The online racing simulator
What about the "Best F1 Overtake Ever" when Hakkinen went one side of Rosset and Schumacher the other? I've done the same thing. It's not great, it's just overtaking very shortly after lapping. Mika would have been shit if he'd lifted and waited, or just following Michael blindly, but to do what he did just required a novices racing brain or better.

So Kimi moves 2 inches to the right, and Lewis locks his brakes a bit like every driver does in qualifying anyway? What is so special? He was, if I recall, 3 or 4 seconds a lap quicker than Kimi at that point. I've locked my brakes whilst passing people, but I'm not exactly a legend.
The Mika move at Spa 2000 was more about Häkkinen outsmarting Schumacher than Häkkinen being a genius. Schumacher was blocking like hell, forcing him onto the grass and he never considered Häkkinen would do what he did, but he did just that but I can agree to a point where you're coming from.

In relation to your further anti-Hamilton march :

You're too much of an anti-elitist. You speak your mind as-if you believe someone could just drop you in an F1 car and you'd be winning races. Infact, you make it seem like anyone could be dropped in an F1 car and win races. This cannot be disproved but it would be incredibly naive to actually believe this..

I don't know, maybe you're a bit jealous (nothing wrong with that) so you like to play down F1 drivers abilities because you believe that with more money you'd be there too but the reality is, if you saw F1 drivers skill level as actual competition for yourself, you'd respect all of them. The fact you seem to give off this self-adoring flavour suggests to me that actually you doubt your own skill.

When all is said and done, it's fine to be jealous of others because it shows you have high standards you've set for yourself, but it's not fine for jealousy to become this envious poison that taints everything you say and think.
Quote from tristancliffe :...but I'm not exactly a legend.

Jaffa cakes.
Hacksaw + steering wheel.

You are a legend in your own right
#305 - CSF
Quote from BlueFlame :Well I suppose you need someone else to replace Schumacher inherited dominatrix syndicate.

D'oh, I didn't mean Vettel winning 4x, I was meaning 4=for. derrrrrrrr go go Felipe gooooooooooo woooooooooooooooooooooooo
Quote from BlueFlame :In relation to your further anti-Hamilton march :

You're too much of an anti-elitist. You speak your mind as-if you believe someone could just drop you in an F1 car and you'd be winning races. Infact, you make it seem like anyone could be dropped in an F1 car and win races. This cannot be disproved but it would be incredibly naive to actually believe this..

I don't know, maybe you're a bit jealous (nothing wrong with that) so you like to play down F1 drivers abilities because you believe that with more money you'd be there too but the reality is, if you saw F1 drivers skill level as actual competition for yourself, you'd respect all of them. The fact you seem to give off this self-adoring flavour suggests to me that actually you doubt your own skill.

When all is said and done, it's fine to be jealous of others because it shows you have high standards you've set for yourself, but it's not fine for jealousy to become this envious poison that taints everything you say and think.

Of course I doubt my own skill!! I'm a nobody and a no-hoper really. I am just lucky enough to be able to prove that!!!!!! My one and only saving grace is that I thought about overtaking Antonio Felix da Costa into T1 at Snetterton in the wet. It turned out his engine was misfiring at that point, which is the only reason I wasn't losing ground to him (like during every other millisecond of the race). Hell, he was quicker than me under the safety car.

I honestly don't think it is jealously. If it was, why would I admire drivers like Alonso, Vettel, Button, Hulkenberg etc etc? And even with Hamilton I accept that he's fecking good (they all are). But I don't look at him, in F1 terms (relative to his peers, past and present) as being that special.

Okay, so the granny thing is clearly an exaggaration. What about, regards that Monza pass, that if Kimi had been 3 or 4 seconds a lap faster he'd have managed to overtake Lewis just like that (possibly without the lockup). In fact, if the roles were reversed, Hamilton would have crashed into Kimi because he rarely (never) knows when to concede a corner.

Any F1 driver, including the shit ones (relative term, even Inoue is better than I could ever hope to be), could have pulled off that move in a car that was 3 - 4 seconds a lap quicker. All F1 drivers can brake late. Most can brake late AND hit an apex. That's what F1 cars and F1 drivers do.

It's like in Football. If a team (lets say Manchester United) is called "shit" after a poor game, they are still amazing compared to 10 years playing on their local village green with jumpers for goal posts. I think Lewis is nothing that special most of the time (and shockingly weak some of the time), but in relation to his peers.

The hype he had (and has had since) didn't endear him to me either, especially as most of his lauded overtaking moves in F3 and GP2 required his rivals to avoid the accident. In my book a great overtake is one that the other person can do nothing about, and Hamilton can do them, but very very rarely.
Hulkenburg special but Hamilton isn't lol, Tristan watch 2007 season again explain on what planet a rookie has ever achieved anything close to what that is.

Last season was a consistent season for Hamilton, in the parts he could control the technical retirements and getting hit by a German driver you think is more special where just the things that made it seem worse then it was, all of which while he was in the lead when they occurred.

Also keep in mind in the middle of the season the car was basically nothing on the Ferraris and Redbulls.
I didn't say that I thought Hulkenberg was particularly special, just emphasising that I admire F1 drivers both at the front and the middle of the grid (and the back of the grid too).

Do you think the fact that Hamilton did more pre-season testing for 2007 than most current F1 drivers acheive in over 2 full seasons (including testing) might have counted for that. Plus having the best car. And, undoubtedly, 2007 was his best season. In fact, Montreal 2007 was his best race. He appears to have got slightly worse (with a few exceptions) (relative to his peers) gradually since his debut.

I don't see him winning another title for a while. He's just not complete enough. If he does win a race in 2013 it'll either because his car is another Brawn, or he has a tyre advantage on the day (his engineers finding the sweet spot and strategy that the others can't attain).

And if you take out the raw results out of 2007, and merely compare him to his teammate (who was struggling with the tyres and the team for whatever reason), he wouldn't have made that major an impression had he started in a Torro Rosso or a Marussia etc.
Quote from tristancliffe :I didn't say that I thought Hulkenberg was particularly special, just emphasising that I admire F1 drivers both at the front and the middle of the grid (and the back of the grid too).

Do you think the fact that Hamilton did more pre-season testing for 2007 than most current F1 drivers acheive in over 2 full seasons (including testing) might have counted for that. Plus having the best car. And, undoubtedly, 2007 was his best season. In fact, Montreal 2007 was his best race. He appears to have got slightly worse (with a few exceptions) (relative to his peers) gradually since his debut.

I don't see him winning another title for a while. He's just not complete enough. If he does win a race in 2013 it'll either because his car is another Brawn, or he has a tyre advantage on the day (his engineers finding the sweet spot and strategy that the others can't attain).

Every other rookie before him had pretty much the same mileage, now you could say he was using the best car, but look who was also using that car, the guy who most would assume is the best driver at the time and even today, that point is invalid.

Hamiltons first races where slower but consistent and as the season rolled on more he become more of a match for Alonso till the point where he was pretty much turning the tables on him by the end.

I think Hamiltons first season looks soo much better because back in those times there was less cars you had to deal with in a race when you where a front runner, and there was also less you could do as passing was soo bloody hard, compared to now, its also the exact reason Vettel is looking better then he did in 2010 when his weak racecraft was highlighted.

Hamilton i think is more rounded off since his 2011 failure of a season barely any of the same mistakes in 2012, but give him the fastest car and I think you will see him do what Vettel has been doing for the last two years, Mclarens on off form just makes it look worse then it is.
alonso is boss

/end
Quote from Rappa Z :http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105876

Maybe a bluff, but surely if you are Ferrari you always aim for the win?

McLaren said they'd be happy with a points finish. Hamilton said he';d be happy with top 10.... it's same old pre-season blurb.

I see Tristan couldn't quite swallow the Senna quote about Fullerton (the only guy he never could quite beat making the quote as valid as it could be) and is still moaning about Hamilton, even pre-empting an excuse of how he could win in a Merc. Some things never change on here lol
I just never believed Senna on that score. It was a political answer, rather than the truth.

He also said karting was the purist form of motorsport - he didn't mean the racing or the dynamics or the closeness to the chassis, but it was a dig at the amount of politics in F1 at the time. Go-karterists seem to insist it was because karts are so amazing.
Quote from tristancliffe :I just never believed Senna on that score. It was a political answer, rather than the truth.

He also said karting was the purist form of motorsport - he didn't mean the racing or the dynamics or the closeness to the chassis, but it was a dig at the amount of politics in F1 at the time. Go-karterists seem to insist it was because karts are so amazing.

Well, karts are bloody amazing hence why a large percentage of F1 drivers, MotoGP riders, superbikers, GT drivers, rally drivers, motocrossers etc... have one (or more). In enough time you will realise this too and end up with one no doubt.

We you are right on wrong on Senna's quote about karting. He never actually said 'karting was the purist form of motorsport' (I mistakenly in the past thought he did). his quotes on karting in the Senna film were more about politics you are right there. However he did say karting was the 'most breathtaking sport in the world. more so than F1'. Take that as you want, he said it.

On Terry Fullerton - keep telling yourself that was political if it pleases you, but of all his opponents in the world, Fullerton (well accepted as an all time karting great) was someone Senna never really could get a grip on.
I believe he said "Karting was pure driving, real racing. And that…that makes me happy", which was a political statement.

I yes, I do believe he said what he said about Fullerton because there was no way on Earth he would consider saying an F1 driver was vaguely his equal.
Thanks for the huge image.
I felt it was extremely informative and useful. Plus you can see the "Imsexyandiknowit" hash tag on the lotus.
It will be interesting season, i wish Valtteri Bottas all the best in his first F1 race.. first of many
It's time for the pre-2013 season questionnaire:

1. Who will win drivers' world championship:
2. Which team will win constructors' world championship:
3. Who will score more points in 2013. Bottas or Maldonado:
4. What is the best race finishing result for Adrian Sutil in 2013:
5. Do you think Sergio Perez will win at least one race in 2013:
6. Who will score more points in 2013. Hamilton or Rosberg:
7. First driver you think will lose his drive during 2013 (miss at least one race):
8. Will Caterham or Marussia score points in 2013:
9. Do you think Massa will win at least one race in 2013?
10. Does Kubica drive F1 car before the last race?
11: Winner of Australian gp:
12. Winner of Monaco gp:
13. How many points will the dwc winning driver have at the end of the season:

I take the answers on thursday and at the end of the year we see who did best.

My answers:
1. Vettel
2. RBR
3. Bottas
4. 4th
5. No
6. Hamilton
7. Bianchi
8. No
9. No
10. No
11. Button
12. Webber
13. 292
1. Who will win drivers' world championship:
2. Which team will win constructors' world championship:
3. Who will score more points in 2013. Bottas or Maldonado:
4. What is the best race finishing result for Adrian Sutil in 2013:
5. Do you think Sergio Perez will win at least one race in 2013:
6. Who will score more points in 2013. Hamilton or Rosberg:
7. First driver you think will lose his drive during 2013 (miss at least one race):
8. Will Caterham or Marussia score points in 2013:
9. Do you think Massa will win at least one race in 2013?
10. Does Kubica drive F1 car before the last race?
11: Winner of Australian gp:
12. Winner of Monaco gp:
13. How many points will the dwc winning driver have at the end of the season:

1.Vettel
2.RBR
3.Botnado
4.1st
5.no
6.HAM
7.GRO/GARde
8.yea
9.no
10.no
11.RÄi
12.BUT
1. Who will win drivers' world championship: Alonso
2. Which team will win constructors' world championship: McLaren
3. Who will score more points in 2013. Bottas or Maldonado: Bottas
4. What is the best race finishing result for Adrian Sutil in 2013: 5th
5. Do you think Sergio Perez will win at least one race in 2013: Yes
6. Who will score more points in 2013. Hamilton or Rosberg: Hamilton
7. First driver you think will lose his drive during 2013 (miss at least one race): VDG
8. Will Caterham or Marussia score points in 2013: Probably not.
9. Do you think Massa will win at least one race in 2013? No
10. Does Kubica drive F1 car before the last race? No
11: Winner of Australian gp: Button
12. Winner of Monaco gp: Vettel
13. How many points will the dwc winning driver have at the end of the season: 305
1. Who will win drivers' world championship: The winner
2. Which team will win constructors' world championship: The winner
3. Who will score more points in 2013. Bottas or Maldonado: Whoever score more points
4. What is the best race finishing result for Adrian Sutil in 2013: Somewhere between 1st and 22nd
5. Do you think Sergio Perez will win at least one race in 2013: Only if he finishes 1st
6. Who will score more points in 2013. Hamilton or Rosberg: The person with more points after Brazil
7. First driver you think will lose his drive during 2013 (miss at least one race): Razia
8. Will Caterham or Marussia score points in 2013: Only if they finish in the top 10
9. Do you think Massa will win at least one race in 2013?: Only if he wins
10. Does Kubica drive F1 car before the last race?: He already drove one for 76 races among other times
11: Winner of Australian gp: Guy who crosses the line first
12. Winner of Monaco gp: The person who wins
13. How many points will the dwc winning driver have at the end of the season: More than everyone else

hehe
1. Who will win drivers' world championship: Vettel
2. Which team will win constructors' world championship: RBR
3. Who will score more points in 2013. Bottas or Maldonado: Dolan
4. What is the best race finishing result for Adrian Sutil in 2013: 6th
5. Do you think Sergio Perez will win at least one race in 2013: No
7. First driver you think will lose his drive during 2013 (miss at least one race): Bianchi
8. Will Caterham or Marussia score points in 2013: No
10. Does Kubica drive F1 car before the last race? Never
11: Winner of Australian gp: Vettel
12. Winner of Monaco gp: Alonso
13. How many points will the dwc winning driver have at the end of the season: 299
Quote from Hyperactive :It's time for the pre-2013 season questionnaire:

1. Who will win drivers' world championship: Button
2. Which team will win constructors' world championship: McLaren
3. Who will score more points in 2013. Bottas or Maldonado: Bottas
4. What is the best race finishing result for Adrian Sutil in 2013: 8th
5. Do you think Sergio Perez will win at least one race in 2013: Yes
7. First driver you think will lose his drive during 2013 (miss at least one race): van der Garde
8. Will Caterham or Marussia score points in 2013: Yes, Caterham on more than one occasion
10. Does Kubica drive F1 car before the last race? Yes, but not at a race weekend
11: Winner of Australian gp: Button
12. Winner of Monaco gp: Webber
13. How many points will the dwc winning driver have at the end of the season: 304

Formula 1 Season 2013
(1242 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG