The online racing simulator
Ah god damnit! Norway lost to South Korea in handball, or well, draw - which is not good for us in our current situation.
I must admit Korea was a much better team today, the only reason why we did not lose with like 8 goals is because they were very unlucky with their throws and margins.

Bitches can't play...dawg!
Finally a gold.
I really dig the cinematography all those new camera system add, like those 2 km cable cams at the Eaton rowing lake.

btw, wouldn't a Race Of The Champions style motorsport contest fit in quite good? I mean we have stuff like pistol shooting too
Motosport should never be an Olympic sport. Keep them as far away from it as possible

On a side note, spent the day in London yesterday. Scawan was having a solo gig at Hammersmith Apollo.

Not very busy at all considering. I was expecting chaos but it was like a winter's day. not many tourists. Wouldn't want to be a business right in London... getting a right kicking. So much for the Olympic legacy #proudtobebritish
Quote from ACCAkut :btw, wouldn't a Race Of The Champions style motorsport contest fit in quite good? I mean we have stuff like pistol shooting too

Quote from Intrepid :Motosport should never be an Olympic sport. Keep them as far away from it as possible

There was motorboat racing at the London Olympics 1908. The IOC later agreed on criteria an olympic dicipline must fulfill to get added to the Olympic program. For example the sport must be held organised competition on all five continents (Wintersports on three of five) and the generated performance must come from the human body (with the exeption of Equestrian). FIM is a full IOC member and the FIA is a trial member.

Also it is very problematic with motorsports because of the fact that it is a rolling advertisement show, but at the Olympic games there is a strict advertisement ban at the sport venue itself. Remember the opening ceremony - the logo of the Mini was painted over, so was the logo of the cell phones (Samsung obviously). Since the automobile industry couldn't market that succes they are not interested in doing it either.
Even Bernie's try four or five years ago to hold a London Grand Prix early August 2012 of this year folded.

Quote from ACCAkut :I really dig the cinematography all those new camera system add, like those 2 km cable cams at the Eaton rowing lake.

Well at least it works in Eaton, unlike the camera system at Duisburg
Quote from TFalke55 :Also it is very problematic with motorsports because of the fact that it is a rolling advertisement show, but at the Olympic games there is a strict advertisement ban at the sport venue itself. Remember the opening ceremony - the logo of the Mini was painted over

Don't understand that - BMW are a sponsor
Karting could work if they followed the FIA/CIK academy model but the problem is you wouldn't get many F1/WRC/GT boys racing because they'd most likely get beaten by the Ardigos/Fores/Thonons of the karting world. It;s just too complicated, and I wouldn't like to see. I like the fact motorsport isn't into the Olympic thing.
How dependent on the team and equipment are the other Olympic disciplines? Do they get supplied with identical equipment or are they free to buy the best and then tinker and 'tune' like motorsport teams can? I know the driver is still the main factor, but there's a lot less dependence on the participating individual compared to other sports.

It could work, but I think the teams would have to be supplied with identical cars. This would also let a manufacturer sponsor the event without having to have the brand plastered gaudily over everything.
Quote from J@tko :Don't understand that - BMW are a sponsor

Well, it is this Olympic hypocracy. Since they are not calling them sponsors but supporters they don't have their logos at the venue. At the venues only the logos of the timekeeper (which is Omega), the organising body of the dicipline (e.g. IAAF in athletics, FINA in water sports or FIFA in football) and the logo of the clothes supplier on the clothes may appear. You can see it best in
football when you compare the adboards at the olympic competition to the one at the EURO or the World Cup. This also caused trouble in Vancouver 2010, where Adidas had a too big logo by some milimeters. Teams supplied by Adidas had to tape it over. Adidas shipped over new clothes with tinier logos.

BMW for example is not a worldwide supporter. Germany is supported by Audi, for example. It differs from nation to nation.

Quote from Crashgate3 :How dependent on the team and equipment are the other Olympic disciplines? Do they get supplied with identical equipment or are they free to buy the best and then tinker and 'tune' like motorsport teams can? I know the driver is still the main factor, but there's a lot less dependence on the participating individual compared to other sports.

There are different boat builders, shoe manufactors, sled builders, and and and, who make the equipment for the national teams. One national team is usually on identical equipment. Exept for maybe ski jumping however, all olympic diciplines are not dependent on the material you are competing on. That's why the shark swimmsuit was forbidden because one gained to much of an advantage.
Quote from TFalke55 :Well, it is this Olympic hypocracy. Since they are not calling them sponsors but supporters they don't have their logos at the venue. At the venues only the logos of the timekeeper (which is Omega), the organising body of the dicipline (e.g. IAAF in athletics, FINA in water sports or FIFA in football) and the logo of the clothes supplier on the clothes may appear. You can see it best in
football when you compare the adboards at the olympic competition to the one at the EURO or the World Cup. This also caused trouble in Vancouver 2010, where Adidas had a too big logo by some milimeters. Teams supplied by Adidas had to tape it over. Adidas shipped over new clothes with tinier logos.

BMW for example is not a worldwide supporter. Germany is supported by Audi, for example. It differs from nation to nation.

And yet if you watch the cycling time trial (like I am at the moment) all the cars are 3-series estates without the BMW badge taped over or anything. And IIRC there's BMW logos on several posters at the Olympic Park.

(Not disagreeing with you, agreeing your point about stupid hypocracy :P)
Quote from Crashgate3 :How dependent on the team and equipment are the other Olympic disciplines? Do they get supplied with identical equipment or are they free to buy the best and then tinker and 'tune' like motorsport teams can? I know the driver is still the main factor, but there's a lot less dependence on the participating individual compared to other sports.

It could work, but I think the teams would have to be supplied with identical cars. This would also let a manufacturer sponsor the event without having to have the brand plastered gaudily over everything.

It could only be possibly done with karts because a majority of racing drivers have experience of them. To supply lottery engines/karts is very simple. The Rotax World Finals do it every year, though there is always guys that might get a dodgy engine. It could be done, I just don't think it should.
#162 - CSF
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Yep I just heard that he is a complete and utter arsehole that had previously driven people to near suicide through systematic bullying. He deserves everything coming to him. Although I still don't think Tom Daley should have called him out on it and made it public, just block the idiot.

The Death threats came a long time after the initial post and Daley had turned his female army on the guy. It also came after the guy apologized and pleaded with Daley to call off his fans, which of course never came. The guy went a little bit mental after that. He was also saying his mother had died, which tallies in with him living in a doss house, so it sounds like a tough life might be about to get even tougher.
Quote from J@tko :And yet if you watch the cycling time trial (like I am at the moment) all the cars are 3-series estates without the BMW badge taped over or anything. And IIRC there's BMW logos on several posters at the Olympic Park.

(Not disagreeing with you, agreeing your point about stupid hypocracy :P)

Thought I saw Skodas at the road races. Cars are too similar these days especially when they are not in the focus. Didn't know about the Olympic Park though.
Quote from TFalke55 :Thought I saw Skodas at the road races. Cars are too similar these days especially when they are not in the focus. Didn't know about the Olympic Park though.

Yep definitely BMWs - I'm sure German TV will have lots of highlights of it as you won silver All the "taxis" for the competitors are 3-series. And the posters are all over the park with "Thanks to our sponsors......" with them all on it.
Quote from J@tko :Yep definitely BMWs - I'm sure German TV will have lots of highlights of it as you won silver All the "taxis" for the competitors are 3-series. And the posters are all over the park with "Thanks to our sponsors......" with them all on it.

Well cycling lost its shine. It was worth a thirty second reel as far as I have watched today. The rowing gold medal in the eight men boat overshined everything else. Even the silver in Judo got more attention.
That's low, damn low. Stupid unfair idiot players, hope they ban those ****ers for life. Those are the people that stains the inocence and fairplay / fairgame of the sport(s).
I mean okey if you don't take a match serious but loosing on purpose... that's really a very low style. One should feel honored to even be at the Olympics as it is such a great achievment in a sports life.
There is no excuse, no honor in what they are doing, disgrace and I hope to never see them again in a world championship of any sort!
Bit of a stupid system really - used to do it like this in the football World Cup but stopped after one match ground to a halt after both teams needed a draw to qualify (can't remember when, will try and find it). But yeah it's disgraceful, particularly when people have paid a small fortune to be there.
Quote from J@tko :Bit of a stupid system really - used to do it like this in the football World Cup but stopped after one match ground to a halt after both teams needed a draw to qualify (can't remember when, will try and find it). But yeah it's disgraceful, particularly when people have paid a small fortune to be there.

as long as you have a group stage in a fixed tournament with multiple spots to advance you cannot avoid it. There can always be the situation that you have qualified already and with a draw or a lost match would bring you easier matches. If there was only one spot open or if there was another draw of matches afterwards it could be stopped
Quote from TFalke55 :as long as you have a group stage in a fixed tournament with multiple spots to advance you cannot avoid it. There can always be the situation that you have qualified already and with a draw or a lost match would bring you easier matches. If there was only one spot open or if there was another draw of matches afterwards it could be stopped

We were just debating this at home, and yeah you can't do it purely for the qualification places (e.g. if you have 2 teams on 4 point and 2 teams on 1 point, and they play each other then the teams on 4 will play for a draw) but I don't think in a group with just 4 teams you can end up with a situation where both teams can afford to play for a loss or draw :| But yeah the World Cup changed to try and avoid it. I've not seen it since I've been watching football
Am I missing something here? You are there to win gold not to please the crowd. The idea is you do all you can to win gold. If the system means you have to throw games, then that's what you do. I have no problem with it. It's no different to a driver saving tyres or lowering engine revs.
Quote from Intrepid :Am I missing something here?

Yes. Yes you are.

Keep thinking, it'll come to you eventually.
Quote from The Moose :Keep thinking, it'll come to you eventually.

You have more patience than I do.

Games of the XXX Olympiad - London 2012
(395 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG