The online racing simulator
Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
I would stay away from the car with 8 owners. There was a reason why each of them sold it on and I doubt it was because each of them came hard up on cash all of the sudden, thats almost one a year?!

Being an revvy engine has nothing to do with it, it's purely how it's driven and how well the manufacturer designed the engine, IE tolerances ect. Civic engines last a long time if they are driven properly and they are extermely revvy, where my engine, mostly because of the increase in cumbustion chamber pressures from the turbo I am looking at a lot smaller of a fuse, but even then at the end of the day it was how it was driven and how well it was maintained. A revvy engine is not an indicator at all.
Quote from Dajmin :I've heard good things about the Rallye 106's, but seriously £1500 for a 10-year-old tiny toy? Sounds well overpriced to me.

Rallyes are a bit overpriced due to there rarity and that they have an enthusiast following. Most you see have been very well looked after.

As of June 08, there were this many Rallyes registered in the UK...

Series 1 = 695
Red 275
White 252
Black 152
Others 16

Series 2 = 464
Blue 237
White 220
Others 7
Why are the series one (the 1.3's) so much faster than the series two (the 1.6's)?
Quote from Jakg :Why are the series one (the 1.3's) so much faster than the series two (the 1.6's)?

They're not.

The 1.3 has 100BHP, the 1.6 103 BHP and more torque.
The 1.3 has a book 0-60 or 9.3secs, the 1.6 is 8.7 IIRC.

Due to the gearing of the S1 it will keep up with 'faster' cars until illegal speeds.
The 0-60 time of 9.3secs is not a good guide as you need 3rd to hit 60 whereas a lot of other cars will do 60 in 2nd, S2 Rallye included.

There are a lot of GTi/VTS engined Rallyes about, maybe it is one of thee you have seen ?

See...

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/ ... /index.php?pageid=s1intro
http://www.106rallyeforum.com/ ... /index.php?pageid=s2intro

For some info about the 2 models.
lol @ kid with rich parents moaning that his insurances are expensive.

FYI I paid for the car, the insurances and I paid for the car. I'm not dead yet. Just quit putting money into your stupid computers and gaming and you'll see it's not that hard to pay.

Edit: And why do you need a fast car? To be able to run away from the cops when you break-in a vidoe games store?
My parents aren't rich, and my insurance is expensive (well, when you can only have a part time job it is!)

I don't *need* a fast car, but I can't see why i'm paying more to tax and fuel my current car when I could be running a Rallye, a Volvo 460 or an Astra or something which are all much better cars.

I haven't spent any (real) money on my PC in ages - I bought a new GFX card to sell my old one and cream off some £ and I bought some more RAM because it was going cheap - that's all i've done in the last year or so...
Quote from Riders Motion :lol @ kid with rich parents moaning that his insurances are expensive.

FYI I paid for the car, the insurances and I paid for the car. I'm not dead yet. Just quit putting money into your stupid computers and gaming and you'll see it's not that hard to pay.

Edit: And why do you need a fast car? To be able to run away from the cops when you break-in a vidoe games store?

A 106 is fast? Since when!!?!?
That's because Canada is 25 years behind everyone else in every department.

and FWIW you should stop telling people how they spend their money - Tbh at the end of the day it's their life and their choices so
WTF is with the UK insurance - I can be insured on a BMW 316i from 1995, or a 316i from 2000 for exactly the same price as I can on a Proton Wira, but if I want to drive a 2.0 Omega which is slower it's £900 more.
I think it's to do with "risk of crashing", as well as price and ease to find replacement parts and the like.
Quote from Jakg :WTF is with the UK insurance - I can be insured on a BMW 316i from 1995, or a 316i from 2000 for exactly the same price as I can on a Proton Wira, but if I want to drive a 2.0 Omega which is slower it's £900 more.

Tell me about it... It was £120 more to insure me on a 1.25l Toyota Yaris (55 plate) than it was to insure me on a 1.6l Ford Focus (03 plate). But that might be value of the car that has more to do with it.

I'll shut up now.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I think it's to do with "risk of crashing", as well as price and ease to find replacement parts and the like.

Price of repairs will have no effect on it and value of the car will have little effect. Actual comprehensive claims are a low cost for insurers now, especially with young drivers/cheap cars (hence why the difference in price between policies is usually small). The real cost is third party personal injury claims, which can be huge, therefore the premiums are most likely largely biased by the statistical risk of a driver in a particular group crashing.
Hmm.. value had a large effect for me.. at £2400 my bike was £678 to insure but then I put it to £2000 it was the £500something that I paid, but if I put like £1600 it actually went up..

But that's why imports can be more to insure because of difficulty stocking parts. :o
Bike insurance is a different ball game - you've got a lot less kinetic energy so can't do as much damage (i.e. a 160 KG bike at 40 will do a hell of a lot less damage to whatever it hits than a 1000 KG car at 40), and as you don't usually have passengers the only person your likely to kill or maim is yourself...
Normally it's the cars doing the damage to the bikes... IE pulling out on us at junctions all the ****ing time. :hide:
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
But that's why imports can be more to insure because of difficulty stocking parts. :o

Given that they write pretty much anything off regardless of how repairable it is I don't think parts availability is much of an issue for them.
Ahh, darn those magazines for misleading me!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :But that's why imports can be more to insure because of difficulty stocking parts. :o

On my insurance at least they will buy the parts but if you've got an Asian car and the parts are only in Asia you have to pay for the transport (but they will pay for the parts).
Mmm, don't most Asian car manufactures have factories/stockpiles over here in blighty anyway? Like Nissan and Toyota (off the top of my head) have factories in the UK and stuff..:hide:

But I guess to get a bumper shipped from Japan would cost £100+, so they probably wouldn't want to do that anyway.
And what about imported crap like my car? :P

Alot of the Proton-specific stuff for my car has to come from Malaysia (i.e body panels).
Smartest way to buy bits like that is via an owner's club or eBay. My OC are always buying and selling random bits from cars heading to a scrappy.
Quote from pb32000 :Mmm yer but I wouldn't be buying a little car with a revvy engine that's probably been driven pretty hard with that many miles on the clock, personally.

I wouldn't go near those cars with half the mileage !!

Lets face it they're boy racer fodder, you just know they've been subjected to crap gear changes, over revving and very probably poor servicing intervals. At over 100k I'd be surprised if they're not blowing oil out the exhaust and sounding like a bag of nuts.
Quote from Jakg :WTF is with the UK insurance - I can be insured on a BMW 316i from 1995, or a 316i from 2000 for exactly the same price as I can on a Proton Wira, but if I want to drive a 2.0 Omega which is slower it's £900 more.

Insurance isn't just about a cars performance. It's also about other things like likelyhood of theft, safety ratings (for accident injury suits), cost of repair and basically anything that either increases the likelyhood and/or cost of a claim.

For example, I was looking in to the insurance on a Williams Clio once and found that it was actually cheaper for me to insure a modern 182 Clio, despite the fact it was actually more powerful and faster than the Williams.
Quote from gezmoor :Insurance isn't just about a cars performance. It's also about other things like likelyhood of theft, safety ratings (for accident injury suits), cost of repair and basically anything that either increases the likelyhood and/or cost of a claim.

For example, I was looking in to the insurance on a Williams Clio once and found that it was actually cheaper for me to insure a modern 182 Clio, despite the fact it was actually more powerful and faster than the Williams.

as it would be a 1.0 turb charade but in the space of a year they went from being 1500-2000 to going for 5500+...

stupid irish car tax laws...

and they're silly non buyers market...

Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG