The online racing simulator
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :But do you still see my point though? Prices are going to change by that time, so its poitless dreaming about what car you wanna buy and mods you want to do when your not even close to getting it yet.

I know prices will change lol, I didn't come off of the banana boat yesterday.
Quote from sam93 :Chipping a TD doesn't make the fuel economy worse, on my Dads it seems to have made it better, can do like 700miles on a tank, we went from Scotland to Plymouth on 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

It's very, very rare that it doesn't though.
Quote from sam93 :All tuning shortens engine life though.

Wrong
Quote from sam93 :Diesels I think are catching up with Petrols performance wise. Diesels are good for torque though

They're catching up a bit, but there is only so much you can with such a rubbish concept. Of course, you can cheat by adding a turbocharger, but then if you cheated and added a turbocharger to a petrol engine it would be better too. If you compare apples with oranges you can make outrageous claims!
This thread rocks.

My 1.4 produces 75bhp, which is about average for a 16v 1.4, but you get all these other cars like MG/rover 1.4 16v's producing 100bhp, which is why they're allways in garages having new head gaskets fitted.

If you do happen to find a way to push 20bhp out of your 1.6, (Which is going to have what, 100k miles on it?) then your gunna encounted the same problems.

Cars are made as fast/slow as they are for a reason, that reason isn't to give 17 year old wet dreams before they pass their test.

As for the audi getting better MPG, work out how many miles to the gallon it gets in comparison to what it should get (Check parkers) because you might find someone without a clue has allready tried to remap it with a VAGcom and done it wrong.
Quote from Bawbag :As for the audi getting better MPG, work out how many miles to the gallon it gets in comparison to what it should get (Check parkers) because you might find someone without a clue has allready tried to remap it with a VAGcom and done it wrong.

A VAGcom hasn't touched it for tuning. It's a tuning box that plugs into the ECU and stays plugged in, if you unplug it, the car is no longer chipped.

It is very good on fuel, like most Audi's are including the A8 W12 which Jeremy Clarkson I think got something like 800miles out of the tank.
Quote from sam93 :A VAGcom hasn't touched it for tuning. It's a tuning box that plugs into the ECU and stays plugged in, if you unplug it, the car is no longer chipped.

It is very good on fuel, like most Audi's are including the A8 W12 which Jeremy Clarkson I think got something like 800miles out of the tank.

I know what it is, but what i'm saying is, remapping the car can be done by plugging the VAGcom in and changing values, perhaps someone without a clue has tried this. I'm not really sure but i'm guessing that you either get the car re-mapped, or plug in an ECU chip, as they both achieve the same thing from the engine?

If not, ignore this.
Quote from sam93 :A VAGcom hasn't touched it for tuning. It's a tuning box that plugs into the ECU and stays plugged in, if you unplug it, the car is no longer chipped.

My MX-5 can go 1,000,000 miles on a tank. Or it would if I fitted a bigger tank. See why your comment about range equating economy is silly?
Quote from Bawbag :I know what it is, but what i'm saying is, remapping the car can be done by plugging the VAGcom in and changing values, perhaps someone without a clue has tried this. I'm not really sure but i'm guessing that you either get the car re-mapped, or plug in an ECU chip, as they both achieve the same thing from the engine?

If not, ignore this.

The ECU hasn't been touched to remap it in the past.
It has a box like this: http://www.ptronic.com/ptronic/images/boitiers/7.jpg
A box with two leads running out of it.

Quote from tristancliffe :My MX-5 can go 1,000,000 miles on a tank. Or it would if I fitted a bigger tank. See why your comment about range equating economy is silly?

I can see your point, yes. The Audi A4 we have has a 62L tank.
Well 700 miles using 57 litres of fuel (Generally the red light will have about a gallon or so in the tank) gives 55mpg, which is good.

On parkers at 110bhp 95-02 A4 says 53mpg, and this is usually a general mpg, not long journey stuff, so i'd say your getting what you should be out of it.

I had 47mpg on my last £20 of fuel, because it was all long journey stuff, but generally it's about 38, which is good considering I do lots of short journeys. (Parkers has mine at 41)
Hmm, just thought of two other cars, just done a quote on both and are £1,900 a yr to insure, these 2 cars are a Audi A3 1.9TDI or a Audi A4 1.9 TDI.

What do you guys think about those two options.

Yes, I know prices are going to change, but if I get ideas months before hand, at least I know what choices I have when I go to get my first car
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :There expensive cars to buy. If you have the money to do it, then fine. Otherwise, i would just buy a cheap banger like a fiesta 1.1 as your going to be bumping into things from time to time.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1086760.htm - Cheapest A3 1.9 TDi i found on PH.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/993130.htm - Cheapest A4 1.9 TDi i found on PH. Cheap, but looks like a shed.

I can buy an Audi that needs work doing to the engine, by Dad knows diesel engines like the back of his hand as the saying goes as he is self taugh diesel fitter. Plus he knows the 1.9 TDI A3/A4 engines well as he started to fix them and sell them on

hmm, how does the A4 look like a shed to you? The rubstrips on the bottom of the doors look to have taken a beating, but thats why they are there - to protect the doors. That spoiler would have to go though :L

I forgot about the A3s price tag lol, A4 is the best bet out of the two I think.

The A4 I looked at, was the white A4 just down from the one you linked to, all I could see wrong with the white one was that the bumper needed sorting out, look as if it had filler on both sides :S
What would you guys go for out of a BMW E36 316i coupe and a Audi A4 1.9 TDI?
Why are you even thinking about getting a 1.9 TDI Audi as your first car? How do you think you're even going to afford it, with tax, insurance, petrol, tyres and the regular panel-beating you'll need? If you did want something with a bit of poke, get a nice clean (on second thoughts, good luck with that :razz 1.3 turbo Glanza. They're a complete ricemobile, but at least you can learn to drive in it. A big turbo diesel is not at all suitable to learn to drive for the first time. Believe me, I learnt 6 months ago with a 1 litre (68 BHP, quick for a 1 litre though ) and it was perfect.

There's a reason why only rich, spoiled kids get to drive big cars. Because they cost so much. Remeber, only cocks drive Audis anyway
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Why are you even thinking about getting a 1.9 TDI Audi as your first car? How do you think you're even going to afford it, with tax, insurance, petrol, tyres and the regular panel-beating you'll need? If you did want something with a bit of poke, get a nice clean (on second thoughts, good luck with that :razz 1.3 turbo Glanza. They're a complete ricemobile, but at least you can learn to drive in it. A big turbo diesel is not at all suitable to learn to drive for the first time. Believe me, I learnt 6 months ago with a 1 litre (68 BHP, quick for a 1 litre though ) and it was perfect.

There's a reason why only rich, spoiled kids get to drive big cars. Because they cost so much. Remeber, only cocks drive Audis anyway

Diesles are actually easier to learn in, they can practicly go in first gear without any throttle.... My big brother learned in a very old audi 80 diesle with over 200k on the clock, was the easiest thing in the world to drive.

316 or 1.9tdi A3, is that a test? A3 all the way, though the prices of them start rather high, if your looking for something like an A3, look at seat leons or ibizas, practicly the same car but cheaper.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Why are you even thinking about getting a 1.9 TDI Audi as your first car? How do you think you're even going to afford it, with tax, insurance, diesel, tyres and the regular panel-beating you'll need? If you did want something with a bit of poke, get a nice clean (on second thoughts, good luck with that :razz 1.3 turbo Glanza. They're a complete ricemobile, but at least you can learn to drive in it. A big turbo diesel is not at all suitable to learn to drive for the first time. Believe me, I learnt 6 months ago with a 1 litre (68 BHP, quick for a 1 litre though ) and it was perfect.

There's a reason why only rich, spoiled kids get to drive big cars. Because they cost so much. Remeber, only cocks drive BMW anyway

Fixed.

Hmm, I suppose. I just want something different. I am very tempted by a 1.4 Civic (EK) though.
Quote from Bawbag :Diesles are actually easier to learn in, they can practicly go in first gear without any throttle.... My big brother learned in a very old audi 80 diesle with over 200k on the clock, was the easiest thing in the world to drive.

That's going to make matters far worse when he realises that petrols are far better and tries taking off at the lights

If you just want a shedload of power, get a Hilux. Ours can physically throw you into the seat if you put the boot down in 3rd from as low as 1000RPM, even going uphill. It could take off in 4th if you wanted to, with just a touch of throttle. They're RWD for some dorito action, AWD for off-road action and there's plenty of rear space for all of your audio equipment and chinese deliveries. They're also dirt cheap to tax and insure as a commercial, and there's no rear windows to have to board up for that either. We have ours registered as a farm vehicle (same as commercial as far as I know) and it's ~€100 per person on the insurance, regardless of license/age, and something like €60 to tax it for the year.

Plus, they'll murder any of your Audis in a straight line race. Ours is 3L turbo'd and intercooled, putting out about 140BHP with 350lb/ft of torque according to the manual If you drive it sensibly (you won't though, you'll find yourself redlining to squeeze out every drop of torque :shy you can get up to 30mpg according to some people too

Something to think about anyway, only problem is price. Ours is '06, no idea about the earlier mark

E:
Quote from sam93 :Fixed.

If I was to go for a first car it would be a diesel, granted it's more costly than petrol (though where I am petrol and diesel are the same), but it's better to drive (personally) and cheaper on the insurance.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :That's going to make matters far worse when he realises that petrols are far better and tries taking off at the lights

If you just want a shedload of power, get a Hilux. Ours can physically throw you into the seat if you put the boot down in 3rd from as low as 1000RPM, even going uphill. It could take off in 4th if you wanted to, with just a touch of throttle. They're RWD for some dorito action, AWD for off-road action and there's plenty of rear space for all of your audio equipment and chinese deliveries. They're also dirt cheap to tax and insure as a commercial, and there's no rear windows to have to board up for that either. We have ours registered as a farm vehicle (same as commercial as far as I know) and it's ~€100 per person on the insurance, regardless of license/age, and something like €60 to tax it for the year.

Plus, they'll murder any of your Audis in a straight line race. Ours is 3L turbo'd and intercooled, putting out about 140BHP with 350lb/ft of torque according to the manual If you drive it sensibly (you won't though, you'll find yourself redlining to squeeze out every drop of torque :shy you can get up to 30mpg according to some people too

Something to think about anyway, only problem is price. Ours is '06, no idea about the earlier mark

E:

Older ones are just as awesome! A friend of mine borrowed one to go onto Mull last year from his grandad, took some mad videos of him drifting it around the single track roads, they rolled another one too, pulled into what seemed like a massive grass verge to let a car go past and it just sank into the ground and topped over, was totally fine though.
Well my 1998 R plate rover 200 1.6 16v will be up for sale quite soon.

Its MOTd until march 2010 and has zr180 brakes, a full competition exhaust system, induction kit, and the head gasket, inlet gasket and timing gear was all replaced last summer, plus it will come with the stereo as well, sony cd player and 6x9s in the front doors, plus an alpine 10" sub if you want it (but no amp, as it went bang), and little pioneers in the back shelves.

It will have alloys on it, but they will be 14" BBS multispokes, as im keeping my 15" 5 spokes for the MX-5

I was gonna put it up for about £800 or so, but for a fellow LFSer, i would take £600 for it.

It wont be quite yet, as my mate first needs to get his new car so i can buy his old one, but if your interested then let me know sam.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Well my 1998 R plate rover 200 1.6 16v will be up for sale quite soon.

Its MOTd until march 2010 and has zr180 brakes, a full competition exhaust system, induction kit, and the head gasket, inlet gasket and timing gear was all replaced last summer, plus it will come with the stereo as well, sony cd player and 6x9s in the front doors, plus an alpine 10" sub if you want it (but no amp, as it went bang), and little pioneers in the back shelves.

It will have alloys on it, but they will be 14" BBS multispokes, as im keeping my 15" 5 spokes for the MX-5

I was gonna put it up for about £800 or so, but for a fellow LFSer, i would take £600 for it.

It wont be quite yet, as my mate first needs to get his new car so i can buy his old one, but if your interested then let me know sam.

No offence Dan, but it's a Rover and I don't like them lol.
Well, if you find a rover which has a replaced head gasket then your in luck tbh, it's performance pisses over the 316 anyway..

I'm close to taking a green 214 16v, only because moneys so tight atm, but still, i'm at the stage where I don't care what I drive, i'd rather have money in my pocket.
Quote from Bawbag :Well, if you find a rover which has a replaced head gasket then your in luck tbh, it's performance pisses over the 316 anyway..

I'm close to taking a green 214 16v, only because moneys so tight atm, but still, i'm at the stage where I don't care what I drive, i'd rather have money in my pocket.

I have never liked rovers and never will lol.

Dan - I suppose it's the hatchback and not the coupe?
I quite like rovers. Dont kill me!

The 1.4's are quite powerful for such a small engine, with the only problem being the headgaskets that they EAT. One of my brothers freind's has a tomcat turbo with about 380hp. That car is absolutely brutal!
This thread is closed

My first car - What's your recommendations?
(544 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG