The online racing simulator
Quote from DuleXY :1. create some variable for specific server so it uses maxtime from best time on server not wr. problem is with cars that use some restriction

I mention this problem in one of the previous posts - with high restrictions you cannot e.g. enter server statistics, because the required time is (under default Airio settings) impossible to make.

To solve this I've added into 2.1.2 a new configuration item. When you specify there a handicap (car or track/car combo), you may also specify in percents how much slower could that car be.

Example: If you set UFR to always have intake restriction of 25 percent, you may also specify that the minimum required time should be raised by 10 percent.

I plan to add some more things into 2.1.2, test it and release. I'll need a few days for that.

Quote from DuleXY :and is it possible to put restriction for specific server not for just a car or track.. example... UFR intake restriction for server 11... on other servers he can run at full speed...

Right, I see what you mean. Unfortunately this is not currently possible (unless you run two instances of Airio, naturally). The core concern are the common statistics, shared between all connected servers. Because they are common, all servers should use the same settings to accumulate them.

So, if you currently set a 20 percent restriction for UFR, it will be applied on all servers and all gathered stats will be compatible, done under the same conditions, results comparable. If you could set restriction to 0 on one server and to 20 on another, the stats would be mixed and you'll have no way to know which cars used approximately the same settings as yours.

Well, I hope you see what I mean. But I'll think about this, what could be done...
Quote from EQ Worry :

Right, I see what you mean. Unfortunately this is not currently possible (unless you run two instances of Airio, naturally). The core concern are the common statistics, shared between all connected servers. Because they are common, all servers should use the same settings to accumulate them.

So, if you currently set a 20 percent restriction for UFR, it will be applied on all servers and all gathered stats will be compatible, done under the same conditions, results comparable. If you could set restriction to 0 on one server and to 20 on another, the stats would be mixed and you'll have no way to know which cars used approximately the same settings as yours.

Well, I hope you see what I mean. But I'll think about this, what could be done...

Txn for ur prompt answer... mby solution is to put extra data in pb list... like using veriable for restriction with amount of restriction and if no rest. applyed then create variable with 0.... just a suggestion it's been so long since i wrote some code...
Quote from DuleXY :Txn for ur prompt answer... mby solution is to put extra data in pb list... like using veriable for restriction with amount of restriction and if no rest. applyed then create variable with 0.... just a suggestion it's been so long since i wrote some code...

Oh yes, the handicaps you had when making certain lap time can be stored, but the question is what can be done witch such a value. For practical reasons it is not possible to store player's best laps with all the possible handicaps, that would mean vast amounts of data.

A solution may be to store data only by required (minimum) handicaps. Then you could have e.g. two statistics stored for the same track/car combination and only those equal to current server requirements would show in !sb and such. I guess this arrangement is possible, though not easy to implement, because it means not only storing some new data into stats (intake and mass), but also selecting data items based on these criteria and displaying it somewhere in the outputs.

But I think this would be possible, implementable, usable. So I'm adding this somewhere hight on my ToDo list...
We have found a little problem

In the PB.txt file there are problems with some characters. I mean, one of our racers is a.s. pérez in LFS-World, but in the PB.txt file appears as a. s. pérez

I know... damn nick with spaces, dots and accent, but we can't control that

Anyway, as we parse the PB.txt to link online times with our DB we find this an inconvenient. If it's too much complicated to solve it we can try a turnaround in our PHP/DB anyway
Quote from RocksGt :In the PB.txt file there are problems with some characters. I mean, one of our racers is a.s. pérez in LFS-World, but in the PB.txt file appears as a. s. pérez

Right, it is the forever returning trouble with character encodings. To be sure the nicknames are correct they are exported unchanged, I mean not converted into Unicode. Unfortunately the Lapper export file uses Unicode encoding and that is (I believe) the cause of troubles.

My bad, your good point. I've corrected that, the exported file will be in 2.1.3 pure ASCII, nicknames in LFS characters. To change the strings into Unicode for Web page display there's a PHP script available some where, created by Victor.

Just give me a day or two to finish some other things for 2.1.3, then it should be OK... And thanks for pointing this out!
Quote from EQ Worry :My bad, your good point. I've corrected that, the exported file will be in 2.1.3 pure ASCII, nicknames in LFS characters. To change the strings into Unicode for Web page display there's a PHP script available some where, created by Victor.

How about an option for that since unicode is the way everything is going now - removing it completely in favour of ASCII is a step back in some ways. For one I found it convenient that Airio handles UTF-8-to-LFS perfectly well - we got Greek running in it right away on a private server. So knowing that everything going in and coming out is in UTF8 kinda helps. Just my 2c.
Quote from xaotik :How about an option for that since unicode is the way everything is going now - removing it completely in favour of ASCII is a step back in some ways. For one I found it convenient that Airio handles UTF-8-to-LFS perfectly well - we got Greek running in it right away on a private server. So knowing that everything going in and coming out is in UTF8 kinda helps. Just my 2c.

When Airio was using the LFSLib external library it was kind of forced to work with Unicode, because that library converts all strings. But then I started to discover more and more troubles with this approach, like some people not spectated because of strange chars in their nicknames. I was updating the LFSLib source code a lot to improve the strings handling, but it never worked quite to my satisfaction.

In Airio 2 I went for a simpler approach in its internal library: Handle all strings as they come reported by InSim, use Unicode only for imported/exported strings. This makes sure all people can be spectated, because no conversion is done. Also the Unicode conversion to LFS codes and back works only for European languages. If you try to feed to it external Unicode file (e.g. MSG) with Asian characters, I guess it would fail miserably in displaying them.

The export into Lapper data is kept in ASCII, because I believe that most existing scripts expect that and are using their own conversions (such as the one mentioned earlier). Well, it is a kind of tried and proven approach.

Naturaly if there appear some serious troubles with current arragement I'm ready to improve/change how things are done, but I'm not going to change what is obviously (most of the time) functional and usable. But anyway, thanks for the the suggestion, I'll keep that opinion in mind.
Hi EQ Worry,

Quick question. When you update Airio. Is it only the .exe that is normally updated or are some of the text files changed?

I am in the middle of finalising the install on the 500servers control panel and just want to know what to expect for updates.

Thanks.
I'll take the chance and answer that Franky.
Yes, there could be some new config options added in the files, or completely new files altogether.

I got your message earlier that Airio was now available at 500servers, and have now set it up and it's running on our servers. You do realize that installing it for every server is not needed? One instance of the program can control several servers. I only installed it once, then copied over my config/stats files from when I ran it on my own pc, and so far looks to be running fine.
Quote from franky500 :Quick question. When you update Airio. Is it only the .exe that is normally updated or are some of the text files changed?
I am in the middle of finalising the install on the 500servers control panel and just want to know what to expect for updates.

Hi, Franky, and big thanks for making it available! Running Airio remotely was possible but under heavy load there were ocassionally connection errors and disconnects. With the current local run on your site I believe these concerns are solved.

Usually it is only the EXE and PDB (for debugging) that change, but sometimes there are new options in the configuration files, so they may be updated as well. It is not advised to overwrite custom configs with new files though, but rather copy the new items (manually) into existing files so that the other custom settings are not lost. Also the changelog and todo files are updated regularly.

I'm not sure what arrangement may be possible to make updating somehow automated, I mean updating of the files new customers will get if they choose Airio as the tracker. I may be sending the updates somewhere, or some tools may check for that automatically, I'm not sure.

I have an important question. I guess it is obvious people may update their config files, but can they also update the application itself? Is it possible for them to stop their current instance, overwrite the EXE (and PDB) file and run it again as a new version? I think that approach would give people the best control over it, but I realize as well it may introduce some security risks to your site.

Quote from arco :I got your message earlier that Airio was now available at 500servers, and have now set it up and it's running on our servers. You do realize that installing it for every server is not needed? One instance of the program can control several servers. I only installed it once, then copied over my config/stats files from when I ran it on my own pc, and so far looks to be running fine.

True, the FREE Airio version can manage up to 4 LFS servers at the same time, giving them to some extend common configuration as well as individual configuration and common statistics, among other things.

Well, I guess it would be up to the customers to realize this, install Airio just on one of their hired servers and create config files that will make the one instance to connect to other servers they have, using IP address, InSim port and admin password.

Overall, it is great news that 500 servers support Airio now, makes me very happy.
We are with 500 servers and have just installed it and it works great! Thanks again EQ Worry
Quote from EQ Worry :Hi, Franky, and big thanks for making it available! Running Airio remotely was possible but under heavy load there were ocassionally connection errors and disconnects. With the current local run on your site I believe these concerns are solved.

Usually it is only the EXE and PDB (for debugging) that change, but sometimes there are new options in the configuration files, so they may be updated as well. It is not advised to overwrite custom configs with new files though, but rather copy the new items (manually) into existing files so that the other custom settings are not lost. Also the changelog and todo files are updated regularly.

I'm not sure what arrangement may be possible to make updating somehow automated, I mean updating of the files new customers will get if they choose Airio as the tracker. I may be sending the updates somewhere, or some tools may check for that automatically, I'm not sure.

I have an important question. I guess it is obvious people may update their config files, but can they also update the application itself? Is it possible for them to stop their current instance, overwrite the EXE (and PDB) file and run it again as a new version? I think that approach would give people the best control over it, but I realize as well it may introduce some security risks to your site.

True, the FREE Airio version can manage up to 4 LFS servers at the same time, giving them to some extend common configuration as well as individual configuration and common statistics, among other things.

Well, I guess it would be up to the customers to realize this, install Airio just on one of their hired servers and create config files that will make the one instance to connect to other servers they have, using IP address, InSim port and admin password.

Overall, it is great news that 500 servers support Airio now, makes me very happy.

what actually gets updated is not a hugh problem. only knowing about what has been added / removed in current configuration files (eg extra options) as customers would need to add / update some of these settings theirselves but if its a major change i would prefer to be able to notify those users of the specific changes.

The way the updates work is that i add the update (exe / PDB files) to our updates system where the customer can then choose to install that update or revert to an older one.

Quote from arco :
I got your message earlier that Airio was now available at 500servers, and have now set it up and it's running on our servers. You do realize that installing it for every server is not needed? One instance of the program can control several servers. I only installed it once, then copied over my config/stats files from when I ran it on my own pc, and so far looks to be running fine.

Yes i am aware of this and the Airio installation files are set to install in their own folder for this very reason. However as most users have 1 or 2 servers. it is best for the application to be installed with default settings to connect to one of the servers so people have a working example available straight away.

I will be sure to add a note stating that only one instance is required,

Thanks.
Quote from jasonmatthews :We are with 500 servers and have just installed it and it works great! Thanks again EQ Worry

Nice! Thanks for making it available at 500servers go to Franky, naturally.

Quote from franky500 :... only knowing about what has been added / removed in current configuration files (eg extra options) as customers would need to add / update some of these settings theirselves but if its a major change i would prefer to be able to notify those users of the specific changes.

There is always a changelog file available in the archive. The name is ! Change.txt and it sais what changes/updates/additions were made comparing to previous version. All new configuration items and their place is always specifically mentioned there, which makes it possible just look up the new items and the explaining text in appropriate files and copy those into customized configuration.

A short note about update frequency: As you may see in the archive, the TODO list is still quite large, new things/ideas coming constantly. Generally I hope to be able to offer some updates about once a week, the first one coming (probably) today.

Quote from franky500 :The way the updates work is that i add the update (exe / PDB files) to our updates system where the customer can then choose to install that update or revert to an older one.

Right. I'm not sure if your auto-update system allows that, but simple killing the running instance is not safe, some files may be corrupted. Airio should always be stopped by typing the !qt command or pressing Q in its console. Then, after a short while it is possible to safely kill the application (if it is set not to close itself completely), put new EXE/PDB there and run it again.

I'd like to ask again though about this: Can people themselves update the EXE file? Say if someone gets the FULL or oherwise customized version from me. Can he stop Airio, upload the new EXE (overwriting the previous one), run it? Sorry, I'm still not sure about this point.
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Hey Worry, hows things mate - to quick answer for Dean, i think if you look at 500servers terms and conditions they dont allow the uploading of exe's and dll's for security reasons - so i think what he would have been refering to in his answer is that they supply the updated exe to users via the TCAdmin panel, where the user can then choose to update their exe or not - this is same way lapper etc work with updates.

Oh, hi, Silver! Nice to hear from you again! (And sorry for your recent troubles on AA servers.) Yes, I understand the security concerns about EXEs and DLLs. Still, some people informed me that you can actualy upload those files, but you have no way to run them. The situation may be different though if the CP allows you to run predefined filenames, such as Airio.exe (similar to what FireDaemon does for us). But I'm really not sure about this, having no personal experience with 500servers' CPs. Well, I guess once there is 2.1.3 out I'll ask some people to experiment a bit.
Airio 2.1.3 moves to the FREE version the option to partially reverse start grid based on last race results/session best lap times and also allows to define how many places are to be reversed.

There are other things like displaying current points for playing (!ptp) together with position in !pb list or check for automatic race restart, which could have been spoiled by lags.

For more info and appropriate config items see the changelog file.
Quote from EQ Worry :Airio 2.1.3 moves to the FREE version the option to partially reverse start grid based on last race results/session best lap times and also allows to define how many places are to be reversed.

There are other things like displaying current points for playing (!ptp) together with position in !pb list or check for automatic race restart, which could have been spoiled by lags.

For more info and appropriate config items see the changelog file.

Why don't You publish the changelog file in the first post? It is a consolidate way to make our lives easier.
Quote from lysergic :Why don't You publish the changelog file in the first post? It is a consolidate way to make our lives easier.

You mean first post of this whole thread? That one is rather long by itself. Maybe an updated attachment there? Or maybe attach it to the message announcing new version?
Quote from lysergic :Why don't You publish the changelog file in the first post? It is a consolidate way to make our lives easier.

my suggestion would be to make a link on the first post to a change log somewhere in the AIRIO website. List the new changes there. That will keep the first post here from getting too long AND it will direct people to go look at the great site you've made and ALL the information available about AIRIO that you have produced

By the way, great to see you racing with us last night
Quote from StableX :my suggestion would be to make a link on the first post to a change log somewhere in the AIRIO website. List the new changes there. That will keep the first post here from getting too long AND it will direct people to go look at the great site you've made and ALL the information available about AIRIO that you have produced

Right, maybe I'll remove the changelog and todo files from the distribution archive and have all the info available only on the website. You know, keeping the same info at two places is tedious and complicated to update. I guess the data will be better available at the website.

And about the Airio site. The graphical design is rather minimalistic, but it is true that anyone seriously interested in setting up the system or using it to maximum extent should read the documentation. Currently it is a bit delayed, but just a bit, nothing important.

Quote from StableX :By the way, great to see you racing with us last night

It was very nice! I found out that I'm able to keep the restricted GTR car on the road, well, I mean most of the time. Pity I did not get any points for all my efforts. The real challenge was getting into the stats. Now I wonder if the time limit was set intentionally so high or if you just missed the option to lower the limit for restricted cars using TimeAdjustment item in Airio.cfg.tc.txt file.
I found that 2.1.3 version is working like charm... and i have suggestion:

1. put together in top list different cars on some servers like defaulttopshow= fxr+xrr+fzr

that`s all for now.

DuleXY
SHDTeam
Quote from DuleXY :1. put together in top list different cars on some servers like defaulttopshow= fxr+xrr+fzr

Supporting lists of several car types is high on my todo list, but it is not currently implemented. I also plan to allow admins to define custom car groups, such as TBO or GTR. Then it would be possible to type !sb gtr and see a combined list.
Hi, there! Well, to answer your question: No. Currently the track order is set. However the track will rotate on every entry into race end screen, so people may vote to end race to change track, several times, as they wish. The !track command shows how many races were done and what the next track will be. I guess random rotation could be somehow implemented, but I'd need to select the upcoming track right after change, so that it could be displayed in !track.
Marvelous, I'm always happy to satisfy a feature request in this way, one or two sentences. My list of TODO things grows rather long, some things easier to add, some harder...

AIRIO - Advanced LFS Tracker
(2384 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG