The online racing simulator
Reclaim our language!
(110 posts, started )
Quote from Becky Rose :You sound as if you've never read a poem by an emo goth chick, in my expiernece they usually they hate themselves so much they refuse to accept they've written a good poem even on the rare ocassions when they do.

I'm in the unfortunate position of having been forced to endure copious amounts of Emo chick poetry because a core part of my English Lit degree was "women studies" - I guess "feminism" was a boo-word by then. I hate Sylvia "Emo" Plath. Always have. Having to study her crap poetry just made me hate her more.

As to whether or not emo chicks hate themselves, there's good reason for them to do so. Emo chick poems are classic demonstrations of self-indulgence, self-obsession, selfishness and self gratification. That's not a criticism, that's just what defines the genre. For me, that makes it all suck.. though I understand and accept that some people find it tolerable.

Quote from Becky Rose :I certainly don't write poetry for you or anyone else to pat me on the back.

Nope, of course not. If you wanted people to do that, you'd publish it.
Urgh, English Lit at any level is hell, epsecially when they make you do WW1 poetry at A level, now that is some genuine misery!
Quote from 5haz :Urgh, English Lit at any level is hell, epsecially when they make you do WW1 poetry at A level, now that is some genuine misery!

hehe! Yeah, WWI poetry can be hard going. I still find a lot of it to be very evocative but I've found that I can appreciate it all the more when I can associate it with pictures.
Yeah some of it is pretty great, but after a year of studying plus a trip where we were lead round identical cemetary after cemetary on the Somme and Flanders by a suicidal guide, it rather lost its appeal.

You still got to have some resepct for the war poets though, unlike emos, they really did face real terror, death and suffering.
Yeah, definitely! What I find most interesting is the impact that WWI poetry has had on the perceptions in society of death and war, morality, human rights and a whole plethora of stuff in the 90 years since. It's the poetry, not the history book, that's really caused attitudes to change. The history book speaks logic and reason, but the poetry speaks to the heart.
Wth? I'm SURE I posted on this page before o.O (Or I didn't and thought I did. I'm going mad)

To me (and, like Sam, I was put through Plath), poetry is about expressing yourself in a way that people want to read. One of my friends did a (IMO very funny) parody on an "emo's" life. But I don't agree with 99% of the emo crap that's out there. Also I think it is hard to define an emo, (I had this very discussion last week in a site chatroom. MAJOR flamewar >.>) it's like people have said, most of them are quite well off but whine, then you get the ones who cut and hate people who say you shouldn't cut, then you get the fakers...

Becky, I think I sent you the link to a poetry site I'm on, and there, 95% of teens claim to be emo, or are. They write utter crap that gets torn apart then whine (in their next poem) about how nobody loves them.
Hood(American)Bonnet(?)(English)
Color(American)Colour(English)

Reclaim our language!
(110 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG