The online racing simulator
Kart Racing Pro
(124 posts, started )
Quote from DaveWS :
This sim actually has real tracks, and the physics are 100x better than GT karts, and 10x better than anything in rFactor. Just because visually some funky stuff is going on at the wheels doesn't mean things aren't modelled correctly physically. Though I do admit it's extremely likely shortcuts have been taken, and there are flaws (castor setting seems to make too much difference to handling, FFB goes oddly light during high speed cornering), it's really surprisingly good.

The engine model is very similar to rFactor mods I found, it's very basic. It's like - here's a torque curve and that's that. The handling doesn't feel right. I think in terms of being surprisingly good would refer to it being based on a car physics engine, rather than built from the bottom up. If it's based on car physics it's surprisingly good, if not, then it's so so. In terms of loading the chassis the FOX in LFS is more kart like funnily enough.
I guess I just want to believe its been built properly. lol

When the hell are KartSim going to release something?!
Quote from DaveWS :I guess I just want to believe its been built properly. lol

When the hell are KartSim going to release something?!

I suspect it won't be too long, they are still there working away. Modelling chassis flex and engine dynamics isn't easy They are pretty hardcore 'everything has to be right' type developers I hear.
Fix your sarcasm detector
For those of you who have paid for a license, there is now another track to play with. Check out their forum.
Could any of you 43.xx or even 42.xx guys be bothered to post a setup please ?

(KC1, Lonato that is)

Here's my setup (44.278)
Attached files
test5.zip - 211 B - 265 views
Thanks! How could I have missed that...

It feels a lot more stable on the exit of a corner and seems a lot faster.

Need to do some 50+ laps later today!
Hopefully this one goes easier on my computer...
Am I the only one who finds this game.. or "sim" ridiculous? I know its in its beta stages etc, but I cant trail brake, I cant power slide, I bog the kart on every single exit ridiculously. I could change my driving style, but im driving this "sim", how I drive a kart in real life. Could i get some feedback off someone who does karting themselves..? I know i have a different chassis and engine myself, but i highly understand atleast the basics of the karting physics laws and i just cant get along with this sim. Is it the sim or should i just STFU? On the base setup i was doing shocking 47s. I had to loosen the pods and rear bumper which gave me an extra 3 sec difference putting me in the 44s.. but i cant even push the thing. :/
Not here to advertise. Just wanted to share some high action racing highlights (4 overtakes in 1 lap) with you racing fans .
Done by me and my friend Stark in Kart Racing Pro karting simulator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRjDTm0z1fw

Hope you like it.
And yet still we wait for GP Bikes to be updated
Didn't want to start a new thread, but it's on topic. GP Bikes is class, but I'm fed up of a shitty 250 and limerock, is there anywhere to buy a license anymore? Or any other way to get the other content, seeing as it's not being developed anyway?
Quote from DeKo :Didn't want to start a new thread, but it's on topic. GP Bikes is class, but I'm fed up of a shitty 250 and limerock, is there anywhere to buy a license anymore? Or any other way to get the other content, seeing as it's not being developed anyway?

It is under development. Don't think you can buy a license until the next patch comes (or they update the website which i am assuming will come at the same time). New patch will contain a 500 2-Stroke (i think) and tools for importing tracks...list of other changes:
Quote :Windows compatibility mode
penalties page in results
disconnected clients are greyed out in entries page
pits status in practice sessions classification
rating system
online statistics
chat whisper
admin disqualify
voting
max ping filter
hide names option
direct lean
possibility to disable shift help
manual rider left-right lean
pit speed limiter
engine temperature
tires temperature
3D grass
gestures
water wakes
multi-monitor support
gyroscopic onboard replay camera
revised free replay camera

Bumping this old thread since I just found out about this sim yesterday. Haven't even driven it yet, but I downloaded the demo today and hoping to give it a shot tonight after work. What really got me interested were the following videos:

Dynamically drying track!
Wet weather (just LOOK at the standing water! Wow!).

In addition, it has rain and dirt build-up on the driver's visor, limited tire sets (and re-use of old tires), tear-offs (limited in number!), max-ping option for multiplayer, ambient temperature changes, etc.

I can't help but notice that ALL of these things have been requested for LFS, yet this game I've never even heard of has them already, and it's only been around for a year (beta 4 came out at the end of October). Heck, even the vaunted iRacing doesn't have most of this stuff, and it's the "premier" racing sim these days. If the programmer making this sim can stick to it and continue making these sorts of improvements, it looks like this thing could be really, really good in the not too distant future. I'm crossing my fingers that once he gets to a non-beta stage he'll take the engine and all of the features and add in proper cars and bigger tracks (it seems he already has both).
LFS or any other sim could easily create wet effects, but actually doing it properly is massively difficult. KRP doesn't handle properly at all in the wet.

iRacing etc... will want to do wet racing properly rather than creating some nice graphics and clicking the grip levels down a bit.
Quote from Intrepid :LFS or any other sim could easily create wet effects, but actually doing it properly is massively difficult. KRP doesn't handle properly at all in the wet.

iRacing etc... will want to do wet racing properly rather than creating some nice graphics and clicking the grip levels down a bit.

To be honest, I don't really care all that much about racing in the wet. It could be fun, yes, but it's not a big selling point to me. What IS a big selling point is that the track surface changes. Grip changes from lap to lap. Grip is better on the racing line than off it. Weather can be hotter or colder which affects tire selection and engine tuning. THESE are the things I think LFS really needs. My biggest complaint about LFS is that it is always the same. The track never gets hot and never cools off. The ambient temperature never changes. You can't overheat your car if you draft too much. You don't have to worry about preserving your tires from one race to the next because there's always a fresh set of tires waiting for you in the pits.

It's these types of things that truly make for a fun racing experience, to me. Wheel to wheel racing is tons of fun, and even hotlapping is a lot of fun, but it's significantly less fun when nothing ever changes and there are no new factors to deal with. Is KRPs implementation perfect? Probably not. Probably not even close. But it at least adds some flavor to racing and rewards you for staying in the groove and punishes you for getting out of the groove, just like real life. These are areas in which LFS is sorely lacking.
Quote from Cue-Ball :To be honest, I don't really care all that much about racing in the wet. It could be fun, yes, but it's not a big selling point to me. What IS a big selling point is that the track surface changes. Grip changes from lap to lap. Grip is better on the racing line than off it. Weather can be hotter or colder which affects tire selection and engine tuning. THESE are the things I think LFS really needs. My biggest complaint about LFS is that it is always the same. The track never gets hot and never cools off. The ambient temperature never changes. You can't overheat your car if you draft too much. You don't have to worry about preserving your tires from one race to the next because there's always a fresh set of tires waiting for you in the pits.

It's these types of things that truly make for a fun racing experience, to me. Wheel to wheel racing is tons of fun, and even hotlapping is a lot of fun, but it's significantly less fun when nothing ever changes and there are no new factors to deal with. Is KRPs implementation perfect? Probably not. Probably not even close. But it at least adds some flavor to racing and rewards you for staying in the groove and punishes you for getting out of the groove, just like real life. These are areas in which LFS is sorely lacking.

I am sure LFS could very quickly implement these things, but they would be half-baked. LFS is about the pursuit of perfection. So putting in these features without them being properly coded would be dis-ingenious.
Quote from Intrepid :I am sure LFS could very quickly implement these things, but they would be half-baked. LFS is about the pursuit of perfection. So putting in these features without them being properly coded would be dis-ingenious.

Perfection we may never see. Same with iRacing and it's new tire model (however they try to show progression, even if they fail massively at it).
Quote from Intrepid :I am sure LFS could very quickly implement these things, but they would be half-baked. LFS is about the pursuit of perfection. So putting in these features without them being properly coded would be dis-ingenious.

No offense to you personally, but I think that is a total load of crap. There is SO much stuff in LFS that is not even close to perfect, or simply hacked in.

Let's see you stall a car in LFS. Can't do it, because the clutch and engine haven't been modeled to allow stalling.

There's a drag strip, but it doesn't actually allow you to stage or redlight, doesn't have 60-foot times, 1/8 mile times, etc.

There's a big "BLUE FLAG" text when someone is going to pass you, but not a single flag waving marshal on the entire track.

You can plow headlong into a concrete barrier and drive gingerly away with no engine damage, no broken neck, and often without any damage whatsoever to suspension components.

You can pit in any stall you like and your car will be magically fixed in mere moments, regardless of damage.

I could go on for ages. To even pretend that LFS doesn't institute something until it's perfect is, frankly, laughable. Just like everything else listed above, most everyone would rather have a flawed system than nothing at all.
A lot of those are on the periphery . The meat and two veg of any sim are the physics. I don't think a sim worth it's salt should be implementing features that are as important as wet weather or dynamic tracks unless the physics are bang on the money.

I am not a huge fan of the physics in KRP. Just feels like a car changed to handle a bit like a kart. I'm more a fan of something that has an real attention to 'important' detail.

Kart Racing Pro
(124 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG