The online racing simulator
Which will make it even harder AND mess up the geometry...
Surely Bilstein suspension kit should be okay :S
A car is built with optimum road use setup in mind, since a ZR is a sporty hatch, its had a bit of fiddling to get that "racey feel"

Lowering it will just make it worse. Unless you know what you're doing. Don't do it
Plus it's already lowered from the original Rover, but with a bit more care, research and theory than any aftermarket kit.
Quote from tristancliffe :Plus it's already lowered from the original Rover, but with a bit more care, research and theory than any aftermarket kit.

Suppose. Just have to wait 6/7 months now until I can buy it.
On 5th gear a few years ago they had the ZR on and they wanted to make it into a track car, they actually called the suspension too soft and changed it, so it's not so bad that it would only be ok on a track, but the ride is quite stiff.

The car itself doesn't need lowered, any lower and you'll be planning your daily routes to avoid speedbumps which is kinda defeating the purpose of driving a car, if you can't go the way you want to.

I'd say get a polo or something, my mate has a 53 plate 1.2 polo, it's fast enough, though the low rev power was far more than my 1.4 golf...Typical VW inside, very nice finish, nice dials, A/C n all that shiz.

Depending on how you will do your insurance, whether you'll front or not, the differnce between a polo/corsa/clio to a ZR or 1.4 16v polo (Watch out for that, the standard 1.4 16v polo is group 10 because it has 100bhp, but the other models like CL etc are much lower because they only have about 70) is going to be quite a lot.

I'm dreading phoning my insurance to change to the ZR, screw paying for it as a first car.

And yea, 330BMW as a student, your havin' a laugh.
Quote from Bawbag :On 5th gear a few years ago they had the ZR on and they wanted to make it into a track car, they actually called the suspension too soft and changed it, so it's not so bad that it would only be ok on a track, but the ride is quite stiff.

The car itself doesn't need lowered, any lower and you'll be planning your daily routes to avoid speedbumps which is kinda defeating the purpose of driving a car, if you can't go the way you want to.

I'd say get a polo or something, my mate has a 53 plate 1.2 polo, it's fast enough, though the low rev power was far more than my 1.4 golf...Typical VW inside, very nice finish, nice dials, A/C n all that shiz.

Depending on how you will do your insurance, whether you'll front or not, the differnce between a polo/corsa/clio to a ZR or 1.4 16v polo (Watch out for that, the standard 1.4 16v polo is group 10 because it has 100bhp, but the other models like CL etc are much lower because they only have about 70) is going to be quite a lot.

I'm dreading phoning my insurance to change to the ZR, screw paying for it as a first car.

And yea, 330BMW as a student, your havin' a laugh.

A ZR for me to insure will be £1700 :O

I know someone though who is a student with an M3 Evo, so a 330 MAY be possible
Quote from Bawbag :
I'd say get a polo or something, my mate has a 53 plate 1.2 polo,it's fast enough, though the low rev [b]power was far more than my 1.4 golf...Typical VW inside, very nice finish, nice dials, A/C n all that shiz.

1.2 Polo is fast enough? For 70 years old grandpa maybe? Don't be silly.
sam93, you doesn't sound like one of them (by ''them'' i mean uk boys, who are driving no-engine golfs n sht)
Lowered ZR will look awesome, and i think you are 18 years old, so most of people in that age, dont care about speedbumps and comfort in their first car, just don't listen to them, do how you want and as far as i have seen your posts, you have good taste on cars.
Quote :Hmm. Been thinking about the BMW idea and I don't think it will be a good idea to get one as a first car. I'll probably have the erge to ditch the accelerator to the floor and try to get the ass end out. So I've decided to wait until I am about 18 so should then be able to afford a 318is. This means, I've decided to go with a FWD car for my first year.

And btw, i think this is wrong, you will get used to FWDlol cars. I would go for a rwd car as a first one, to learn how to drive and how to control it in extremal situations so you won't crash 1.4l FWD Proton on a straight road.
oh yeah, sorry for mistakes
Quote from sam93 :Surely Bilstein suspension kit should be okay :S

Bilstein != Designed for your particular car.
Quote from JO53PHS :Don't buy an MG ZR... the suspension is literally set in concrete. I know it's the 'sport' version, but the IMO the harshness of the ride goes beyond what I could live with on a day to day basis.

Is it just me or am prematurely becoming an old man?

You notice the ride much much less when your actually driving the car and in control.
The Mini fits into your category perfectly actually. 0-60 in 10-11 secs, depending on who you listen to. Most 1275's put out about 60-70bhp stock, very easily tuned though, especially the carb'd ones. BMW do a supercharger that you can pick up second hand for ~£400 for example, has been known to triple BHP when setup correctly in the right engine. It'll out-handle literally any other "first car", especially if you fit 10"s, and can take most in a straight line. It has been known to take the odd chav in a Corsa by surprise when going around roundabouts

Motorways aren't that much of a problem, you can get them up to 90-95mph before your ears explode, but it's going to be fairly wobbly at that. 70mph is definitely possible, and it tears away fine at about 4k. One problem is speed bumps (they have 14cm clearance as standard, nearly all are lowered through wear and tear, or purposefully), but you can fit between them so it doesn't matter Plus it pulls like there's no tomorrow. Take it into town any weekend night, and if you come home with an empty car there's something seriously wrong. And it always has reserved parking spaces where no other car can fit. Tescos trolley bays work nicely

It's like a road legal go-kart, if you're doing 40 it'll feel at least 50, which is very handy as a first car. Most people will beg you for a spin in it, everbody seems to love them. It actually has plenty of driver leg room, not so much passenger leg room though. That's a good thing though, watching tall people get in/out is always brilliant. Even more so if you fit buckets

I'll stop talking about the Mini now as I've been ranting a bit. Oh, if you get one, pack several jackets when you drive during the winter months. You'll thank me when it happens

Avoid the ZR like a house on fire though. Aside from being less comfortable than sitting on a pile of bricks, the few I've seen have been plagued by engine trouble. The lad I bought my Mini off was trying to flog a ZR, blew 3 head gaskets in the last month on him. They're far more trouble than they're worth, a nice Metro would be a far better MG.

Seriously, any car will be fine. You're not a professional racing driver, you're 17. You don't have the experience to drive a big car properly (No offense mate, trust me, I'm in the same boat). You wouldn't believe the fun I've had in a 1L Yaris, it's not all about engine size. I've had a nice few close shaves in it, that I know I wouldn't have escaped (and probably wouldn't have survived) in a bigger car. By bigger car, I mean both engine size and physical size. It's far better to get a small-ish car know, rack up the experience on the road, and then get something with a bit of poke as a second or third car. Actually, the Yaris is about the best first car I could suggest. As a 1L it puts out just under 70BHP, and 0-60 in 12.5s

OK, I'm really going now. I've just spent the last 20mins typing this on my phone
Quote from dougie-lampkin :The Mini fits into your category perfectly actually. 0-60 in 10-11 secs, depending on who you listen to. Most 1275's put out about 60-70bhp stock, very easily tuned though, especially the carb'd ones. BMW do a supercharger that you can pick up second hand for ~£400 for example, has been known to triple BHP when setup correctly in the right engine. It'll out-handle literally any other "first car", especially if you fit 10"s, and can take most in a straight line. It has been known to take the odd chav in a Corsa by surprise when going around roundabouts

Motorways aren't that much of a problem, you can get them up to 90-95mph before your ears explode, but it's going to be fairly wobbly at that. 70mph is definitely possible, and it tears away fine at about 4k. One problem is speed bumps (they have 14cm clearance as standard, nearly all are lowered through wear and tear, or purposefully), but you can fit between them so it doesn't matter Plus it pulls like there's no tomorrow. Take it into town any weekend night, and if you come home with an empty car there's something seriously wrong. And it always has reserved parking spaces where no other car can fit. Tescos trolley bays work nicely

It's like a road legal go-kart, if you're doing 40 it'll feel at least 50, which is very handy as a first car. Most people will beg you for a spin in it, everbody seems to love them. It actually has plenty of driver leg room, not so much passenger leg room though. That's a good thing though, watching tall people get in/out is always brilliant. Even more so if you fit buckets

I'll stop talking about the Mini now as I've been ranting a bit. Oh, if you get one, pack several jackets when you drive during the winter months. You'll thank me when it happens

Avoid the ZR like a house on fire though. Aside from being less comfortable than sitting on a pile of bricks, the few I've seen have been plagued by engine trouble. The lad I bought my Mini off was trying to flog a ZR, blew 3 head gaskets in the last month on him. They're far more trouble than they're worth, a nice Metro would be a far better MG.

Seriously, any car will be fine. You're not a professional racing driver, you're 17. You don't have the experience to drive a big car properly (No offense mate, trust me, I'm in the same boat). You wouldn't believe the fun I've had in a 1L Yaris, it's not all about engine size. I've had a nice few close shaves in it, that I know I wouldn't have escaped (and probably wouldn't have survived) in a bigger car. By bigger car, I mean both engine size and physical size. It's far better to get a small-ish car know, rack up the experience on the road, and then get something with a bit of poke as a second or third car. Actually, the Yaris is about the best first car I could suggest. As a 1L it puts out just under 70BHP, and 0-60 in 12.5s

OK, I'm really going now. I've just spent the last 20mins typing this on my phone

Lol. A Mini Cooper I wouldn't mind or just a simple 1.3litre, but they seem to be pretty pricey for a decent'ish one.

I think it may be the rover k series engine in the ZR (If I remember correctly) which is prone to blowing head gaskets.

It's finding a car that is going to be fun to drive, nippy (Less than 12 seconds to 60) and cheap on insurance.

I was thinking of a VTR, but it's a little bit chavvy, even if it is a first car. Although, all first cars are a little chavvy.
Even ajp71's Lada?
Quote from sam93 :A ZR for me to insure will be £1700 :O

I know someone though who is a student with an M3 Evo, so a 330 MAY be possible

Thats a joke, they want me to pay 3600 a year in a 1.3 Jetta....... Why am I singled out? Jesus this country hates me.
Quote from sam93 :Lol. A Mini Cooper I wouldn't mind or just a simple 1.3litre, but they seem to be pretty pricey for a decent'ish one.

I think it may be the rover k series engine in the ZR (If I remember correctly) which is prone to blowing head gaskets.

It's finding a car that is going to be fun to drive, nippy (Less than 12 seconds to 60) and cheap on insurance.

I was thinking of a VTR, but it's a little bit chavvy, even if it is a first car. Although, all first cars are a little chavvy.

Got my 1275 for €2k, and it's in a fairly good condition. Bit of rust around the body, but the engine is mint. They're half the price in England too Don't go for a Cooper or Clubman, you'll be raped by your insurance. Get a 1275, and give it Cooper stripes. If you want to be pedantic you can fit the extras, like the second tank and the Cooper cylinder head, but they're basically the same thing. They're cheap to insure too, and parts are for nothing.

Not so sure on the K series to be honest, A series is my speciality Yer man was a bit of a boy racer like, so it could be all his fault that it kept blowing gaskets. Just seems to be a bit of a coincidence

Problem is, fun and nippy don't go hand in hand with cheap insurance. You're going to have to make a compromise. Pay a bit more for insurance or save your money and get a better car when you're older. VTRs aren't really chavvy, just expensive to insure. Basically anything that has something extra in the name (VTR, GTI, Vtec :razz is a killer on insurance for young lads
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Got my 1275 for €2k, and it's in a fairly good condition. Bit of rust around the body, but the engine is mint. They're half the price in England too Don't go for a Cooper or Clubman, you'll be raped by your insurance. Get a 1275, and give it Cooper stripes. If you want to be pedantic you can fit the extras, like the second tank and the Cooper cylinder head, but they're basically the same thing. They're cheap to insure too, and parts are for nothing.

Not so sure on the K series to be honest, A series is my speciality Yer man was a bit of a boy racer like, so it could be all his fault that it kept blowing gaskets. Just seems to be a bit of a coincidence

Problem is, fun and nippy don't go hand in hand with cheap insurance. You're going to have to make a compromise. Pay a bit more for insurance or save your money and get a better car when you're older. VTRs aren't really chavvy, just expensive to insure. Basically anything that has something extra in the name (VTR, GTI, Vtec :razz is a killer on insurance for young lads

So my list is growing lol:
1275 Mini
1.4 ZR
1.4/6 Corsa
VTR Saxo
Golf Mk2 (it's a slug though, well the 1.6 is)
Polo
Clio

That's really it. See how the money is around January depends on what I get. If I get this new job I've applied for, I will be on around £6-£8 an hour - Orange call centre lol, so money should be pretty good.
Quote from sam93 :So my list is growing lol:
1275 Mini
1.4 ZR
1.4/6 Corsa
VTR Saxo
Golf Mk2 (it's a slug though, well the 1.6 is)
Polo
Clio

That's really it. See how the money is around January depends on what I get. If I get this new job I've applied for, I will be on around £6-£8 an hour - Orange call centre lol, so money should be pretty good.

Mk2 Golf isn't a slug. You're thinking of the Mk3 and Mk4, THEY are slugs.
Don't listen to Tristan regarding aftermarket suspension, he hasn't got a clue. Cars out of the factory are designed to be the best they can be within a strict budget, so often what we get isn't necessarily what the engineers wanted us to have.

However, if you modify or buy a modified car then you will get absolutely shafted on insurance so best to avoid it and buy something that does it for you as is.

What about a mk1 MX-5 or a mk2 MR2? I've heard of a few people having them as first cars. They would be pretty good to develop your driving in too as they're completely bereft of nannying computer systems.
Quote from durbster :Don't listen to Tristan regarding aftermarket suspension, he hasn't got a clue. Cars out of the factory are designed to be the best they can be within a strict budget, so often what we get isn't necessarily what the engineers wanted us to have.

However, if you modify or buy a modified car then you will get absolutely shafted on insurance so best to avoid it and buy something that does it for you as is.

What about a mk1 MX-5 or a mk2 MR2? I've heard of a few people having them as first cars. They would be pretty good to develop your driving in too as they're completely bereft of nannying computer systems.

An MX5/MR2 as a first car. The only people who have those as firsts cars are the people whos mummy and daddy pay for their insurance.
I don't see why - the MX-5 is the same insurance group as a ZR.
Hmm, £1700 a yr. Still wouldn't get one. For a soft top, you really need a garage as they all bloody leak.
Quote from sam93 :Hmm, £1700 a yr. Still wouldn't get one. For a soft top, you really need a garage as they all bloody leak.

MX-5s don't leak I can assure you
Quote from sam93 :Hmm, £1700 a yr. Still wouldn't get one. For a soft top, you really need a garage as they all bloody leak.

What? Providing everything is in check, they will be fine. Just done take them through a carwash.

If i was looking for a first car again, i would definetely choose an MX5 over a ZR. A ZR/25 is a nice enough first car, and they handle ok, but an MX5 would knock spots of it, and they handle very well.

Get an MX5!

Unless you wanna dog on regular occasions with a lady freind. Then you would need the ZR...
Quote from richukss :1.2 Polo is fast enough? For 70 years old grandpa maybe? Don't be silly.

Silly? Don't be so ignorant, 1.2 with 70bhp is pretty damn good, the only better ones are the corsa 1.2s which do 75 and 80bhp.

For a first car, a damn 1.0 corsa is fast enough, nevermind MX5's, BMW's and ZR's.

Sam, you know a student with an M3, then later you say that MX5's are for people who's mummys and daddys buy them everything...? Ever thought that was the case with Mr M3?
How about a Jeep grand cherokee 5.2 V8 as my first car? I can buy one for 1750 euro's and everything works.
Only disadvantage is how much petrol the thing consumes :P, but I can't see any more disadvantages. It makes a sick noise, its fast, its REALLY comfortable.

Anyone have any advice or a reality check?
This thread is closed

My first car - What's your recommendations?
(544 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG