The online racing simulator

Poll : Which foot do you brake with whilst playing LFS?

Left foot always
Right foot always
Normally left, but right for when down-shifting (G25 H-Shifters...)
Depends on the corner / situation
Whatever takes your fancy
Quote from mrodgers :This poll has been done several times.....

It has?

I can't remember, tbh.
I had a look before I posted and couldn't find a similar poll...?

Keep the votes coming!

And hi Jay / Pipa!
Left foot brake when sequential, Right foot brake when H-shifter.
I Voted right foot brake and I use a DFP. I only use my left foot for braking in the FXO and It's only in certain situations.

I'm surprised how many people actually right foot brake..
Quote from mongoosetierney :I brake as i would in a real car.

Right foot (g25 user here)

Xcept when im in the SS's where I left foot break because of the increased need for faster reactions and so my left leg doesnt fall asleep +/ drop off when i do a large stint in a SS.

Same
Left foot braking all the time. So much nicer for balancing the car through corners whilst trailing the throttle.
my index finger on my right hand, keyboard user and proud
Left foot braking in LFS. Right foot IRL.
Left foot on a road/street course, Right foot on the Oval
Mine depends on corner situations. I've learned to use both because it gives more options of what to do in a type of corner.
In LFS, Left foot exclusively.
In a real car, Right foot exclusively.

Don't really know why I Left foot brake in LFS as I've never used left foot to brake in a real car, seems a bit weird how easy it is to do in LFS. I tried it a few times in a real car and just ended up slamming on the brakes really hard as I was automatically pushing down like I would on a clutch pedal despite consiously knowing I was pushing the brake pedeal. That's the power of autonomous motor function for you.
Normally left, but right for when down-shifting

Quote from the Moose :left Foot Braking All The Time. So Much Nicer For Balancing The Car Through Corners Whilst Trailing The Throttle.

+1
Ok, I stated this "poll has been done before" when actually this has been discussed before, many times through the years. Indeed, it has along with how you steer, with Kev and his magnificent "flailing arms" technique....

Quote from AjRose :I'm surprised how many people actually right foot brake..

I would think there are enough G25 users to justify the high amount of people using their right foot. Previous to the G25, when this was discussed, there were far less people stating using the right foot.
Always right foot, even in SS and GTRs for whatever reason. It just feels weird for me to left foot brake. I've tried left foot braking in the sequential cars though, but it just doesn't work for me. I also tend to use the clutch sometimes in sequential cars, no idea why...
Left foot, cause it's the only foot I have.
In general I always right foot no matter the car (well, during the few times that i've driven the F1 car I left footed). I do use right foot in some corners but mostly on dirt. I'm no stomper and I see no reason why I should be reinforcing a bad habit.
Generally I use either depending on the car and situation/corner. However, iff I have to down shift (with H-shift), I'll use my right for the initial brake-in, and then switch to my left foot in the same corner, depending on the corner. Two corners, I switch feet in, that I can think of right now, are the long sweeper at South City that comes off the main straight, and the sweeper at Aston Grand Touring where you have a quick left then the right hand sweeper following immediately after.
Before G25, always left foot.

After G25, always right foot.

Might possibly sneak in a little bit of left foot braking on the RB4 (with throttle) to get it oversteering through rallycross turns. I haven't tried much sequential cars to really get back to left foot braking. But it's best to stick to right and make it a hardcore habit I think.

I've driven tons of manual real cars and it's a very ingrained habit. Yet I had 30-60 minutes or so of trying to 'adjust' to driving like a real car when I got the G25. I did very silly things like trying to use the clutch as brake, etc. Amazingly noob. Old gaming habits die hard.

I've played a bunch of LFS and GT Legends with H-box shifting, and I'm completely used to it after a few weeks, heel-toe and everything. But I've noticed that for the first time, my simracing habits are transferring to the real car! Never happened before. By that I mean that things feel so familiar now in the real car and the computer that I kind of expect it to behave the same. I almost try to shift at the same speed (not wise) and so forth. The wheel in the car feels huge compared to the G25 and the pedals are really nasty. The shifter is extremely spongy/rubbery and notchy.. ugh...

I wish everyone could have a G25 for their simracing, it really is quite amazing. I wonder how the sequel will be like.

Also I wonder if americans/australians who are used to automatic cars in real life have different preferences in LFS than those with manual.
Quote from Mikkomattic :Also I wonder if americans/australians who are used to automatic cars in real life have different preferences in LFS than those with manual.

Why do you assume that we all have automatics? I had an automatic in my first car back in 1988-1989 and am stuck in an automatic since I had to replace my car with something for the wife last year, thus inheriting her old car. As soon as her new car is paid off, I will again have a manual. The fact that I have an auto, yet still after a year of being stuck with it I still constantly reach for the clutch with my leg and reach for the shifter with my hand says that I am definitely not "use to an automatic."

So, 20 years of driving, I've driven an auto for 2 years or 10% of the time in years. But looking at mileage, I've driven approximately 300,000 miles, with approximately 20,000 of those being in an auto, thus 6%.

Why would I have a different preference if I would happen to prefer an automatic in real life? You don't left foot brake in a real car on the road, you right foot brake.

The majority of us here on this forum are here because we are driving enthusiasts, car enthusiasts, racing enthusiasts, or any combination of the three. I think you folks over there in the UK/EU should think before you post ridiculous statements and questions.
Quote :Why do you assume that we all have automatics?

I do not. You misread. I wrote "americans [...] who are..". This specifies the ones who do. On a related note, in about the year 2000, 90% of vehicles sold in USA had automatic transmissions and the other 10% were manual, and it's been shrinking since (as far as the stats I've been checking over the years).
Quote :Why would I have a different preference if I would happen to prefer an automatic in real life? You don't left foot brake in a real car on the road, you right foot brake.

Several americans I've spoken to in the past said they used the left to brake; they think they can react faster. There's also warnings about "riding the brakes" by resting the foot on the pedal. This may be incorrect. Never the less, the automatic cars are far more similar to LFS with only two pedals than the three + H-box.
Quote :The majority of us here on this forum are here because we are driving enthusiasts, car enthusiasts, racing enthusiasts, or any combination of the three. I think you folks over there in the UK/EU should think before you post ridiculous statements and questions.

Not everyone comes from a background of a burning racing interest involving H-pattern box racing cars, if any at all. Think about how much racing is done with automatics and sequentials. And think about 'couch athletes' who watch but don't do. So you see, I did think, and it wasn't ridiculous.
Quote from Danas :No clutch pedal = left foot braking

++

i probably shouldn't go back and forth, but since i like the ufr so much, i probably won't be driving one of the paddle-shift cars any time soon.
Right Foot here with a G25.

I prefer H shift and clutch, but before the G25 I had a DFP (which I still think i prefer to the G25), and with only two pedals, still rfb. I used to left foot when I drove GPL for the first two years (with a RSforce and then with a GPL Shifter), but I was a much better braker when I switched to Right Foot. I actually got quicker and was much tougher in the braking zone, and just felt like I had more control.

I think my brain cannot work both legs at once. And as I have trained the right leg in the real car to go and stop, I seem better with it like that in the virtual one.

Hippo
I have no choice but to left foot with my Momo makes it much easier to brake quickly and get back on the power sooner.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG