The online racing simulator
From a marketing point of view, the fact that they don't sell "Acuras" in Europe isn't such a big deterrent from going to LeMans, IMO. The Acura is an American-market brand, and that's why they race in ALMS. However, it's probably fair to say that the marketing/brand promotion that Acura's ALMS presence gives is mostly geared to the people who follow ALMS and other sports car racing stateside (and according to ALMS, are a fairly affluent bunch, on average). But surely, this audience is at least aware of (and probably follows closely) the 24h of LeMans. So any success they have at la Sarthe can still be used to improve the brand image...in America. Now if they only started building proper RWD road cars

And deggis - thanks for the ARX-02 links
And Antonio García signed up with Corvette for GT1. A punch in the face for Aston Martin, but what can they expect since its taking forever for them to decide if they race or not...

Anyway their chances of winning in Le Mans have taken a serious blow

Go Vette!
Quote from BurnOut69 :And Antonio García signed up with Corvette for GT1. A punch in the face for Aston Martin, but what can they expect since its taking forever for them to decide if they race or not...

Anyway their chances of winning in Le Mans have taken a serious blow

Go Vette!

You have missed something... last week they announced factory team won't be in GT1.

But they announced something else too: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=53358

Quote from Speedy Pro :From a marketing point of view, the fact that they don't sell "Acuras" in Europe isn't such a big deterrent from going to LeMans, IMO. The Acura is an American-market brand, and that's why they race in ALMS. However, it's probably fair to say that the marketing/brand promotion that Acura's ALMS presence gives is mostly geared to the people who follow ALMS and other sports car racing stateside (and according to ALMS, are a fairly affluent bunch, on average). But surely, this audience is at least aware of (and probably follows closely) the 24h of LeMans. So any success they have at la Sarthe can still be used to improve the brand image...in America. Now if they only started building proper RWD road cars

You're right... but question is 24LM as an addition to ALMS enough. Of course no one from Acura has said brand's nonexistence in Europe is an issue. Wouldn't that be actually a good reason in PR-sense if they didn't want to go? instead of this "we have a dream and we need to prove the car first".
I guess they're being conservative and want to take small steps at a time. Though if the car runs well at Sebring, it'd be a shame if they don't go to LM this year.
I think the deadline for entry applications was 1-2 weeks ago... and ACO will reveal the entry list in couple of weeks so unless Acura has been pretty secretive and just playing dumb, I don't think THIS year is realistic.

Hopefully 2010...
I doubt Acura will be at la Sarthe this year, but I doubt they will not be there next year.
Peugeot @ 2009:

Quote :We have consequently chosen to compete in March’s 12 Hours of Sebring, which is the opening round of the American Le Mans Series, with two cars and six drivers. We will then take three cars in Belgium for the 1,000km of Spa-Francorchamps in May (8-10). We haven’t yet decided what our programme after the Le Mans 24 Hours will be.

The Peugeot Sport line-up features 9 drivers, with the team’s confidence going to the drivers who have made such a satisfactory contribution to the first two years of its current endurance programme:

Sébastien Bourdais (France), 30.
David Brabham (Australia), 43.
Marc Gené (Spain), 35.
Christian Klien (Austria), 26.
Pedro Lamy (Portugal), 37.
Nicolas Minassian (France), 36.
Franck Montagny (France), 31.
Stéphane Sarrazin (France), 33.
Alexander Wurz (Austria), 35.

The crews of the two cars for Sebring (March 21) are:

N°7 908 HDi FAP
Nicolas Minassian/Pedro Lamy/Christian Klien

N°8 908 HDi FAP
Franck Montagny/Stéphane Sarrazin/Sébastien Bourdais

Press release

Bourdais - yay! First full-time F1 driver to race at Le Mans since... ehm...

But Brabham? Little bit awkward situation? Even that Sebring is only "testing" for Peugeot, he might sit in a rival car at 2010 Le Mans.

Pics:

Bourdais at Sebring just a week before Melbourne? Quite an intense schedule.
I was also wondering about Brabs driving for Peugeot. Guess that means Patron Highcroft aren't going to LM this year. That said, they sure signed themselves a good driver.
Acura P1 car pages now uploaded on Mulsannes Corner.com
Quote from MAGGOT :I doubt Acura will be at la Sarthe this year, but I doubt they will not be there next year.

Why do you think that?
Quote from Primoz :Why do you think that?

I can't see any manufacturer getting into LeMans Prototypes and not going to LeMans. It just wouldn't make sense. Not going this year makes sense, but not going next year doesn't.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Is it just me or does it seem like the driver would have a HUGE blind spot with that big a-pillar on the Peugeot cockpit? Nice looking car though.
oooo, should be interesting
Quote from el pibe :that is the nail in audi's coffin . look , they completely ruined a nice looking car just to be equal with the 908's pace

This is racing, not a beauty contest. I hope the R15 kicks the crap out of the Peugeot.

Quote :ps: i really like the 908 .... looks like a UFO with wheels

Really? The 908 looks like crap.
Quote from MAGGOT : This is racing, not a beauty contest. I hope the R15 kicks the crap out of the Peugeot.

Really? The 908 looks like crap.

someone has to detrone audi , and right now that someone are the peugeots. if the governing body lets them ... they will use a car with a system similar to kers.
I like the 908 and Acury design
Even the new Audi doesn't look that bad
Quote from el pibe :someone has to detrone audi , and right now that someone are the peugeots. if the governing body lets them ... they will use a car with a system similar to kers.

2009 regulations already have a paragraph about hybrids but cars won't be classified (exclude ALMS) until 2010. I don't think "908 HY" will be used, at least not before Le Mans. Would be pointless to confuse preparing with so much extra stuff that the KERS system would need. Petit Le Mans in October would be auspicious place to test it though and prepare for 2010...
I thought ACO were forcing closed cockpit regs? Why is the Peugeot a closed cockpit and the Audi not?
but it saves weight, and you won't have to deal with some things you would on a closed cockpit car (AC, fast driver changing, accesability after a crash ect)

ALMS/LMS/Le Mans/FIA GT 2009
(948 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG