The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Got my free 1 month Radical iRacing trial email through, will sign up tonight and give it a go.

If I feel it's worth the money I will sign up afterward's
Quote from Linsen :It's definitely the centre line of your car over the edge of the racing surface (or raceable surface to be more precise). Every single time I thought the system had done me wrong and I looked at the replay afterwards, I had to admit that the 1x was in fact deserved.

agreed i'm always finding i can push further over the kerbs than i naturally do and still not get an incident point. a good example is the first right hander in the maggots / becketts complex this week in the mazda series
Quote from mclarenmatt :Got my free 1 month Radical iRacing trial email through, will sign up tonight and give it a go.

If I feel it's worth the money I will sign up afterward's

Just to answer couple questions you will have:
-You can only compete in Solstice and Legends as a fresh rookie until you reach 4.0 Safety rating. You can select serie to compete in from Series page, Select the one you want and click Sessions to see the schedule and pick event you want to join.
-Rookie series are full of rookies, so keep that in mind and just staying out of trouble is enough for good finish.
-Radical you can only drive in offline practise mode since it is B class car. You can do that by switching to Test tab on upper-right section of the webpage. On default setup car feels quite understeery mainly due to large wing adjustments.
Quote from Crommi :Just to answer couple questions you will have:
-You can only compete in Solstice and Legends as a fresh rookie until you reach 4.0 Safety rating. You can select serie to compete in from Series page, Select the one you want and click Sessions to see the schedule and pick event you want to join.
-Rookie series are full of rookies, so keep that in mind and just staying out of trouble is enough for good finish.
-Radical you can only drive in offline practise mode since it is B class car. You can do that by switching to Test tab on upper-right section of the webpage. On default setup car feels quite understeery mainly due to large wing adjustments.

Cheers Mate

Only thing I hate so far is the fact that you still get car contact (X4) when someone spin's in front of you and you cannot avoid them or someone ram's you up the arse!
Quote from Crommi :-You can only compete in Solstice and Legends as a fresh rookie until you reach 4.0 Safety rating. You can select serie to compete in from Series page, Select the one you want and click Sessions to see the schedule and pick event you want to join.

What are you talking about? I've raced in the Rookie Solstice Series when I already got D and I've even seen A-class driver in there...
is this Really as bad and boring as it looks ?
I can only speak for myself, but I find it good fun... The sim part is really good apart from minor flaws and weird things... The only question everyone should be asking himself is if it's good enough to pay roughly $100 every year, additional car- and track-purchases not included, and the Radical promo is the best way to find out...
Quote from bbman :What are you talking about? I've raced in the Rookie Solstice Series when I already got D and I've even seen A-class driver in there...

What I meant was, new driver cannot enter other than Rookie series until he meets the SR requirements for Adv. Rookie or class D series.
Seriously nice deal to get the radical, legend and Solstice on a freebie to try for a month
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Was out helping my mom with her shoppiung since she broke her foot, only to find that when I got home and started up teh internets that I missed the start of the last race by 20 seconds.:banghead:

Wish I could just join the warm up session.
Quote from Crommi :What I meant was, new driver cannot enter other than Rookie series until he meets the SR requirements for Adv. Rookie or class D series.

It took me about 3 or 4 races until I was past rookie, it was really easy.
Im a casual racer can i play this game? Im guessing in a season you dont race with just the same people but there are different races you can join at different times? I really dont understand how iracing works
Quote from Tweaker :It took me about 3 or 4 races until I was past rookie, it was really easy.

Rookie seasons are 4 weeks long and licence promotions only take place once season ends, so technically you can get promoted quick if you join late in the season and quickly gain enough SR to not miss your promotion. Standard season lenght is 12 weeks however.

Quote :Im a casual racer can i play this game? Im guessing in a season you dont race with just the same people but there are different races you can join at different times? I really dont understand how iracing works

Some guys run only one race per week, some run a lot more. They're still equally able to compete for championship since it's the weekly average that counts. After 12th week, your points from best eight weeks are count towards final standings, so least amount of racing you need to do is just 8 races on separate weeks during 3 months long season.

Races are running all the time on fixed schedule, for an example Silverado races start every two hours and it doesn't matter which one you join. Check the following link to see how races are scheduled to get better idea: http://www.sportscores.de/iracing/
Quote from StableX :Seriously nice deal to get the radical, legend and Solstice on a freebie to try for a month

And you can keep the Radical and Silverstone if you continues with iRacing. Thats worth about 35$
Quote from richard dk :And you can keep the Radical and Silverstone if you continues with iRacing. Thats worth about 35$

I've become a Mazda addict!!!! I find the radical has incredible understeer... yeah, i think it's really great iRacing is starting to come round to these freeby month's.
Radical's understeer can be cured, but I think there's something going on with front suspension that isn't quite right. I haven't driven it in a long time but it seems that people are still having major problems getting setups dialed in and sounds like DP is actually much easier car to drive.
Quote from Crommi :Radical's understeer can be cured, but I think there's something going on with front suspension that isn't quite right. I haven't driven it in a long time but it seems that people are still having major problems getting setups dialed in and sounds like DP is actually much easier car to drive.

I was just watching this video on the Radical at Laguna.... seemed to sort out the understeer there. Great place to view the "how to"

http://orionraceteam.com/video/show_video/211/26
DP (IMO) feels almost too easy to drive. It handles so good. I don't know, maybe it's me/setups.

The radical is like the FO8 in LFS, and the DP is like the FOX. Just the DP is faster than the Radical . Anyone else feel like the radical is the harder/more fun car to drive?

Oh, and both cars can be cured of their understeer really easily after a few setup changes.
Quote from PMD9409 :DP (IMO) feels almost too easy to drive. It handles so good. I don't know, maybe it's me/setups.

The radical is like the FO8 in LFS, and the DP is like the FOX. Just the DP is faster than the Radical . Anyone else feel like the radical is the harder/more fun car to drive?

Oh, and both cars can be cured of their understeer really easily after a few setup changes.

Have you tried the Legend Road series PMD? Bloody good fun.
Quote from UncleBenny :But in real life if you put a wheel off and lose it, you could hit a wall and end up paying thousands of dollars to fix your broken race car. I think iRacing is just trying to make some kind of consequence for over aggressive driving.

I wasn't referring to spinning out of control into a wall, simply the times where you use the width of the track, & the kerb slightly more than the system allows. I was never out of control, just pushing the car to its limits. I have no replays to prove these pathetic 1x incidents as I dont know how to save them.

A 2x incident on the other hand is something different entirely & a deserved punishment for loosing control of the car.
Quote from anttt69 :I wasn't referring to spinning out of control into a wall, simply the times where you use the width of the track, & the kerb slightly more than the system allows. I was never out of control, just pushing the car to its limits. I have no replays to prove these pathetic 1x incidents as I dont know how to save them.

A 2x incident on the other hand is something different entirely & a deserved punishment for loosing control of the car.

Yeah I know, but my point was that in a real life race putting a wheel off can have much worse consequences than in sim racing. I agree that the 1x seems like overkill if you get right back on the track with no incident, but if there was no penalty for it then no one would worry about going off the track pushing the car too hard. I think their strictness with the 1x forces you to drive a little bit more like you would have to in real life.
Quote from UncleBenny :Yeah I know, but my point was that in a real life race putting a wheel off can have much worse consequences than in sim racing. I agree that the 1x seems like overkill if you get right back on the track with no incident, but if there was no penalty for it then no one would worry about going off the track pushing the car too hard. I think their strictness with the 1x forces you to drive a little bit more like you would have to in real life.

yeah, I know where you're coming from. One example would be on Laguna Seca where you come round the last left hander and on to the straight. YOu are perfectly in control but your right tyres are on the far green tarmac and you get an incident point! Bloody annoying.

However, someone said to me, why worry about it. It's based on averages and if you carry on the race and do a certain number of clean laps after that, the incident point becomes superfluous to SR due to the clean laps!
Quote from Crommi :Why not Impala Road series, it's anything but boring on Lime Rock Park for instance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKkId-3WYJg

Hahaha.... thats awesome mate what do you use to compress your video down but keep HD resolution?

I just love the legend on road and almost all from iracing can race it... loads of fun
First I record it with fraps full resolution (1280x1024), then do what I need to do in Premiere and export it as Uncompressed avi which I open up in Virtualdub to crop it into Youtube widescreen format and use FFDShow (still within Virtualdub) to compress it using h.264 compression with 2000 bitrate.

You could probably use little higher bitrate too but since Youtube does recompression anyways to roughly ~2k, there won't be major difference in quality to make it worth having much larger filesize that takes even longer to upload.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG