Richard Burns Rally
None of them are really realistic.
Grand Prix Legends (2004)
NASCAR Racing 2003
R-Factor
The Papyrus games
GTR2
The ISI games
Thanks to whatever mod added RBR for me.

No, the poll will not be accurate, posted on a LFS forum which seems to constitite 50% sim racers, 25% ricers and 25% people wanting to a have a cyber wang-measuring competition.

But it's a bit of fun anyway.
#52 - wien
Quote from adulterated :You want realistic, go to your arcade and play F355 Challenge with the clutch and without the F1 paddles.

Ahahah, is this the same F355 Challenge I had on my Dreamcast a good decade ago? It wasn't too bad for its time but it has absolutely nothing on the likes of LFS in terms of physics realism.
Quote from wien :Ahahah, is this the same F355 Challenge I had on my Dreamcast a good decade ago? It wasn't too bad for its time but it has absolutely nothing on the likes of LFS in terms of physics realism.

Think if that game had the same physics as LFS, think of how the games would been today
Need for Speed Underground 2 is the mostunrealistic racing game I'venever played.
Damn, I missed out on Need For Speed Alpha so I can't say if it was any good - ah well, might as well go for the next best thing.
Quote from sinbad :I wanted to vote but Ridge Racer 1 (for ps1)

Those were the days, i remember when i first got a ps1 that was the first game i played on. Might have to take a trip to the cellar and dig it back out, the realism is out of this world. Im gettin tired of reading these sarcastic NFS threads.
How on earth is need for speed second?

That's rather mind boggling.

And GTR2 is almost last? It's not really the most amazing game, but I was fully expecting that to be in second place.
#58 - wien
Quote from adulterated :I'm talking bout the single seater arcade unit with 3 screens for panoramic view and the full size replica metal shifter.

I don't really see what the input and output methods have to do with physics realism. I can tell how realistic the physics are, even with a normal dual-analog gamepad, and F355 Challenge isn't even close (I've also tried the arcade version and didn't find it much different than the Dreamcast version to be honest).

The experience of driving it in an arcade is of course very good, but that's not really the point. You can easily get a similar setup in LFS too if you really want it. A fairly reasonable wheel and software triple-head graphics does that quite well.
Quote from hypnolobster :How on earth is need for speed second?

It's weird, yeah - but we all know that's only because it's losing votes to people confusing it with Live For Speed.
Quote from adulterated :Actually, I didn't say anything about the console versions....consoles suck period....your console controllers and console wheel controllers aren't arcade grade materials/equipment and aren't doing it justice. I'm talking bout the single seater arcade unit with 3 screens for panoramic view and the full size replica metal shifter.

Driving technique in F355 Challenge is more true to real life than LFS is at the moment. LFS is close, but F355 is that much more closer when it first came out in 1999 and it still is to this day.

PC's do not come with arcade quality controllers, but there's nothing preventing you from buying them - so your comparison is invalid. High-end commercial grade controls and an immersive display will cost a fair amount of money - but purchasing an F355 arcade cabinet is probably even more expensive.

How does the software compare? Is F355 as realistic physics-wise as LFS?
nfsu is realistic like aliens in your barn
NFSU is the most realistic sim ever created (maybe Gran turismo 5 gets close).

You guys aren't taking this seriously!
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
Quote from Ikaponthus :...what is it about the ISI sims you dislike? Anything in particular?

I've tried GTR2 and R-Factor and I quite like them both...:-(

One thing is that you like it, and one different thing is that it´s realistic
Quote from adulterated :Your console or PC isn't anywhere near as powerful as the prehistoric arcade machine. It's one main reason why these games can't be emulated even with a quad or dual core.

This arcade game was made in 1990. The world's fastest super computer in 1990 was the NEC SX-3/44R. It ran at a whopping 400mhz and was able of calculating 23.2 GFlops. According to wikipedia, the "nVidia 8800 Ultra performs around 576 GFlops. The GPU on the PS3 runs at a claimed 2 teraFLOPS". Yeah, you must be right... today's computers are much slower than arcade machines from 1990... or am I missing the joke?

And just to put this into perspective... in 1997 (7 years after the arcade game was made), the cost per GFlop was $30,000 USD. Today, the cost per GFlop is $0.20.
Quote from adulterated :LMAO Technique your video of Race Drivin is a console version of the game, it's obvious because of how the car handles jerking left to right, typical of a analog stick control. Also, who would spend 50 cents to a dollar to do that on the actual arcade machine. ROFL That dumb Midway's Arcade Hits for XBOX. HAHA

The arcade version was free of any glaring bugs and glitches. Most were minor. Get over the console games.

And to tell you the truth, all console versions of Hard or Race Drivin had dumbed down physics. Your console or PC isn't anywhere near as powerful as the prehistoric arcade machine. It's one main reason why these games can't be emulated even with a quad or dual core. Hell I'm surprised you didn't come here with a Genesis or SNES version of Race Drivin.

Console and PC games have yet to amount to these arcade masterpieces. Therefore arcade sims own consoles and PC's.

Please tell me your not being serious??
hey where is GT4 i demand you put GT4 on!!!!!
I could care less about the schematics, how many cpus it had, or how poor the emulation is. Hell, my laptop can barely run an emulated version of Super Mario Bros. If this thread was an evaluation of the performance of modern emulation, perhaps your post would actually make sense.

We're comparing the physics of simulators. You brought up performance. I simply stated that a modern personal PC is quite a bit faster than ANY machine from 1990. This has nothing to do with emulation. I think you are a bit confused.

Have a nice day.
haha... sorry I usually don't get into this web arguments.

Anyway, back on topic. Since race drivin' is one of the best simulators we should add it to the list. It would be cool if someone could post a vid drifting around a course in the game.... I've never played the arcade version.
Meh, where's Street Rod? :smash3d:
The basis of your argument is like the MAME emulation of someone actually having a valid basis for an argument.

Don't ponder on the above too long - I hear spontaneous combustion can be painful.
nfsu2 simulation??........ ..... ....... hmm oh well.

I voted for lfs but it was a close call with rbr.
whoops i miss-read, i thought it said "most realistic ricing simulator.
Quote from adulterated :arcade stuff...

Do you have some video or some informations how complex was the Physics simulation of that Ferrari game?? I drove lots of those games in arcades and they were all rubish, interesting just because you are "inside the car" but the physics were uber crap.

Most realistic racing simulator?
(358 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG