The online racing simulator
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Because of physics. Jenson had to take a tighter line through the corner, hence lower corner exit speed.

Jenson had 2/3 of his car alongside Alonso in mid-corner. Alonso did gave Button enough room for corner entry and mid-corner. But Alonso didn't expect Button to have as much grip as he did (or Alonso didn't go as fast as he thought he would be), so Alonso took a slightly tighter line which didn't give Button enough room for corner exit.

Well for me, if someone has made a move on you, you have 2 options, release the corner or leave a cars width and go round the outside, alonso gave him enough room and was following the outside of the track and Jenson was pretty much driving straight through the chicane and aiming at the next apex.

Little drawing here to help you.

Alonso's line was a little more inside than in the pic but you get the idea.
Attached images
alonso jenson.JPG
I really don't understand how anyone could blame Button for the Alonso incident. He was right along side him up to the chicane but Alonso tried to carry more speed in (he clearly released his brakes before Button) and cut ahead mid corner. Nice idea and it might just have worked but it didn't. If he'd have not cut across so hard he could maybe have got him on the exit of the chicane assuming he could get on the throttle and make the corner. I don't think he could have personally, it seemed like Button had the job done and then Alonso tried a last second fight back that ended up with in in the wall. Textbook racing incident but, if anything, more blame should lie with Alonso for misjudging his counter attack.

I don't think Button could of done anything different in that situation and I don't think I would have done anything different to him if I had been in that situation. I think Alonso could have done something different and I think I would have wanted to do something different at the time (though it's easy to know what to do sat in my comfy chair at my computer), though I'd probably have done something similar in the end and then regretted it.
#328 - CSF
Here's a question for ya

Had Hamilton won in the exact same manner as Button today would everyone have the same view? Somehow, I doubt it
I would've.
Quote :NobleF1 Jon Noble
Jenson Button keeps his win - the FIA confirms stewards will take no action over collision with Alonso

haha! Pretty much as expected. If your name isn't Lewis Hamilton you pretty much can do as you please
Quote from Intrepid :haha! Pretty much as expected. If your name isn't Lewis Hamilton you pretty much can do as you please

Oh shut up, Jenson didn't get a penalty because he didn't deserve it here. It was a lot less his fault than it was for Hamilton in Monaco.
Quote from evilpimp :Oh shut up, Jenson didn't get a penalty because he didn't deserve it here. It was a lot less his fault than it was for Hamilton in Monaco.

The FIA have made the right decision, I won't argue. They just often make the wrong decision with a certain Mr Hamilton. We've been here a million times before.
Quote from Intrepid :The FIA have made the right decision, I won't argue. They just often make the wrong decision with a certain Mr Hamilton. We've been here a million times before.

So Intrepid:

How much does Hamilton pay you for kissing his ass?
#335 - CSF
I feel let down by the FIA not giving Hamilton a grid penalty for spinning Webber. Now THAT would have been a deserved penalty.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Thing is, Webber never would have been close enough to use DRS if his car wasn't significantly faster than Schumacher's.

So either you have slow cars holding faster cars up indefinitely due to shitty aero interference, or you have the faster car zooming past with DRS to compensate for the shitty aero interference.

Ground effect would fix that, but they've wimped out of changing the rules.
The only precedent set is that Hamilton has lost his brains. Had he done what Jenson did today (i.e. nothing wrong and nothing wrong respectively) then no, I don't think he would be blamed. But he didn't behave, so he got what he deserved. Again.
Quote from tristancliffe :The only precedent set is that Hamilton has lost his brains. Had he done what Jenson did today (i.e. nothing wrong and nothing wrong respectively) then no, I don't think he would be blamed. But he didn't behave, so he got what he deserved. Again.

What exactly did he do wrong today then?
Quote from tristancliffe :The only precedent set is that Hamilton has lost his brains. Had he done what Jenson did today (i.e. nothing wrong and nothing wrong respectively) then no, I don't think he would be blamed. But he didn't behave, so he got what he deserved. Again.

That actually makes sense.

Edit:
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :What exactly did he do wrong today then?

I'm guessing Hamilton ended up out of the race as a result of a risky move. Some you win, some you lose.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :What exactly did he do wrong today then?

The tedious overlap arguments will go on all week to no avail. Hamilton's problem is he drives every lap as if it is his last minute on earth; ie - like a GP2 driver. He would do a lot better if he learned a little patience.
What should of happened:

Hamilton - Webber = Hamiltons fault but still classed as racing incident

Hamilton - Button = Buttons fault Given a drive through(no matter what bias trolls like tristan say, its not possible to think about whether the driver in front can see you while trying to make a pass in the wet when you clearly had it done).

Button - Alonso = Alonsos fault no further action(the retirement is enough)

Maybe he should stick to club racing and dominate the ''soo called championship'' where hes car is atleast 3-5 seconds a lap faster, oh wait.......
Quote from Mustafur :
Hamilton - Button = Buttons fault Given a drive through(no matter what bias trolls like tristan say, its not possible to think about whether the driver in front can see you while trying to make a pass in the wet when you clearly had it done).

Button's drive through was for speeding behind the pace car wasn't it
yeah, but i think he should of got another one for that incident.
Quote from Mustafur :yeah, but i think he should of got another one for that incident.

Oh sorry, I see.
I strongly believe that Button had the right to maintain his line and Lewis was supposed to let go of the gas. No penalties for neither which is good.

I have a clip for you of the greatest battle in F1 history. Schumacher vs Häkkinen in Spa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1WuWu8kGak

If you look what happenend before Häkkinen's amazing pass (start watching from 0:30) You see the exact same move from Schumacher that Button did against Hamilton. At that time it was allowed. Why should it be banned now? Watch what Häkkinen does when Schumacher starts to push him. He withdraws and overtakes a bit later. Hamilton could have done the same. I wonder why he didn't since he has stated a few times that Häkkinen's pass from Schumacher is the greatest in F1 history and his favorite one. So he should have watched the clip enough to understand when to withdraw. I suppose he has skipped the first parts of the legendary battle and only watched the final move .

Where former legends knew how to drive without causing a collision Hamilton doesn't. Lauda himself said after Hamilton Button incident that Hamilton is completely mad and that his driving will result someone getting killed.
Quote from Juzaa :I strongly believe that Button had the right to maintain his line and Lewis was supposed to let go of the gas. No penalties for neither which is good.

I have a clip for you of the greatest battle in F1 history. Schumacher vs Häkkinen in Spa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1WuWu8kGak

If you look what happenend before Häkkinen's amazing pass (start watching from 0:30) You see the exact same move from Schumacher that Button did against Hamilton. At that time it was allowed. Why should it be banned now? Watch what Häkkinen does when Schumacher starts to push him. He withdraws and overtakes a bit later. Hamilton could have done the same. I wonder why he didn't since he has stated a few times that Häkkinen's pass from Schumacher is the greatest in F1 history and his favorite one. So he should have watched the clip enough to understand when to withdraw. I suppose he has skipped the first parts of the legendary battle and only watched the final move .

Where former legends knew how to drive without causing a collision Hamilton doesn't. Lauda himself said after Hamilton Button incident that Hamilton is completely mad and that his driving will result someone getting killed.

That wasn't the same Hamilton was actually on the side of button, hakkinens move he hit from behind the tyre, no where near the same.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG