The online racing simulator
I've just came back home, so missed most of the ceremony. Gotta watch a replay later.

Dat Brazilian anthem is so funky!

Edit: Bye bye, fire!
Quote from KiRmelius :Gotta watch a replay later.

Trust me.. Not worth it.

This is about the best part with The Who
I actually liked the closing ceremony better than the opening, for the simple fact that it had actual performances of most of the songs, unlike the opening which was mostly recordings that a bunch of people danced to.

Whoever decided to include One Direction, however, should be killmurdered several times over.
Great olympics! Loved every minute of it!

Now to get worried for the next four years...
I thought it was pretty good. Some of it was really, really shit (and that's coming from a very patriotic person who thinks the whole thing is the best thing since sliced bread), thinking in particular of George Michael here. But quite alot of it was good in my opinion. The musical stuff at the beginning was really good, as it had a nice selection of lots of London/Olympic-y kinda music stuff, like Waterloo Sunset, West End Girls and Parklife. But then who the **** thought it was a good idea to put ****ing One ****ing Direction on, with their song about some pubescent girl who pouts in FB profile pictures and thinks she's ugly. How is that anything to do with the Olympics :doh:

The middle was the really rubbish bit, but it got steadily better towards the end I thought. Jesse J managed not to butcher We Will Rock You which is nice What I really don't get is the song choices of some people, George Michael didn't sing anything I'd even heard of, The Who played about 2 lines of My Generation and let some ginger dude sing Pinball Wizard, The Kaiser Chiefs did a cover, Annie Lennox did some song I'd never heard of - really not what I was expecting from a "Symphony of British Music". We're known all over the world for our passionate fans (see Grand Prix), and we're not passionate about anything more than sport and music, so why didn't they give us a sing-along if they're going to celebrate our music? Having been lucky enough to actually go to the Olympics there was a massive buzz everywhere, then they kinda ruined that with loads of rubbish songs when they could have picked ones everyone knew

Anyway, I think the whole games have been brilliant. I've seen so many people put on FB how amazing they think it's been, and especially on Super Saturday even people who aren't into sport were going pretty mad. Very proud to be British Got some tickets for the Paralympics too (which are INSANELY cheap) so looking forward to that too

P.S. Highlight of the day: Boris Johnson dancing to the Spice Girls.
I did also enjoy the Games in in general, although I didnt get to see even 1/8 of it. The few parts I managed to watch (outside of Jamaican track and field) was really entertaining, that mainly being the Swimming, rowing, sailing and the endurance track events.

I also must congratulate the US womens 4x100 team. Brilliant run from them beating the previous WR by some 4 tenths.

Also barely caught any of the closing ceremony. May have to go re-watch some of it.

Brazil 2016 here we come.
The best thing about this olympics was the coverage here on the BBC. I had 24 different HD channels at all times, with every single bit of action on at least 1 of those channels. Plus, BBC1HD was full of olympics during the day, showing loads of different sports, then had a full nearly 2 hour review show at night with highlights of that particular day. Cannae beat it.

Worst thing is dressage. Who the **** says horse dancing is a sport? The horse could go out without a jockey (rider, dancer, weirdo) and the horse would still do it's shitty dancing to the music.

Quote from DeKo :Worst thing is dressage. Who the **** says horse dancing is a sport? The horse could go out without a jockey (rider, dancer, weirdo) and the horse would still do it's shitty dancing to the music.

This is why I argue that Auto-Racing should be included. If that is a sport, then why not horse racing and auto racing and.. baseball
Quote from de Souza :Wow, our football boys could really learn a thing or two from our volleyball girls.

Yep.

Metenolone is an anabolic-androgen steroid which produces male-like characteristics, Steel said. While it increases strength it also leads to a deeper voice and more hair. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/o ... -gold-unlikely-to-succeed

Thanks for an extra gold, it's a bit like an aimbot, when your performance suddenly improves then questions get asked.
Good that she was pinged.

Also good that LFS has no drug testing...
Quote from dekojester :I actually liked the closing ceremony better than the opening, for the simple fact that it had actual performances of most of the songs, unlike the opening which was mostly recordings that a bunch of people danced to.

Sorry to piss on your chips but while there were some live vocals in the closing ceremony everything else was recorded. All the acts were miming. Even the marching band! Muse were miming, Kaiser Chiefs were miming, Elbow were miming, Madness were miming, etc.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Sorry to piss on your chips but while there were some live vocals in the closing ceremony everything else was recorded. All the acts were miming. Even the marching band! Muse were miming, Kaiser Chiefs were miming, Elbow were miming, Madness were miming, etc.

so it was like at every common concert On the positive side, the DVD of opening and closing ceremonies will have epic sound quality
Eh? I've never been to see a live band and been fobbed off with a recording. If you do you're seeing the wrong bands.
I doubt it would have been a very tight set if they had to actually play whilst being driven around on the back of a lorry.
the spice girls did sound more terrible than usual
so either it was live of prerecoded recently
I'd rather the illusion of actually performing than just seeing a bunch of dancers while the song is played into their ears. But that's just me. I don't like lip syncing as much as the next guy, but I'd rather have that than just 500 dancers.
At least the dancers are actually dancing. Unfortunately the band are dancing too when they should be playing. If anything they should've had more dancers!
Live performances are impossible, as tuning and preparing would take longer than the performance itself. Although I noticed a shining red LED light on one of The Who's amps, but they didn't sound like they were playing live.
Quote from KiRmelius :Live performances are impossible, as tuning and preparing would take longer than the performance itself.

Not with a crew that size and decent stage management it wouldn't. My girlfriend recently put on a show in a theatre with over 40 musicians playing everything from harp to marimba, some of them only on one tune, the sound crew took it all in their stride and it sounded excellent front of house. If she can do that I should hope an olympic ceremony crew can put on a handful of rock bands.

Games of the XXX Olympiad - London 2012
(395 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG