The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
iRacing's tracks are so great, devs won't even let you drive on them.
Attached images
Sans titre.jpg
Poor Kevin Bouhalassa needs to remain anonymous aye?
He's silly enough on their forum, don't want to find him here.
that makes sense, anyway - keep it airbourne :P
Quote from PMD9409 :iRacing's tracks are so great, devs won't even let you drive on them.

Man that is depressing
Quote from PMD9409 :iRacing's tracks are so great, devs won't even let you drive on them.

Its a known fact that the graphical representation of tracks in iR has less detail than the physical representation to keep FPS up. In such case small differences like this can happen.
Quote from himself :Its a known fact that the graphical representation of tracks in iR has less detail than the physical representation to keep FPS up. In such case small differences like this can happen.

Im sorry but that is not a small difference to me. I was aware of this long before.. I dont like it, its bad work from them. I still own 100%..
I think it's really bad too. And it's not just momentary, it can go on for a whole straight, even when it's apparently flat to drive on. Which is odd, isn't it?
They should be able to optimize it to make it work surely. Didn't GPL also have that same issue (cars floating)?
Chevrolet Impala SS Class B is the only car getting updated to the new tire model tomorrow, right? or is it a different car? I skipped that car and got the sprint cup car instead... I was pondering "buying" the impala to try out the new tire model
That's what we are told, lets actually hope it comes out tomorrow.
Yep it[NW] is definately 100% ready for release. They also announced software update schedule today for the NTM preview release.

I'll also repost this below for those that don't have forum access.

Quote from David Kaemmer :
We’re very excited to get the new tire model into your hands and out into public view finally! We think you’ll find that the new tires are a lot of fun—at the same time easier to drive, but more challenging, too. For sure they are more realistic than the old tires—especially on the high speed ovals, which is why we’re letting you get a first look at them on the new Nationwide car. The car itself represents a big step forward in simulating a Nascar race car—the aerodynamics and suspension have been reworked in addition to the tires. But before you jump into the new Nationwide car and drop the clutch I thought I’d give you a few bits of information to help get you up to speed on these new tires.

First, you’re probably going to be best off if you start with the baseline setups provided with the car (click on the iRacing Setups tab in the garage). You may need to alter your driving style a bit to get the most out of these tires, and you can easily get into a hole by playing with the setup instead of playing with your line, and your technique.

Second, be patient—you’ll need to learn how you can change the balance of the car simply by altering your line, and by changing how and when you lift off and get back on the throttle. These tires, just like real tires, are very sensitive to heat buildup. When you’re going through a corner, especially on a high speed oval, the tire surface can heat up at 50 degrees per second! If the rear tires are heating up faster than the fronts, it’s sayonara—you’re going to spin. If the fronts are heating up faster, the car will be tight, and more steering will make it worse. When both ends are working nearly equally, you’ll know it—and you’ll find out why the drivers have a huge grin when their car is “hooked up.”

By changing how you drive a corner, you can control the heat buildup to a degree. If you drive in really hot, and crank in a lot of steering wheel angle (a very typical simracing technique), it will come as no surprise that you will get understeer, or push, and lots of it. If you do this lap after lap, your right front will likely not make a full fuel run without popping when you wear through the cords. Also you will be slow—maybe not on the first lap, but over a run you will lose a lot of time. That’s because the right front will lose a lot of grip as it nearly catches fire, and melts away.

An alternative is to back off a bit earlier, and turn the car down into the corner without a lot of steering wheel angle. Be patient, and apply the throttle only once the car is heading where you want it, and has rotated enough to get the rears working a bit. Now pick up the throttle, and you should feel the car bite. The easier you drive it into the corner, the earlier you can get back to the gas, but you might find that you start to heat the right rear more than the right front as you do this, and the car will get loose. You need to find the right amount to push the car in order to keep it balanced. A very slight brush on the brakes can do wonders on the way into a corner to get the front planted, and enough speed pulled off to get back on the gas. No need to mash the brakes—that’s another great way to overheat the fronts and move yourself to the back!

Once you have gotten comfortable with altering your driving style while lapping, and seeing how you can move the car from tight to loose and back again, then you might start to play with the car setup in order to fine tune things to be just how you like them. Pay close attention to how the tires are wearing, as much as to the temperatures. Remember that you can dramatically change the temperature and wear simply by changing how you drive, in addition to changing the setup. The keys to setting up the Nationwide car are to keep the front splitter as close to the ground as possible, and to get the four tires to share the workload as evenly as possible. The baseline setups do a good job at both, so if what you really want to do is race, just load the right setup for the track you’re driving, and forget it.

One small disclaimer: remember this is a preview of the new model; there are some features that are not done, such as smoke pouring from your locked up tires. We're still hard at work on completing it, but most of the important stuff is in there. I think it's fair to say that all of us here at iRacing and our dedicated crew of testers can't wait for you to try it--it is a ton of fun.

We hope you like this upgrade to our simulation, and rest assured we’ll continue to improve it for a long time to come!

-Dave Kaemmer

Source
Thank you for the DK post! I've read this comment on youtube:

Quote :There was some talk a month or so back on inRacing News about the NTM and some of the other cars. One they talked about it being the most noticeable on is the SRF [Spec Racer Ford]. As far as a big change. The SRF has a pretty notorious reputation as a difficult car to drive. Apparently the NTM makes it a bit easier to get a grasp on once you get used to it.

I don't remember reading any such thing on inRacing News..
soooo what do you guys think? should I buy the nationwide or just chill till august? so i can use the sprint cup car? is the ntm a lot better?
Buy the NW car and run it at Michigan, it's incredible, feels like a car now. Actually feels similar to LFS, but 10x better.
I'm back home on friday, cant wait to get to try it
Quote from Gabkicks :soooo what do you guys think? should I buy the nationwide or just chill till august? so i can use the sprint cup car? is the ntm a lot better?

Personally, I would wait until August. It's only a couple of months and I think everyone driving it now will act as beta testers ready for ironing out bits ready for August when the Ford GT comes and New tyre model for other cars too....
BUT PAYPAL MAKES IT SOOOOOOO EASY

I also had forgotten cars are $12 now, done deal.
A weird dumptruck too. They definately have made a step in the right direction, but who would have thought they would have a similar characteristic to LFS?

Car seems to become faster end of stint, which is definately not NASCAR style at all. On the oval it is a bit different. You run your fast lap lap 1, then drop about .5 and go up .1 each lap until you are about .6ish away from your best time, and just lap there forever. The grip never seems to fall off. I saw some people start gaining some time the last couple laps out of a 25 lap race.

Besides that though, only other things that need fixing is the wheel chatter and the crazy over-correcting (might just be setup).
Exams are over. Time to boot up iRacing
Quote from PMD9409 :A weird dumptruck too. They definately have made a step in the right direction, but who would have thought they would have a similar characteristic to LFS?

Car seems to become faster end of stint, which is definately not NASCAR style at all. On the oval it is a bit different. You run your fast lap lap 1, then drop about .5 and go up .1 each lap until you are about .6ish away from your best time, and just lap there forever. The grip never seems to fall off. I saw some people start gaining some time the last couple laps out of a 25 lap race.

Besides that though, only other things that need fixing is the wheel chatter and the crazy over-correcting (might just be setup).

All we need now is some endurance racing and us LFS guys will whoop ass. I personally cannot wait for endurance racing to be introduced, and hopefully the ford GT and the C6R will be used in some good leagues. Masters of Endurance anyone ?.. not that i've tried either of those cars yet
Was just in a MX5 cup race, started 8th, leading by lap 5... only to get taken out by a drunk back marker. The son of this back marker was on my ass in 2nd place apologizing to me that his dad was was drunk. Felt like dad takes out leader for son in 2nd.
Quote from aoun :Was just in a MX5 cup race, started 8th, leading by lap 5... only to get taken out by a drunk back marker. The son of this back marker was on my ass in 2nd place apologizing to me that his dad was was drunk. Felt like dad takes out leader for son in 2nd.

Pathetic. Protest it, they're probably gonna do it again (when will iRacing abolish that PG13 & family-friendly thing?).

A few questions on the NTM:
  • How does it handle on the grass?
  • What are the differences with nkPro?
  • What are the laptimes of the top drivers now? In hot lap, during a race and compared with real life times. Has the gap with slower drivers been reduced and how much.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG