The online racing simulator
Reclaim our language!
(110 posts, started )
Reclaim our language!
If, like me, you are sick of people saying things like "Fall" instead of "Autumn", post your message of support here!!

Tuesday not "Toosday"!
Duty not "dooty"!
Irony not "I-urn-ee"!
Shop not "store"!
TV Series not "season"!

:soapbox:
I'd be more worried about the legions of British/Irish/American/Australian kids on these forums who can't spell at all, even if it's the "incorrect" word. :P
#3 - 5haz
I suggest you bend over, and let the stick drop out of your arse. (arse, not ass)
Agreed, we need to get people to be able to spell correctly before teaching them the correct words to use. I can accept words that are, to all intents and purpose, synonymous with each other (shop, store etc.) but not incorrect spelling as that just makes it hard to understand what people are on about.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I'd be more worried about the legions of British/Irish/American/Australian kids on these forums who can't spell at all, even if it's the "incorrect" word. :P

even i have better english than some brits that are my age in here
#6 - Bean0
as long as we don't start talking about tire vs tyre.
Quote from bunder9999 :as long as we don't start talking about tire vs tyre.

witch one is the right one? i use them both, since i dont know witch one is the right
Quote from batteryy :witch one is the right one? i use them both, since i dont know witch one is the right

i guess it depends on where you come from... i think europeans use tyre, but north americans use tire.
They're both right
Quote from bunder9999 :i guess it depends on where you come from... i think europeans use tyre, but north americans use tire.

i use rengas
Yes, one can tire when one has no energy, one puts a tyre on a wheel

I don't mind regional spellings, the US removal of u's and use of z's instead of s'. Sometimes it makes sense. I don't even mind missing punctuation. It's bad grammar I have a problem with.

Their = belongs to them
There = not here
They're = they are

Were = used to be
Where = a location

Two = more than one, less than three
Too = as well as
To = not from

And don't even get me started on "should of" and "would of". F*cking motherf*ckers. HAVE, bitches. It's HAVE! The folly of abbreviations, makes language lazy. Our long lost ancestors spent lifetimes creating the spoken and written word, this generation comes along and bastardises the whole thing.

Hey! Somebody just stole my soapbox...
Quote from batteryy :witch one is the right one? i use them both, since i dont know witch one is the right

witch one is the right one? - Wich one is the right one?
(Witch is someone that flies on a broom and loves to eat small children)

Sorry, I just had to
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :witch one is the right one? - Wich one is the right one?
(Witch is someone that flies on a broom and loves to eat small children)

Sorry, I just had to

Wich one is the right one? - Which is the right one?

Ahem.
owned
A Fin correcting another Fin; bound to go wrong
Quote from DevilDare :A Fin correcting another Fin; bound to go wrong

we still do better than some people. pointing at this...
''wad da hell du tink u r duing! gou to fuk off''
I get a lot of people that 'text speak', I don't mind American variations such as:

(American / English)
humor / humour
tire / tyre
movie / film
gas / petrol
mom / mum

I don't use them but I'm not going to be a stubborn arse because at the end of the day I know what they mean...well if an English person uses American terms maybe

Just text speak winds me up, because many people do this now and while I understand the purpose of it...people have started using it on everything but hand writing. There's a point where it becomes counter-productive because it takes me 30 minutes to read a 200 character long text message!

I feel sorry for the people who have to decode an English person's message into English, especially those not natively speaking the language.
They're what you call "internet chavs" and its best to ignore them.....

They will never learn, because in their eyes its the "kewl" way to speak. I blame the girls to be honest, because they are the ones that are trying to be impressed. Although, I fail to see how a guy with zero punctuation and grammar can impress someone.

Anyways, I can safely say I speak better English than 70% or so, of English pupils in my school, when I am Lithuanian myself.
I agree, the decline of British English amongst the British is a sad thing.

Our younger generation seems to be adopting the lazy American version (No offense intended to our trans-Atlantic cousins, but you've not kept up! ) of our language, including the little nuances like "math" for "maths", or the usage of "where you at?" instead of "where are you?", amongst others.

txtlish is a completely different story, anyone who uses txtspk is just an utter c-unit and deserves a swift and decisive kicking.
Speaking of American-English, quickly going to drop this in.

Was in a park with my mates when couple of girls approached us. They asked what language we are speaking, so I said Lithuanian. She goes, "That's sweet, I can too speak two languages, American and English"
Quote from DevilDare :Speaking of American-English, quickly going to drop this in.

Was in a park with my mates when couple of girls approached us. They asked what language we are speaking, so I said Lithuanian. She goes, "That's sweet, I can too speak two languages, American and English"

Hah, awesome.

And Devil, your English is excellent.

Reclaim our language!
(110 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG