Reclaim our language!
(110 posts, started )
Quote from DevilDare :Speaking of American-English, quickly going to drop this in.

Was in a park with my mates when couple of girls approached us. They asked what language we are speaking, so I said Lithuanian. She goes, "That's sweet, I can too speak two languages, American and English"

my english teacher thinks that they are completely different lanuanges and keeps only teaching us british english and when you use american english on our class, even if you say the right thing she says its wrong
Well in fairness we'd get told our spelling was wrong in school if we used US English.
One thing that drives me potty, and I mean stark-raving bonkers, is the use of apostrophes in plurals. Car's. King's. Lemon's. It hurts to type this kind of thing. But I am a grammar-terrorist, so I guess it makes sense for me to be enraged.

As for American English, it's mostly okay for me. Sometimes it's more efficient.

Quote from Bob Smith :Well in fairness we'd get told our spelling was wrong in school if we used US English.

Actually its acceptable to use either now, at a degree level anyway.
Quote from batteryy :witch one is the right one? i use them both, since i dont know witch one is the right

Both are right but in true English (and by true English, I mean that spoken within the UK and not the USA )

Tyre: Black round rubber thing you put round a wheel of a car.
Tire: As in, fed up with something or becomes tired.
#33 - 5haz
Personally I don't care how people type or talk to me, as long as I can understand what the heck they're on about then I'm fine. I try my best to use proper spelling and grammar and thats good enough for me, I'm not going to get all tight-arsed and bore people to death.

I do get pissed off with people who diss the Essex accent though, t'is not my fault!
Quote from 5haz :I suggest you bend over, and let the stick drop out of your arse. (arse, not ass)

Hahahahahhahahahaha lovin it Shazzy
Could of, should of, would of...even must of! Give me a brake
Quote from breadfan :Could of, should of, would of...even must of! Give me a brake

Oh dear, oh dear...
Quote from BlueFlame :He did it on purpose. Lack of irony understanding tbh.

Yeah, I got that. You think too little of me.
Quote from BlueFlame :He did it on purpose. Lack of irony understanding tbh.

I did what on purpose?
#41 - SamH
Quote from spacedskunk :Actually its acceptable to use either now, at a degree level anyway.

Not my university, but it was an English Lit major so that's probably why.

Once upon a time I was rather defensive of the English language. Then I got over myself. Doesn't mean I wanna see anything go, but I don't wanna see English go the way Latin did.. and it went that way because it was too rigid for an evolving and increasingly enlightened world. Yanno?

I'm an apostrophe nazi, though. Apostrophe misuse annoys me an awful lot.. most especially when it falls out of Brit/Yank/Aussie fingers. But at least there's an attempt, which is better than no attempt at all. like when people don't capitalise sentences or when i see blatant laziness in text. That annoys me. But it's not what they type that annoys me, it's the fact that they just plain can't be arsed to do it right. Lack of attainment is a cross that some must bear through no choice of their own. I accept that absolutely. Lack of effort, though, is optional.. and when I see it, it just leaves me cold and irritated.
I can't stand people being anal about language! I really struggle sometimes to get words in the correct context, it's accidental, my English is not perfect by any meens and I make lots of silly spelling mistakes but believe me I do try - things just come out muddled and even when I re read things I usually do not see the errors.

The purpose of language is to communicate [NOTE: I originally wrote "communique"] a point and to be understood. Provided one is understood then ones language skills are, by any definition you care to use, sufficient.

Now take Stephen Hawkings, an allegedly very clever person - head of MENSA - pioneer of many incorrect fantasies that he calls scientific theories and much respected for them. Stephen is an extremely poor communicator when he writes.

Don't get me wrong, his grammar and spelling are excellent. The problem is he uses so many long words nobody can understand what he is saying. He does it to make himself sound clever. He is, by the definition of language, a pompous arse.

Having said all that, there is no such word as "jail" on the mainland, it is used only in Ireland where there is a colloquial difference between criminal and political incarceration. The word is "gaol". k thx bye.
His name is Stephen Hawking.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :His name is Stephen Hawking.

Camel casing, as applied in your user name, should be instantiated by a lowercase letter. "deadWolfBones".
Quote from Becky Rose :I can't stand people being anal about language! I really struggle sometimes to get words in the correct context, it's accidental, my English is not perfect by any meens and I make lots of silly spelling mistakes but believe me I do try

That'd be why you can't stand people being uppity about it.

If you're good at something, it's human nature to get annoyed when people do it badly.

I can't stand it when I hear other DJs freebeat or drift because I don't do it myself. When I point it out to people, I get called obsessive or anal.

I'm the same with the English language really, apostrophe, comma and capital letter misuse does wind me up a bit.
Quote from bunder9999 :what are you, french?

non monseuir, mois British. Je faire des erreurs dans toutes langues.
Quote from Syfoon :If you're good at something, it's human nature to get annoyed when people do it badly.

I have no issue with backmarkers
Like me!
Quote from Becky Rose :Camel casing, as applied in your user name, should be instantiated by a lowercase letter. "deadWolfBones".

I'd argue that internet handles fall outside the realm of any existing grammar rules, but "camel case" has quite a few variants that are all considered acceptable. Most have the first letter of all elements capitalized.

c.f., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CamelCase

Reclaim our language!
(110 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG