The online racing simulator
What lfs team needs is too tease lfs users dowsnt mather that they will realese new content in years but to show some respect for the comunity shoing something NEW
.. like 'new' progress report?! :uglyhamme
I think the Scirocco is crap car,that it is taking Scaven many many maaany years to complete the physics.
Yes it has to be that Scirocco is so bad he don't have even any progress report
to give out each month.
Actually i think Scirocco is so bad it has stopped LFS development completely and is stuck only in server side hacker protection.
I hope they start working on Yougo instead of Scirocco so they get some progress... yes that they should do.
Nice one, we wish.
That actually did take some minutes to photoshop I guess
that's what ill ever wanted and still wanting on LFS!
THE RING! kkk
I always wondered why the reverse configuration lap time was 8 minutes longer than the normal direction.
Quote from Specht77 :[IMG]http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/906149_441174669305264_1288887691_o.jpg[/IMG*]

For your sake and the sake of all your family i hope that is photoshoped otherwise i'm loaading the shotgun and flying to your home
No need for photoshop at all, just edit (psd?) file
Quote from Inouva :For your sake and the sake of all your family i hope that is photoshoped otherwise i'm loaading the shotgun and flying to your home

Trust me, if it was real, I would post download links everywhere
Quote from CarlLefrancois :so what they are using LFS to design the next Scirocco?

Notepad ?

The Nordschleife @ LFS, EPIC MASTER PICE !
"Who gives a crap if tyres dont milimetrically perform like real life?"
It would be nice to have some quick fixes to the current tyre-modelling until complete reworked tyre-modelling is fixed.

It is seriously frustrating that if inner-side of tyre goes 1 celcius out of optimum temperature grip goes down dramatically. Tyre wear should be much more dependent on temperature of the tyre, grip levels should be much less dependent on temperature. Fixing this would improve handling of the cars a lot. In general, real life tyres are much better and than the ones in lfs and also do not overheat that fast. In fact in real life after driving 20 minutes flat out on standard road tyres on swerving roads(Germany) at 240kph; tyres got only to about 30 to 35 degrees Celsius. According to lfs they should be 180+ degrees Celsius after 20 minutes.

I am already waiting for over three years(!) for this issue's to be addressed. I am hardly doing any driving in lfs anymore. When i start racing again I get frustrated again Bernie Ecclestone requested pirreli to make tyres in season 2013 worse! F1 Tyres started to last entire races. Grip levels really got out of control; Tyres got too much grip without ever overheating resulting in dangerously high corner speeds. Back to lfs, Just looking at the tyres of the bf1 will make them go on fire...

There are other small problems like cars roll more than irl, i can accept that, nothing is perfect and no simulation will ever be perfect, but the tyre-temperature+wear defects are so seriously annoying... If those would be fixed, the worst defects in lfs will be fixed and lfs get usable as even better and greater simulator until the entire reworked physics are released
Don't let this game die. It has too much good potential. I can't see any other way out now though...
Hate to burst you bubble. But it has already. The high point of LFS's popularity was before you joined the forum (06). The game for most part been stagnant longer than it's last major update. Development still continues, but it's just maintenance.

No disrespect to Scawen, but his goal to redevelop the tyre physics was a massive undertaking. I don't think it was obvious to him and the community at the time, who were largely blinded by the rising success of the game and it's physics achievements thus far. It's quite obvious now the task is beyond his resources and ability to develop in the necessary time frame, with respect to the millions of dollars and 1000 of hours have been spent by racing teams and tyre manufactures world wide doing the same thing. It's quite possible he will get there, given his past achievements, but sadly it will be too late to matter.

More time could have been bought, had there been content released to fill the gap, but nothing ever eventuated. Reasons for not doing over the years have largely remain the same, despite lacking less and less credibility as time passes waiting for the tyre physics to be finished.

If you like LFS and are still playing, accept that this is pretty much it. If you are looking for something better, then look at long list of alternatives (many inspired by LFS) and have active development and growing communities.
Quote from Macfox :Hate to burst you bubble. But it has already. The high point of LFS's popularity was before you joined the forum (06). The game for most part been stagnant longer than it's last major update. Development still continues, but it's just maintenance.

No disrespect to Scawen, but his goal to redevelop the tyre physics was a massive undertaking. I don't think it was obvious to him and the community at the time, who were largely blinded by the rising success of the game and it's physics achievements thus far. It's quite obvious now the task is beyond his resources and ability to develop in the necessary time frame, with respect to the millions of dollars and 1000 of hours have been spent by racing teams and tyre manufactures world wide doing the same thing. It's quite possible he will get there, given his past achievements, but sadly it will be too late to matter.

More time could have been bought, had there been content released to fill the gap, but nothing ever eventuated. Reasons for not doing over the years have largely remain the same, despite lacking less and less credibility as time passes waiting for the tyre physics to be finished.

If you like LFS and are still playing, accept that this is pretty much it. If you are looking for something better, then look at long list of alternatives (many inspired by LFS) and have active development and growing communities.

LFS didn´t die yet. If it died, then there wouldn´t be any league´s-championships or full servers. Then there wouldn´t be anyone on the forums.
It's a matter of perspective. Those that have been around long enough know. It's hard for newcomers to appreciate / experience what LFS was at it's peak. What you see now was only a tiny fraction of what it was. A flogged tired horse. The days of a great community and excitement/hype are long gone, along with those that promoted it and help build the community. The devs let the game stagnate for way too long and they stopped listening to the "whiny" community. It was inevitable and a great loss to indie development philosophy.
I think some of you morons get some 'enjoyment' out of saying the same old 'LFS is dead... tired old horse'. You only do it to make yourself feel better because you haven't achieved anywhere near as much as Scawan and co and want to revel in their demise (well imagined demise)

LFS can take 5 years or 10 years for all I care. Still an amazing sim. Formula Xr online still provides some of the best racing you'll find anywhere.
Quote from Macfox : It's a matter of perspective. Those that have been around long enough know. It's hard for newcomers to appreciate / experience what LFS was at it's peak. What you see now was only a tiny fraction of what it was. A flogged tired horse. The days of a great community and excitement/hype are long gone, along with those that promoted it and help build the community. The devs let the game stagnate for way too long and they stopped listening to the "whiny" community. It was inevitable and a great loss to indie development philosophy.

Anybody that ever liked LFS would still be very interested in whatever Scawen releases in the future, regardless of how long ago they actually stopped playing LFS. So whilst it's in a period of development hibernation (from an end user point of view), as a title it's far from dead.
In fact, how could you call a title dead, when they're still selling licenses and the developers would immediately make a lot more money just from releasing 4 or 5 cars and 3 track environments with an S3 badge attached? They could do that, lots of people would buy, even without tyre improvements. Maybe not as many as a few years ago, but still a lot.
I agree with you that its peak is long ago, and they never took advantage of their dominance of the niche, before rfactor, nkpro , iracing etc were even twinkles in their respective devs' eyes, but it's not dead.
Quote from Macfox : It's a matter of perspective. Those that have been around long enough know. It's hard for newcomers to appreciate / experience what LFS was at it's peak. What you see now was only a tiny fraction of what it was. A flogged tired horse. The days of a great community and excitement/hype are long gone, along with those that promoted it and help build the community. The devs let the game stagnate for way too long and they stopped listening to the "whiny" community. It was inevitable and a great loss to indie development philosophy.

might be a tiny infraction that is still around, but it's still not dead
Quote from Macfox :with respect to the millions of dollars and 1000 of hours have been spent by racing teams and tyre manufactures world wide doing the same thing.

sorry just to clarify, this quote suggests racing teams and tyre manufacturers are investing in creating an algorithm for simulating how a tire responds under racing conditions... on a home computer. usable for publishing a video game.

did I read that right?

just theoretically assuming such a model can be made, and surpasses the current LFS model as much as it does the previous iteration... does it really, really matter how long it takes to make?
Quote from Macfox : What you see now was only a tiny fraction of what it was. A flogged tired horse.

All it will take is a major release to turn it around.
If it's shiny, fun and new, people will build a community around it.
The assumption that people around here seem to make is that LFS won't be shiny or new enough to get anyone's attention. To that I say: maybe.
Quote from Intrepid :I think some of you morons get some 'enjoyment' out of saying the same old 'LFS is dead... tired old horse'. You only do it to make yourself feel better because you haven't achieved anywhere near as much as Scawan and co and want to revel in their demise (well imagined demise)

LFS can take 5 years or 10 years for all I care. Still an amazing sim. Formula Xr online still provides some of the best racing you'll find anywhere.

Good for you. The point being made was about being realistic about the state LFS.
Quote from sinbad :Anybody that ever liked LFS would still be very interested in whatever Scawen releases in the future, regardless of how long ago they actually stopped playing LFS. So whilst it's in a period of development hibernation (from an end user point of view), as a title it's far from dead.
In fact, how could you call a title dead, when they're still selling licenses and the developers would immediately make a lot more money just from releasing 4 or 5 cars and 3 track environments with an S3 badge attached? They could do that, lots of people would buy, even without tyre improvements. Maybe not as many as a few years ago, but still a lot.
I agree with you that its peak is long ago, and they never took advantage of their dominance of the niche, before rfactor, nkpro , iracing etc were even twinkles in their respective devs' eyes, but it's not dead.

Yes very true, but they've chosen not too and sacrificed the community.

Couple of reason I think why LFS is unlike to bounce back.
  • Years of missed opportunity to release content to simulate the game.
  • The trend of development speed doesn't lend any credibility to further stages.
  • There are numerous other games that didn't exist leading up to 06. LFS now has a lot more competition.
  • Once bitten twice shy. Community buy into the game isn't going to be the same.
  • Average online racers are trending down. Even worse if you cut out the cruise servers.
  • Physics aren't visual and the cosmetics don't do the game justice. Looking at it from a fresh pair of eyes, it looks very dated (circa 2003) and it's hard to appreciate the games mechanics, that are (IMO) well ahead of it time. It will take a massive overhaul of the games cosmetic side to get current. At the current rate of content release, it doubtful that's on the cards.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG