Grand Prix Legends (2004)
NASCAR Racing 2003
R-Factor
The Papyrus games
GTR2
The ISI games
Most realistic racing simulator?
What do you guys think?
You speaking about LFS, or sim racing in generally?
#4 - nihil
ROFL... Worst place in the world to ask that question and get an objective answer... Really, If you're thinking of buying an S2 licence and want some kind of guidance, then ask some more precise questions...
Hehe, I`m not sure, maybe NR2003 was the most realistic simulator, but again - I have not played many sim`s, so I can`t really say.
Just added the poll.

Yeah, maybe won't get an objective answer. But a bit of fun anyway.

Remembering that LFS is only in alpha mode.
God I hope the NFS votes are a joke.

It's atrocious as far as realism goes. I put it in there for a laugh only. Even for an arcade game I think the physics suck.
Silly poll in a silly thread made by a silly irish person.
Silly Australian person.
ROFLMAO!!!
NFS has 4 votes!
#11 - Nobo
good that this forum wont be biased towards a sim
I voted for NFS.

It CLEARLY has the most realistic physics out of them all.
Warning - Ironic Poll Results!
LFS, GPL, NR2003 and Papyrus sims. All ISI games are crap.

To a mod: I missed the box for GPL - can you add one please (then remove this request so more don't get added by subsequent mods).
tristancliffe,

Just out of interest mate, what is it about the ISI sims you dislike? Anything in particular?

I've tried GTR2 and R-Factor and I quite like them both.

Genuine question.

P.S. Damn I forgot Richard Burns Rally in the Poll! :-(
Mainly the handling, the physics, the graphics and sound. But I'm not keen on the menus or the copy-protections either. Or the modding ethos on some of them. And the netcode is a bit 1980s too.

But other than those things they're great.
I demand RBR on that list!
didnt drive a car (at least not at a speed with more than 5kmh) yet, so i cant say it, but lfs is the best, the most fun, the biggest online comm., ........
Quote from Stefani24 :didnt drive a car (at least not at a speed with more than 5kmh) yet, so i cant say it, but lfs is the best, the most fun, the biggest online comm., ........

Driving a road car on the street isn't very similar to driving a racing car on a track, don't worry!

Actually, even driving a road car on a track!

Most serious speeding accidents on the road are caused by people who think they could drive a racing car, and think they can drive on the road like it was a racing track. They usually find out they're wrong the hard way.
NFS FTW!!! \o/
I wish I didn't put NFS in the poll.

It was a joke supposed to illustrate how bad those games physics are but everyone is voting for it.

Quote from tristancliffe :Mainly the handling, the physics, the graphics and sound. But I'm not keen on the menus or the copy-protections either. Or the modding ethos on some of them. And the netcode is a bit 1980s too.

But other than those things they're great.

Come on!!

What's so bad about them!?

The graphics, surely, you can't fault!! They're beautiful - much better than LFS and run twice as smoothly too (for me anyway). The sound also I think is very good.

The physics ... well, maybe I am not so qualified to comment in that department, but they're good enough to immerse me in any case! I must admit, LFS does have "something" about it that just makes it feel more "real", but it's nothing I can put my finger on ... I can't find any obvious major faults with the physics in GTR2....
Quote from Ikaponthus :Come on!!

The graphics, surely, you can't fault!! They're beautiful - much better than LFS and run twice as smoothly too (for me anyway). The sound also I think is very good.

rFactor graphics are in line with the worst I've ever seen to be honest. LFS with it's so-called terrible graphics beats it hands down

Edit: Voted for LFS and RBR, but haven't really tried GPL or NR2003...
Quote from Ikaponthus :Come on!!

The physics ... well, maybe I am not so qualified to comment in that department, but they're good enough to immerse me in any case! I must admit, LFS does have "something" about it that just makes it feel more "real", but it's nothing I can put my finger on ... I can't find any obvious major faults with the physics in GTR2....

Handling - not like a real car, either at low or high speeds, and the tyre modelling is appalling, even with months of work on the curves. It is flawed at the most basic level.

Sound - Sounds GREAT for 30 seconds. Then you realise you hear the same sample all the time, and can hear different samples fading in and out. Doesn't help your driving.

Graphics - More cartoony than Finding Nemo, and needs a great computer to get acceptable frame rates.

Menus - Slow and blingy. Ideal for teenagers.

Netcode - Slow, laggy, buggy and no better than Crammond's GP2 really

The major fault in GTR2 is the tyre curves. As all racing/driving is about the tyres interaction with the road this is a rather big flaw. The driving experience was improved over GTR1 by making all the curves unrealistic and arcadey, rather than fixing the underlying code.
Quote from Gil07 :rFactor graphics are in line with the worst I've ever seen to be honest. LFS with it's so-called terrible graphics beats it hands down

Edit: Voted for LFS and RBR, but haven't really tried GPL or NR2003...

Google "Grand Prix Legends 2004", the demo version is a free download. To make it the full version, all you need to do is copy the original tracks (also freely downloadable) into the tracks directory.

No racing sim enthusiast should be without it! The first and still one of (the?) best.

NR2003 is good fun too if you don't mind oval tracks. I don't.

Most realistic racing simulator?
(358 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG