The online racing simulator
i haven't yet, but maybe you should try the corvette c6 mod (http://www.rfactorcentral.com/ ... Chevrolet%20Corvette%20C6)
a lot of users are pleased, especially with the physics.

but maybe you have enough to race with the historic gt mod .

I am also iracing subscriber and i agree that the physics and ffb are better there. i just think that it's too harsh to call all rfactors mods "crap". the multiplayer part of most racers beside lfs or the sound of the lfs engines deserve that word though.

p.s.:
about gpl-cars. point taken, but those tyres are really something different to the slicks in historic gt
Quote from Fetzo :I am also iracing subscriber and i agree that the physics and ffb are better there. i just think that it's too harsh to call all rfactors mods "crap".

It may sound harsh, but in comparison to iRacing and nKPro they are crap unfortunately.

The one area i will agree that rFactor excels is sound though. The "good" mods have the best sounds of any sims. But I'll take an involving driving model over sounds any day.

EDIt:- yeah, i tried the Corvette mod a while ago, and i should have added it to my very short list of good mods for rFactor. Sorry Niels (Still feels wrong though )
Quote :FFB Device Type="1" // Type of FFB controller: 0=none 1=wheel, 2=stick/custom, 3=rumble pad.
FFB Effects Level="1" // Number of FFB effects to use: 0=No Effects, 1=Low, 2=Medium, 3=High, 4=Full, 5=Custom.
FFB Gain="0.77931" // Strength of Force Feedback effects. Range 0.0 to 1.0.
FFB Ignore Controllers="0" // Do not use FFB on: 1=controller1, 2=controller2, 4=controller3 (or add values to ignore multiple controllers)
FFB Throttle FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.
FFB Brake FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
FFB steer vibe freq mult="0.00000" // Controls frequency of steering vibration. Recommended: 0.5 to 1.0, 0.0 disables steering vibration.
FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.00000" // Magnitude of steering vibration at 0mph (reference point).
FFB steer vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB steer vibe zero magnitude).
FFB steer vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB steer force prediction="0.00000" // Time into the future that force is predicted, to help counteract wheel latency (0.0 to disable)
FFB steer force max change="100.00000" // Maximum change per second based on current difference between calculated and applied force, to help avoid jerky behavior (values under 15 or so should reduce jerkiness, 100 disables)
FFB steer force neutral range="0.00000" // Max distance from center "neutral force" location where forces are reduced to help avoid oscillation (0.0 to disable)
FFB steer force neutral function="0.00000" // Function to apply near neutral force location, in order to tune out FFB "deadzone" but keeping oscillations in check: 0.0=original, 1.0=new
FFB steer force exponent="2.00000" // Steering force output "sensitivity". Range 0.0 to infinity. 0.0 to 1.0 = higher sensitivity, greater than 1.0 = lower sensitivity.
FFB steer force input max="-11500.00000" // Default 11500, increase to give more fidelity to the FFB
FFB steer force output max="1.40000" // Maximum force output of steering force, recommendation 0.8 to 2.0
FFB steer force grip function="0.75000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0 (previous hardcoded value was 1.0) - lower values will make steering force decrease LATER as front tire grip is lost - try 0.3
FFB steer force grip weight="0.31144" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.4 to 0.9. How much weight is given to tire grip when calculating steering force.
FFB steer force grip factor="1.00000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.2 to 0.6 (previously hardcoded to 0.4). How much of a factor the front wheel grip is on the steering weight.
FFB steer front grip fract="0.00000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0 (previous hardcoded value was 0.0), additional effect of front grip loss on steering force
FFB steer update threshold="0.00000" // Amount of change required to update steer force/vibe (0.0 - 1.0). Lower values = steering force updated more frequently = lower frame rate.
FFB steer friction coefficient="-0.10000" // Coefficient to use for steering friction. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
FFB steer friction saturation="1.00000" // Saturation value to use for steering friction. Range: 0 - 1.0
FFB steer damper coefficient="0.43448" // Coefficient to use for steering damper. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
FFB steer damper saturation="0.00000" // Saturation value to use for steering damper. Range: 0 - 1.0
FFB throttle vibe freq mult="0.17000" // Scales actual engine frequency to force FFB vibration frequency. Suggested range: 0.10 to 0.50
FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude="0.08000" // Magnitude of engine vibration at 0rpm (reference point).
FFB throttle vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude).
FFB throttle vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB throttle vibe update thresh="0.00000" // Amount of change required to update throttle vibe (0.0 - 1.0)
FFB brake vibe freq mult="0.90000" // Scales actual brake rotational frequency to force feedback vibration frequency.
FFB brake vibe zero magnitude="0.11000" // Magnitude of brake vibration at 0mph (reference point).
FFB brake vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB brake vibe zero magnitude).
FFB brake vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB brake vibe update thresh="0.00000" // Amount of change required to update brake vibe (0.0 to 1.0)
FFB rumble strip magnitude="0.35000" // How strong the rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
FFB rumble strip freq mult="0.65000" // Rumble stip frequency multiplier 1.0 = one rumble per wheel rev.
FFB rumble strip wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB rumble strip pull factor="-0.75000" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
FFB rumble strip update thresh="0.05000" // Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)
FFB jolt magnitude="0.08966" // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.

My controller.ini file for FFB in rF works for me pretty well.

-maz
Well, thanks to a combination of tips here and general fiddling about I've got the HistoriX mod feeling as good as i think I'll get it , and it's a blast.

The only thing I've got a problem with is not feeling the car locking up under braking, but apart from that I'm very impressed, and i never thought i'd say that about anything to do with rFactor.

One thing, if anyone can help me. Is there any way to override the maximum distance you can move your seat forward? I feel it's still too far back.
It's all about using a good controller and setting it up correctly. After that, both GTR2 and/or rFactor (with an appropriate mod) are equally capable of any other top sim to provide extreme siming pleasure to a simer.

All sims have their pros & cons, it's more about how open minded you are and how much time you are willing to spend in order to enjoy them in their full potential.
Quote from The Moose :

One thing, if anyone can help me. Is there any way to override the maximum distance you can move your seat forward? I feel it's still too far back.

pull your monitor toward you
Quote from StableX :pull your monitor toward you

There are a couple of settings in a file somewhere in the vehicles folder I think, but I don't remember any more details now.
#308 - STF
Settings, display, vertical fov.
-
(Grigg94) DELETED by Grigg94
Quote from The Moose :Well, thanks to a combination of tips here and general fiddling about I've got the HistoriX mod feeling as good as i think I'll get it , and it's a blast.

The only thing I've got a problem with is not feeling the car locking up under braking, but apart from that I'm very impressed, and i never thought i'd say that about anything to do with rFactor.

It's nice to hear you actually went to the trouble of sorting rfactor settings out to give it a real chance. I gave it a chance out of boredom and got stuck in with tweaking all the settings and I was bloody impressed. Impressed enough to put up with the nickname "rfactor boy" from the rest of the RSR bunch!

Aslong as you download mods that have had a lot of time and work put into them such as the HistorX mod, you can get a very immersive experience out of it!
My main annoyance with rFactor multiplayer is the multiude of mod versions that have to be up to date before actually getting into a game. Once you connect, then shortly after the host is not on the list anymore. It all starts again
Quote from SilverArrows77 :
[snip]
In the case of rFactor, look in each cars folder and look for a .cam file which then may be opened with a text editor. Inside you will find it split into sections for each camera view, cockpit, bumper, swingman etc and has values which you may adjust for each.

Example
[snip]

Also in the main vehicles folder there is a default.cam and i cant recall if this overrides some views, if you edit a specific cars cams and it doesnt show, try editng this file instead, though be sure to back it up first incase you lose the original views.

[snip]

And although I don't remember which ones, some of those changes give online mismatches. So backing up the original files is always a good idea.
Cheers for the tips SilverArrows77
One must-to-be-set value in rfactor's controller.ini file is the following:

Quote :FFB steer force grip weight="0.00000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.4 to 0.9. How much weight is given to tire grip when calculating steering force.

What it does is to tell rfactor that you do NOT want the rear wheels' grip transfered onto your steering wheel through FFB.

Also try...
Quote :FFB steer force grip function="0.30000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0 (previous hardcoded value was 1.0) - lower values will make steering force decrease LATER as front tire grip is lost - try 0.3

It delays the effect of lightening the steering wheel when front grip is lost.
I think that while rFactor and LFS are still being worked on by developers, it's hard to say which one is better until all work on the programs are done.

We can only judge by which one has the bigger lead right now. I've played both rFactor and LFS for quite some time now. LFS has the advantage over physics and car handling in terms of realism. rFactor has LFS in that the tracks and environments are much more realistic.

Personally, I really don't see why so many people say that rFactor sucks. It's a totally different game. Stop being LFS fanboys and go race.
Quote from ToxicKlay :I think that while rFactor and LFS are still being worked on by developers, it's hard to say which one is better until all work on the programs are done.
[snip]

Actually rfactor's development stopped more than a year ago (even longer I think). They have already announced rfactor2, expected in some 6 months or so from today.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpCoChit2ak HistorX will be back this year with improved everything. I might make some more LFSers buy rFactor.. You can only imagine what will happen with rFactor 2.0, lets hope LFS gets some more improvements before that happens and the world will be a happier place.

Do the rFactor devs pay you for that?
The discussion about setting up rF reminded me of that post of Shotglass saying Linux is a hobby because to get it to work correctly takes entirely too much time.

I'd say setting up FFB in rF is a hobby itself I have enough already to learn about driving and setups without having to cope with dozens FFB settings, and the increased complications of having to tell whether is the set, my driving or the FFB settings that need addressing.

Up to a point I was in a mood to try rF out, but that part really killed my interest off - Maybe if one has extensive knowledge of the car and track he's going to drive... maybe...
I have the fortune to design my own cars. Setting the FFB for rFactor really isn't more than changing one number for each car, taking literally 1 minute to do. I really don't see what the fuss is about. If a mod doesn't work well with realfeel, its not worth playing. If it works with realfeel, there is only the maximum force to set, ideally with no damping or smoothing. I dislike Linux too

Still it seems many users have a sort of common problem with rFactor, even with the better mods. It'll be interesting to see if anything changes with rFactor 2..
Is there a good website that describes all of the *good* rfactor mods and how to get started? I checked out rfactor central a few times and it's pretty confusing since there's so much content available.
Quote from Technique :Is there a good website that describes all of the *good* rfactor mods and how to get started? I checked out rfactor central a few times and it's pretty confusing since there's so much content available.

I'm not saying this in any sort of rFactor hater style, but really the only mods that are good are HistoriX, The Caterhams and the Corvette.

Then again if you've never played iRacing or nKPro you may be a little more forgiving about what you call good mods

The HistoriX mod is just beautiful to drive.

Dead Men Racing are running a HistoriX server most evenings now, and we're having a ball with it. It is private though so anyone wanting to join in the fun should sign up at the DMR forums for the password.

There's a list of the tracks we are using (more will be added as we go) and a place to download them (so we don't get any of the endless mismatch problems) in the fourm.

The link to the forums is in my sig.
Come along and enjoy some clean,fair and fun racing with us.
The more the merrier!

EDIT:- You need a copy of GT legends to install the HistoriX mod as it used Simbins car models. It doesn't install GTL or starforce, it just checks that you have a valid copy, that's all. GTL can be picked up for next to nothing these days.
Quote from The Moose :
EDIT:- You need a copy of GT legends to install the HistoriX mod as it used Simbins car models. It doesn't install GTL or starforce, it just checks that you have a valid copy, that's all. GTL can be picked up for next to nothing these days.

Can you yar-har-diddly-dee GTL and have it work?
Quote from FlyingSam :Do the rFactor devs pay you for that?

Look at his avatar, you will understand it
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Can you yar-har-diddly-dee GTL and have it work?

No idea. Considering you can pick it up for a fiver in your local bargain bin i don't see the point.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Can you yar-har-diddly-dee GTL and have it work?

I feel like i deserve a cookie for understanding that. haha

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG