1. Occurring by chance. See Synonyms at chance.
a. Occurring at irregular or infrequent intervals; occasional: casual employment at a factory; a casual correspondence with a former teacher.
b. Unpremeditated; offhand: a casual remark.
a. Being without ceremony or formality; relaxed: a casual evening with friends.
b. Suited for everyday wear or use; informal.
4. Not serious or thorough; superficial: a casual inspection.
a. Showing little interest or concern; nonchalant: a casual disregard for cold weather.
b. Lenient; permissive: a casual attitude toward drugs.
6. Not close or intimate; passing: a casual acquaintance with avant-garde music.
1. One that serves or appears at irregular intervals, especially a temporary worker.
2. casuals Casualwear: sent my casuals to the cleaners.
3. A soldier temporarily attached to a unit while awaiting permanent assignment.