The online racing simulator
Well then I guess we just have a different veiw of what is a GREAT sportman.
And actually, I think drawing parallells to a game is very much of a point, because it proves the way people thinks, and in my eyes - divides the good from the great.
Quote from The Very End :Well then I guess we just have a different veiw of what is a GREAT sportman.
And actually, I think drawing parallells to a game is very much of a point, because it proves the way people thinks, and in my eyes - divides the good from the great.

I'm not talking about 'great sportsman'. I'm talking about the realities of sport.
It's ironic that people on a motorsport forum, fans of motorsport have a dim view of 'bending' the rules slightly. Motor racing is the most notorious sport for it out of them all.

TVE, when you've spent the last 4 years training, winning is everything. If you did the 4 years, turned up at the olympics and said "it's not important to win" I would laugh in your face, and then do whatever it takes to beat you. No-one remembers the guy who came last, even if he was morally superior, which he isn't. There's no rule against what the cyclist done, so where's the problem? It's not like he's bending the rules, there were none to be bent.
Quote from Intrepid :I'm not talking about 'great sportsman'. I'm talking about the realities of sport.

There are a lot of athlets / sportsmen that does their sport for a living, which has no other work to return to, but even so most of them does not chose the easy way out - which is the essence of this discussion regarding the badminton players.

Also, what should people think of a sport, where we encourage unsportsmanship? Did you watch the badminton game that launched the whole discussion? If it's a norm, and we accept stupid playing like this, well then it sooner or later will mean the end of the sport. People want to see at people doing sports at the very edge of what's possible, and athletic levels, not a match where someone tried to do as many fouls as possible to get easier matches afterwards.

But, you got one point, the rules need to be more clear about this, so it won't be a question in the future.

Edit: And there is different WAYS of winning. The whole case is that people should play fair and square, and play by their own human limits / at best effort.
These players were allready favorites, and maybe even could have won the whole thing. So why did they try to foul their way out so they could get an easier match-making? It's silly, and in my eyes not very true to the sport. If they had just played normal, it would not been a problem at all, but they did not, therfor actions had to be taken to ensure a good championship, both in terms of the players but also the veiwers.

And please, "nobody remember the last". Ever heared about Eddy the Eagle? Or the black guy with-name-I-canot-remember who whent at ski with the elite? He came like xx minutes behind the rest, still the crowd and the other competetors loved that guy, because he did genuinly LOVE the sport.

So ok, some does whatever it takes to win, not giving a shit about other people or what peopel thinks about it or the sports future, and some people love their sport with passion and strives to find a ballance (between winning and sportmanship).

Edit 2: And regarding "there were no rules to bend", that's a point yes, but at same time, as someone quoted above, they voilated the very essence or OL and what the athlets should strive to accomplish.
Quote :In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams

Quote from TFalke55 :Or if you use a group system, draw the knock-out stages from one pool, sothat noone gains an advantage from the group position.

that still leads to situations where eg one team is guaranteed to advance and 2 or 3 teams are still competing for the 2nd spot
one of them may have to play against the team that is certain to advance who have no reason to use any energy on the game making life a lot easier for the team pitted against them
group stages are fundamentally unfair and no disqualifying players for using that to their advantage will ever change that
Ledecky is only 15 they said. She doesn't know what she's doing they said.

#207 - CSF
Wonder if the American's will be as suspicious of her as they were of the Chinese girl.....................
I've just finished watching the Tennis, and I'm an Andy Murray convert. I didn't like the guy, but his display at Wimbledon and the spirit he just showed to beat Djokovic has won me over. The crowd were once again fantastic, and it's all setup for revenge against Federer, bring on Sunday.
And I do believe that at least 1 F1 driver has been told to crash by his team.

The rules get pushed to the limits. Much the same as bankers and fraud, except that generally only sportspeople get punished, the others just get million dollar bonus's and knighthoods.

And now a new low, banned because of your partner, was he black or something ?
Quote from Racer X NZ :And now a new low, banned because of your partner, was he black or something ?

No, her partner is a high ranked Nazi from Rostock. She was policewomen and got fired because of that last year. She was roumored to get into the sports development program of the armed forces. The scandal is not that she was sent home but that she was nominated for the Games.
And this party is banned in Germany ? No

So now only certain political beliefs are allowed at the games. So what else shouldn't be allowed, I'm interested to hear.

Or is it really the Zion games ? Check the logo.

Personally this is disgusting, but really describes the Olympic spirit.
#212 - CSF
Quote from Racer X NZ :
And now a new low, banned because of your partner, was he black or something ?

:nut: The world according to Racer X, Neo Nazi = fine, Black = ERRRMAAAAHGGGAAAAD ban from Olympics.
Quote from Intrepid :Have you ever competed in a sport where your actually livelihood is on the table? Where you don't know whether you will have the money to get to the next event or your next meal?

And comparing to LFS is a complete nonsense. Motorsport is jam packed full of rule-benders.

You can try and compete sport in the 'spirit of the game', but good luck trying to get funding. Yes, always try to improve rule enforcement, but don't judge the athletes.

So someone who bribes the judges is 'a great sportsperson' who was just doing what it takes to get the gold, and should be congratulated for embracing the Spirit of the Games and for thinking outside the box?
Quote from Racer X NZ :And this party is banned in Germany ? No

So now only certain political beliefs are allowed at the games. So what else shouldn't be allowed, I'm interested to hear.

Or is it really the Zion games ? Check the logo.

Personally this is disgusting, but really describes the Olympic spirit.

The party survived due to the failure of German authorities. Crimes were commited by the spies, which made the rest invalid. It is very difficult to ban a party in reaction to the banning policy of the NSDAP at the End of the Weimar Republic. It de facto is the political wing of several forbidden Nazi associations in Germany. It is NOT just a right wing party like others, it is a Nazi party, which acts intelligent enough to not get banned.

And yeah only certain beliefs are allowed at the games. If the beliefs says to kill people just for their outward appearance or their religious beliefs this must be kept away from the Olympics. Such groups may not gain a opportunity for advertisments from such an event. They are too much influenced by 36 on my mind anyways.

Back to the Games.

Thrilling finish at the women's triatlon! Great race overall great finish to watch!
Go Lithuania!

I wish to see Queen Lebron cry if USA will lose
Brutal game in womens tennis.
Oh?
Any more info, videos about it?
Quote from Crashgate3 :So someone who bribes the judges is 'a great sportsperson' who was just doing what it takes to get the gold, and should be congratulated for embracing the Spirit of the Games and for thinking outside the box?

Bribing the judges is clearly against the rules and I haven't said anything againt better rule enforcement. But I have absolutely no trouble with sportsmen bending the rules or flying close to the wind. Everyone seems to forget that these sports... 'people'... are having millions spent on them and their livelihoods depend on their performance. I wouldn't think twice about screwing you or anyone over with a bit of unsportmen-like behavour. Dog eat dog.

The objective is to get gold. Not to play fair and be all nicey nicey buddy buddy be my friiiieeennnndddd nonsense.
94 99 final score... Kobe and LeBron had a moment of brown trousers...
Damn that was epic. Proud of our guys.

Couple of stupid and careless mistakes towards the end as well, otherwise there could have even been an upset. (Although USA played horrible on defense.) Hopefully they can keep this up and take it to Russians next. Way too many turnovers though... When will this stop haunting us.
Well Jasikevicius was imagining that he plays in Panathinaikos and he tries to give a ball for Batiste, not for last-chance-center which is inexperienced... Also Kalnietis is not having his moments this olympics...
Quote from TexasLTU :Go Lithuania!

I wish to see Queen Lebron cry if USA will lose

Shame it didn't stick in the end. Hope you're saving it for later stages to provide some star spangled butthurt.
Did anyone watch the Robson/Murray v Lisicki/Kas mixed doubles semi? Awesome down to the last point.
Quote from The Very End :Oh?
Any more info, videos about it?

Not much to watch when game goes 6-0 6-1 in Finals.

But here is celebration after game.

Games of the XXX Olympiad - London 2012
(395 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG