Desktop.JPG
mine, my photo
Attached images
desktop4.jpg
mine.
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
a semi-busted inspiron 9200.

(i don't play lfs on this machine... i play that on my athlon in the living room, which doubles as a mythfrontend)

edit: b'oh, you wanted a picture of my actual screen? i'll attach that too.

nope, i can't attach it... too big.

http://hamiltonshells.ca/~chri ... /screenshots/inspiron.png

it's a little old, and i don't use that wallpaper anymore, but everything else is there, except i switched back to kmail many moons ago.

yes, it's 6 desktops... i switch between them with the set of boxes beside the blue lock button (which turns on my screensaver)... beat that windows!

edit 2: i also run openbox on here, on a seperate VT. no screenie.
Mine, i like
Attached images
minamiHi.jpg
Hello guys, I have a quick question for you all, would someone like a spotify icon for rocketdock in the same simple style as the LFS icon I did a couple of weeks ago because I've made me one now?
Quote from BreadC :i have question.. you got 4 split screens on 1 monitor? how you do this without having like 4 seperate monitors hehe

Simple - have 4 monitors
Quote from jonaz lindberg :Hello guys, I have a quick question for you all, would someone like a spotify icon for rocketdock in the same simple style as the LFS icon I did a couple of weeks ago because I've made me one now?

just post it and we´ll se
Quote from Jakg :Simple - have 4 monitors

ah ok i dont have thismuch space.. i like the msn+ feature u got on seperate screen.. atm mines on the main one as this is all i have and sometimes it gets in the way :P
Quote from Blas89 :On the lappy

Ah, 'The rise of a planet' by T.Roetsch ^^
used to have that on the desk as well.
This is my self-made wallpaper. Took only 2 hours to make since i'm a noob in art.

Quote from G!NhO :Mine, i like

i liek dat 2

Quote from The Very End :
Joke aside, it ain't fair posting pictures of GF/BF whatever on forums they are not member / know about.

yea, don't make all of us, other nerds jealous!
XFCE FTW (OMG LOL sentence made up just from abbreviations/acronymes.. where did the language go: )
Attached images
XFCEscreen2.jpg
Surprisingly not too different from KDE4. Right now Im running Compiz, Firefox, Thunderbird, Miranda IM through Wine and Eclipse IDE and SSH and HTTPS services and there is still about 1,1GB free out of total 2GB. KDE4 would leave slightly under 1GB free under similar circuumstances. In terms of overall performance it is just uncomparable, much faster than KDE4 (particulary the startup) and a bit faster than GNOME...
Spent 2 minutes making this while doing some toast.
Its lame i know, but i kinda like it.
Attached images
desktop.jpg
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Spent 2 minutes making this while doing some toast.
Its lame i know, but i kinda like it.

better than my current wallpaper...
Quote from MadCatX :XFCE FTW (OMG LOL sentence made up just from abbreviations/acronymes.. where did the language go: )

OpenBox FTW moar.

Edit: attachment added (not OpenBox )
Attached images
whatever.png
Quote from Shadowww :OpenBox FTW moar.

Edit: attachment added (not OpenBox )

why is virtualbox taking up over a gig of ram? (this is the machine your sig, right?) oh, and nice ip address.

edit: and you shouldn't leave /boot mounted.
Quote from bunder9999 :edit: and you shouldn't leave /boot mounted.

Failing to see the reasoning on that one - what if the system wants to update his kernel/initrd? A desktop user shouldn't be expected to unmount and remount partitions, it should be done automatically for them if needed.
Quote from JohnUK89 :Failing to see the reasoning on that one - what if the system wants to update his kernel/initrd? A desktop user shouldn't be expected to unmount and remount partitions, it should be done automatically for them if needed.

1) download evil script and run it
2) script compiles evil code against installed sources
3) script moves evil kernel to /boot since it's mounted
4) instant rootkit.

step 2 optional.

edit: for that matter, step one is optional. exploit a daemon running on the system.
Quote from bunder9999 :1) download evil script and run it
2) script compiles evil code against installed sources
3) script moves evil kernel to /boot since it's mounted
4) instant rootkit.

step 2 optional.

This is what the permissions system is designed to prevent. /boot should be owned by root and be non-writable by anybody else. The only way evil script could then edit anything in boot is by having root access itself. And surely a bazillion permission errors would make you a little wary of touching the script before you've had a look at it?

EDIT: Anyone who's logged in as root themselves is clearly an idiot and deserves this kind of thing to happen to them.
hehe, your edit follows the same reasoning as my edit.

Post your desktop!
(5025 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG