The online racing simulator
Quote from Becky Rose :The point I was making is that the BBC is for all intents and purposes a public sector company, whereas the German system collects licence fees but as I understand it distribute the funds to various private sector companies for making public service broadcasts. It's a very different system. Lots of countries have mechanisms in place for state television services, but the BBC is quite unique in the way that it is structured because it is not a private sector company at all.

I don't have a deeper understanding of the german system, but looking at the legal notes of their websites, I can't find a private sector company among them...

And now I'll throw in the ORF for good measure, also not a private sector company... It might have private sector subsidiaries, but the main organisation that does the TV is publicly (read: governmentally) owned...
Quote from gezmoor : That said my point still stands that British TV in general and the BBC in particular do have very high production standards in comparison with other TV outputs around the world. As I said originally, I'm not talking about the content. That will always be a subjective issue. Personally however, I think it's often a lot better than the "independants" alternatives.

1. I do not believe that to be the case.

2. They can afford nice cameras because every household in the UK with a TV has to fork out £100+ a year for it!

I find it somewhat odd that each radio station of the BBC has it's own news crew (who have to be PAID WITH YOUR MONEY) reading the exact same news for example.

Also the BBC spent £2.5m and used 407 members of staff to cover the 3 days of Glastonbury! Now if you don't think that is somewhat odd, even outrageous then I don't know what is.

For the 10% of quality and useful output from the BBC there is a freak load of waste. This waste actually paid for by hard working people including the older part of the population who work their fingers to the bone!
Quote from Becky Rose :The point I was making is that the BBC is for all intents and purposes a public sector company, whereas the German system collects licence fees but as I understand it distribute the funds to various private sector companies for making public service broadcasts.

not exactly
the money goes to both the ard (which has tons of regonal subsidaries) and the zdf both of which are pretty much exactly the same as the bbc from my understanding
neither of those are private sector companies and come from times before commercials were invented
Quote from Intrepid :2. They can afford nice cameras because every household in the UK with a TV has to fork out £100+ a year for it!

Other stations use BBC equipment and production teams. When ITV started covering F1, their trackside studio was sitting on top of a BBC van which I thought was quite funny

Quote from Intrepid :I find it somewhat odd that each radio station of the BBC has it's own news crew (who have to be PAID WITH YOUR MONEY) reading the exact same news for example.

Every radio programme has its own news team as it's the only practical way of delivering it. It also allows the BBC to test out and train upcoming talent without throwing them right into the mainstream stations. Having said that, I do think they have too many stations though. Drop all the digital stations but 6Music and nobody would notice...

Quote from Intrepid :Also the BBC spent £2.5m and used 407 members of staff to cover the 3 days of Glastonbury! Now if you don't think that is somewhat odd, even outrageous then I don't know what is.

£2.5m isn't very much in TV land. Look at how much money is flowing through the US TV networks.

Quote from Intrepid :For the 10% of quality and useful output from the BBC there is a freak load of waste.

Even if only 10% of it is worth watching, that's an impressive hit rate. I can't think of any other organisation that could produce anything close to 2.4 hours a day of world class TV/radio.

Quote from Intrepid :This waste actually paid for by hard working people including the older part of the population who work their fingers to the bone!

That's a bit Daily Mail isn't it?
This is how F1 will be if no rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNnEvaoUZU
/spam

Great job by Jaime Alguersuari, only 1,9 behind Kovalainen, and 0,2 behind his team-mate. I think he will get some points later on in the season.
lol Torro Rosso did shit loads of laps, together they did 79 laps in just the 1 practise session.
Quote from durbster : Even if only 10% of it is worth watching, that's an impressive hit rate. I can't think of any other organisation that could produce anything close to 2.4 hours a day of world class TV/radio.

Actually 10% was far too generous In reality it's more like .5% at best. On the multiple news teams front for different BBC radio stations, consider that now Sky provide a news service for multiple radio stations. much much more efficient and sensible. Sometimes I think people enjoy other people they've never met deciding how their money is spent.

Back on topic. Jaime did a good job, but to be expected. The last thing the lad drove competitively was a KZ2 at the CIK Euro Champs so obviously he was well prepared.

Just goes to show however how relatively 'easy' F1 cars are nowadays. The only real part of F1 that has become more complex and tricky is the steering wheel
Quote from Mustafur :lol Torro Rosso did shit loads of laps, together they did 79 laps in just the 1 practise session.

Well that was to be expected wasn't it

Jaime Alguersuari did not that bad considering, just 2.5 tenths of Buemi in the first practice session. Although I think Bourdais would have gone a bit better :/

I'm looking forward to FP2, I think Johnny Herbert is meant to be jumping into the commentary booth, so it shall be interesting to see what he says.
Mclaren have been near the top in many a first practise session, now it'll be interesting to see wether they stay at the top, or like at previous events, fall down the order with each practise session.

It'll also be interesting to where Brawn, Mclaren and Red Bull really are at, first practise for most teams is more like a testing session obviously because of the stupid testing ban, maybe we will see if Red Bull will carry on destroying tyres in the heat while Brawn stays on the pace and keeps its cool.

Quote from wild :Jaime Alguersuari did not that bad considering, just 2.5 tenths of Buemi in the first practice session. Although I think Bourdais would have gone a bit better :/

Well thats a bit unfair considering Bourdais has plenty of F1 experience while Jaime has virtually none.
Quote from 5haz :Well thats a bit unfair considering Bourdais has plenty of F1 experience while Jaime has virtually none.

Shhh I don't think anyone knows that

I know what you mean though, but I still think it's unfair Bourdais lost his seat due to lack or results... Or was it that . Anyway no point moaning about it we'll just have to see how Alguersuari does

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG