The online racing simulator
Port the game for mac.
(52 posts, started )
Port the game for mac.
I own a mac. The only decent racing/driving simulator available for the platform is racer. The final realese of the version does not support many things in the current betas. The betas cause a problem because they are a head ache to use from start to finish. On tuesday I was over a friends house and he showed me the Live for Speed simulator. I was blown away. Please consider this for the future. Apple is now bigger then Dell and is continually growing. This will increase your sales dramatically. Please don't say that it is not neccesory to do it because new mac computers are able to run windows. Mac OS X is much easier and better to use. I know it is a lot to ask but this is the best driving simulator I have seen. You have to first move the game to Xcode and then compile it making it Universal binary. Please dont say that you cannot do it because you cannot afford a mac. Yoou can buy an mac mini for $599. I know this will take one to a couple of months to do but please. I it takes to make me and my friends buy a license for the game we will do it. Please port the game for mac. You will gab the racing/driving simulator market for mac just like X-Plane tool the flight simulator market for mac. It is really good too. Plwase port the game for a mac computer. Thank you for reading this post.
I am not American.
I just saw that my post was put under the American flag. I am not american I just came here to get some education. I am going back to Germany soon. Ich liebe Deutschland.
Port your PC to x86.
#4 - Jakg
hmmmm, new Mac Mini + Bootcamp = Mac with Windows

Problem solved!
Not everyone wants to change to Windows or run Windows on a Mac. I have to say we have them at my local sixth form and I love working on them. I would get one but it doesn't run LFS so thats big cross against it. If the developers did allow it to run on Mac (However hard it may be) that would be a big bonus for certain consumers.
#6 - axus
Quote from xxtrashcanxx :I just saw that my post was put under the American flag. I am not american I just came here to get some education. I am going back to Germany soon. Ich liebe Deutschland.

When you see people giving excuses for being American or living in America, that's when you know its quite bad.
#7 - Krane
Quote from xxtrashcanxx :I know this will take one to a couple of months to do but please.

#9 - Gunn
I can't see this happening any time soon, though it would be nice to have six more people playing LFS.
Quote from Gunn :I can't see this happening any time soon, though it would be nice to have six more people playing LFS.

I think you're rather optimistic here...
#11 - Gunn
We already know that the devs aren't trying to corner the market or anything so I guess they would need a good reason to consider porting to Mac.
Quote :Apple is now bigger then Dell and is continually growing. This will increase your sales dramatically.

On the one hand whilst Apple are quite big, they're not as big as Dell+HP+IBM+Alienware+ + + .... etc etc etc

On the other hand Apple users are known for their brand loyalty and their willingness to invest in software + hardware writen for their choice of platform.

So just how do the numbers stack up? What does a Mac port really mean for the companies producing software.

To test the userbase I released a dual-platform freeware game and tracked the browser+OS information of downloads to assertain the proportion of PC to Mac users.

3/8th of my download where from Mac users, a previously unexploited market and an increase of 37.5%.

In terms of development there are a number of tools out there not just xcode. Xcode fails because it means that you're doing your PC development on a mac, which is a ridiculous state of affairs to be catering for your prime audience on a niche machine because it means development of some features you can only do on a PC could be impaired.

If the application is writen in DirectX though then just forget it, porting an existing OpenGL application isn't too much hard work, but if it's DirectX is easier to start afresh.

The Mac Mini is an extremely poor choice of computer for games development because it shares system RAM between the CPU and the GPU, reducing it to half speed whenever you do anything remotely graphical on it, an Intel iMac is a far better choice.

Mac's running bootcamp do run extremely well under bootcamp and their performance is actually frighteningly good for the money - at their own price points you wont get faster PC's with the same specs (except Mac Mini), seriously, they're quick for their price points. However they use ATI graphics hardware so dont expect games to run brilliantly, there's still no equalling nVidia's DirectX performance, their 6th best card being both cheaper and faster than ATI's top offering under DX atm.

I wouldn't worry about pre-Intel compatability though because the development time just isn't worth the effort, and post-Intel compatability just isn't a large enough market yet - which means if you go Mac you've got to go universal binary this means that you need to use xcode, which means you have to start over...

Later on, when the Intel platform becomes more widespread in deployment, then there is a good chance a game like LFS could be ported. Any developer having thoughts at the moment though is in a state of "wait and see" with regards Mac - are they going to ditch OSX competely?

Most macophilles will say no, but will OSX be commercially sustainable? That's a wider question.

We already know that OSX Server is a load of freeware with an Apple front end, that's most inept in features and highly vulnerable to hacker attack and spam email relaying - yet they charge £1000 for it.

Apple are an unpredictable oddball company, and whilst the market is forced to "wait and see" I dont see many developers being brave and hedging their bets with Apple - purely because you'd be mad to ever trust or predict them. You can only rely on what's already in the marketplace*.

*Remembering that bootcamp will *stop* working at a later date, legacy compatability is continually reduced via software updates and their hardware range is in a continual state of major flux.
Quote from Becky Rose :We already know that OSX Server is a load of freeware with an Apple front end, that's most inept in features and highly vulnerable to hacker attack and spam email relaying - yet they charge £1000 for it.

I wont argue that most Mac OSX server's are run as open relay's, but I'll argue thats due to the people who run Mac OSX server's, and not configuring things properly. I'm afraid that I don't know what OSX runs for its mail server, but I'd hazard a guess its just sendmail, or some derivative - which is known to be a total bitch to configure; and isnt what-so-ever by default. As for the inept-ity of the server, I'd argue that its not that bad, but again mostly those who are configuring it, since its based on a micro kernel, and the services do all the hardwork - which are much easier to misconfigure.

I totally agree with the rest of the post though. Apple arent the most stable company, and certainly seem to be adopting the "fingers-in-every-pie" approach. Perhaps "jack of all trades, master of none", is a better analogy. If you're running OSX, then I suggest considering DarWINE, or BootCamp. If you're not then I think you're going to be out of luck.
From the FAQ

Answer to: Is there a Linux or Mac port available, or will there be?:
No, there is and will be no port of LFS to Linux or Mac. Doing this would take a huge effort and a long time and because our development team only consists of 3 people, we simply do not have the manpower to do just that. The time we would spend creating a port can be much better spent improving the sim itself.
Thanks for the info.
Thanks for the info found in FAQ. I came across it already that is why I decided to start this thread. Also I wanted to include the response to port your mac to x86. I have an Apple Powerbook 1.5GHz. I cost me around 2700 euros with VAT. Now I am in college, 19 and broke. Coughing up money for a new macmini, imac, or MacBook Pro is tough. If anybody wants to give me one I don't care that you are a guy I swear I would kiss you. But since I cannot get one it is a pain. Thank you for all of your responses guys. You were really helpfull. And besides whoever laughed at saying it would take a couple of months to port this is an idiot. I have every possible certificate and degree in computers posible starting from the basic A+ and ending C++ coding. If I had the source for the game I would have converted it in a couple of months. And if somebody missed my second post. I am German not American. I am only in this country cause I got a scholarship to get to Yale so **** off. Again, thank you for all your posts. Long live Steve Jobs and Apple.
Quote from AndroidXP :I think you're rather optimistic here...

I personally can't believe the ignorance here about Macs. They are awesome to use, Not like windows XP which has to have a security flaw patched every .002 seconds. OSX has had very few, and the ones that have been patched, weren't exploited. Once I get my 20" iMac, I'm gonna throw this "Dull Grey Box" out the freaking window, and be 33.3% OSX, 33.3% Linux and 33.3% XP, All on 1 Pretty little White curved rectangle.

Also, about the point of another Architecture, If you haven't realized, there are a such thing as the INTEL iMacs, so Scawen would basically only have to re-code/mod-code for Unix/Linux type of OS.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :OSX has had very few, and the ones that have been patched, weren't exploited.

Probably because there were much more people trying to find security issues on windows
#18 - avih
Quote from Becky Rose :... To test the userbase I released a dual-platform freeware game and tracked the browser+OS information of downloads to assertain the proportion of PC to Mac users. ...

You never stop surprizing Becky
Let the OS holy war begin.
While porting to Mac, please port to *nix and *bsd. Don't forget List machines!

Let the OS holy war begin. *lean back*

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Kind regards
Peter

P.S.: Don't feed the trolls ;-)
#20 - Woz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I personally can't believe the ignorance here about Macs. They are awesome to use, Not like windows XP which has to have a security flaw patched every .002 seconds. OSX has had very few, and the ones that have been patched, weren't exploited. Once I get my 20" iMac, I'm gonna throw this "Dull Grey Box" out the freaking window, and be 33.3% OSX, 33.3% Linux and 33.3% XP, All on 1 Pretty little White curved rectangle.

Also, about the point of another Architecture, If you haven't realized, there are a such thing as the INTEL iMacs, so Scawen would basically only have to re-code/mod-code for Unix/Linux type of OS.

Because they share the same CPU the port should be simple, rotf. Here are some of the reasons it will not be ported to Mac

1) LFS is a Direct X application, and I can't see MS porting DX to a Mac. For the devs to port from DX to OGL requires a huge amount of work.
2) OGL is only a graphics system while DX handles all manner of tasks so the sound and control systems would need a re-write in the port as DX is no longer available to handle this.
3) The Mac has about 5% of the world computer market so the returns, for what is a minority sim, would not be worth it.

As much as Mac fans love the machine they have to realise its a minority, highly controlled platform. This makes it unattractive to many developers. Take the recent more to x86, how many developers are screaming blue murder at Apple now they need to support 2 different platforms for a while. I would be.
http://video.google.com/videop ... 754844569110939&q=mac

http://video.google.com/videop ... 2263641017&q=mac+suck
illepall
Seriously, if you are interested in any sort of PC gaming whatsoever, you dont buy a mac. Plain and simple. Very few of the mainstream gaming titles are released on macs, and why should LFS be any different. I have been working in the computer field for nearly 10 years now, have a bachelors in Computer Science and the only thing I have learned about macs is that they are practically worthless. Not to sound harsh, but there is a reason why out of the 350 or so PC's and servers in the dozen or so businesses that I service every week, NONE of them are macs. Oh and the best thing about OSX is that it's mostly Linux.

Brendan
how many people wanting to play games really own a mac? What sort of intelligence level does that require? Do we *want* them in LFS?
#24 - Jakg
Quote from xxtrashcanxx :Thanks for the info found in FAQ. I came across it already that is why I decided to start this thread. Also I wanted to include the response to port your mac to x86. I have an Apple Powerbook 1.5GHz. I cost me around 1,850 £ (2700 euros) with VAT. Now I am in college, 19 and broke. Coughing up money for a new macmini, imac, or MacBook Pro is tough. If anybody wants to give me one I don't care that you are a guy I swear I would kiss you. But since I cannot get one it is a pain. Thank you for all of your responses guys. You were really helpfull. And besides whoever laughed at saying it would take a couple of months to port this is an idiot. I have every possible certificate and degree in computers posible starting from the basic A+ and ending C++ coding. If I had the source for the game I would have converted it in a couple of months. And if somebody missed my second post. I am German not American. I am only in this country cause I got a scholarship to get to Yale so **** off. Again, thank you for all your posts. Long live Steve Jobs and Apple.

hmmmm, i bleieve you are talking out of your ass if you think it is a small job porting a directx game to mac!
Number of things.
First don't diss my inteligience.
Second I didn't say that porting to a mac platform would be an easy job. When I sad a cvouple of months I meant wake wake up at 6 work till 18.
Third x86 macs run windows and games. The are a few PowerPC mac games. I have a mac because it is easier for scientific reasearch, cluster computing and 3D design. Plus you can hook up a mac to a supercomputer in two seconds try doing that with a PC. It will take you hours.
Long live Steve Jobs and Apple. Peter(splattael) Rocks. Mathematica 5.2 Rocks. I am not American. Ich liebe Deutchland.
LFS and X-plane are sims not games.

Port the game for mac.
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG