious!!!! xD

for a first car, best one to buy is a cheap one to learn to drive on thats also easy to fix, and gets good mileage. Trust me, first cars always take a beating, if you buy a brand new car and something happens, it will upset you a lot more then if it was a bucket. (bucket, beater, hoopty = cheap car) Also, insurance rates are waaaaaay higher for new drivers in a brand new car, sometimes 2 to 3 times the cost then a new driver in a used car.

Once you get more seat time / experience behind the wheel, you'll have more money saved and by then most likely you'll know exactly what car you want to buy.

Quote from Pablo Donoso :you should get a Renault "Le Car", then hook it up with nitrous, and throw some dubs on that bish!!!!

lmfao0o0ooo!!!! joking but that would be hilarious!!!! xD

for a first car, best one to buy is a cheap one to learn to drive on thats also easy to fix, and gets good mileage. Trust me, first cars always take a beating, if you buy a brand new car and something happens, it will upset you a lot more then if it was a bucket. (bucket, beater, hoopty = cheap car) Also, insurance rates are waaaaaay higher for new drivers in a brand new car, sometimes 2 to 3 times the cost then a new driver in a used car.

Once you get more seat time / experience behind the wheel, you'll have more money saved and by then most likely you'll know exactly what car you want to buy.

And how am I suppose to afford a new car anyway? My first car will be a second hand car, most likely built before 2000.
Hmm, people on SSS are slowly persuading me to get an E30 316i touring, nice cars if they are satin or matt black lol. Suppose to be under estimated cars for what they are, suppose to be pretty quick.

So know I have the problem of do I go for the E30 touring or E36 coupe lol.
Or a Golf.
Nah, don't really want a Golf lol.
Your loss.
Why is it my loss then?
This thread is closed

My first car - What's your recommendations?
(544 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG