The online racing simulator
Port the game for mac.
(52 posts, started )
Quote from xxtrashcanxx :I am not American. Ich liebe Deutchland.
LFS and X-plane are sims not games.

Why the hell do we care if you're American or not? It doesn't make your post any different whether you're from Australia, Austria, Laos, Germany, Russia, or Mars. illepall
Why I say that I am not American.
I say I am not American because I don't have citizenship in America. I don't really like America. I want to go home.
Quote :the best thing about OSX is that it's mostly Linux.

The rest of your post ridicules the Mac and makes you sound all knowledgeable and educated, then you said this... You surely meant it's similar to Linux because Linux is based on Unix, which is what sits underneath MacOSX.

It's actually quite interesting to boot into single user mode, or when you get a kernel panic. Windows has pretty much done away with the blue screen of death and MS-DOS underneath - but now the Mac does it instead !

Quote :I wont argue that most Mac OSX server's are run as open relay's, but I'll argue thats due to the people who run Mac OSX server's, and not configuring things properly. I'm afraid that I don't know what OSX runs for its mail server, but I'd hazard a guess its just sendmail, or some derivative - which is known to be a total bitch to configure; and isnt what-so-ever by default. As for the inept-ity of the server, I'd argue that its not that bad, but again mostly those who are configuring it, since its based on a micro kernel, and the services do all the hardwork - which are much easier to misconfigure.

No seriously it's a load of bundled freeware rubbish, dont touch it with an elongated barge pole. I'm currently about to start coding an OSX Mail Server to run with OSX 10.3/10.4 Servers because of Apple's security vulnerabilities in the mail funtion.

How good is OSX server for emails?

Apple themselves use Netscape.

I like Apple, but I cannot stand up and defend OSX Server. It's rubbish.
Quote from Becky Rose :The rest of your post ridicules the Mac and makes you sound all knowledgeable and educated, then you said this... You surely meant it's similar to Linux because Linux is based on Unix, which is what sits underneath MacOSX.

Yeah, sort of implied, actually. :P Most of my co-workers refer to any Unix/Linux port as Linux, be it BSD or Slax or whatever since on the outside they all look pretty much the same. But anyway- I'll admit that I dont have a lot of practical knowledge of *ux, I "administer" a couple of mail servers but that's just simple stuff like updating spamfilters and whatnot.

Brendan
Quote from Becky Rose :No seriously it's a load of bundled freeware rubbish, dont touch it with an elongated barge pole. I'm currently about to start coding an OSX Mail Server to run with OSX 10.3/10.4 Servers because of Apple's security vulnerabilities in the mail funtion.

How good is OSX server for emails?

Apple themselves use Netscape.

I like Apple, but I cannot stand up and defend OSX Server. It's rubbish.

I guess you prolly don't mean it, but just because its "freeware" doesnt mean its shite all the time; see postfix, bash, postgresql, etc. etc. I have to totally conceed I know sod all about the recent Macs though, except they're based on BSD It would be interesting to see what they;re like in a "corporate" environment.
Quote from Lord_Verminaard :F.U.D.

I love how everyone digs out old anti-mac videos from the OS9 days when they want to diss them. I've had Macs since I was born, and I'll admit that OS9 was a pile of junk. But anyone who has spent some time with a machine running OS X will realise just how competent they are.

The reason none of the PCs and servers you service are Macs is because they aren't made for offices. Office computers cost about £200, why would they waste their money on a Mac when they don't need it? However, look at design firms and music/photography companies and you'll see rooms full of Macs, happilly going about making their users lives infinitely easier than an XP computer. Look at computer labs in universities, running Mathematica.

Macs are serious computers, and the Windows community needs to wake up and realise this, but they're too afraid of something different, too afraid they'll like it and be branded an Apple loving homo and cast out of their PC community. Eh, Blowtus?

The only reason my PC gets turned on is for LFS. When I get my Macbook Pro, I'll have a tiny partition of XP for my daily LFS fix.
Ummm, in my experience, macs have been the spawn of satan, not only are they stupidly expensive, but they fail just when the deadline's coming up.... the mice are made for little girls, and the singlemindedness of apple is represented in the amount of mouse buttons it has .

rant aside, macs are good for a few things.. but for gaming... thats a big negative.

And where i have worked (mayor 3d companies) its ALL PC, the macs are for the interns\paper weights\door jams.
I have to say spook that's a very common attitude amongst Mac users, if computers where people then most Mac users would be considered so prejudice they'd be branded the digital equivallent of the National Front/Nazi party.

I consider myself to be truly multiplatform, I dont know every platform granted, but i've worked at kernel-interfacing level in 6 major OS environments across 3 platforms (not including 8bit era stuff) - I really dont give a rats monkeys about what platform is "better" or designed for what purpose.

I've got somewhere well over 100 general purpose office based customers running Mac's, and plenty of design studios, video and music studios running PC's. Each platform is quite capable, they're a little different from each other - they have their own quirks. Both have some utterly stupid bang your head against a wall terribly ill-conceived ways of doing things, and both have some nice features.

What you rarely find though is a pro-Microsoft fan, i've met only a handful of people who just buy into anything Microsoft produce. It's a different story amongst Apple users though where the majority - I guess around 60% or more - are determined to prove that their Mac is better than a PC.

I think it's some kind of extended insecurity over their buying purchase by trying to convince themselves they havn't made a mistake.

Personally I use the right tool for the job. Sometimes that's a Macintosh, sometimes that's a PC, and sometimes it's neither... I'll happily use an Amiga still (although these days usually under emulation). I dont see a computer as being much different to a mobile phone - and I have no preference over OS there either. I just want tools that do the job.
I wasn't meaning to sound like a Mac zealot. I use PCs a whole lot more (outside of home) than I do Macs, so I'm perfectly comfortable with them, and I quite often use Linux on my home PC and even on my Powerbook. The point of my post was that others had been claiming Macs were useless, and that's something a lot of PC users do without ever touching one. I was trying to show that they are, in fact, decent computers.

Of course people will run Windows computers, because there are a lot of things that PCs are better at. A "no-frills" PC is much cheaper, and that's what companies look for in office PCs. Hardcore CAD will be done on a PC (or Sun, or SGI or something) because the graphics card choice is much higher for a PC, a lot of film editing is done on a PC using Avid.

I do turn my PC on for more than gaming, because I quite often design using AutoCAD and Inventor, for which there are no Mac ports. Oh yeah, and I've got to update the antivirus (joke).

Until the Intel Macs and Bootcamp came out, I was going to build myself a PC for uni, because there will be Windows apps that I'll need to use as part of the course. It'd spent most of it's time running Ubuntu, but I'd have Windows when I needed it.

Like you, I'll use whatever platform I need, but I'm fed up with people bashing Macs (or any platform, for that matter. I've joined sides with the Windows people in arguments before) as useless.
Quote from sweetreid : Answer to: Is there a Linux or Mac port available, or will there be?:
No, there is and will be no port of LFS to Linux or Mac. Doing this would take a huge effort and a long time and because our development team only consists of 3 people, we simply do not have the manpower to do just that. The time we would spend creating a port can be much better spent improving the sim itself.

It doesn't mean that a port for other platform can't be done by some 3rd party company like Icculus/LGP, Aspyr, Transgaming and others, with minimal involvement of LFS dev team.

Quote from Woz :LFS is a Direct X application, and I can't see MS porting DX to a Mac. For the devs to port from DX to OGL requires a huge amount of work.

There are both open and closed source DirectX and Win32 API implementations for other platforms.
2 people have brought up Mathematica as a pro for Macs so far. You do realize that:
a) Mathematica runs on lots of platforms, so OMG port LFS to HPUX.
b) Maple is, in every single way, better than mathematica.
OT: Spookthehamster, SGI is no more.
"I don't really like America. I want to go home." No offence, but that's irrelevant to this topic. Say it once in your sig, not three times in an unrelated topic.
Quote from RMachucaA :OT: Spookthehamster, SGI is no more.

I heard about that last week, I'm sure quite a lot of companies are going to be affected by that. Even more off-topic, have you seen the SGI box/mini fridge case mod? link
Maple is not better.
I have never used maple and Mathematica 5 is a very fluent and flowing program. And in other words it gets things done fast.

BTW Do any of you know logic/main/mother board manufacturers for PASEMI www. pasemi.com. Need crap for the computer Thanks
#41 - Woz
Quote from StuntCarRacer :There are both open and closed source DirectX and Win32 API implementations for other platforms.

Well as Wine etc exist then why not use them to run LFS. Ah hold on they are not 100% compatible with Windows so not all software works on them.

Do you really believe that any developer will put the huge effort into developing a Mac version of a game and supporting it on a community port of Win32 API and DX. There are just too many risks to sink in that sort of money for that sort of risk and the Mac market share is so small that it is not worth the money.

OGL is the only way to go if you want cross platform, as iD and many other companies have done. Please tell me a single game that is DX on windows and has been ported to run on a DX clone on another platform. THERE ARE NONE. As LFS is DX it just does not make sense to go through the cost of a OGL port.

The reasons Windows is popular is that it is where all the software is. And the reason all the software is on Windows is because it is popular. The Mac has a HUGE uphil battle to gain a real foot hold.

The Mac also has the problem that Apple will not let anyone else make Mac hardware so you have to pay over the odds for hardware that would cost half the price in the Windows world.
Back on topic...
The OP mentioned that the ONLY decent racing sim for the mac is "Racer"??

Not by far.

Check out Colin McRae Rally for MAC, ported by Feral Interactive. INMHO it's even better/more fun than DTM Racer Driver 3 (ToCA) that they've just recently ported.

Or yeah, you can also check out DTM Race Driver 3, but that only runs on Intel macs CMR runs on both. CMR was so good I just had to buy a G25 wheel to go with it. It continues to be so bloody addictive that I even brought the wheel to school (I'm a teacher) where I have a go at it sometimes on my macbook (at home I'd use my G5 iMac with a bigger screen). I find that if I keep the wheel in school though, I can get more work done at home : P

But shit. Would love to have LFS2 ported on the mac, natively. I hope you eggheads can get some guy who knows how to code on the mac, because it's really easier-than-us-people-who-know-nothing-about-think-it-is. You have a viable excuse not to port it now coz you have just 3 developers. Add just one mac guy in there and you'll have it on the mac in no time.

Are there any mac developers here who wanna join the team/volunteer? Geez... if only I knew how to code with xCode...

Hey mebbe you guys should drop Feral Interactive a line and strike a deal with them. I mean geez... think of the opportunities/revenue you can open up with the mac market. People with money to burn. You think Blizzard doesn't know this??
Quote from Woz :Well as Wine etc exist then why not use them to run LFS. Ah hold on they are not 100% compatible with Windows so not all software works on them.

LFS definitely works under Wine, I actually raced online with it several times no prob but you do not have to take my words: there are countless threads on LFSforum about that.

The Mac guys have a Wine port, I have no idea how good it works ATM, but it can definitely be an option.

Quote from Woz :The reasons Windows is popular is that it is where all the software is.

That's what Microsoft wants the little guys to believe. While of course Windows has a massive software base, there are also very fine applications that simply do not work under Windows.

E.g. CinePaint currently does not support Windows and has been used on all the following movies.

Scooby-Doo, Elf, Looney Tunes, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Duplex, The Last Samurai, Showtime, Blue Crush, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Harry Potter, Cats & Dogs, Dr. Dolittle 2, Little Nicky, The Grinch, Sixth Day, Stuart Little, Planet of the Apes, Stuart Little 2, and Spider-Man.

Not underground B-movie stuff as you see...
Quote from theanimaster :The OP mentioned that the ONLY decent racing sim for the mac is "Racer"??

Not by far.

Check out Colin McRae Rally for MAC, ported by Feral Interactive. INMHO it's even better/more fun than DTM Racer Driver 3 (ToCA) that they've just recently ported.

Or yeah, you can also check out DTM Race Driver 3, but that only runs on Intel macs CMR runs on both. CMR was so good I just had to buy a G25 wheel to go with it. It continues to be so bloody addictive that I even brought the wheel to school (I'm a teacher) where I have a go at it sometimes on my macbook (at home I'd use my G5 iMac with a bigger screen). I find that if I keep the wheel in school though, I can get more work done at home : P

But shit. Would love to have LFS2 ported on the mac, natively. I hope you eggheads can get some guy who knows how to code on the mac, because it's really easier-than-us-people-who-know-nothing-about-think-it-is. You have a viable excuse not to port it now coz you have just 3 developers. Add just one mac guy in there and you'll have it on the mac in no time.

Are there any mac developers here who wanna join the team/volunteer? Geez... if only I knew how to code with xCode...

Hey mebbe you guys should drop Feral Interactive a line and strike a deal with them. I mean geez... think of the opportunities/revenue you can open up with the mac market. People with money to burn. You think Blizzard doesn't know this??

Just run Windoze on your Mac god dammit, most Macs come with Intel CPU's nowadays anyway. :hide:
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I personally can't believe the ignorance here about Macs. They are awesome to use, Not like windows XP which has to have a security flaw patched every .002 seconds. OSX has had very few, and the ones that have been patched, weren't exploited. Once I get my 20" iMac, I'm gonna throw this "Dull Grey Box" out the freaking window, and be 33.3% OSX, 33.3% Linux and 33.3% XP, All on 1 Pretty little White curved rectangle.

Also, about the point of another Architecture, If you haven't realized, there are a such thing as the INTEL iMacs, so Scawen would basically only have to re-code/mod-code for Unix/Linux type of OS.

yeah, but if you watch the commercials, how many lfs players do you see in those groups?

Just kidding, but you can run LFS using bootcamp as far as i know.
way to go ressurecting a thread that is almost 3 years old...
Quote from teedot :way to go ressurecting a thread that is almost 3 years old...

Whoops

But you gotta admit... CMR and ToCA RD3 are out for the mac... I think it was appropriate enough to revisit the discussion (especially since it came up on Google first, after all this time) : P

Oh and yeah... about bootcamp. Sure it'll run, everything does. Problem is, I don't have a copy of Windoze and don't feel that I'd ever want to. Not too long ago there was a copy of Windoze on my mac. It lasted 3 months, got corrupted, and had to be trashed. Hooray that it was so easy with a mac... just imagine if I had a PC!

But still... I own a G5 iMac which I prefer to use for gaming rather than the macbook. The iMac just has a bigger screen... more suitable for driving sims. Not everyone can fork out money on a 20 or 23-inch screen in such little time...
#48 - ekze
Just use Wine or Cedega. It works great with MacOS and Linux and you can play lfs just fine without windows.
Indeed, Cedega is a great piece of software
Quote from teedot :Indeed, Cedega is a great piece of software

if you don't mind paying an additional $5/month to play games... personally i don't have that kind of money to burn... and wine's force feedback support is garbage.

i so can't wait until i buy a new server, then i can turn one of those pc's into a lfs-only windows box.

Port the game for mac.
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG