The online racing simulator
Is LFS Dying?
(289 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Danny LFS :Q: Is LFS Dying?
A: You think so? Go play rFactor then! Oh wait, that's dying too...

You make it sound as if rFactor is the only alternative, which isn't the case I would think the sim that is currently drawing the most people away from LFS is iRacing

Quote from rich_hobo94 :How about a thread titled "Thanks Devs for all the hard work and keep it up!"????

There already is such a thread somewhere. You can dig it up if you want
After spending hours and hours on LFS and years waiting for new content, LFS is not dead, its in hibernation, think of it as a dormant seed just waiting to burst into life again.

The Devs asked everyone who has been moaning about the wait, to use other games and thats what most have done.

Do i miss my pals and close racing on LFS - YES

Will I use it without any update - VERY LITTLE

Is it currently the best sim - NO

What will bring it back to life - REGULAR NEW CONTENT, BETTER SOUNDS, etc etc etc

Have i had value for money - Best £24 i ever spent on any game

Would i come back - HELL YES

Do i think this sort of post does anything to help - NOT A CHANCE

Face facts guys, to develop a game to a certain level must be great fun for the dev's, but to finish one must be a huge burden.

After a while it must get stale and to go to the next level must be hard, and that's the point the LFS dev's have reached.

You see it every day on the net, just look at the websites that have been made and are excellent but just not finished, their devs just stop short and leave all those "Under construction" pages about. They then dont update for years but the site still gets visitors.

After a few years there is normally a burst of energy and the site lives again or the site goes missing and thats where LFS is at the moment.
#53 - 5haz
I'll say it again its a fecking racing sim, lets the cut the whole deal/alive/dormant talk. As long as one person is lapping a circuit then a racing sim is not dead, it's as simple as that.

Quote from deggis :Beating a dead horse.

Not referring to the game as the dead one.

Amen to that.
well. i can safely say the videos are worse than 2 years ago.
I'm waiting for the patch, but i've not been playing LFS for over a year now because of that. I've always been optimistic, but I think it is dying. If you look at reviews of Sims the edge LFS had is gone. Physics are still good but it looses on everything else (sound, details, cars, tracks).

I still hope S3 will bring back LFS like it was. A great sim that does things differently then other sims but can compete with them and is better at some parts. But I don't know, we were hoping for the Sirocco to be released with Christmas 2008. Sure things can delay, but in the end a game is like a rockstar. If you don't score a hit every once in a while people loose interest.
Quote from JPeace :wahhhhhh I dont want it to die.

Stfu peeps, it wont "die". People who are well known leave the game and everyone thinks its armageddon. When people like alain prost leave F1, doesnt mean it will die does it?

why do you have to tell people to shut the f*ck up? this is not the best way to open a post. the conversation is flowing nicely in this thread so if you could, watch your language.
getting back to your post, F1 didn't die when prost left. that's correct. but you forgot to mention that F1 evolved since then and has also been developed.
i don't know how you can compare a top class motorsport (real life) to a £24 simulator. nobody said that dead LFS= end of the world. this thread is more about inactive users= dead product.
thinking about it, your post was nothing more than spam.
Quote from dadge :why do you have to tell people to shut the f*ck up? this is not the best way to open a post. the conversation is flowing nicely in this thread so if you could, watch your language.
getting back to your post, F1 didn't die when prost left. that's correct. but you forgot to mention that F1 evolved since then and has also been developed.
i don't know how you can compare a top class motorsport (real life) to a £24 simulator. nobody said that dead LFS= end of the world. this thread is more about inactive users= dead product.
thinking about it, your post was nothing more than spam.

He didnt "open" the post with saying "STFU".. it was at the last sentence of the post

And yes, LFS is "dying"..
Quote from yankman :Isn't there any iRacing or netKar Pro forum, where you can go ?

for germans the Virtual Racing e.V. would be an alternative

http://forum.virtualracing.org/

They are playing all Sims from LFS over netKar Pro up to iRacing. ;D
Quote from Feffe85 :He didnt "open" the post with saying "STFU".. it was at the last sentence of the post

And yes, LFS is "dying"..

it was the 2nd post in his post. holy shit, call the cops. his first sentence was a poor impression of a spoiled brat. now stop trolling and go back to your bed....period.
#60 - 5haz
Quote from dadge :why do you have to tell people to shut the f*ck up?

Because they wont otherwise.

Although the use of stfu is annoying and lazy.
Quote from tommer :I'm still having fun on lfs everyday

Same here near enough, when i get time to race, LFS rarely fails to deliver.

To the ones calling this Sim Dead
As for inactive users sure theres plenty, but doesnt everygame have a disproportionate percetnage of players the longer the game life.

Maybe its Dead for yourself, But please dont try to convince others otherwise.
When the reality is far from it, this last week on my own private server I have had 3 new to LFS (no miles driven) and another dozen or so with under 1000 miles.
The Devs have been and are currently still working on LFS.
Maybe not to everyones liking (but when can you ever make all your customers happy)
The amount of times Ive seen this type of thread (even going back months, years ago) Is staggering. LFS is not dying its regenerating, out goes the old in comes the new etc // maybe some of its old userbase is withering away spewing rotten garbage, but new blood is incoming all the time, and thats how its been since i can remember.

Birder touch on the point of hibernation, Well with a patch with this much build time and with the expectaion, I imagine lots of LFS racers coming out of hibernation too

Anyway I go build my masterpeice, an AU2 Layout. Well I am an Ex - DeadManRacer ......
Quote from rich_hobo94 :I don't play as much nowdays but that has to do with time limitations. Given the time, I would play a lot more. The tweaks and mods available are the only things making it better for me these days...

Seriously tho guys why do you feel the need to post billions of these negative threads?? How about a thread titled "Thanks Devs for all the hard work and keep it up!"????

Please . Do it
Dying Dying DEAD
I have been playing LFS for almost 2 years now. And it isnt event close too where it was then...I started IHR because i thought i could stop the slow death, if we offered something clean and competitive.... So i gathered up some great people and went to work.... But after all our catering, dedication, long hours of asking our guests questions and thanking them for input, drama, etc etc, we accomplished something pretty good.... But after all that, one of the many people that couldnt follow the simple rules, copied our server to the tee.. I mean every command... This is sad.... It showed me the type of people that play LFS. The reallly sad thing is that all those people we took interest in accomidating are racing there also.... sad sad situation. The following are just the sad facts.. You know what they say... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Killfix
Yes, LFS is giving out a feeling that it is dying. However, i am sure that once we get a patch, it will be a patch which will take LFS to a new level. I am almost sure that nobody will be dissapointed.
typical
and that is exactly why most MOS punks are banned from IHR
#66 - CSF
Oh dear, oh dear.
Quote from JVIONE :and that is exactly why most MOS punks are banned from IHR

That's exactly why most sane people think you are an idiot
Quote from 5haz :Although the use of stfu is annoying and lazy.

I agree. If you're going to insult someone then make the extra effort and spell it out.

"Shut the F*CK up, you F*CKING wankers!" is much more effective than "stfu". That looks like a very shy granny mumbling insults by herself.

Grow a pair.
Quote from boothy :20,000+ players a week obviously think the answer is no...

Boothy this could be a first, but I fully agree with you. The people who feel LFS is dying, are the idiots that spend their time on the forum complaining instead of getting on and having some fun online.. Looking at LFS realistically, yes the numbers have dropped since the arrival of new sims.. People are way over hyping the new physics improvement and patch with Scirocco and Rockingham which means when it comes out, they wont be that bothered with it.
Sorry for double post but meh :P
Quote from JVIONE :and that is exactly why most MOS punks are banned from IHR

I was banned in a quite funny situation actually. Myself and Vule we're having a battle and we rubbed, then I let him back past. I then get a DT from an admin which was unnecessary and he kept on and on and on thinking he was some super respected FIA official. Unfortunately he isn't. I then said I'm leaving here before I get gray hair soon, and wahhaay Permanent ban. So yeah, clearly we aren't the punks, you guys are.

Quote from boothy :That's exactly why most sane people think you are an idiot

Boothy, twice in one day? Jeeze this is strange, but agreed once more!
Quote from stuntguy3000 :yes it is for me - its well. dead for me

How can it die so quickly for you? You have only been here since late 2009...
Quote from richard dk :How can it die so quickly for you? You have only been here since late 2009...

Lol, indeed. And he's only done a grand total of 51 laps online, too And this while having joined 1798 hosts
Quote from JVIONE :... we accomplished something pretty good.... But after all that, one of the many people that couldnt follow the simple rules, copied our server to the tee. ... The really sad thing is that all those people we took interest in accommodating are racing there also...

In my view, there's no need to feel sad and abandoned. You made a strong mark in LFS, for many months being clearly the most popular server around, whatever anyone else is saying, this is a fact. Everyone knew this will end one day, it always does, for various reasons.

I'm not going to comment on the "copying" note, everyone with PROS Airio has the same features available and talking about stealing multiclass racing idea is a bit too wide. But certainly no one can miss a striking similarity of some things, CG could be a bit more inventive.

I realize my views do not matter much, but there were things I personally considered strange at IHR and there were things, that, if changed in time, could save it, maybe still can.

For me the most depressing thing was the extra long time for any update to be in effect. I created a new Airio with much better multiclass support, things people racing at IHR were asking for. It took about 2 months to have that version finally online, while Dave had it running the next hour. That situation still persist, IHR has Airio 2.3.9, while the current version is 2.4.2. And it is not cosmetic changes inside, there are completely new things (such as the Airio World, AIRW).

From my perspective, and I never had/seen any crasher problems at IHR, but then maybe I'm a scary guy, the many many extra long bans were wrong. Extra long bans teach nothing, they only enrage people. We use them rarely even in demo, and only for really wild characters. IHR team was giving them quite often even for minor problems. This approach has seriously backfired, as you can also see in this thread.

The last drop, again my view only, was setting the minimum LFSEI requirement. I know I took part in making such setting available, but you must have seen how many people are not allowed to race at all. And, believe it or not, average and below average drivers make the server populated, the fast and experienced join and stay only if the average are around. Calls for creating pro-like servers, either using time limit or LFSEI, repeatedly fail. So the LFS beginners went to the other server, because there was no limit, even TBO cars available to start with, and they stayed there, drawing others.

My conclusion, and ignore it or laugh about it, as you please: To keep going you need to be dynamic, change fast in response to positive and negative trends, know the system, be able to apply everything without delay, listen to people, use bans to teach and not to infuriate. The CG owner is doing that and I'm always glad to add new options he needs, as I was adding options you needed (but then waited for too long to see them in effect). Well.

Not everything is lost, IHR can be reborn. Try starting again. Update, improve config, cancel bans, think of something new, whatever. Good news for IHR: CG is now a team... and that is a sure way to the ultimate oblivion , everyone should know it will come one day. I like multiclass racing (though not many can understand that), it would be great to see two cool MC servers running again. Good luck!
This thread is closed

Is LFS Dying?
(289 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG