The online racing simulator
Quote from BurnOut69 :Im probably wrong, but very very basically, isnt ESP = ABS + TCS? Both of those are already in LFS.

Plus steering ang pedals inputs
#303 - e.M
Quote from BurnOut69 :Im probably wrong, but very very basically, isnt ESP = ABS + TCS? Both of those are already in LFS.

no and yes-esp stop u sliding side ways but it just cuts fuel and brakes( like tc and abs) i dont know how it stops the slide
ESP applies some brake force to specific wheel to prevent understeering / oversteering.
ESP (IIRC) engages each brake caliper individually to attempt to bring the car back under control. At least thats how i've seen it work on a Honda Accord Euro. Shit car when its turned off. Why couldn't they tune the suspension to work properly instead of relying on ESP....

dunno if other cars also encapsulate Traction control into this.
ESP intelligently brakes up to 3 wheels to reduce the yawing moment of the car.
Quote from HeerBommel :problems !!!!

I have to unlock my LFS for the third time on the same computer this week.
How is this possible ??????

Do you use hibernation? On some computers, for some unknown reason, hibernating can change an ID that LFS uses for its unlock storage.

If that is the problem, the solution is :

1) Restart your computer
2) Unlock LFS
3) Use your computer and LFS as normal
4) If you find that your unlock has disappeared (possibly after hibernating) then exit LFS and restart your computer. Now when you run LFS your user name and password should reappear, with no need to unlock again.

Quote from Warper :Scawen, i am curious, what do you mean by keeping the ESP simple? I am a little afraid that the esp algorithms are kind of sophisticated...

I would appreciate some input.

Thanks,
Steffen

If I try to make the ESP as complicated and as good as the real thing, maybe I'd be on the case for a year. Maybe I'd need to hire a team of engineers and employ them for a few years - obviously not possible. On the other hand if I try to keep it simple then I hope to release the VWS in a reasonable time. I'm thinking, do something that helps stability and traction, using the ability to apply individual wheel brakes. Hope you see what I mean. It's not really something I want to discuss in detail. I'm on the physics, then I want to sort out something for the VWS, more appropriate than LFS's current traction control system, then release it.
Thank god that simple doesnt mean lousy. As long as it works decent and do what's intend to do we're not worried Scawen.
Quote :
Live for Speed is a serious racing simulator. No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving.

Quote from Ger Roady :

What do you see wrong there? You still have to steer the wheel. ESP is neither an arcade mode or steering aid, it just brakes one particular wheel to prevent under-/overteering - and as Bob said, it depends on the steering angle and the yaw angle.

You could say that TC or ABS is arcadeish or a steering aid then.
Is there any possibility to have VWS 2.0TSI 200 HP and also new Sciro R with 265HP ? (something like LX4 and LX6 but called VWR )
I know that there will be VWS, but is there any chance to have 2?
Mmm, the Scirocco R is one of the hottest hot hatches on sale. I wouldn't mind that being the S3 car.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Mmm, the Scirocco R is one of the hottest hot hatches on sale. I wouldn't mind that being the S3 car.

One fwd Kübelwagen is more than enough.
Quote from Scawen :If I try to make the ESP as complicated and as good as the real thing, maybe I'd be on the case for a year. Maybe I'd need to hire a team of engineers and employ them for a few years - obviously not possible. On the other hand if I try to keep it simple then I hope to release the VWS in a reasonable time. I'm thinking, do something that helps stability and traction, using the ability to apply individual wheel brakes. Hope you see what I mean. It's not really something I want to discuss in detail. I'm on the physics, then I want to sort out something for the VWS, more appropriate than LFS's current traction control system, then release it.

Glad you're not trying to make it as good as the real thing.

In fact... I'm certainly not a purist (like "ban ABS/TC/followcam" zealots), but given a choice between a Scirocco in week N with no ESP and one in Week N+several with it, I'll give up the ESP any day
Given what LFS is all about, how many people will even use it? (If switchoffable...) (Does it help or hinder in the real car when racing to the limit?)
Quote from Neilser :Glad you're not trying to make it as good as the real thing.

In fact... I'm certainly not a purist (like "ban ABS/TC/followcam" zealots), but given a choice between a Scirocco in week N with no ESP and one in Week N+several with it, I'll give up the ESP any day
Given what LFS is all about, how many people will even use it? (If switchoffable...) (Does it help or hinder in the real car when racing to the limit?)

I imagine it's extremely disadvantageous in racing conditions as it will greatly increase wear on the brakes, the entire system pretty much. It's a safety feature after all, it's not a driver's aid. I reckon it'll often brake unexpectedly, which might upset your style if you're not used to it, but more importantly, puts strain on the brakes where you normally would not.

Might give a Golf with ESP a go soon to find out, luckily there's a driving camp near me providing both the Golf and the perfect environment for nonsense like that
Quote from morpha :I imagine it's extremely disadvantageous in racing conditions as it will greatly increase wear on the brakes, the entire system pretty much. It's a safety feature after all, it's not a driver's aid. I reckon it'll often brake unexpectedly, which might upset your style if you're not used to it, but more importantly, puts strain on the brakes where you normally would not.

Might give a Golf with ESP a go soon to find out, luckily there's a driving camp near me providing both the Golf and the perfect environment for nonsense like that

I mostly agree with that. But depending on your driving style, it might actually help your speed on a track if you are one of those people who tend to slide the car too much. However, I guarantee it won't be as much fun.

Most people who do track days in modern cars that have that kind of stability control will eventually turn it off once they get comfortable on the track. You just don't have the control you need with it on.

For example, are going through a double apex corner and you over shoot the second apex a bit. You lift off throttle and allow the back end to start drifting over to align you nose with the apex. Then you catch the slide, before it really turns into a slide, with throttle again and you haven't really lost any time. But ESC or DSC or whatever you want to call it, probably won't let you do that.

Modern systems are better than what is in my 99 BMW, but I turn it off when on the track because it will grab and jerk the car a bit and I know it has to be heating the rear brakes up. It just feels awful even though it is probably helping a tad.

I do know the C6 Corvette guys will switch to racing mode or whatever they call it when on the track. It allows a much wider range of latitude than the normal street setting will, yet it will still help when things get really out of control.
Quote from Ger Roady :

Uh, if car has something, then simulator of this car should have that thing too. By "no steering aids" there was ment no auto-steer / auto-brake / etc like you can have in rTraktor (in fact, you can just put a stone on your throttle pedal in it and aids will do all the job themselves).
Quote from Scawen :If I try to make the ESP as complicated and as good as the real thing, maybe I'd be on the case for a year. Maybe I'd need to hire a team of engineers and employ them for a few years - obviously not possible. On the other hand if I try to keep it simple then I hope to release the VWS in a reasonable time. I'm thinking, do something that helps stability and traction, using the ability to apply individual wheel brakes. Hope you see what I mean. It's not really something I want to discuss in detail. I'm on the physics, then I want to sort out something for the VWS, more appropriate than LFS's current traction control system, then release it.

Thanks for the answer! No matter if i really like the answer, i think its the only way to go. I also guess you are pretty good informed of what ESP really is doing, especially the up-to-date versions. You are just deciding based on what is possible for you to do in a specific amount of time and what will end in a disaster.

To everyone, because i guess Scawen answered that already plenty of times: Will we be able to turn ESP off completely in the Scirocco? Its not like that in the real car - so i am a little scared

Greats,
Warper
Quote from Warper :To everyone, because i guess Scawen answered that already plenty of times: Will we be able to turn ESP off completely in the Scirocco? Its not like that in the real car - so i am a little scared

Certainly we will, i simply can't imagine that we might not be able to turn it off .
Quote from Shadowww :Uh, if car has something, then simulator of this car should have that thing too. .

Ok,what is about Air conditioner ? Rear window defroster?. Windscreen washer/ wiper ?. Car stereo ? adjustable Mirrors ? Radiator ?
Well, LFS is about providing as realistic racing AND driving experience as possible. ESP is definitely part of the experience (as is ABS).

I wouldnt say no to a feature which I could turn off at any moment if I felt like it.
Quote from Ger Roady :Ok,what is about Air conditioner ? Rear window defroster?. Windscreen washer/ wiper ?. Car stereo ? adjustable Mirrors ? Radiator ?

Nothing can't be done immediately. If they make some rainy conditions, they will perhaps make wipers. And remember, they do what they want but not what should be in a sim, so when they don't want to have a car stereo implemented, they won't make it. Nobody can do anything about it.
Quote from Ger Roady :Ok,what is about Air conditioner ? Rear window defroster?. Windscreen washer/ wiper ?. Car stereo ? adjustable Mirrors ? Radiator ?

You don't see effects of those when you sit in front of monitor and have G25 in your hands do you?
This thread is closed

Live for Speed S2, version Z25
(420 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG