The online racing simulator
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Bumpdrafting enhances the team/squad aspect, IMO. Plus it's crazy fun.

Yes, but when your team/squad has 5+ drivers in the series, it gets a little ridiculous... Know what I'm saying?

It looks silly and unrealistic and, for me, I like to have a realistic race that's not enhanced by lag-induced bump drafting.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Yes, but when your team/squad has 5+ drivers in the series, it gets a little ridiculous... Know what I'm saying?

And it sucks if your only team-mate is alot faster than you
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Yes, but when your team/squad has 5+ drivers in the series, it gets a little ridiculous... Know what I'm saying?

It looks silly and unrealistic and, for me, I like to have a realistic race that's not enhanced by lag-induced bump drafting.

Ever tried to bumpdraft more than 2 cars at once in LFS?

Doesn't work very well.

So, ultimately, the number of people in a team doesn't matter unless you're just talking about the availability of bumpdrafting partners in general. And in that case, tbh I didn't discriminate between teammates and non-teammates when I wanted to bump up the field this season. The only discrimination comes when it's a choice between a teammate and a non-teammate.
Quote from Gil07 :It is? I've never seen it, apart from some yank circle racing...

Yeah my bad, its the rubbins racing rule I was thinking of.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Ever tried to bumpdraft more than 2 cars at once in LFS?

Doesn't work very well.

So, ultimately, the number of people in a team doesn't matter unless you're just talking about the availability of bumpdrafting partners in general. And in that case, tbh I didn't discriminate between teammates and non-teammates when I wanted to bump up the field this season. The only discrimination comes when it's a choice between a teammate and a non-teammate.

Check the 'cast, we had 4 car bumpdrafts on regular occasions. Lag really seems to help those ones, the speed boost is unreal. Literally.
Eh, the risk is far too high for me to do it. I've been the meat in the 3-car sandwich too many times and seen it end in tears.
Quote from deadwolfbones :ever tried to bumpdraft more than 2 cars at once in lfs?

Doesn't work very well.

So, ultimately, the number of people in a team doesn't matter unless you're just talking about the availability of bumpdrafting partners in general. And in that case, tbh i didn't discriminate between teammates and non-teammates when i wanted to bump up the field this season. The only discrimination comes when it's a choice between a teammate and a non-teammate.

+1
Point still stands: the whole thing is dangerous, unrealistic and unfair on a guy who managed to make a break on the rest of the field. That's my 3.5 pence. EDIT: Actually, it's more like 1.75 pence. Fail.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Point still stands: the whole thing is dangerous, unrealistic and unfair on a guy who managed to make a break on the rest of the field. That's my 3.5 pence. EDIT: Actually, it's more like 1.75 pence. Fail.

It's not unrealistic at all...

The simple fact of the matter is, this whole bump drafting thing is being brought up because a select few drivers care to take part in it. Round 5 I was bump drafting a Merc skinned Pickard all over the place. I was doing the same in round 6 to any and everyone in front of me on the straights. The problem is, 12 guys in the series have caught on to and do it, while the others don't. Why not make a rule that says you must bump draft and are not allow to pass a driver until 300 meters before a corner entry? It solves the same issue you appeal, but in reverse. Sounds dumb doesn't it?

I really can't believe we're arguing this when drivers were dive bombing 5 and 6 cars back this last round of the season, and not a word has been said. "It's touring car racing, contact is part of it" is what we heard all year over the broadcasts... Yet you can't safely bump draft a car down the straight? Thats just a simple lack of vision...

The truth is, I wish a lot more drivers bump drafted. You can scream it's an unfair advantage, but it's not. Everyone can do it and I for one encourage it...
I waited a long while to respond to this thread, mainly because I just wanted a real good laugh, but this is just over the line retardation! Basically, what you guys are saying by us not being allowed to bumpdraft is this:

"Guys, we will not allow you to bump on the straights to wisely work your way up the field, instead, we are allowing to dangerously bump in corners, even at high speed. You might ask why? Well that's because this is for a good show, and people acting wisely is just plain wrong."

Thanks guys, I fully understand your concerns now.
Yes, way to go to miss the point...

I'll try to explain again... In which racing series do you ever see bumpdrafting? It's just something that is not part of racing, end of! It's ridiculous that it was allowed in the first place during this season imo.
Quote from Gil07 :Yes, way to go to miss the point...

I'll try to explain again... In which racing series do you ever see bumpdrafting? It's just something that is not part of racing, end of! It's ridiculous that it was allowed in the first place during this season imo.

Please remember this is the first season of the iTCC. We wrote the rules back in 2008, and revised them after the 're-start' incidents at Round 1. Bumpdrafting was not disallowed - it just wasn't mentioned in the rules. From then on we just ran with the rules as they were. We were determined not to change the rules mid-season. Which meant bumpdrafting was not outlawed.

Now the season has finished, we'll be looking at what has made the season such good fun and we'll concentrating on how to keep the fun going for the 2010 season. At the same time, we'll be looking at what 'touring car racing is about' - to my mind that means short, intense races between closely matched cars with robust but fair racing. Whether bumpdrafting makes it into Season 2 remains to be seen. Anyway, let's get on with enjoying what we've had this season, go and watch the races again, they're great fun to watch, if only to listen to Deko,Passo and Boothy having repeated cardiac arrests!
Quote from Gil07 :Yes, way to go to miss the point...

It is allowed in NASCAR. And NASCAR is a racing series, no matter how much some people will argue it isn't.

The point is, is that it was allowed this season, and there is no bloody point for anyone in tossing a fit about it. It was what it was, and it's time to deal with it. Why the uproar about it now ? Why not right after Kyoto ? Is there a difference between then and now ? If it was a problem, it should have been brought up after Kyoto, not after the season's done. The only thing this discussion can affect now is future runnings of the iTCC. But to be honest, this is more of nit-picking than really anything productive to me. Perhaps there's something here that some are miffed that some realized that bumpdrafting would be an advantage over standard slipstreaming.

To my mind, there was nothing wrong with bumpdrafting on Sunday, or ever. Sure, lag can give someone an uberboost if it doesn't spin them. But who's to say that it won't cause them to fall off the track ? I'm kinda with those here who say that "You can allow door banging in turns, but no nose to tail bumping in a straight ?" Okay, it has an element of apples to oranges to it, but I do see the potential double-standard here.

Anyway, the input should be welcomed by the admins, but afterall, it's their series, their call.

I brought it up now, exactly for the reasons Joe mentioned... Let season 1 run its course, and then improve the rules for the next one

Oh and deko, I did make an exception for yank circle racing a couple posts back
Bump drafting is a part of the racing, the end. Its possible, it doesnt hurt and in my eyes, it will make the driving more safe. Just think about that you pass a guy, then, he tries to divebomb you into the next corner to retake his position. Im sure that will happend a lot.
Quote from BigTime :
I really can't believe we're arguing this when drivers were dive bombing 5 and 6 cars back this last round of the season, and not a word has been said. "It's touring car racing, contact is part of it"

A little bit of contact is touring car racing. Note A LITTLE, like rubbing door panels in a corner. Bump drafting isn't minor contact, it's crashing into the back of someone at 15+mph. Bump drafting is to be left on the oval, in my opinion for all the reasons I stated above. This is just my opinion and, as you can see, even my crazy co-commentator disagrees with me. Maybe I'm in a minority here but whatever.

Quote from PMD9409 :I waited a long while to respond to this thread, mainly because I just wanted a real good laugh, but this is just over the line retardation! Basically, what you guys are saying by us not being allowed to bumpdraft is this:

"Guys, we will not allow you to bump on the straights to wisely work your way up the field, instead, we are allowing to dangerously bump in corners, even at high speed. You might ask why? Well that's because this is for a good show, and people acting wisely is just plain wrong."

Thanks guys, I fully understand your concerns now.

Thanks Phil, I fully have absolutely no idea where you got that nonsense from. You were a perfect example of bump drafting going wrong, in race three of round six. You hit Nolan and you were off, no control. Luckily there was nobody near you to pick up the pieces.
I don't care tbh wheather bumpdrafting is dis- or -allowed. I haven't done it much myself and won't do in the future.

If I got to decide I'd ban it. First of all these cars IRL would be so fragile you couldn't possibly do it without breaking your cheesemobile. The fact that some hillybilly yanks, who only succeed in racing when there are no right hand turns and when there are a sacked ex-F1 driver who used to crash his teammates beats them all, do it in America with solid iron cars that weigh thirty tons - well is a COMPLETELY ****ING DIFFERENT thing. Besides what good has ever come out of America anyway?

Secondly it's dangerous. Online racing /= a ping of 0.

Thirdly, when one team has 173 drivers in this series it becomes unfair. I don't think being passed on a straight by two bumpdrafting teammates is quite fair, though that's just my opinion. I'm sure PMD will disagree on this since the latter of the two bumpdrafting cars won't be along side of the first one and will epically try to divebomb him/it. (I know this sentence made no sense. Sarcasm is sometimes quite odd.) What was wrong with the nice pass-from-the-draft-and-nicely-get-the-inside-line-and-don't-wreck-the-car-in-front -type of pass(ing)?

This will most probably end in the majority voting for "yes bumpdraft" since Core drivers outnumber everyone else
Quote from hyntty :The fact that some hillybilly yanks, who only succeed in racing when there are no right hand turns and when there are a sacked ex-F1 driver who used to crash his teammates beats them all, do it in America with solid iron cars that weigh thirty tons - well is a COMPLETELY ****ING DIFFERENT thing. Besides what good has ever come out of America anyway?

Aaaand there goes any credibility, and any reason for me to pay attention to you. Thanks!

edit: I also find it interesting that bumpdrafting was essentially a major factor only in two races during the season, which is somewhat similar to how often it's a factor in NASCAR.
Obvious sarcasm is obvious.
Oh my, Timo making valid points... What has the world come to?!
bumpdrafting happends in real life racing, and I dont see any problem with it here. I agree with Nolan and Ben completely.
Quote from Tomhah :bumpdrafting happends in real life racing, and I dont see any problem with it here. I agree with Nolan and Ben completely.

Care to give examples? And ones that suit (ie touring car racing) please
I remember a Caterham race vid posted a long while back here on the forums, where there was obvious and intended bumpdrafting. At one point the driver getting bumped actually was trying to wave through the drafter who must have been trying to gain time since he took a while to make the pass.

I'll go away now since I have nothing to do with this series *runs*
The problem of bumpdraft is just if the driver you bump wouldn't be bumpdrafted, and a lag cause an incident....

The driver in front can post a protest?
LOL bumpdraft is a great thing, no need to ban it! Guy in front is going like on 218 Km/h and you go like 240 Km/h. Its such a awesome thing.
/sarcasm

Round 6 Post-Race Discussion
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG