The online racing simulator
Since nobody appears to have asked it before, this may be a dumb question, but I couldn't figure out why there are no Z1 and Z2 mentioned in the Changelog?
Quote from NightShift :Since nobody appears to have asked it before, this may be a dumb question, but I couldn't figure out why there are no Z1 and Z2 mentioned in the Changelog?

Because they never existed.....

Dunno why but meh
Quote from NightShift :Since nobody appears to have asked it before, this may be a dumb question, but I couldn't figure out why there are no Z1 and Z2 mentioned in the Changelog?

Because no Z1 or Z2 were developed. Z2+Z3 were host updates.
Quote from wheel4hummer :OH, it's measured at the non-drive wheels in LFS?

how else would you get something to compare the slip of the driven wheels against?

Quote :Okay, that would make sense then. But the traction control in my car in real life doesn't react at all similarly to traction control in LFS.

that might have something to do with the fact that you dont drive a bmw 06 f1

Quote :But then how does the ABS system know what the true speed of the car is?

how about sliding window mean values? if the car was traveling at 50kmh a second earlier and the driver stomped on the brakes the reason that the wheel speed has dropped to 0 usually indicates that the wheels have locked and not that the car magically came to a halt

Quote :Also, if all four wheels lock up then can't ABS not do anything about it?

10 if locked & mean(last 100 milliseconds) > 6kmh
20 then
30 decrease brake pressure
40 if wheel speed > 0
50 incease brake presure
60 end if
70 end if
80 goto 10

at least thats my first instinct of how to do it... not sure how it actually works but its probably similar

although im still surprised that the abs on a car which looks as 80/early90ish as the xrt has more than one channel (ie doesnt apply the same reduction in brake pressure to all 4 wheels)
Quote from Danke :Any chance of taking ABS away from the FXO? It might be a quick and dirty way to even up the TBOs.

In any ABS-enabled car: Garage > Brakes > ABS > Off.
Quote from Inouva :, if latino america has his own language , argentina should have their own like i say A few test patch before

NO! you're not more special than any other latinamerica country.. get that?
Quote from Vain :Modern implementations of ABS can estimate the surface by judging the way the tyres behave and estimate the surface. This information is used to switch to different modes of operation. The ABS in modern vehicle will behave differently on snow than on dry tarmac.
A good estimate for the lowest operation speed of ABS is an estimated free rolling velocity of 1 m/s.
Notice that ABS doesn't just unblock the wheels and attempts to approach the braking pressure closest to locking. It tries to estimate the longitudinal slippage of the tyre and achieve 80-90% of best deceleration so that transversal slipping caused by steering inputs will not immediately lock the tyres and the vehicle remains maneuverable.

ABS doesn't optimise braking distance. It allows vehicle maneuverability under braking.

Vain

Very useful and entertaining info here, Vain

Although I have theory that ABS may shorten braking distance sometimes because it use, like Vain said, '80-90% of best deceleration' for all 4 wheels, while with treshold braking we play mainly with front tires grip. In road cars brakeforce distribution goes mostly to front wheels, unless it has some tricky EBD (since ~5 yrs or so).
Very nice job LFS developers...You keep improving LFS and putting it 1 step closer to the real life. Because of you, I have a feeling that I will never stop playing this game. Won't download this test patch, I better wait until the Scirocco will be included, because I'm too lazy to make the backup folder etc., and the Scirocco is so close. Really love the idea with the ABS brakes.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Right , just to report on the ABS thing, with the XRT at blackwood, its made me a second quicker per lap, i went from 1.24.6 to 1.23.6, now thats a serious amount of time to gain :\

:jawdrop:
Quote from andRo. :Very nice job LFS developers...You keep improving LFS and putting it 1 step closer to the real life. Because of you, I have a feeling that I will never stop playing this game. Won't download this test patch, I better wait until the Scirocco will be included, because I'm too lazy to make the backup folder etc., and the Scirocco is so close. Really love the idea with the ABS brakes.

Copy your main lfs folder and do testings in that copied lfs Not so hard :P

I'll test patches tomorrow
Someone mentioned problems with a 7600gt card a short while ago. I've got the same gpu an the shadows are displaying fine for me, so it's maybe not a gpu related bug
Quote from Flame CZE :Z2+Z3 were host updates.

If Z3 was simply a host update, I would have expected the first test patch to be Z4, though
Quote from NightShift :If Z3 was simply a host update, I would have expected the first test patch to be Z4, though

He means Z1 and 2, methinks.
Quote from NightShift :If Z3 was simply a host update, I would have expected the first test patch to be Z4, though

*duuh* it was

/Changes in Patch Z4 :
---------------------
Attempted fix for polygon errors seen on some graphics cards
FIX : It was impossible to join an online race with a demo car

Changes in Patch Z3 :
---------------------
Updated wheels on Formula BMW
Implemented ABS brakes in XFG / XRG / RB4 / FXO / XRT / FZ5
Improved wheel drawing system including rotating brake discs
Improved shadows - sharper and ambient shadow effect now included
InSim : New packets to start / search replays and take screenshots
FIX : Player name was wrong in entry screen on entry or after replay
FIX : Added checks to prevent guests joining with no user name or ID
FIX : OOS starting race after joining autocross host in entry screen
I cant seem to figure out if this is related to LFS or nVidia drivers but here it goes.
With the new patches, I'm unable to remove flickering and aliasing no matter what I try; forced through driver, LFS, various combinations of both, neither etc.
There is a visable difference between settings, however the result is still close to unplayable.
My hardware:
GPU-nvidia 8800GT
CPU-E8400
4Gb Ram

System is running XP pro and all hardware has been tested for hardware errors and is in optimal condition.

I'll revert to older drivers tonight but I'm not experiencing issues with other games in DX8 or DX9 whatsoever. I'm actually experiencing better rendering and higher FPS in Crysis, Cod4 as well as other titles.

Anyone else having issues with AA and AF?
Quote from Shadowww :In any ABS-enabled car: Garage > Brakes > ABS > Off.

I'll be sure to ask all the FXO drivers I'm racing against to do that.
Mr. Scawen, Seriously Thanks, at least here the shadow bug is solved (but i will keep testing) now i can breath again, Sr, really thanks.

PD: looking forward to december 19th, that´s an amazing job the one that you´re doing there, very cool updates, and allways taking our breaths with them .

Adolfo Herrera.
Quote from Danke :I'll be sure to ask all the FXO drivers I'm racing against to do that.

That's why it would be good if servers was able to force ABS on or off. People are different. Some are racing better without ABS than some people will all possible driving aids. I mean, it's stupid to take ABS off for all players, just becouse some players like racing without ABS more .
I agree it would be nice to force ABS (and TC for that matter) off at the server level.

What I was asking for though, was that the FXO not even have the option of ABS to balance it with the XRT and RB4. I admit this is artificial balancing, but there are plenty of real world examples of that in real-life multiple make sports car series.

Having said all that, I've realized that even if ABS was taken away from the FXO, people who still wanted ABS on it could just use Z5 instead of 0.6A. So to sum it all up, nevermind.
So weird! After switching to Z5 my car doesn't shake as much as it did in plain Z. I switched a couple times between Z5 and Z to make sure.

E.g. XFG on AS7, the rumblepad in first screenshot used to make the whole car shake, now it hardly moves. My view settings are displayed in the second attachment.
Attached images
lfs_00000090b.jpg
lfs_00000090.jpg
Quote from NightShift :So weird! After switching to Z5 my car doesn't shake as much as it did in plain Z. I switched a couple times between Z5 and Z to make sure.

E.g. XFG on AS7, the rumblepad in first screenshot used to make the whole car shake, now it hardly moves. My view settings are displayed in the second attachment.

yeah, I noticed too that the moviments of the camera are now "softer"

(sorry for bad english)
Hi all i just wounder have they done somthing with the gfx engine becuz on my system it look better and when i am playing i can have a full grid and all on high witch i could not do before and even with low fps it dont seeem to be laggy or jumpy any 1 eles notice this

Maby the patchs have fixed this

yes i meant like the guy above me

thnx devs
Quote from Austin31287 :Hi all i just wounder have they done somthing with the gfx engine becuz on my system it look better and when i am playing i can have a full grid and all on high witch i could not do before and even with low fps it dont seeem to be laggy or jumpy any 1 eles notice this

Maby the patchs have fixed this

yes i meant like the guy above me

thnx devs

snip
Quote from Scawen :
Although the list of changes is short, there are a lot of internal changes and optimisations.

Scawen:
IMHO the ambient shadow is too squarey, or maybe too sharp. Perhaps you'd like to take a look at it
My suggestion would be making it softer and darker... but ofcourse, that's just me.

Cheers for the patch!
ABS??

my god
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z5 - online compatible (no VW)
(257 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG