The online racing simulator
Should S1 be scrapped??
(48 posts, started )
Should S1 be scrapped??
Well, as the title suggests really. I started racing as a demo'er, then went straight to s2. Once i had my license i looked for s1 servers and there was about 2 of them. I'm not sure exactly what s1 offers, im guessing more content than demo, but with the lack of online servers is there really any point in s1. I know its half the price of the full s2 but £24 isnt a major amount for an s2 license, especially considering what you get for it. So, should S1 be binned?? Discuss!
/me runs away before the flood of "make s1 the new demo" requests
No. Its good to have the option, of getting £12, then learning the new tracks and cars, then when you have another £12 getting the rest.

Although £24 isnt really a huge amount, there are still people who struggle to save that amount up in one go (be it life situation, money burning holes in pockets etc).
What a great idea. Make S1 the new demo!

Oh spiderbait, my ears burn.... you must be talking about me? I scrape the penny's together just so I can put food on the table, would love s2 but will settle for s1 if and when it becomes an option. There is no point in getting rid of it, some people have already paid for it and I don't think they would be amused if they had paid a subscription to something that's not going to be about for much longer.
I think you should ask the S1 users whether it should be scrapped or not.
Quote from Psysim :What a great idea. Make S1 the new demo!

so we demoers can finally feel the tremendous power of cruising in south city?
Quote from flymike91 :I think you should ask the S1 users whether it should be scrapped or not.

Where are they?

But i don't think it should be scrapped. There are not a lot of S1 servers but if you look at people online a big percentage is on a S1 server (CTRA Race1). So it has value. Also it's a good way for people who can't afford S2 and want to buy half the game first. I think the stages are a good idea.
S1 can be demo only if the engines are removed

What would be the advantages of scrapping S1? It's not doing any harm, and there quite a few S1 users around. If S1 was scrapped, they'd all be be demo users again (very unlikely that they'd be brought up to S2 without paying the same as everyone else), and that isn't allowed. They've payed for S1 content, and S1 content they shall get

Having said that, if/when S3 comes out, making S1 the new demo mightn't be a bad idea. The S1 users who've payed for S1 content would still get S1 content
Quote from dougie-lampkin :S1 can be demo only if the engines are removed

Having said that, if/when S3 comes out, making S1 the new demo mightn't be a bad idea. The S1 users who've payed for S1 content would still get S1 content

Try to remember that s1 drivers paid so that they can have more than demo drivers. To thin down s1 would be to take away some of what they paid for. It would be like sky cutting down your channels but charging you the same fee. I say leave s1 as it is and improve demo a little. The only other option would be to not let anyone else buy s1 and give the existing s1 drivers an upgrade to s2. You just can't sell something and then take it back or even a part of it.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :S1 can be demo only if the engines are removed

What would be the advantages of scrapping S1? It's not doing any harm, and there quite a few S1 users around. If S1 was scrapped, they'd all be be demo users again (very unlikely that they'd be brought up to S2 without paying the same as everyone else), and that isn't allowed. They've payed for S1 content, and S1 content they shall get

I think a S1 with S3 physics (whatever that will bring) is way to much for a demo.
What about if they would take S1 away the S1 licensed users would get refunded or atleast get a little bit of a refund or get a special thing ingame or get free high-res skins?
I would have said yes to this idea too, but remember that servers can autodetect what content they're running now, so they go in the appropriate mode, be it demo, S1, or S2 mode. Now there are plenty of servers available now to all 3 modes, so no need to remove S1. I think it should be removed when LFS goes gold though, as S1, S2, etc won't make any sense to people when when that time comes.
IMO it should be left how it is. If it ain't broke etc ...
What would the advantage of taking away S1 be exactly? I fail to see any. The content is still there for S2 users, or is taking away all S1 content being suggested? Anyway too late need some sleep. Night
Quote from scoobyrbac :What about if they would take S1 away the S1 licensed users would get refunded or atleast get a little bit of a refund or get a special thing ingame or get free high-res skins?

Do you really think LFS wants to dig deep? The answer would be to just stop selling S1, Its not going to die but its going to be hard to charge for....

With s3 you got to wonder what will happen to the prices, will it be £36? Maybe s1 and s2 should be reduce to bring the prices within £30?
Quote from Psysim :Do you really think LFS wants to dig deep? The answer would be to just stop selling S1, Its not going to die but its going to be hard to charge for....

With s3 you got to wonder what will happen to the prices, will it be £36? Maybe s1 and s2 should be reduce to bring the prices within £30?

Doesn't have to. You can also give a discount if you buy all 3 stages at the same time. But from what i've red in the forums it's just going to be £36.

And why give people money back IF S1 will be dropped (i don't think that will happen soon, maybe someday when S3 is final they will present it as 1 product). LFS is one of the only games that has given updates for so many years. It has to stop sometime. S1 users from the old days are just lucky that their content still gets updated because it's also used for the S2 licences.
I agree, however I wouldn't if I had purchased S1 in recent months. How long should you have S1 for? How long should the £12 keep you going? I believe there is no talk of time scale at the moment of purchase. I have not yet made a purchase so I could be wrong.
i say just leave it alone
This topic is silly, because there are obviously no disadvantages to s2 users because of the s1 users? Except for maybe a little confusion AT A FIRST GLANCE to new users, but this will obviously be overcome when the user becomes more familiar with the game, which they will when they see how great it really is how it is.
IIRC, S1 licences were 'scrapped' (i.e. they were no longer purchaseable) some time age, but brought back a short time later due to public demand.
Quote from Psysim : The answer would be to just stop selling S1,

That is what i meant in my original post, just stop having s1 as an option, that way people who have bought s1 keep it and stay as they are, and new members either have the demo or pay the £24 for s2. I think it would make things slightly less complicated when s3 eventually becomes reality.
Right now it works as a kind of installment plan, so people who can't afford the full S2 license can get S1 and unlock a large portion of the game while they save up for the rest. Just because it's cheap for a game in the UK doesn't mean the rest of the world has the same opinion. That £24 gets really expensive in places like (IIRC) Argentina and Romania.
Why touch it? It should not bother anyone. This is a marketing strategy I can really appreciate.

I think it's a nice structure to keep all stages available seperately. It also illustrates that S2 will keep being supported whenever S3 is released.
#24 - Gunn
It's none of our business actually. Not worthy of discussion either IMO.
Why changed it? I think everything should be left the same. When S3 comes out, there should be a free demo, 12 for S1, 24 for S2, and 36 for S3. There is absolutely no advantage of taking away S1.

I don't really see why this is even up for discussion. As Gunn said, it's none of our business.

Should S1 be scrapped??
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG