The online racing simulator
You can click on them now and it's the same as pressing that key.
Oh okay, why not then Big grin
Scawen, in the 'Controls' screen you see if a button is pressed and its function if it is assigned to anything, but it doesn't show up if you are on the 'Shifter' tab. For the 'Axes / FF' there is no problem not showing it, but in the 'Shifter' tab you'd need to know if any button is pressed before clicking on any gear.

Just discovered last week, don't know how this went under the radar so many years xD
Test Patch 0.6K6 is now available! https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/88821

Borderless Window full screen mode system :

New SHIFT+key functions are displayed on right of Screen Options
Borderless modes allow ALT+TAB to other programs without minimising
Multiple monitor support is greatly improved by a borderless window
New command /window min/max/monitor/virtual (no parameter=restore)

Misc :

AI drivers can now drive in low wind (but not high)
View shift maximum settings increased to 0.1 m per g

Fixes :

InSim IS_HLV packet no longer reports car contacts as wall hits
Nice ! I never really knew why IA driver can't drive in windy conditions, I never experienced real changes when driving with high wind actually (I never tried with single seaters though) Big grin

Scawen, it is possible that you add in a near future some real support for controllers ? Like a bit of steering help (not 100% like keyboard maybe), and XInput ? In the near future, I mean like this year lol, I know that you have a lot of things to do first, but no real controller support is really absurd for a racing simulator. Not everyone can buy/connect his wheel before playing LFS.

EDIT: Bug report, when trying to assign a button for resolution, I selected my current resolution, and clicked the "assign" button, but it returned an error, saying that SHIFT+F10 was already assigned for that (legacy verification code to clean here Big grin )
I have 2 monitors, completely diferent size (and even not an standard resolution) and this patch works perfect.

Shift+F11 goes full screen on current monitor, which is really nice after all these years.

Shift+F12 gos full screen on my main monitor, but stays behind the task bar on the other monitor. I like this behavour, but it may be due to muy custom setup. My task bar IS NOT on the main monitor (you just have to drag it to the monitor you wantit to be), just in case you want to test this case.
Quote from nacim :Like a bit of steering help (not 100% like keyboard maybe)

Steering help... why?

Quote from nacim :and XInput ?

I guess XInput needs to be supported at some point. Is that only for a Microsoft game controller or is it for steering wheels as well?

Quote from nacim :but no real controller support is really absurd for a racing simulator. Not everyone can buy/connect his wheel before playing LFS.

I must admit I have no idea what you are talking about here! Schwitz

Quote from nacim :EDIT: Bug report, when trying to assign a button for resolution, I selected my current resolution, and clicked the "assign" button, but it returned an error, saying that SHIFT+F10 was already assigned for that (legacy verification code to clean here Big grin )

Why is it a bug? It sounds like you are trying to assign SHIFT+F9 to your desktop resolution mode but you don't need to because it is already assigned to SHIFT+F10.
Quote from Scawen :Steering help... why?

To stop horrible oversteering when going full left/right on the joystick. At least add it as an option. I'm trained to use LFS with a controller, but my older brother that plays Dirt Rally and Project CARS found this really unbearable, and I understand it really much. I'm using my older brother as an example, because he's really on the targeted player base for LFS actually, but he's discovering the game so I can give you he's feedback as a new player.

Quote from Scawen :I guess XInput needs to be supported at some point. Is that only for a Microsoft game controller or is it for steering wheels as well?

Nearly every controller now on the market uses XInput. And with XInput you could add some force feedback with controllers, and make a default profile for controller so that new player can enjoy LFS with a controller, just plug and play. Wink

Quote from Scawen :Why is it a bug? It sounds like you are trying to assign SHIFT+F9 to your desktop resolution mode but you don't need to because it is already assigned to SHIFT+F10.

Yeah that's true actually, I guess this button is useless for me then lol Big grin
Quote from Whiskey :Shift+F12 gos full screen on my main monitor, but stays behind the task bar on the other monitor. I like this behavour, but it may be due to muy custom setup. My task bar IS NOT on the main monitor (you just have to drag it to the monitor you wantit to be), just in case you want to test this case.

I confirm I see the taskbar over LFS if it is on the other monitor. I guess this is OK. Smile

When the taskbar is on the main monitor in a multi-monitor setup it is sometimes visible over LFS but I can make it disappear by clicking on it then clicking back to LFS. This seems like a slight bug in Windows 7.
Quote from Scawen :When the taskbar is on the main monitor in a multi-monitor setup it is sometimes visible over LFS but I can make it disappear by clicking on it then clicking back to LFS. This seems like a slight bug in Windows 7.

Now that LFS still receives input while not on focus that is the smallest of the issues hehe
nacim, the "Analogue steer smooth" on the "Misc" settings can help with control pad steering. I always thought it odd that this setting is not under "Controls", though.
When I first ran the patch and switched to full screen by pressing Shift + F4, I needed to set the native screen resolution again, because it defaulted to 640 x 480. Could it be made so when you go to a full screen mode for the first time after updating, it sets the full screen mode to your desktop resolution? It's not a big deal but it'd save some time of having to go to the screen options and setting it again.

Also, when I switch to borderless mode by pressing Shift + F11 and restart LFS, it falls back to a windowed mode. I'd expect it to stay in the mode I have set it before exiting LFS.
Quote from nacim :To stop horrible oversteering when going full left/right on the joystick. At least add it as an option. I'm trained to use LFS with a controller, but my older brother that plays Dirt Rally and Project CARS found this really unbearable, and I understand it really much. I'm using my older brother as an example, because he's really on the targeted player base for LFS actually, but he's discovering the game so I can give you he's feedback as a new player.

When you say steering help, do you mean smoothing out the inputs so they aren't so jerky, or what? I use Xbox360 controller as well, and maybe in FO8 or LX6 this would help, but maybe not...

Quote from nacim :Nearly every controller now on the market uses XInput. And with XInput you could add some force feedback with controllers, and make a default profile for controller so that new player can enjoy LFS with a controller, just plug and play. Wink

Are you using XBCD drivers? I use those so I have split axis, unfortunately this confuses other games that do use XInput and don't have any way for "other" controllers. I had to do some really funky stuff to get my controller working on both LFS and Rocket League.

@Scawen, XInput support would be really really nice to make it so we don't have to jump through hoops to get controllers working correctly (throttle/brake split axis is really the only major issue, but it is quite major).
Quote from PeterN :nacim, the "Analogue steer smooth" on the "Misc" settings can help with control pad steering. I always thought it odd that this setting is not under "Controls", though.

I know that, thanks, it really helps driving but it's not preventing any kind of over-oversteering, the joystick is still used like a wheel (while I'm at 300km/h with BF1, I can turn my joystick full left and the wheels will go full left too, that's not how it should behave with a controller).

Quote from pik_d :When you say steering help, do you mean smoothing out the inputs so they aren't so jerky, or what? I use Xbox360 controller as well, and maybe in FO8 or LX6 this would help, but maybe not...

I actually mean it more like a oversteering help, so you don't have to be extremely careful with the joystick and treat it like a wheel, so you can use like like a joystick, like any other racing game.
@Scawen : To really see what joystick should behave (because I know I'm not really explaining it correctly, everything is in the feel, hard to describe, and even harder not in my native language), try games like Dirt Rally, Project CARS, Trackmania, or maybe a simple Grand Theft Auto (IV or V). Wink
Quote from Flame CZE :When I first ran the patch and switched to full screen by pressing Shift + F4, I needed to set the native screen resolution again, because it defaulted to 640 x 480. Could it be made so when you go to a full screen mode for the first time after updating, it sets the full screen mode to your desktop resolution? It's not a big deal but it'd save some time of having to go to the screen options and setting it again.

That shouldn't really happen quite as badly as you suggest. If you last closed the old version in a window then you update to K6, if you press SHIFT+F4 at that point it should go back to the last full screen mode you used in the old version.

That does happen to me if I run an old version then come back to K6. So it sounds as if you used 640 x 480 mode last time you went full screen in K5.

I do see a bug that the F9 assignment seems to be defaulting to "unknown" but it is supposed to default to 1024x768.
For me K6 also started in 640x480 before I even tried to fiddle with borderless windows. And I was certainly at my native desktop res just before applying the patch.
Quote from nacim :I know that, thanks, it really helps driving but it's not preventing any kind of over-oversteering, the joystick is still used like a wheel (while I'm at 300km/h with BF1, I can turn my joystick full left and the wheels will go full left too, that's not how it should behave with a controller).

I actually mean it more like a oversteering help, so you don't have to be extremely careful with the joystick and treat it like a wheel, so you can use like like a joystick, like any other racing game.
@Scawen : To really see what joystick should behave (because I know I'm not really explaining it correctly, everything is in the feel, hard to describe, and even harder not in my native language), try games like Dirt Rally, Project CARS, Trackmania, or maybe a simple Grand Theft Auto (IV or V). Wink

I think you mean analog stick, not a joystick.

This is a joystick:

Analog stick is what's on your gamepad.
Quote from Flame CZE :When I first ran the patch ... it defaulted to 640 x 480.

Quote from troy :For me K6 also started in 640x480 before I even tried to fiddle with borderless windows. And I was certainly at my native desktop res just before applying the patch.

OK, I think I see what this is now.

1) In the old version you had a mode selected that is now invalid - one of the ones down the left side, instead of one of the refresh rate buttons. Those had refresh rate 0 Hz in them. If you had selected one that is still valid now, then the bug would not have come up.

2) Can it be that your computers don't support the 1024 x 768 resolution? Because when I reproduce the bug as described in (1) I end up in 1024 x 768 16-bit mode. Not 640 x 480...
Quote from pik_d :I think you mean analog stick, not a joystick.
This is a joystick:
Analog stick is what's on your gamepad.

Yeah, thanks, it french we call it "joystick" sometimes, even if that's not the appropriate word, thanks for the reminder lol Big grin

Scawen, why the game doesn't start on borderless again when I closed it that way ? That's annoying to press shift+F10 at each start. Shrug
Quote from Scawen :1) In the old version you had a mode selected that is now invalid - one of the ones down the left side, instead of one of the refresh rate buttons. Those had refresh rate 0 Hz in them. If you had selected one that is still valid now, then the bug would not have come up.

2) Can it be that your computers don't support the 1024 x 768 resolution? Because when I reproduce the bug as described in (1) I end up in 1024 x 768 16-bit mode. Not 640 x 480...

Maybe it's because LFS doesn't show any 16-bit modes for me?
Quote from Flame CZE :Maybe it's because LFS doesn't show any 16-bit modes for me?

Yes, looks like that's it. Thanks.

I'll get those two bugs fixed tomorrow. They shouldn't cause any problem except when updating.

And I'll have a look at saving the selected borderless window mode in the cfg file.

Looks like there are no actual problems with the borderless window modes so that is good! Smile
Tried the patch and its working great. I'm having more fps than using SoftTH while borderless fullscreen.

Now the only thing that's missing is to have the ability to use different resolutions due to different monitors.

1. Vertical doesn't exist at all
2. Horizontal which now can only be different between the sides(both of them use the same now) and the center.
But eehhh .. Why doesn't I go back to windowed mode again when I press shift-F11 again? (W7 Pro64).

I can "toggle" with any mainstream browser with F11 between windowed and borderless as many times as I wish.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6K2 (now K26)
(462 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG