The online racing simulator
Quote from kirmy :just a question about braking, have all cars had something done to their braking, because before the patch when i fully applied the brakes in the FXR and locked up the engine didnt lose revs and stall almost, or did it happen, i cant remember, but in the new patch i noticed it immediatly, new features of braking ?

Got that in the old patches plenty, the more open the diff the more prone the car is to do that when both driven wheels are locked... Someone once said it's the diff locking up - whatever that means...
Quote from bbman :Someone once said it's the diff locking up - whatever that means...

probably the diff locking, which means the drive shaft will also lock causing the engine to stall, if the wheels are locked, this is with the clutch not engaged
Sometimes ABS helps on normal road driving sure, but if you are going to race a car, ABS can be a bad thing. What if the guy behind you doesn't have ABS? you are both slowing down as quickly as possible, and unless that guy behind you practiced for hours threshhold braking, he's not going to match your rate of deceleration.

Personaly, I will never use ABS, and I hope to get a car in real life that doesn't have it. If you know your car well, you shoulden't need aids to control it. I learned alot of techniques that help me control a car better than most people.

With the cars in LFS though, I'd think the ABS would be a little more crude. Single channel, and just modulate the brakes rapidly. Older ABS systems did infact INCREASE the brake distance over threshold braking, but decreased it significantly over locked wheels. The reason for this was that they would ususaly just modulate all four wheels at the same time and this would decrease the total stopping force of the brakes.

On modern cars this isn't the case because ABS can ususaly modulate each wheel individualy, this is especialy true on cars that have TC.

Having actualy worked on brakes for two years, I know most of the configurations for ABS. Its not hard to google it though, so anyone can learn how newer ABS systems work. I can't seem to find anything about older ABS though.
Quote from DragonCommando :What if the guy behind you doesn't have ABS? you are both slowing down as quickly as possible, and unless that guy behind you practiced for hours threshhold braking, he's not going to match your rate of deceleration.

That is probably the worst argument, ever.
I have an idea to make a good balanced classes. Make changes on a Test Patch an leave 2 weeks for upload HLs for a 3 or 4 diferent tracks. Preferably large tracks, like Aston Grand Prix, and some short life Fern Bay green. Now the posibility to upload to an unoficial LFSworld, or a LFSworld test patch. I think that people will help with their best hotlaps. You can to compare this laps and make a good balanced TBOs class.

Because now, the faster an easiest is FXO, slower is RB4 but not in rally (is the faster logically), and XRT is hardest to drive and not the faster. But FXO and RB4 have problems with front wheels on race, and XRT no.
Are you still interested in crashes? I had my first ctd in LFS after about 800 test patches. Quite exciting!
Address 0x000000006d9dae7c. I was so surprised I'm not sure what the cause was. I was in the garage/windowed and hit full screen and bang!
Hope that's helpful.
Quote from amp88 :Yep.

hm i wonder if that trick would work with shared folders across a network to get multiple monitors without the framerate penalty

Quote from Scawen :However, the car that the XR GT was loosely based on does have ABS brakes so from that point of view it should be there in LFS.

Since the cars they're based on matter I'll have to reitterate my point that the frequency of the system and the degree of freedom to apply different ABS controll inputs for each wheel should be limited to something more appropriate for the age of the car it's based on.
The current systems seems very advanced compared to the kind of ABS I'd expect on a car that looks at least 20 years old.
Quote from DragonCommando :What if the guy behind you doesn't have ABS? you are both slowing down as quickly as possible, and unless that guy behind you practiced for hours threshhold braking, he's not going to match your rate of deceleration.

Well, considering:

a.) People usually run into me from behind anyway.
b.) In real life that's what happens on the roads when a 911 slams on its brakes in front of a Hummer.
c.) In racing that's what happens when an Elise brakes ahead of a Mustang...

The point is, that's part of racing. Besides, not everyone has the same setups now anyway, so all cars brake differently in any given race. I wouldn't get all up someone's rear coming into a corner unless you KNOW you can out-brake them... otherwise you're just being an idiot. And if you can't out-brake them, then do what I do and leave enough space to swerve around or... brake earlier! In other words, if you're even a half-decent racer (in terms of actually driving, and also in terms of online racing etiquette) this shouldn't be an issue.

Besides your argument is negated by the fact that what you said would probably be true... but in the other way around. The people who aren't good at threshold braking will probably prefer to use ABS, whereas the people who are good at threshold braking probably won't... which means that the people behind you will have full steering control even if they have to slam on the brakes, which means that they should be able to avoid ramming you.

Of course, again, no-one ever seems to avoid ramming me anyway on any servers other than the ConeDodgers ones, lol.
#234 - hda
Race was restarting in CTRA Race 1 server, I switched fullscreen off to see if I had any new messages in wlm and LFS crashed.

The track was FE3 and I was using the XFG.

Unhandled exception at 0x6b785bf7 in LFS.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000045c.

Btw I'm running Xfire, don't know if that can mess with LFS, usually it doesn't
Attached images
lfscrash.jpg
Dont know is it related with test patch, but since i install Z5, LFS keeps randomly minimizing on crowdy servers. Sometimes 5 times per connection, and sometimes at all :/
Quote from danke :
Now Why Couldn't Those Finnish Guys Have Put Abs On The '02 Raceabout?

+1
If the option to disallow ABS in a server is implemented I hope that we dont get 80% of the servers with this option enabled. I like the new ABS system and would like to use it every once in a while.
Unless some kind of incompatibility is introduced, the ABS cat's already out of the bag. Let's say Z6 and the official patch remove ABS from the XFG. Anyone who keeps Z5 around still has it.
Quote from Danke :Unless some kind of incompatibility is introduced, the ABS cat's already out of the bag. Let's say Z6 and the official patch remove ABS from the XFG. Anyone who keeps Z5 around still has it.

I think when the hosts are updated to the next patch, any old patches can't connect.
Quote from steve30x :If the option to disallow ABS in a server is implemented I hope that we dont get 80% of the servers with this option enabled. I like the new ABS system and would like to use it every once in a while.

I don't intend to disable it on CTRA. Since we run TBO in Race 2 and XFG/XRG in Race 1, and all of those receive ABS, there isn't a strong argument for us to disable it. We haven't disabled braking help in the past so it doesn't make much sense to start tampering now.

I do think the decision should be made available to the server ops, though.
It's a weird one.

I originally thought that ABS is bad because it takes away part of the challenge.
After further thinking, it doesn't seem so bad because it will of course be the same for everyone (either forced on, or optional).

TC has never been a server option, so ABS shouldn't either.
I would like to see both able to be detected by insim apps such as lapper though, as this is useful for league admins.

I suppose running a series with it banned without either would be down to trust, and would probably have differing results depending on the league. For example, the RSSC/RSWC have always banned TC in the FZ50...to my knowledge no-one has ever tried to sneakily use it, but this particular series does seem to attract your 'more mature' LFSer.

Of course if it is decided that certain cars have ABS full stop, then the above points are out of the window.

Edit: Has anyone tried RallyX with ABS...if so, what is the effect ?
Hi, Im a newbie here. I just want to tell you, the shadow thing... It happends on my ATi Radeon 9200. I hope you can fix that.
Quote from Danke :Now why couldn't those Finnish guys have put ABS on the '02 Raceabout?

Because if everything was so easy, there will be no fun.
Remember, "you have to do the driving".
Quote from foopower :Hi, Im a newbie here. I just want to tell you, the shadow thing... It happends on my ATi Radeon 9200. I hope you can fix that.

a screen shot would be helpful for the devs to know what kind of shadow problem you have with your radeon
Quote from foopower :Hi, Im a newbie here. I just want to tell you, the shadow thing... It happends on my ATi Radeon 9200. I hope you can fix that.

Not only the screenshot, also tell us what drivers are you using, and please first uninstall your current ones and update them.
Also make sure your system is not overclocked in any way.
I don't know if the problem was posted before... didn't have time to read all the thread. (sorry for my bad english). I found a problem at the XFG: it is the the brakes that didn't see... i have attached a photo to see what i am talking about:
Attached images
lfs_00000004.JPG
Quote from iulikk_02 :I don't know if the problem was posted before... didn't have time to read all the thread. (sorry for my bad english). I found a problem at the XFG: it is the the brakes that didn't see... i have attached a photo to see what i am talking about:

Reported MANY MANY times before. But why do you care about it so much? It's only a force view so there is no need to draw brake discs...
I just wanted to help.
Quote from iulikk_02 :I just wanted to help.

And the best way to do that is to read the entire thread to make sure your problem hasn't been reported, explained and/or fixed already. That way you avoid clogging up the intertubes with redundant bug-reports.
Quote from Flame CZE :Reported MANY MANY times before. But why do you care about it so much? It's only a force view so there is no need to draw brake discs...

Force view? thats the "user view" as standard.. i also WONDER why the discs are removed from that view.. fun to now nevertheless..
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z5 - online compatible (no VW)
(257 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG