The online racing simulator
Quote from Dmt :Not good thing to humiliate other people..

Look like LFS wants you to use only FF or Opera, why I have to use them, if they are using twice more memory and slower.

same for this list? http://www.lfsworld.net/hostjointest.php

// i see you are watching us
#102 - Dmt
It's really worth reading you know. It's all explained in the first post. Could have saved you a lot of time and effort.
everything working! Thanks
and S3 when come?
release date?
Works well. Thanks,it's very useful.
Quote from Victor :IE and Chrome seem to have a mind of their own regarding launching applications from an url. FF and Opera leave the string to pass untouched while IE and Chrome do some sort of processing on them. During this process they think the 'url' is still an internet url so they apply some internet-url logic to it, like that it must end with a slash. But there cannot be a hash character before the first slash in a normal url, so then they decide to just insert a slash before the first hash. Host not found.
Also when IE encounters ' #' (space hash) it just strips the space. Again, host not found.
Chrome bogs down on certain characters in general and doesn't even run the url-associated program.
I can go on like this for a while.

Please don't lol. I think you have explained what you have explained as clearly and as detailed as possible
Thanks a lot for the new stored password system. Works great. Never though it's going to be that quick

I only found one issue with it:

Quote from Scawen :Also if you use the /pass command on a command line (in conjunction with /join) that should overwrite any password that you have used before, and store the new one.

It works ok from the command line, but I can't figure out how to invoke it from url link - I tried the follwong but neither works:
lfs://join=hostname&pass=abc
lfs://join=hostname,pass=abc
lfs://join=hostname|pass=abc

Another issue with Z26, that will be a problem for people currently using Firefox and Join2LFS.
After I installed Z26 using full installer and checked lfs:// links association, they were still opened by Join2LFS instead (Firefox 3.5.5). Firefox did not ask which application to use. I've found two solutions: Uninstall Join2LFS or manually change "Open with" application in Firefox options.

Suggestion: LFS installer should force Firefox to ask which application to use (from the list of registered lfs:// handlers) upon next click on some lfs:// link.
I have FF 3.5.5... Instalation process was ok. File association works. Join2LFS works. = nothing bad to report

Look like LFS wants you to use only FF or Opera, why I have to use them, if they are using twice more memory and slower.

It's not LFS developers' fault Chrome can't parse URI's and pass them to LFS properly.

btw, Firefox is MUCH faster than Chrome. In real life, not in benchmarks, of course.

I was just trying to help, I hope you know that now.

Quote from Dmt :Look like LFS wants you to use only FF or Opera, why I have to use them, if they are using twice more memory and slower.

Not at all, we spent many hours on Friday and Saturday working to make it work on all browsers.
I'm pleased the host list test works, that means the LFS World links will work when we do update them (when this new version becomes official).
We don't usually change the websites for test patches.

Quote from pit3k :It works ok from the command line, but I can't figure out how to invoke it from url link - I tried the follwong but neither works:
lfs://join=hostname&pass=abc
lfs://join=hostname,pass=abc
lfs://join=hostname|pass=abc

How about :

lfs://join=hostname%20/pass=abc

Most normal text should work fine but it is advisable to put %20 for a space so it works on all browsers. Also # is a problem, use ^h for #
Quote from Scawen :
lfs://join=hostname%20/pass=abc

This link works well, the host and password fields are filled automatically.

(using FF 3.5.5)

In Opera it... well... doesn't work, it says that "there is no application to use with that extension"(or smth. like that).

Question: If someone has FF and Opera installed at once, is LFS only "integrating" with the deafult browser? FF in my case.
Just have to say that password thing is great!
We save slot of time on this, leaving the game, finding password then typing it in, now you can just save it
Thanks man, i needed this. In a year i bet I'll save about 2 hours! on this
Quote from Scawen :
This attached exe stores the password of any host that you have entered a password for. It should work which ever way you enter the "Join specific host" screen :

Thank you very much!!
Hello,
I want write only my view on autoinstall and install setups.
I very like the LFS packed in ZIP file!!! It is best and clean solution, and very easy, to unzip the file and run lfs.exe - I like it!
I NOT prefer the setup files and autoinstall files, mainly NOT "*.msi" installation files, or some Microsoft installers - it is biggest garbage!
LFS is very good and clean software!!! It is not write or leave garbage files in the OS system or registers!!!
Dear developers, please leave it so clean as before.
I understand that some people prefer the autoinstall or setup files, so make it for them, but make it so easy and clean as you write in first topic. Make only easiest and simplest installer what unzip the LFS do determinated drive and folder, make few icons and it's all. Please DO NOT make the extensive installer what write many garbage files to OS system and garbage items to register.
My suggestion is, that if you make the some installer - OK, but leave also possibility to download the clean ZIP file version, what can be unpacked as before without installation processing.
Thank you.
Fixes (hopefully final exe before Z27)
We found there were more problems with some host names.
This required a change in LFS's interpretation of the command line and also on the test host page.
I hope that now you can join all hosts, from this page (but not LFS World, yet) :
http://www.lfsworld.net/hostjointest.php

This attached exe (as in the previous one) stores the password of any host that you have entered a password for.
It should work which ever way you enter the "Join specific host" screen :

- from the list of games
- by searching for a player online
- by using the /join command from a command line
- by clicking "Join specific host" (if you type the name of any other host it will retrieve that host's password)

It should work regardless of colours or of case (blackwood xfg xrg should retrieve the same password as Blackwood XFG XRG).

It removes the entry if you manually clear the password.
If you use the /pass command on a command line, e.g. LFS.exe /join=hostname /pass=password the new password should overwrite any that you have used before.
Also I reduced the minimum view height in SHIFT+U mode (it makes it a bit easy to see underground but maybe the good outweighs the bad).

WARNING : PLEASE BACKUP YOUR EXISTING Z26 - THIS TEST IS NOT A REAL Z26 AND YOU CANNOT UNLOCK WITH IT
Attached files
LFS_fixes_Z26.zip - 971.9 KB - 399 views
Quote from petervsp :Make only easiest and simplest installer what unzip the LFS do determinated drive and folder, make few icons and it's all. Please DO NOT make the extensive installer what write many garbage files to OS system and garbage items to register.

That is exactly what we have done. We are the same as you, we despise programs that write garbage all over the registry or hard drive.

You can even install LFS using this installer, then you can run the uninstaller, which you can choose between :

1) complete wipe of LFS folder and all registry items (file associations etc)
2) leave LFS folder and remove all registry items (at this point you have the same result as using a self-extracting archive)

It doesn't add much to the registry if you switch off all options when you install.
It does however write at least one value to the registry :
Install folder and language selection (so that the uninstaller knows how to uninstall LFS).
Quote from Scawen :Also I reduced the minimum view height in SHIFT+U mode (it makes it a bit easy to see underground but maybe the good outweighs the bad).

Thanks a lot, finally!

By the way, exactly which hostnames worked badly? Just to test.

Edit: I see that the garage screen now uses the x_CARS.jpg image to show all cars, so aren't the old images (x_XRT etc.) needless to be included?
Quote from Flame CZE :By the way, exactly which hostnames worked badly? Just to test.

The problem was with hostnames that included the ^ character, either correctly or incorrectly (I'm glad that is behind me, it was very confusing).

Quote from Flame CZE :Edit: I see that the garage screen now uses the x_CARS.jpg image to show all cars, so aren't the old images (x_XRT etc.) needless to be included?

Yes, that is why they are no longer included in the full version.

Test Patch Z26 (installer test + minor updates)
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG