The online racing simulator
Is LFS Dying?
(289 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Be2K :Guys Guys.. http://www.speedmaniacs.com/Ne ... ed...hysik-in-Arbeit,4601 This Interview came directly from Victor ... truly its in german but if someone has the time to translate it into English u will understand that LFS takes more Time to grow up. One example from the Interview is that Victor said, Scawn is actually trying to improve the Physik updates on lower CPUs. My wish.. let the old CPUs die. In my opinion LFS wont take much longer then this year to release a new test Patch or completly S3

well if it is not a hoax it is quite optimistic - this means that new physics is ready but Scawen perceives it is too much CPU-consuming at this stage of PC's market.

Frankly I am quite disappointed that meanwhile, waiting for the patch I was able to make a buggy, just on weekends.
If they're done and at optimizing stage, I don't see why they can't be released as a TEST patch. Some of us have powerful CPUs, the optimization can be done while we're playing
yes its gone down hill
Its been dead to me for the last 3 years.

So now its almost done decomposing.

The players left in LFS are just maggots eating away at its rotting corpse.
#80 - AMB
Quote from RMachucaA :Its been dead to me for the last 3 years.

So now its almost done decomposing.

The players left in LFS are just maggots eating away at its rotting corpse.

Bet you won't be saying that when the patch arrives
Awsner is YES & NO

YES Nothing new released

NO When done its done
Quote from kimd41 :If they're done and at optimizing stage, I don't see why they can't be released as a TEST patch. Some of us have powerful CPUs, the optimization can be done while we're playing

Of course LFS was written for one thread, so unless the patch allows the sim to use multi core CPU's all of our mighty quad and dual cores are pretty much useless... which is why I could see that they are trying to optimize the CPU usage.

Looking into the proverbial crystal ball ... I think LFS will be soaked with attention after the patch, Rockingham and the VW. It will fade sooner than before though, especially when a lot of us are in between iRacing.
this is a perfect example of why people have moved on, the community is at war with each other.
Quote from aobrien :Boothy this could be a first, but I fully agree with you.

I agree with boothy and you. LFS isn't dead, but most of the people online on public servers nowadays are just immature, and most of the full servers are either cruise, or multiclass.
Quote from aobrien :The people who feel LFS is dying, are the idiots that spend their time on the forum complaining instead of getting on and having some fun online..

Quite hard to have fun online... I still miss the full grid TBO's/Conedodgers/one class servers...
Quote from aobrien : Looking at LFS realistically, yes the numbers have dropped since the arrival of new sims.. People are way over hyping the new physics improvement and patch with Scirocco and Rockingham which means when it comes out, they wont be that bothered with it.

^Agreed. But in the end, if you play too much of any game, eventually you will get bored of it. Which is the reason I moved onto other games such as the FPS genre.
Quote from JVIONE :and that is exactly why most MOS punks are banned from IHR

I was also banned, but that already happened when I was in Inferno.

TBH I dont care, because your IHR servers are dying slowly and cargame.nl or FOX Junkies are still full of racers.

To the topic: Is LFS dying? No, I drove a great BF1 league race with full grid one hour ago..so LFS is dying..? Aaaaah okay..
Quote from CodieMorgan :
Imagine how you would feel if you were one of only 3 people developing a sim for ungrateful community members that have no understanding for how hard your work was - and had to read that.

3 years later LFS would have 3 years more worth of code in it, and still alpha....

Have you any idea at all how hard it can be to keep track of your code in such a vast array of code files? So many lines. I myself, have had to deal with both. And here you would be trying to provide the BEST final product possible, even if it takes ages.

I would ban you =/

....I had said in my post that I am grateful for the devs giving me LFS.

Quote from lizardfolk :

I'm very grateful that LFS has existed and if it must end now. Well, that's perfectly fine by me. It's been a great ride

:rolleyes:

I had enjoyed my 3 years in LFS but that doesn't mean I have to blindfold myself on LFS' situation. And what I said was true. Most games do die....period. look at the mmorpgs.

Tell me that the Everquest devs didn't work hard on their game....and they are still being worked on. And yet Everquest is essentially dead. What makes you think that LFS would be the perfect game that would last centuries? What gives you the right to decide if LFS deserves to survive longer than Everquest, or rFactor, or Shootout, or Swords of the Stars? Or any other game that LFS has outlived in the game market? LFS has already lasted much longer than most other games of its time. But if it wants to CONTINUE that it needs to move or else suffer the same fate as other games. Just the fact of the gaming industry.

Even if you want to be a LFS sheep you cannot deny that fact. I'm just merely pointing out the problems that LFS is facing and it's the EXACT same problems as other video games. So you want to ban me for pointing out the holes in this sinking ship? Or would you prefer to turn the other way and imagine that the boat is fine :rolleyes:
All the moaning is caused by the devs themselves. Because with their, in my opinion, arrogant attitude of telling us nothing!
A simple 'we are still working on it' from them, would be enough.
Offcourse the devs don't have to do anything if they don't want to, but that tells me a lot about how they think about us.
Wish this thread would Die, less talk more racing.
Quote from BoneCrusher :All the moaning is caused by the devs themselves. Because with their, in my opinion, arrogant attitude of telling us nothing!
Offcourse the devs don't have to do anything if they don't want to, but that tells me a lot about how they think about us.

Well, what if they didn't tell us about the scirocco and the S3? Then nobody would moan about it... something to think about

And to the topic: lfs is indeed dying
#90 - AMB
Quote from BoneCrusher :All the moaning is caused by the devs themselves. Because with their, in my opinion, arrogant attitude of telling us nothing!

Ermm They have said that, many times, and on topic, LFS isn't dying, it's just slow, they have 3 Devs... and one of them is in hibernation so it seems.
Quote from Nadeo4441 :Well, what if they didn't tell us about the scirocco and the S3? Then nobody would moan about it... something to think about

And to the topic: lfs is indeed dying

No offence, but I have the opposite attitude to that.

If they hadn't told me about what they have PLANNED, then I would have lost interest in LFS a long time ago, but it is the prospect of what is to come that I appreciate. I don't care how long it takes, but to know they are still working on it is good news, for all of us.

The attitude that they shouldn't tell us about the dev process, and flaming them when they do, is what pisses me off about LFS and the community the most atm.

Years ago, they would tell us almost everything, and we felt part of the Development process, but that has since stopped, and we have no one to blame but ourselves....
It's pretty dead for me personally, I stopped playing way back but I continued to develop, and I would like too as I still have ideas for things that nobodies done - but I get as far as actually putting code down and I wonder what the point is?

LFS hasn't seen progression for a couple of years now, it's an old sim with a slowly dwindling userbase - so no grand project attracting new users is worthwhile and those racers who are still here (I was never into cruise or drift personally) appear to like to do the same old things.

So there's no target audience to do anything new with. Add that to the knowledge that my project would have to exist without developer support - considering they havnt completed on their own works, they aren't going to be putting in new features any time soon.

With a partly hostile and mostly stagnant userbase there really isn't any value to developing for LFS as a hobby, so the only thing I do now is trawl these forums and wait for times to change - but even the forum feels less vibrant than it used too and I get involved in ever fewer threads.

Quote from jasonmatthews :Years ago, they would tell us almost everything, and we felt part of the Development process, but that has since stopped, and we have no one to blame but ourselves....

I don't think throwing their toys out of the pram was beneficial in any way. Responding to a handful of morons by closing all communication with the community has only served to ostracise the community. Nothing positive came out of the decision to severe communication.
Quote from AMB : and one of them is in hibernation so it seems.

Don't assume that Eric is doing bugger all just because things haven't been released.

A lot of people on this forum seem to think that no releases = no work, but this isn't neccessarily true. Some things take a long time to fully complete. I don't know, but if eric is working on some big graphical / content project, he won't want to release it half done.

In my opinion, Patch Y marked the point of a new standard of graphical attention to detail in LFS. Firstly we had the South City and Blackwood updates, which make Patch X's scenery look like an absolute bodge job.

Then there were the Patch Z interiors and the Scirocco, both of which are MILES ahead of the low poly models and low resolution textures of previous releases. The 3D modelled air conditioning controls, switches and buttons show a totally new attitude in contrast to the 'slap a texture on a vaguely shaped surface' of before.

I had predicted a LONG time ago (4+ years ago) on these very forums, that LFS will die slowly.

How did i know this? easy.....

They refuse to get help, to include anyone else in the dev, i dont know if they are that money hungry where they cant stand paying someone else or they just became VERY elitist and thought noone was good enough to help them. Whatever the case, then end result is the same.

BTW, the $ i paid them is "thanks" enough for LFS.
I think it's time for Scawen to step in and calm down the situation for another month and week.... as it was for past year.
Quote from Michalxo :I think it's time for Scawen to step in and calm down the situation for another month and week.... as it was for past year.

same here
I too would like to get an update on what's been going on with the developers. It's been too long since we've heard from you guys.
Quote from Tomtheman70 :I too would like to get an update on what's been going on with the developers. It's been too long since we've heard from you guys.

Oh, I can do that for you.

I'm still working on the new tyre model and it still isn't finished.

Seriously, what else would you expect to hear that Scawen hasn't already said (multiple times) before? Until he finishes work on the new tyre model and whatnot, there simply isn't much to report
And whats the point of this thread? Like someone said before as long as there is one guy driving online sim is not dead.
Quote from EQ Worry :

From my perspective, and I never had/seen any crasher problems at IHR, but then maybe I'm a scary guy, the many many extra long bans were wrong. Extra long bans teach nothing, they only enrage people. We use them rarely even in demo, and only for really wild characters. IHR team was giving them quite often even for minor problems. This approach has seriously backfired, as you can also see in this thread.

The last drop, again my view only, was setting the minimum LFSEI requirement. I know I took part in making such setting available, but you must have seen how many people are not allowed to race at all. And, believe it or not, average and below average drivers make the server populated, the fast and experienced join and stay only if the average are around. Calls for creating pro-like servers, either using time limit or LFSEI, repeatedly fail. So the LFS beginners went to the other server, because there was no limit, even TBO cars available to start with, and they stayed there, drawing others.

I certainly preferred IHR for racing when it was busy, and only went over to CG when it was clear that was where everyone else had gone once the LFSEI limit came in. The additional IHR servers probably assisted in thinning out the fields too. But (for me) the language on CG can be bad, the driving standards often not as good, and the races are shorter - but it is nonetheless popular. I also like the multiclass concept as it gives you much more to think about in terms of traffic and lapped cars. Then again I also like the AMG GTR concept too. Multiclass with longer races and a compulsory pit stop would be even better IMO.

But because I shared some concerns that LFS is not what it once was I recently dipped a toe into iRacing, which whilst on first impressions is well organised and structured, LFS still has many neat features iRacing lacks. But at the heart of iRacing's driving standards is the safety rating which quickly demotes poor drivers to the lowest class of car. Bans and suspensions there, as far as I can see, are a much more formal process with written submissions to stewards (much the way CTRA used to operate) - not handed out in-session by admins.

So I wonder if Airio servers on LFS can be set up to hit safety ratings harder (particularly repeat infringments in the same race) and also have a default car at the bottom of the pile, a restricted/ballasted XFG for example, which people risk dropping down to if their safety rating dictates. Admins can then apply safety penalties for bad driving (but give people the chance to still race and recover their status) and leave bans or suspensions purely for abuse, harrassment and more serious infringements. I can see potential issues with the first race on a new multiclass circuit with ballasted cars on pole and on any short circuit with them being repeatedly lapped but maybe these are not insurmountable - anyway just an idea.
This thread is closed

Is LFS Dying?
(289 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG