Reclaim our language!
(110 posts, started )
Quote from Dajmin :Yes, one can tire when one has no energy, one puts a tyre on a wheel

I don't mind regional spellings, the US removal of u's and use of z's instead of s'. Sometimes it makes sense. I don't even mind missing punctuation. It's bad grammar I have a problem with.

Their = belongs to them
There = not here
They're = they are

Were = used to be
Where = a location

Two = more than one, less than three
Too = as well as
To = not from

And don't even get me started on "should of" and "would of". F*cking motherf*ckers. HAVE, bitches. It's HAVE! The folly of abbreviations, makes language lazy. Our long lost ancestors spent lifetimes creating the spoken and written word, this generation comes along and bastardises the whole thing.

Hey! Somebody just stole my soapbox...

That annoys me too. As well as people who write stupidly long sentences with no punctuation in them at all and just seem to ramble on forever without ever stopping or giving the people who read them time to take a breath or anything like that its really annoying especially when they should have started a new sentence like I should have done just there.

Another thing that annoys me is the continental way of putting decimals e.g. "6,99". Just seems so wrong to me
The thing I don't get, is when people shorten words such in text messages and so, they think they are saving time and money, but the recipient of this message rarely understands the message and the sender is forced to send a duplicate message, but in correct grammar using up MORE time and MORE money, so it begs the question. Why don't these people just write in correct English in the first place!?
Quote from J@tko :As well as people who write stupidly long sentences with no punctuation in them at all and just seem to ramble on forever without ever stopping or giving the people who read them time to take a breath or anything like that its really annoying especially when they should have started a new sentence like I should have done just there.

You'll have that when there are no proper rules of comma usage.
Quote from BlueFlame :The thing I don't get, is when people shorten words such in text messages and so, they think they are saving time and money, but the recipient of this message rarely understands the message...

Only stupid people do this.

Other stupid people understand it just fine.
#80 - 5haz
I've found texting using some Shakespearean phrases is quicker.
Quote from 5haz :I've found texting using some Shakespearean phrases is quicker.

Quicker to get a goth-emo-girl to fall for you yea lol
Quote from batteryy :yeah, i think finland should rule the world

No thats impossible since im already the leader
#83 - 5haz
Quote from BlueFlame :Quicker to get a goth-emo-girl to fall for you yea lol

Nah, goth-emo girl poetry is just a poor attempt it. Poetry is a sport best left to professionals.

Quote from batteryy :yeah, i think finland should rule the world

Attached images
fdccax.jpg
#84 - SamH
Quote from 5haz :Poetry is a sport best left to professionals.

Oh god, yeah. Good poetry is rare. I'm dumbstruck when I read the utter crap people crank out, thinking they're being profound. They think they're Rembrandts of the written word, but it doesn't deserve space on a fridge door. Awful.
Exactly Sam,

On a certain poetry site I belong to, it's overrun with whiny emo teenagers thinking they are the best poets. I get a kick out of ripping them apart, them running to the mods, mods there saying I played within the rules :P
#86 - 5haz
Its always about love (or lack of it), why does everybody write sad poetry about love? Boring. :rolleyes:
Maybe because anyone happy with love is too busy in the sack to be writing poetry in the first place?
Quote from 5haz :Its always about love (or lack of it), why does everybody write sad poetry about love? Boring. :rolleyes:

Agreed. WTF is the point of love poems? It seems a cop out to me.

Lol Bob, speaking from experience there? :P
Quote from 5haz :Nah, goth-emo girl poetry is just a poor attempt it. Poetry is a sport best left to professionals.

The Russians lost high numbers in their 1 year war with Georgia. They are a shit army. Which makes you wonder why anyone is scared of them. Hell, they even got their asses handed to them by the Afghans.
#90 - 5haz
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :The Russians lost high numbers in their 1 year war with Georgia. They are a shit army. Which makes you wonder why anyone is scared of them. Hell, they even got their asses handed to them by the Afghans.

Never underestimate strength in numbers though, like China, Russia has so many people it can simply overwhelm anything by sheer weight, Hitler's men shot down Russians in their thousands, but they kept on coming, then the winter came. Speaking of which, the Russian winter is Russia's greatest weapon.

And the massive Western coalition force is currently having its arse handed to it by a few Afghans and Iraqis. As for Russia in Afghanistahn, the Mujahideen had Rambo on their side, hardly a fair contest.

Sorry for the immense OT.
Quote from SamH :Oh god, yeah. Good poetry is rare. I'm dumbstruck when I read the utter crap people crank out, thinking they're being profound. They think they're Rembrandts of the written word, but it doesn't deserve space on a fridge door. Awful.

Poetry is about expressing yourself, therefor when an emo-goth-girl writes a bad poem it is exactly what it should be - a piece of aweful emotional poetry. The entire point of poetry is not for roses to grow out of manure, but for manure to express just how shit life as manure is.

The problem is that 90% of poetry on poetry forums is emo drivel about how much harder the poets life is than everyone elses. The reason is simple, writting poetry is theraputic and we most need therapy when we're being emo. I even find some emo stuff amongst my back catalogue of poetic drivvel, despite my preference to write about the random.

So in suiteably appalling style i'll now finish with a badly written Haiku with a week seasonal word doubling as the cut:

Ode to bad poet,
You write like your dark makeup,
Night tear at your soul.
Quote from 5haz :Nah, goth-emo girl poetry is just a poor attempt it. Poetry is a sport best left to professionals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War

That attachment is wrong. Makes Finland out to be a lot greater than it actually was... Not saying they did poorly, but the attachment makes them out to be superhuman...
#93 - 5haz
T'is only for a laugh, don't be so anal.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War

That attachment is wrong. Makes Finland out to be a lot greater than it actually was... Not saying they did poorly, but the attachment makes them out to be superhuman...

You could say superhuman, but if you're going to call Russia's bluff when it's pretty clear they're going to invade if they dont get what they want, then i'd hazard one of their super powers is not intelligence
#97 - SamH
Quote from Becky Rose :Poetry is about expressing yourself, therefor when an emo-goth-girl writes a bad poem it is exactly what it should be - a piece of aweful emotional poetry.

Nahh.. they do a bit of goddawful fingerpainting and step back and admire what they think is their profound artistry. They don't step back and think "yeah, cool, I wrote a piece of utter drivel", at all.

And poetry isn't about expressing yourself, either. That's a fallacy and it's far too simplistic. Any adolescent can cry in poem or prose and most do. Poetry is about invoking emotion in others. A poem that invokes an empathetic response is art. Emo poetry that invokes an apathetic response is fail.
#98 - 5haz
T'is a well known fact that the majority of emos live in fairly comfortable conditions, but they cry about it all the same, therefore its a fairly safe bet that a lot of emo poetry is not really expressing the feelings/experiences that the writer is actually experiencing.
emo poetry sucks, theres nothing but complains about how they think that their life sucks when many of em live in fairly good and nice place. id say theres no idea on being an emo, they just have to be negative to everything. usually i dont care about poetry so much but it is simply stupid when someone thinks this is beautiful poetry
''yesterday i almoust killed myseld, i like death, i dont like life...'' and so on
Quote from SamH :Nahh.. they do a bit of goddawful fingerpainting and step back and admire what they think is their profound artistry. They don't step back and think "yeah, cool, I wrote a piece of utter drivel", at all.

You sound as if you've never read a poem by an emo goth chick, in my expiernece they usually they hate themselves so much they refuse to accept they've written a good poem even on the rare ocassions when they do.

Quote :And poetry isn't about expressing yourself, either. That's a fallacy and it's far too simplistic. Any adolescent can cry in poem or prose and most do. Poetry is about invoking emotion in others. A poem that invokes an empathetic response is art. Emo poetry that invokes an apathetic response is fail.

I have to disagree with this, from a personal perspective I write poetry when I feel like writing. Sometimes it's aweful, sometimes it's bad, ocassionally it's mediochre, and very ocassionally I write a good one. In all the poems I write I do it to express a moment or a feeling or sentiment, the reason I do it is so that I can remember it.

I certainly don't write poetry for you or anyone else to pat me on the back.

Then again, i'm not an emo goth chick, i'm just emo.

Reclaim our language!
(110 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG